PDA

View Full Version : Band packs vs Individual Artist packs

C.Linton
01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
So far, since 2014's release, all we've gotten for DLC , except for the initial 8 songs, is band packs (that's not a complaint, just an observation) Is this what we'll be getting for the foreseeable future? Will it ever go back to individual songs by different artists?

TheJohnNewton
01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
So far, since 2014's release, all we've gotten for DLC , except for the initial 8 songs, is band packs (that's not a complaint, just an observation) Is this what we'll be getting for the foreseeable future? Will it ever go back to individual songs by different artists?

Crystal ball says... I have no idea. Unless there is a leak or a clue given on Twitter (usually not far in advance) I don't think anyone here knows. The one clue out there now seems to point to a heavy band upcoming possibly System of a Down.

ceestewart
01-22-2014, 05:00 PM
I'd like to see some miscellaneous packs, maybe with a theme like punk, blues, classic rock or whatever. There's a lot bands out there with only 1 or 2 great songs we'll miss out on if they set the bar at 3.

cdamorrell
01-22-2014, 11:38 PM
shame if that's the future but they must make more money that way

Kynlore
01-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Opinion only, I think the majority will be single-band packs with a multi-band pack thrown in here or there.

CrazedRacer
01-23-2014, 02:25 AM
Opinion only, I think the majority will be single-band packs with a multi-band pack thrown in here or there.

And I'd hazard a guess that the first year will be mostly concentrated on people already in the game... If that means TP&H, that's fine by me.

BazzTard61
01-23-2014, 02:36 AM
it sure is getting expensive though, $17.95 (or $21.35 if Sony don't release the pack sigh) each week, but I love the variety

I'd hate to be a kid begging mum for 20 bucks every week

it is time for a mixed bag, like a 60s or a Motown pack kinda would be nice

felipe_the_one
01-23-2014, 04:40 AM
1 dlc per week is not enough IMO. I think 1 per day would be fair, being each day of the week dedicated to a set of music genres

LvlNinety9
01-23-2014, 05:13 AM
1 dlc per week is not enough IMO. I think 1 per day would be fair, being each day of the week dedicated to a set of music genres

I fail to see how this is not enough. It used to be one set of DLC every 2 weeks. 1 per day would be a bit much and I don't think it would be good for us.

TonyFarkas
01-23-2014, 05:36 AM
+1
Or maybe something like 5 ~ 6 songs a week
3 song artist pack
2 ~ 3 single songs ( in a different style than the artist pack ) or just a mixed bag of good songs.

icypineapple
01-23-2014, 07:19 AM
I don't want this to happen yet :)

rcole_sooner
01-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Remember do not ask for any dlc to be in the game.

I know some of the stuff I edited above was only borderline, but this could turn into a big dlc request thread in a hurry.

Keep the conversation about single band packs vs mutli-band packs.

I edited the title to make the thread purpose more clear.

Ezios_Axe
01-23-2014, 03:48 PM
I like the way it is but some one offs would be nice. Thinking about this logistically they are doing one pack per week. Talking to one band/label and getting access to 3-5 songs is a lot less time consuming than doing it with 3-5 bands/labels per week. It's probably also a lot easier with bands already on the game who have collected some checks and have been able to see a quality finished product the doesn't make them and their music look bad.

P308R
01-23-2014, 04:16 PM
There are of course pros and cons to both packs. For certain music I would prefer a band pack while for the other an individual pack. Why not release a "personalisation pack" where a player can pick 5 new songs from the DLC store for a "pack price".

TheJohnNewton
01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
I fail to see how this is not enough. It used to be one set of DLC every 2 weeks. 1 per day would be a bit much and I don't think it would be good for us.

From the point of view that they can't come close to ever meeting everyone's requests it's not enough.

guitarman529
01-23-2014, 05:36 PM
I am wondering if they are going to release band packs right now for the artist that appeared on RS2014. I buy the individual songs anyways unless I like every song in the pack to save hard drive space and money. I can see the individual multi song packs coming later on in the year. They could be doing these packs since they probably had the licenses done while they were working on RS2014. This will buy them time to try to get alot more bands licensed. Like the release of Disturbed and The Who, which is new to RS, I could see them releasing these packs just to get a bunch new bands and music to the game before they start releasing indivdual song packs.

LvlNinety9
01-23-2014, 07:44 PM
From the point of view that they can't come close to ever meeting everyone's requests it's not enough.

Given that there is so many different songs out there I highly doubt that even releasing DLC every day would meet that demand. One has to remember that just because there are songs our there that people want it has to be financially justifiable to release said song. Given the licensing fees, amount of work that goes into developing that content, one has to keep in mind the ROI for those songs. Say for instance they put in the song Whiskey a Go Go by MT Robison. Not to many people know about them or even what that song is. Would that justify putting that in as DLC? It's already been shown that not everyone will buy all the DLC that is released and even more so for a lot of people that don't know about a group. Sure there will be those who buy it because they are curious and such but would the ROI justify turning this song into DLC? Not in the least.

If you look at it from this point of view the DLC once a week is more then enough to put out songs that people are more willing to buy and play. If you flood it with DLC every day you have the potential to break yourself by putting out songs that might end up costing you more money in the end where as only doing DLC once a week you have less of a chance of doing so and can stretch out your bottom line.

felipe_the_one
01-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Given that there is so many different songs out there I highly doubt that even releasing DLC every day would meet that demand. One has to remember that just because there are songs our there that people want it has to be financially justifiable to release said song. Given the licensing fees, amount of work that goes into developing that content, one has to keep in mind the ROI for those songs. Say for instance they put in the song Whiskey a Go Go by MT Robison. Not to many people know about them or even what that song is. Would that justify putting that in as DLC? It's already been shown that not everyone will buy all the DLC that is released and even more so for a lot of people that don't know about a group. Sure there will be those who buy it because they are curious and such but would the ROI justify turning this song into DLC? Not in the least.

If you look at it from this point of view the DLC once a week is more then enough to put out songs that people are more willing to buy and play. If you flood it with DLC every day you have the potential to break yourself by putting out songs that might end up costing you more money in the end where as only doing DLC once a week you have less of a chance of doing so and can stretch out your bottom line.

Hmmm, not convinced yet. But ok, I agree with you on the financial issues. So, there's a much better solution for us (Rocksmith Community). Why dont they make and release a kind of "Official Song Creation Tool" for the game, so the community can develop new songs and increase the library by itself, as it happens to a plenty of other games. That would be absolutely great. There would be no licensing issues, development team amount of work issues, ROI issues or whatever, cause "what community creates is community's". Then, there will be a lot of new songs a week, of all styles and tastes, and everybody will be happy! So simple.

LvlNinety9
01-24-2014, 02:44 AM
Hmmm, not convinced yet. But ok, I agree with you on the financial issues. So, there's a much better solution for us (Rocksmith Community). Why dont they make and release a kind of "Official Song Creation Tool" for the game, so the community can develop new songs and increase the library by itself, as it happens to a plenty of other games. That would be absolutely great. There would be no licensing issues, development team amount of work issues, ROI issues or whatever, cause "what community creates is community's". Then, there will be a lot of new songs a week, of all styles and tastes, and everybody will be happy! So simple.

I think they mentioned something before as to why they didn't or wouldn't put out a song creator. That is a whole different type of conversation which I won't get into in this thread as I don't want to derail it and try to stay on topic.

thoman23
01-24-2014, 04:13 AM

Custom song creation!? What a pipe dream! No way that could ever happen. Amirite? I mean, I wouldn't even know where to start on how to do custom Rocksmith songs. I guess, hypothetically speaking, I would google it. But I'm sure nothing would come up. Oh well.

felipe_the_one
01-24-2014, 05:00 AM
I think they mentioned something before as to why they didn't or wouldn't put out a song creator. That is a whole different type of conversation which I won't get into in this thread as I don't want to derail it and try to stay on topic.

So bad, I would love to know why!

felipe_the_one
01-24-2014, 05:06 AM
Custom song creation!? What a pipe dream! No way that could ever happen. Amirite? I mean, I wouldn't even know where to start on how to do custom Rocksmith songs. I guess, hypothetically speaking, I would google it. But I'm sure nothing would come up. Oh well.

To make it a simpler task for us, they could add to the song creator tool an option like "import from tab", so we could give it a tab (as a text file or just pasting it into a text field) and then it would generate the highway-style equivalent song (with levels, separeted phrases, etc) instantly, and voi la, we could play any song we want in the game we love. Of course it would demand a majestic effort from the development team, but think how insane and useful would it be. But I also think they'll never implement a feature like that, so how could they give up the so profitable dlcs? Oh well.

thoman23
01-24-2014, 05:29 AM
To make it a simpler task for us, they could add to the song creator tool an option like "import from tab", so we could give it a tab (as a text file or just pasting it into a text field) and then it would generate the highway-style equivalent song (with levels, separeted phrases, etc) instantly, and voi la, we could play any song we want in the game we love. Of course it would demand a majestic effort from the development team, but think how insane and useful would it be. But I also think they'll never implement a feature like that, so how could they give up the so profitable dlcs? Oh well.

That would be totally insane and useful if there was like a Custom Song Toolkit that could read in something like a GuitarPro tab and then convert it into Rocksmith format. I bet the community would create a ton of custom songs then. You'd probably even see things like community filtering of these new songs into like a "submitted" and "approved" status. If I wasn't so sure it's a pipe dream, I'd google it, but I'm sure I wouldn't find anything so I won't bother.

BuzzKillingt0n
01-24-2014, 08:32 AM
I too wish they would let you pick: Either the whole pack for "X-price" or individual songs for "x-Price per song". Like they did with the OG RockSmith DLC.
I say this because there are time when I really only want like one or two song from a Artist pack. Take the Megadeath pack. I only bought Symphony, cause I really don't care for Hanger 18 or Public Enemy No1. Same thing happened with the Queen pack for me. I only really wanted to play like 3 of the 5 songs, so those were the ones I got. BTW why weren't Another one Bites the Dust, Best Friend, or The highlander Theme(not sure of actual title) on that? Its really keeping me from getting a few songs I may actually like from a Band I may not actually like ALL of the music from. I do hope they change it to a DLC Packs AND DLC ala-carte. other than that I am freaking LOVING this way more than the first RS.

BuzzKillingt0n
01-24-2014, 08:36 AM
The problem there is ALOT of TAB out there can differ from author to author. It would be really hard to get that implemented. I just recommend practicing from the TABS you already have in Session mode. WOnt sound 100% because of the play range in the instruments code and what-not but it would be close enough to practice.

C.Linton
01-24-2014, 01:54 PM
So bad, I would love to know why!

Because Ubisoft doesn't allow it. The potential for abuse (I.E, using such a program to allow people to use unlicensed material) is too much of a legal hassle, and could conceievably make it not worth their while to support RS anymore.

RichTheMighty
01-24-2014, 02:44 PM
They would never allow a song creator as that would negate the need to by DLC. I'm sure the financials of a game like Rocksmith depend on their being a long tail of income from DLC releases.

Regarding the first question. It makes sense to launch heavy on artist packs since that best supports RS now there is a rival in BandFuse. Every week a new artist pack is a new headline for the would be shopper along with people like us who might even have both games but are considering where to put their DLC $. I imagine as we get further in the future and they transition to catering more for existing customers than attracting new ones then there will be more themed packs.

TheJohnNewton
01-24-2014, 04:00 PM
That would be totally insane and useful if there was like a Custom Song Toolkit that could read in something like a GuitarPro tab and then convert it into Rocksmith format. I bet the community would create a ton of custom songs then. You'd probably even see things like community filtering of these new songs into like a "submitted" and "approved" status. If I wasn't so sure it's a pipe dream, I'd google it, but I'm sure I wouldn't find anything so I won't bother.

Gee if only you could give us some HINTS as to an existing alternative maybe by capitalizing the first letter of said alternative or is that too subtle? Perhaps if you put GOOGLE IT in bold type and made it RED?

TheJohnNewton
01-24-2014, 04:05 PM

I'm making no claim that it makes financial sense to do so. I did say "they can't come close to ever meeting everyone's requests". Unless they release every song ever recorded somebody will think the song selection is lacking. That was really my point.

mauibarber
01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
I'm a little surprised that they don't offer exclusive songs when buying the pack only. So you could only get that one song in the pack by buying the pack, no individual sale.

TheJohnNewton
01-24-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm a little surprised that they don't offer exclusive songs when buying the pack only. So you could only get that one song in the pack by buying the pack, no individual sale.

IMO, that would be a bad idea. You want to incent people to buy more (thus the price break on a full pack) but you don't want to upset or prevent people from being able to make a purchase which is what you would get with pack exclusive songs for people who refuse to buy the pack.

felipe_the_one
01-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Gee if only you could give us some HINTS as to an existing alternative maybe by capitalizing the first letter of said alternative or is that too subtle? Perhaps if you put GOOGLE IT in bold type and made it RED?

Hmm, I don't know but I have a strange feeling as you both are trying to tell me something :confused:
Maybe it's just my mind :)

rcole_sooner
01-24-2014, 08:41 PM
We are really not supposed to talk about the custom song stuff here.

That is a ubisoft thing.

Personally, however, I agree that it could hurt future DLC, if artists saw the custom stuff and got a bad vibe towards the game. We could argue copyright stuff, but I don't really know about that. I do know I don't want future new artists and/or songs compromised over something like this.

SquirrellyNinja
01-28-2014, 12:58 AM
I too wish they would let you pick: Either the whole pack for "X-price" or individual songs for "x-Price per song". Like they did with the OG RockSmith DLC.
I say this because there are time when I really only want like one or two song from a Artist pack. Take the Megadeath pack. I only bought Symphony, cause I really don't care for Hanger 18 or Public Enemy No1. Same thing happened with the Queen pack for me. I only really wanted to play like 3 of the 5 songs, so those were the ones I got. BTW why weren't Another one Bites the Dust, Best Friend, or The highlander Theme(not sure of actual title) on that? Its really keeping me from getting a few songs I may actually like from a Band I may not actually like ALL of the music from. I do hope they change it to a DLC Packs AND DLC ala-carte. other than that I am freaking LOVING this way more than the first RS.

You can still buy DLC either as individual tracks or as part of a song pack for those artist packs. Nothing has changed with RS2014 artist packs. Last week's Weezer pack? You could just buy Buddy Holly, Hash Pipe, and Island In The Sun if you wanted to.

Dizzyg12
01-28-2014, 01:10 AM
I think it will be band packs for the foreseeable future because of the negotiating tactics to the licensing. Like "if you want our #1 most wanted song, you have to take these B side tracks too." I think the artists really have the leverage here and UbI is smart enough to realize that in the long run they will sell more dlc this way. Some of the mixed packs from the first version I only bought one song, but so far I've splurged on full packs only for 14 because I've like 4/5 of the songs so why not just get the whole pack, right? So $12 is better for UbI than $3 or 6 right? It's simply comes down to profit.

that being said, there is likely to be some themed packs such as decades, blues, punk, etc, but I'd count on full band packs moreso.

daddy_felix
01-28-2014, 10:27 AM
Last week's Weezer pack? You could just buy Buddy Holly, Hash Pipe, and Island In The Sun if you wanted to.

Using the EU PSN store, you don't have another choice because they don't offer the weezer pack so far. maybe after this weeks update.