PDA

View Full Version : Is AC4 better on PC?

Rockpixel
01-19-2014, 02:46 PM
I have never played an AC game on PC before and was wondering how it was. Are the controls good? Any lag issues? Any problems?

AgentPerry54321
01-19-2014, 03:26 PM
In my opinion yes, if you have a good PC which can run the game on full Graphics its the best on PC and I haven't had any problems on PC with it yet

Frag_Maniac
01-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Yes, I agree, better on PC. I have a 7970 I paid $330 for, but got 3 nice games free with it (Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution). So really it was like getting a high end card for under $250.

My neighbor has it on PS4, probably the most powerful console out right now, and right away I noticed some differences. The nearby hills when sailing Bonnet's schooner out of the bay show flickering foliage textures, and shadows on the faces of NPCs flicker as well.

I also helped him get through the mission where you have to chase after a pick pocket that steals Bonnet's money when you get to Havana, and it was WAY easier to zig zag through the narrow alleyways without running into things on PC. He doesn't have such problems in Uncharted. AC is a game with lumped together run/high profile controls, so you really need a controller that 's responsive and intuitive for aiming and steering for navigation. IMO nothing does that better than a mouse. The only reason I got him through that part is the game does center the camera behind the player somewhat with gamepad, although slowly. Had I used the aiming stick I'd have had the same problem he did. It's OK if you are very good with a gamepad I suppose, if not, there could be many frustrations.

I played NFS Rivals with him extensively on his PS4 last night to help him get through some events, and that game is hugely different from PC. LOADS of bad texture pop-ins and flickering textures on hills in the distance. Some small sections of fences and guardrails were shimmering and flickering too, to the point where it actually looked like something moving or rain from a distance.

We also had a few disconnects out of the blue, and the pursuit tech often had a delay to deploying.

I don't have any of these problems with those games on PC. I f you get AC IV on PC though, I would not recommend a Uplay or Origin version. I got mine from Steam and haven't had all the bugs most with Uplay versions talk about. You still have to run Uplay to play the game, but the difference is, you don't download or install it via Uplay.

tunnelcat
01-19-2014, 09:52 PM
The game looks far better on a PC. It's absolutely gorgeous! I'm also impartial and used to a mouse and keyboard, but I've heard that more complicated moves can be done with a controller. However, I'm not used to console controllers, so I suck at playing when using one. Besides, you can't get that fine aiming control with a controller either.

Ragingpoo
01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
I personally use a 360 controller for fair amount of my games but I'd imagine mouse and keyboard would be decent and playable.
Lag, played a day of multiplayer today and no lag what-so-ever, or If you are referring to low & stuttering fps, that would depend entirely on your computer, on my old E8500, 4GB ram and GTX 260, I can run it on 1080p with everything on low/medium and it's playable, on my new build, i5 4570, 8Gb ram and GTX 760, maxed it and although I haven't checked the fps, it's extremely smooth so it's constant 40+ imo.
Problems - the major downside of pc gaming, what works on my pc doesn't mean it'll on yours due to difference in hardware, and their associated driver/firmwares, I have zero problems with it, the only problem I had was unable to start multiplayer, but a quick search, setting the multiplayer exe to run as admin, all solved.

and I will second the comment on uPlay, given the choice, go steam (got mine with mew gfx card so no choice). Just did a test, from double-clicking uPlay to actually able to click play AC4, took 52 seconds. Steam - from double click to actually press play on a game - 10 seconds. oh and downloading the game via uPlay? uPlay shows download speed of 20-60kb/s although a bandwidth montioring programs shows it's using 300kb/s (my whole line), reason? don't know, good thing I was able to grab the game files from my friend's pc and updated it via uPlay so i only had about 1gb to download.

Frag_Maniac
01-20-2014, 02:57 AM
...and I will second the comment on uPlay, given the choice, go steam (got mine with mew gfx card so no choice). Just did a test, from double-clicking uPlay to actually able to click play AC4, took 52 seconds. Steam - from double click to actually press play on a game - 10 seconds. oh and downloading the game via uPlay? uPlay shows download speed of 20-60kb/s although a bandwidth montioring programs shows it's using 300kb/s (my whole line), reason? don't know, good thing I was able to grab the game files from my friend's pc and updated it via uPlay so i only had about 1gb to download.

Uplay uses far more RAM than Steam too, about 152-192MB, vs just 25-58MB for Steam.

Jdeadevil
01-20-2014, 04:40 AM
Did the console version have a button to toggle targets you were aiming at? The PC version doesn't.

ROFLBOT
01-20-2014, 10:20 AM
On PC you will experience a very beautiful gaming experience, if you have a decent gaming rig of course. If you're not familiar with the PC controls then you can hook up an Xbox 360 controller and play with it, even though aiming with mouse and such will be a lot better.

Rockpixel
01-21-2014, 04:01 AM
I would not recommend a Uplay or Origin version..

Origin is still a thing? Wow.......

Thanks guys! Very helpful :D

September_o3
01-21-2014, 05:14 PM
I have never played an AC game on PC before and was wondering how it was. Are the controls good? Any lag issues? Any problems?

I bought an Invidia gtx660 3gb for battlefield 4 and got a free download for Black Flag. Needless to say, once I downloaded AC4 I haven't played BF4 since sometime last week. This game is superb. I have set the graphic settings to high, and have never seen a better looking game. The ocean and sailing is truely breathtaking. I have been at sea 70 miles off shore during squals and it felt completely natural to me. The colors are outstanding, the sea is a fickle mistress and changes at a drop of a hat, now green now blue now gray now azure. Great job Ubi.. So to answer your question, it was brilliant, no lag but a few direct x crashes before the updates, all smooth sailing now lad. ":)

Arwin_Mathew
01-21-2014, 05:15 PM
For me it is.

Nitrotoluene
01-24-2014, 11:46 PM
I often need to look at YouTube videos when I get stuck at certain points in the game, and have noticed how much better the ocean, for one thing, looks on my PC than it does on videos recorded from consoles like Xbox.

I do however have troubles with the PC keyboard as a controller. Needing to curl your fingers around so that you can press Shift, W, A, S, D, E, F and the Space keys when required in quick action scenes I find is quite painful after some time and wonder if a console controller would not be better.

Rockpixel
02-01-2014, 01:31 AM
How big is the file size of the download? My internet isn't very good so getting the disk might be better for me if its too large.

playlisting
02-01-2014, 01:57 AM
There are a few fps problems. You have to have a pretty monster PC for this to stay at 60 fps solid. I'm using a GTX 670, i5 3570k and 16GB of RAM and I still can't get solid 60 while running through cities or when I'm fighting other ships when sailing. (on smaller islands and just normal sailing I get 60 fps) I never get less than 40-50 fps but I really like it when it stays at a solid 60. I'm using pretty much everything on max at 1920x1080 apart from the AA which I have set to FXAA as opposed to MSAA. If you have a PS4 I think it would be the best way to go because as far as I know you get a solid 60 fps at proper 1920x1080 rather than the up-scaling that happened on the 360/PS3, plus I think the graphics settings are equal to around medium - high on the PC from what I've seen. However if you have a system capable or you're quite happy to turn down some of the more intensive options, then the PC version is definitely the one you should choose.

Wrath2Zero
02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
There are a few fps problems. You have to have a pretty monster PC for this to stay at 60 fps solid. I'm using a GTX 670, i5 3570k and 16GB of RAM and I still can't get solid 60 while running through cities or when I'm fighting other ships when sailing. (on smaller islands and just normal sailing I get 60 fps) I never get less than 40-50 fps but I really like it when it stays at a solid 60. I'm using pretty much everything on max at 1920x1080 apart from the AA which I have set to FXAA as opposed to MSAA. If you have a PS4 I think it would be the best way to go because as far as I know you get a solid 60 fps at proper 1920x1080 rather than the up-scaling that happened on the 360/PS3, plus I think the graphics settings are equal to around medium - high on the PC from what I've seen. However if you have a system capable or you're quite happy to turn down some of the more intensive options, then the PC version is definitely the one you should choose.

PS4 version is locked to 30fps. May as well use MSAA, it makes your GPU work harder and keeps it above 80% initialisation to make up for the poor CPU threading in this game on the PC.

Locopells
02-01-2014, 07:38 PM
How big is the file size of the download? My internet isn't very good so getting the disk might be better for me if its too large.

Massive. Took me all day and a bit, on a decent high speed connection (not to mention the download hogged the entire bandwidth for the whole house).

Get the disk...

playlisting
02-01-2014, 08:56 PM
PS4 version is locked to 30fps. May as well use MSAA, it makes your GPU work harder and keeps it above 80% initialisation to make up for the poor CPU threading in this game on the PC.

30 fps? Well then PC is definitely the way to go. Better graphics at higher frames. What more could you want! For the OP regarding the controls, I'd recommend using an Xbox 360 controller for AC even if you are opting for the PC version. It feels a lot nicer than a mouse and keyboard for this game IMO.

killerPanda88
02-01-2014, 09:11 PM
its the onlyway i play pc games unless its a rts strategy game like empire earth. either way you can get xpadder if your game doesnt support controllers and this game is phenominal. the graphics, the water is unbelieveble. tgis game when your sayiling really gives you the feeling like the world is a big place like real world. just wished theutilized all of the world space and the whole world space map was alittle bigger.

Rockpixel
02-02-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure how well my rig is compare to the req specs because some of the things have confusing names and I'm a tech noob........So can anyone tell me if I can run it?

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5450
Ram: 8 GB
Processor: AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor
Processor speed: 3.30 GHz

I probably won't be playing on max graphics.

playlisting
02-02-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure how well my rig is compare to the req specs because some of the things have confusing names and I'm a tech noob........So can anyone tell me if I can run it?

Best way to tell if your system will be able to handle this game is by going on -

http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Type in: Assassin's creed IV: Black Flag and see if you meet the recommended specs. If you don't meet the recommended and you have one of the next gen consoles, then I'd advise picking it up on one of those instead. The minimum requirements won't cut it if you're planning on playing at decent settings on a resolution above 1600x900.

Wrath2Zero
02-03-2014, 02:35 AM

Your graphics card is seriously weak, it's weaker than the last gen consoles and only has DDR3 12GB/sec so don't even bother.

Zombie844
02-03-2014, 08:39 AM
no not really had to buy a controller to access the quick menu to be able to throw the knife the console controller was much easier to use after a few minutes learning to use it

Belahzur20
02-03-2014, 02:49 PM
I'm running a 3350 i5 @ 3.5ghz quad core CPU, 16gb RAM and a 7750 AMD GPU. I usually run my graphics on low and the only times my frames dropped was from the smoke from firing the heavy shot.

But from PC to console, I'm fairly certain in any 3rd person game, moving the camera to move around is easier/faster on a mouse than controller.

xxxllleeet
02-03-2014, 03:26 PM

ONLY IF YOUR PC IS TOP GEAR SHOULD YOU DARE TO BUY THIS TITLE FOR PC!

Otherwise, stick with even the x-360... or any applicable console. I have run the PC version on a pretty beefy computer... yet got slow-mo. Ran it on my gaming desktop works like a dream.

I wouldnt say the controls are better. But when you are like me and have like 5k hours experience with the controls IN active pvp/raid pve.... then hell yes PC is going to be the edge! Mind you- I am sure an experienced console captain can equalize and do so for less out of pocket $$.

quad core intel 2.4, 16 gb, amd 6600. works like a dream. hook up a logitech and a g15 .... but these games dont use that many keys so it aint really necessary - EXCEPT if you want to spread out the workload on your hands.

playlisting
02-03-2014, 11:16 PM

Also, the game barely uses four cores. Not because it doesn't need to (because it does) but because of the engine it's run on. Anvil Next doesn't seem to take advantage of multi core CPU's, so your six core might only be using half if not less of the cores than it has available. Console would definitely be the best option for you.