PDA

View Full Version : AC4 improvement over AC3?

my2012
01-19-2014, 11:50 PM
Just wondering if the game storyline wise is an improvement over AC3. The thought of AC4 being a pirated themed assassin game threw me off a little bit because I feel it was going from the stealthy aspect of the series and becoming more of an adventure/action game. I myself like those type of games but what makes the series interesting is the 'assassination' aspect of the game and the stealth which I feel is lacking.

Based on ratings and reviews it seems to me that the game is an improvement over AC3. I personally like AC3 although I do admit the story wasn't that engaging and the missions were boring at times. I know it's a bit late to ask this, but just want to hear your thoughts and opinions on AC4.

EDIT: I'm still considering getting the game at a later time, but for now I am passing on it

Assassin_M
01-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Story-wise? AC III knocks it out of the water, imo...everything else-wise?? it knocks all the ACs out of the water. There's lots of stealth, meaty side missions and Assassinations (Assassination side missions) It be over-doing it on the tailing side, though...there's lots of tailing missions....and Audio bugs...those are just so terrible.

Don't worry...if you're not a "Waaaaa waaaa, Edward is not a true Assassin because he iz a pirates" type of fan, you'll be completely satisfied. Stealth is implemented heavily in the game design and there's plenty of Assassinations and the freedom to approach them as you very well please. You'll feel like an Assassin, no doubt about it..

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 01:16 AM
The stealth in AC4 is probably the best the series has ever had. You'll hear many differing opinions on the story. Personally I didn't like AC3's story and think AC4's is miles better, but it's still no match for AC1 or AC2. AC4 is less heavy on the assassin philosophy and the Creed, it's more of a personal story about a man coming to terms with his past and maturing in his way of thinking.

masterfenix2009
01-20-2014, 01:47 AM
I personally think that this is the best AC yet. It has a very open and fun gameplay and definitely improved on the game design that was lacking in AC3. While I wish the Templars were developed a bit better, the main characters were very well written.

The stealth in AC4 is probably the best the series has ever had. You'll hear many differing opinions on the story. Personally I didn't like AC3's story and think AC4's is miles better, but it's still no match for AC1 or AC2. AC4 is less heavy on the assassin philosophy and the Creed, it's more of a personal story about a man coming to terms with his past and maturing in his way of thinking.
Just a question, if the assassin's philosophy and creed were excluded from this discussion, would you still say AC 1 and 2 were the best?

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 02:32 AM
Just a question, if the assassin's philosophy and creed were excluded from this discussion, would you still say AC 1 and 2 were the best?

I'm talking purely about the story. Since AC1's story was ALL about the assassins and their philosophy, that point is moot.
If all the assassin elements were stripped from AC2, would I still think it's a better story than AC4? Yes.

masterfenix2009
01-20-2014, 02:34 AM
I'm talking purely about the story. Since AC1's story was ALL about the assassins and their philosophy, that point is moot.
If all the assassin elements were stripped from AC2, would I still think it's a better story than AC4? Yes.
Ah, okay. Just wanted to know ;)

itsamea-mario
01-20-2014, 05:05 AM
AC4 was better than AC3.
In every, single, way.

Megas_Doux
01-20-2014, 05:18 AM
Base on my personal taste:

Story???? No
Combat? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mission Design? stealth??? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Side activities????? Yes.

Assassin_M
01-20-2014, 07:48 AM
Side activities????? Yes.
Why does this have a non-capital yes? :p

itsamea-mario
01-20-2014, 08:03 AM
The story in AC4 was well better.
well
better

SZLISZE
01-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Just wondering if the game storyline wise is an improvement over AC3. The thought of AC4 being a pirated themed assassin game threw me off a little bit because I feel it was going from the stealthy aspect of the series and becoming more of an adventure/action game. I myself like those type of games but what makes the series interesting is the 'assassination' aspect of the game and the stealth which I feel is lacking.

Based on ratings and reviews it seems to me that the game is an improvement over AC3. I personally like AC3 although I do admit the story wasn't that engaging and the missions were boring at times. I know it's a bit late to ask this, but just want to hear your thoughts and opinions on AC4.

EDIT: I'm still considering getting the game at a later time, but for now I am passing on it

Prefer 3 's backdrop.
It's good, I liked 3 more, since it had more story with a smaller area to have it on. Plus Jaeggers are tougher than Manhunter Man O'Wars (great for the Fleet though). Also the Assassin thing too, hate the desk job thing. III multi was better. 4 has better social aspects via Uplay and System friends. It actually shows a longer process to being won over by the Assassins than III. Expands on what you learn of Kidd in III as well. I recommend it, I don't recommend Pay-Per DLCs, but never do in any game.

Alcaeus616
01-20-2014, 11:14 AM
The "greater story" isn't all that in AC4. It has very little to do with the great power struggles and present day doom events like in the other ACs. However, I think AC4 focuses a lot more on the characters themselves. The characters are so much more interesting than in AC3 (Edward is actually very likeable, compared to Connor the Angry Cow). Their stories, motivation and development actually made me care for them, and like them. When people make decisions they do so for a reason, and when people die it's truely a sad thing.

Aphex_Tim
01-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Their stories, motivation and development actually made me care for them, and like them. When people make decisions they do so for a reason, and when people die it's truely a sad thing.

Sequence 13 had me shed a single, manly tear.

SZLISZE
01-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Manly...hehe..okay...

Aphex_Tim
01-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Are you questioning my utterly majestic manliness?

Alcaeus616
01-20-2014, 12:09 PM
I felt so sad by the end. Edward is a great guy, and some of the things he goes through really got to me.

dbzk1999
01-20-2014, 02:06 PM
What made the game good was how they focused on the human side of pirates not really any stereotypes

Fatal-Feit
01-20-2014, 02:46 PM
AC:3's story is still the best. AC:IV could have been better but it was lacking substance. In general, they had a similar feeling, but AC:IV felt like a dumb down version that targeted a simpler audience. Not that it's a bad thing. I quite liked it, actually. :)

Combat was twice as good in AC:3. AC:IV stripped most of the animations and completely dumb down the mechanics. You can take down several brutes and agiles in seconds by simply breaking their guards. And Edward is forced to kick captains in the rear, making tool counters absolutely useless. Not to mention how slow, clunky, and glitchy the visuals are.

The naval was also dumb down on both mechanics and visuals, but I still enjoyed it and I'm sure everyone else preferred it over AC:3's too. It would have been nice to get a bigger brig and the varied cannons but overall, being able to seamlessly sail between land & sea and board ships is a big plus.

In general, AC:IV simplifies just about everything in AC:3 but heavily improves over what it failed to do. The cities are beautiful and memorable, stealth is doable without a headache, and the main sequences are no longer holding your hand every step of the way.

SenseHomunculus
01-20-2014, 04:50 PM
What made the game good was how they focused on the human side of pirates not really any stereotypes

Definitely, this. I never felt they were at all cartoonish or cliched, except maybe when Edward was stranded with Vane. (That got kinda weird.) This was exemplified in Thatch's amazing "intimidation" speech (http://youtu.be/lsAqMyxl8cI). The "Course it does" kicker at the very end and that Edward is smiling the whole time is great.

LoyalACFan
01-20-2014, 05:21 PM
AC3 had a better story, but it suffered from very poor pacing/presentation and WAY too much emphasis on things that weren't directly relevant to Connor. Overall, while AC4's story isn't as complex or thought-provoking, it holds its own because it's presented in a coherent and efficient manner. There's very little in AC4 that feels irrelevant or unnecessary, which was not the case at all in AC3.

Landruner
01-21-2014, 04:50 AM

Personally I think that AC3 had a better story than AC4, but unfortunately the story of AC3 drowned in a festival of poor execution and poor direction and it did not give much potential for the majority of people in order to really appreciate it as it should have been - AC4 for sure improved for this part comparing to AC3, the execution was better and improved, however; i always felt that something was missing... - My biggest problem with AC4 was that although I did enjoy the pirate part and activities, I did not really enjoy the main part and especially the assassins part and missions of the game - In short, I did enjoy the side activities the most, but i did not really enjoy the main missions of the game, and i did not really care or felt involved or even moved by the story or even for Edward like i had been with the previous game and for the previous heroes of the games.

Like i mentioned at the the beginning it is my personal opinion, and I respect anyone that felt otherwise than mine.

my2012
01-22-2014, 05:38 AM
Thank you for the replies.

Syler99
01-22-2014, 05:53 AM
Storyline I'd say its weak you were lead to believe in advertisements it was suppose to be your typical but fun high seas adventure with a flawed hero who is conflicted about his life's course between both orders but the actual game story has lots of cut out material that is very obvious so what you're left with is a not so confused pirate who wants money, money, girls, and money, and sometimes he wants his wife back so he isn't conflicted about either order he just goes along with each side as they show up and drops out when its not convenient for him. You get to sandbox explore most of the time and loot lots of ships in your path. AC3 however is the weakest story I've seen all series they should've just interchanged Conner with Forest and then it could've been entertaining with the glitches, poor event connecting, and the bi-polar lead I hated it.

What has improved though over AC3 is the mechanics better eagle eye, better running animations, you get to do what you want and not be tied to a city, a little more emotion in our lead, and better ship fighting mechanics thought if you loved the speed from last game they took that away and also gave you some awful steering.

Gibbo2g_83
01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
I think Black Flag is a millions times better than AC3 in everyway except for combat and weapon choice infact if it wasn't for the fact that Connor has the best combat and weapon choice out of all the games I would of give up on the game I was so bored at times. Black Flag restored my faith in AC completely as has Liberation HD which is also miles better than 3 in my opinion. If you choose not to buy black Flag your missing out on one of the best AC games in the series if not the best.