PDA

View Full Version : How explicit are the sexual themes in Black Flag...

JunYah7
01-19-2014, 09:09 AM
As you can tell I'm a newbie to AC. My knowledge of this franchise only extends as far as walkthroughs of the 1 and 2, hearing about it from fans, and the AC Liberations HD demo. However, Black flag has really interested my because its the newest title and the Freedom Cry DLC. But I have been very hesitant in getting it because of the sexual themes. My little brother loves watching me play my games, and I don't want him exposed to anything overtly age inappropriate. I guess what I am asking are there any sex scenes, or sexual content , visual or even auditory, that would be too much for him and can it be avoided or skipped at all.

Thanks so much in advance....:cool:

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 09:14 AM
Nah, AC I, ACR, AC III and AC IV are fine in that department. AC II and ACB;however, have sex scenes, sooooo...

AC IV just has cleavage..

HiddenKiller612
01-19-2014, 10:20 AM
But you'll have him watch you kill hundreds of guards?

poptartz20
01-19-2014, 10:47 AM
Yeah.. there was basically nothing In AC4 considering in the NA version of the game they cut part of the original trailer that has Edward walking away from a bed of nude women. It was replaced with a ship. haha. which I thought was weird.

I wonder if they re-wrote some parts of Eddy. because I thought he was going to be more... "sexed up" ?

pacmanate
01-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Darby said on twitter or something that being sexed up wasnt really his character. That isnt an exact quote but he was talking about those women you can sleep with in the game that are by the manor and how he didnt want that to be in the game as it wasnt a good reflection of what Edward was like.

Syr.Jake
01-19-2014, 07:38 PM
But I have been very hesitant in getting it because of the sexual themes. My little brother loves watching me play my games, and I don't want him exposed to anything overtly age inappropriate.

So killing 5000+ people is okay, but the possibility of seeing a boob, or hearing words that indicate sex, is not appropriate?

*SMH*

If you let your children/grandchildren/baby brother or sister, read the bible, then they are perfectly capable of being exposed to any of the AC games. There is more sex in the bible than there is ALL of the AC games combined.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Remember t hat announcement trailer? Yeaah none of that actually happens

KingNova7
01-19-2014, 08:30 PM
almost non-existent. Kinda strange for a pirate game tbh

Kagurra
01-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Remember t hat announcement trailer? Yeaah none of that actually happens

Oh corporate advertising. :rolleyes:

Hans684
01-19-2014, 08:53 PM
almost non-existent. Kinda strange for a pirate game tbh

To much POTC?

lothario-da-be
01-19-2014, 08:56 PM
I was realy dissapointed in this, after the anouncement trailer i expected this game to be full of sexual content :mad:
In fact i bought the game for it.

Kagurra
01-19-2014, 09:16 PM
I was realy dissapointed in this, after the anouncement trailer i expected this game to be full of sexual content :mad:

Nnnnnnnnnnice!

JunYah7
01-20-2014, 01:49 AM
But you'll have him watch you kill hundreds of guards?

Not really. I could fight guards unarmed. That cuts down on the amount of killing, really...

masterfenix2009
01-20-2014, 01:53 AM
You still have to kill some people...

JunYah7
01-20-2014, 02:04 AM
So killing 5000+ people is okay, but the possibility of seeing a boob, or hearing words that indicate sex, is not appropriate?

*SMH*

If you let your children/grandchildren/baby brother or sister, read the bible, then they are perfectly capable of being exposed to any of the AC games. There is more sex in the bible than there is ALL of the AC games combined.

You don't have to kill everybody you fight. Plus from playing the Liberation demo I prefer unarmed combat anyway, its way more epic in my opinion. Why do you make it seem that the Bible is full of sex. I don't think one can make a comparison to the Bible and Sexual content on tv. Most of the time the bible just tells you what a person did like: So an so knew so and so. Or Judah went into a harlot etc. But it never goes into detail or gives explicit accounts of sexual acts. The only exception was with Onan and Tamar and even that was mild. My brother knows about sex, its not like I trying to keep him from knowing that it exists. But video games can get very graphic with sensual/sexual content and nudity, partial or full. And frankly, I'd rather him watch me beat up a bunch of guards then see sex scenes and nude characters.

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 02:37 AM
I'm pretty sure you can also turn off blood in the AC games, at least it used to be an option. Of course, that doesn't stop swords going through people's skulls and whatnot. :p

Anyway, AC2 has one scene in which you can undress a girl in a quicktime event (you still don't see her boobs, but if you're squeamish about the very suggestion of nudity...). If you skip the QTE, her clothes stay on and the scene fades to black. In ACB there's a much more explicit sex scene that leaves little to the imagination. The other games have none.

AdamPearce
01-20-2014, 02:43 AM
I'm pretty sure you can also turn off blood in the AC games, at least it used to be an option. Of course, that doesn't stop swords going through people's skulls and whatnot. :p

Anyway, AC2 has one scene in which you can undress a girl in a quicktime event (you still don't see her boobs, but if you're squeamish about the very suggestion of nudity...). If you skip the QTE, her clothes stay on and the scene fades to black. In ACB there's a much more explicit sex scene that leaves little to the imagination. The other games have none.

ACB's scene was soooooooooooooooo weird.

Assassin_M
01-20-2014, 02:44 AM
ACB's scene was soooooooooooooooo weird.
and unfair....completely naked Ezio, but Catarina was almost fully clothed

where's the equality? Ezio should have been fully clothed too

AdamPearce
01-20-2014, 03:33 AM
and unfair....completely naked Ezio, but Catarina was almost fully clothed

where's the equality? Ezio should have been fully clothed too

It's funny since they actually created a texture for Catarina's...fur. And in the morning her clothes are gone, just so weird, it's the kind of stuff that makes me regrets AC doesn't fully accept the fact that's it's 18+. Black Flag shoud had had boobs.

ShoryukenMan
01-20-2014, 03:39 AM
Unarmed combat won't get you very far in ACIV. Especially against snipers. And I'm not sure, but I don't think you can take down brutes with unarmed combat. I always broke their defense then counter killed them. I'll have to recheck to make sure, though. But, as far as I recall there's no sex in the game at all.

JunYah7
01-20-2014, 03:44 AM

Thx for the info. I'm not squeamish about nudity. I watch game of thrones. Its just my lil'bro that I don't want to see it.

Yes I believe every AC game you can turn off the blood. At least that is what I heard. I know for sure Liberation has that option...

AdamPearce
01-20-2014, 03:50 AM
Thx for the info. I'm not squeamish about nudity. I watch game of thrones. Its just my lil'bro that I don't want to see it.

Yes I believe every AC game you can turn off the blood. At least that is what I heard. I know for sure Liberation has that option...

Never, EVER, play Far Cry 3 in front of him, this game contains as much sex than fun. No seriously the game is not for childrens, I think it's the only where the ESRB ticket is legit.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 05:10 AM
TBH I was a bit disappointed too...
I hated Naval in AC3 so all I had going for me was story...the announcement trailer really intrigued me because he seemed anti ezio.. a womanizer instead of a charmer
He was after booty and...booty!
I was a bit sad we didnt really see any of this in Edwards story
he was just after gold :(

Alcaeus616
01-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Nope, no real nudity that i can remember. And boy I remember nudity. But maybe you shouldn't play ASSASSIN's Creed in front of your little brother if you don't want him to see people dying.

Aphex_Tim
01-20-2014, 10:43 AM
There's an conversation between Vidic and Subject 1 somewhere in the Abstergo database about Aveline's sex drive; that's pretty much all there is to it I think.

D.I.D.
01-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Aside from the killing, there's language right from the start that might not be suitable for your little brother. The filter here prevents me from writing them explicitly, but they begin with "f" and "cu".

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 11:37 AM
TBH I was a bit disappointed too...
I hated Naval in AC3 so all I had going for me was story...the announcement trailer really intrigued me because he seemed anti ezio.. a womanizer instead of a charmer
He was after booty and...booty!
I was a bit sad we didnt really see any of this in Edwards story
he was just after gold :(
The impression the trailer gave to most people was that he would actually be like Ezio. And thank GOD he was not a womaniser!! I would seriously vomit if they made him like that in the story. There are a lot of female gamers, too, and womanisers are not popular character types among us. I am thankful to Ubi they didn't cater to dudebros for this game. Now I can only hope this trend continues in the future.

SZLISZE
01-20-2014, 12:10 PM
As you can tell I'm a newbie to AC. My knowledge of this franchise only extends as far as walkthroughs of the 1 and 2, hearing about it from fans, and the AC Liberations HD demo. However, Black flag has really interested my because its the newest title and the Freedom Cry DLC. But I have been very hesitant in getting it because of the sexual themes. My little brother loves watching me play my games, and I don't want him exposed to anything overtly age inappropriate. I guess what I am asking are there any sex scenes, or sexual content , visual or even auditory, that would be too much for him and can it be avoided or skipped at all.

Nothing really. Given it was not an era known for "No means no."

ConanTheLeader
01-20-2014, 02:43 PM
There's innuendo. Quite a bit from one of the drunk pirates and debauchery is mentioned several times. Edward Kenway, the main character can even sleep with women in his house although the screen goes black and then just shows a clothed woman lying on his bed.

You never see any actual nudity though.

Fatal-Feit
01-20-2014, 02:52 PM
The impression the trailer gave to most people was that he would actually be like Ezio. And thank GOD he was not a womaniser!! I would seriously vomit if they made him like that in the story. There are a lot of female gamers, too, and womanisers are not popular character types among us. I am thankful to Ubi they didn't cater to dudebros for this game. Now I can only hope this trend continues in the future.

Me too! I'm looking forward to see what sort of protagonists we're going to get in the future.

LoyalACFan
01-20-2014, 05:30 PM
No nudity, as everyone else said, but there is a whole slew of bad language. Think of a curse word, and it's probably in there. Dunno if that's gonna be an issue for your bro, but just so you know.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah... (This isn't a sarcastic remark directed at you but an actual thing)
I forgot that reviewers let being offended effect their score..
For example Gamestop's reviewer gave GTA V a 9 simply because of how women were portrayed...
Adam Sessler (and many others) crying about 'bros before hos' trophy in GOW ascension to where they patched it.
And the constant 'mediocre' reviews that Suda 51 games get because they are offensive to either fat people or women....
Why do the "nerds" of the world have to try and be the knight in shining armor and are so anti 'dudebro' and cry everytime a woman is objectified in a game..
Sure it's rare to see in videogames now...but it shouldn't be so negatively received, ESPECIALLY if its for character development..its a harsh reality of todays culture....
I'm not saying womanizing or objectifying is OKAY, but it's a shame to think that they decided to not make this part of his character in game just to spare feelings..

And PS the lady in GOW was a demond that kept trying to seduce you the whole game...a total ho!

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 06:17 PM
For example Gamestop's reviewer gave GTA V a 9 simply because of how women were portrayed...
Adam Sessler (and many others) crying about 'bros before hos' trophy in GOW ascension to where they patched it.
And the constant 'mediocre' reviews that Suda 51 games get because they are offensive to either fat people or women....
Why do the "nerds" of the world have to try and be the knight in shining armor and are so anti 'dudebro' and cry everytime a woman is objectified in a game..
Sure it's rare to see in videogames now...but it shouldn't be so negatively received, ESPECIALLY if its for character development..its a harsh reality of todays culture....
I'm not saying womanizing or objectifying is OKAY, but it's a shame to think that they decided to not make this part of his character in game just to spare feelings..
I personally don't find it a shame or a case of political correctness but a relief. Since we already had a very similar character with Ezio. Not saying that companies should skip womanizing characters but see for example this post on tumblr by female gamers (reblogged thousands of times) about how big of a problem female portrayal in games has been so far: http://keepingitupwiththekenways.tumblr.com/post/73863662742/gamers-get-hella-uncomfortable-over-male-sexuality (Womanizing male characters are part of the problem).

edit: great point by sixkeys below.

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 06:17 PM

And PS the lady in GOW was a demond that kept trying to seduce you the whole game...a total ho!

Yeah, why can't we have racism in video games too? Man, l sure wish more games would go around throwing the N word around and having the hero be a member of the Klan. I mean, it's just the harsh reality of today's culture. Why should we care whether black people can enjoy games too? Why should we care if they want to have fun without being reminded of their inferior status in society all the time while they're playing? We need a "White Power" achievement, amirite?

Will_Lucky
01-20-2014, 06:32 PM
Not Explicit enough. Give it the 18 rating it deserves Ubi :p.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 06:33 PM
I personally don't find it a shame or a case of political correctness but a relief. Since we already had a very similar character with Ezio. Not saying that companies should skip womanizing characters but see for example this post on tumblr by female gamers (reblogged thousands of times) about how big of a problem female portrayal in games has been so far: http://keepingitupwiththekenways.tumblr.com/post/73863662742/gamers-get-hella-uncomfortable-over-male-sexuality (Womanizing male characters are part of the problem).

Dante's Inferno has male frontal nudity and back frontal male nudity..sure i felt a little uncomfortable, but i wasnt offented and it added to the game more than take away from it

Yeah, why can't we have racism in video games too? Man, l sure wish more games would go around throwing the N word around and having the hero be a member of the Klan. I mean, it's just the harsh reality of today's culture. Why should we care whether black people can enjoy games too? Why should we care if they want to have fun without being reminded of their inferior status in society all the time while they're playing? We need a "White Power" achievement, amirite?

Why not though? Why is gaming so afraid to go there when movies will in the blink of an eye...games have ratings just like movies do...
Let's say we got an AC in the time of Abraham Lincoln..
And we were a slave/former slave
I would feel almost like ubisoft is insulting my intelligence if i didnt hear or get called a "negro" at least once

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Dante's Inferno has male frontal nudity and back frontal male nudity..sure i felt a little uncomfortable, but i wasnt offented and it added to the game more than take away from it

You'd be offended, too, if this scenario happened in like 95% of the games out there.

http://www.nag.co.za/2013/11/27/oversexualised-game-characters-how-do-we-really-feel/

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 06:36 PM
You'd be offended, too, if this scenario happened in like 95% of the games out there.
It was for the story though....so if 95% of games had frontal nudity for the story then I'd be okay with it.

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 06:38 PM
It was for the story though....so if 95% of games had frontal nudity for the story then I'd be okay with it.
No, you wouldn't... trust me on that.

ze_topazio
01-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Ezio is not a womaniser though, just a guy who occasionally has uncompromised sexy time with more than willing ladies, he never fooled them nor promised them anything, Edward enjoying sexy time with courtesans would not make him a womaniser, just a man occasionally satisfying his natural needs, just saying.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 06:43 PM
No, you wouldn't... trust me on that.

Lol yeah id be a little mad ***** was constantly thrown in my face LOL...but women and men are attracted to different thing...
Im not offended that Kratos looks chizzled out of stone and that Ezio and Nathan Drake have a personality to die for LOL
I mean jeeze we're expected to save the world everyday?
We're not just a piece of meat hero ladies!
Idk why women are so mad when their characters are either brain dead or kick *** with a nice set LOL
I actually think that MEN are more upset about the objectifying than women are...

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Ezio is not a womaniser though, just a guy who occasionally has uncompromised sexy time with more than willing ladies, he never fooled them nor promised them anything, Edward enjoying sexy time with courtesans would not make him a womaniser, just a man occasionally satisfying his natural needs, just saying.
Thats what i said lol..anti ezio...ezio was a charmer..edward seemed like a womanizer (in trailer not in game)

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 06:47 PM

Same difference really... Women characters on both occasions are vulnerable to be used as this article suggests. Please have a look: http://www.nag.co.za/2013/11/27/oversexualised-game-characters-how-do-we-really-feel/

Lol yeah id be a little mad ***** was constantly thrown in my face LOL...but women and men are attracted to different thing...
Im not offended that Kratos looks chizzled out of stone and that Ezio and Nathan Drake have a personality to die for LOL so idk why women are so mad when their characters are either brain dead or kick *** with a nice set LOL

Characters like Kratos are chiseled like that not to give female gamers eye candy but to give MEN the illusion of power in the game. Totally different things.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Characters like Kratos are chiseled like that not to give female gamers eye candy but to give MEN the illusion of power in the game. Totally different things.
Haha I don't think women appreciate eye candy...maybe we should start showing over exaggerated bank accounts of the main characters to make it even
LOL JK JK

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 07:40 PM

Was the frontal nudity used to undermine the male character's importance and integrity as a character? Was it used to humiliate him in the eyes of the opposite gender? Was his being nude used as a perfectly valid excuse to judge his personality? No? Then why should you be offended? Female nudity in games is treated entirely differently. If a woman shows skin or sexual desire, she is a "ho", an evil demon scheming for the downfall of the hero. Therefore killing or humiliating her is considered a righteous thing for the hero to do, to put her in her place. Because only male heroes are allowed to have sexual desire and prance around half-naked without having it be a sign of moral weakness.

You said it yourself: the demoness in GoW tries to seduce the main hero and this makes her a "ho". Because God forbid women have sexual desires too. What does it make Kratos when there's a minigame that requires him to have sex with two women at the same time? What does it make Ezio when he spends so much time looking for booty? Why is it that only women get the "ho" label when they show sexual promiscuity?

Why not though? Why is gaming so afraid to go there when movies will in the blink of an eye...games have ratings just like movies do...
Let's say we got an AC in the time of Abraham Lincoln..
And we were a slave/former slave
I would feel almost like ubisoft is insulting my intelligence if i didnt hear or get called a "negro" at least once

How does it drive the story to have an achievement called "Bros Before Hos"? How does it drive the story forward to have every woman show cleavage or prance around in chainmail bikini? It's not always historically accurate either, so that excuse doesn't fly. GoW is not history, it's fantasy. Why can't we have fantasy worlds unburdened by the same sexism and racism that we have in reality?

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Haha I don't think women appreciate eye candy...maybe we should start showing over exaggerated bank accounts of the main characters to make it even
LOL JK JK

Haha, it's funny because you're a sexist pig.

Assassin_M
01-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Why is it that only women get the "ho" label when they show sexual promiscuity?
I wont say anything...just felt the need to get this alone and apart from the big paragraph.

dbzk1999
01-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Sheeh do people get mad on these forums regularly

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:19 PM
Haha, it's funny because you're a sexist pig.
Here's the knight in shining armor that goes to porn sites and types "personality" in the search engine...
If I were truly sexist I would be gay...
Think about that ;)

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Here's the knight in shining armor that goes to porn sites and types "personality" in the search engine...
If I were truly sexist I would be gay...
Think about that ;)

What? I didn't understand a word of that.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:21 PM
What? I didn't understand a word of that.
exactly.. ;)
Sexist means to discriminate
discriminate means to treat differently...
I don't see how understanding that women are attracted to social stature more than they are looks is being sexist?
It's understanding the human mind...
Men seek power because it attracts women...
It's psychological fact lol

"I'm going to call people racist, and sexist to attempt to feel better about myself" - half of the world

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 08:37 PM
exactly.. ;)
I don't see how understanding that women are attracted to social stature more than they are looks is being sexist?

Have you ever heard about psycho-evolutionary (or better pseudo-evolutionary) theories? Because that's what you're basically saying here. It's one of the crap science fields that have been become popular for some strange reason but hold NO scientific reasoning whatsoever. I'm a medical scientist and nobody in my field as far as I know treats theories stemming from this field with any respect. For the simple reason they're crap. But you don't need to be a scientist to realize that such gender stereotypes are a load of BS. Example: http://www.alternet.org/story/104149/caveman_sex%3A_how_evolutionary_psych_pushes_sexis t_stereotypes

http://madamenoire.com/109794/black-women-attractiveness-study-exposes-racism-in-evolutionary-psychology/

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Have you ever heard about psycho-evolutionary (or better pseudo-evolutionary) theories? Because that's what you're basically saying here. It's one of the crap science fields that have been become popular for some strange reason but hold NO scientific reasoning whatsoever. I'm a medical scientist and nobody in my field as far as I know treats theories stemming from this field with any respect. For the simple reason they're crap. But you don't need to be a scientist to realize that such gender stereotypes are a load of BS. Example: http://www.alternet.org/story/104149/caveman_sex%3A_how_evolutionary_psych_pushes_sexis t_stereotypes

http://madamenoire.com/109794/black-women-attractiveness-study-exposes-racism-in-evolutionary-psychology/
It isn't theory...
Look at highschools and rock bands
Guys don't drool over lady gaga, but women drool over nickleback
Guys don't care about the squad leader on the cheerleader team (bc shes annoying as hell)
But the girls want the quaterback no matter how many zits are all over his face...
Power, popularity! THATS what women want..not looks

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:43 PM
So making the lead character wanted by so many women is objectifying men! :D
And im not offended 8)

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 08:44 PM
It isn't theory...
Look at highschools and rock bands
Guys don't drool over lady gaga, but women drool over nickleback
Guys don't care about the squad leader on the cheerleader team (bc shes annoying as hell)
But the girls want the quaterback no matter how many zits are all over his face...
Power, popularity! THATS what women want..not looks
Did you even read the articles? Apparently not...

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Did you even read the articles? Apparently not...
Aint nobody got time for that lol

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 08:46 PM
exactly.. ;)

"I'm going to call people racist, and sexist to attempt to feel better about myself" - half of the world

Wow....

Your entire post is full of heteronormative assumptions. "Men seek power to attract women." So what do gay men do? They all seek power in equal measure to impress each other? What about lesbians? Do they seek power to attract other women? What about bisexuals? Who are they trying to impress? Does a bisexual woman seek power because she is trying to attract men or women?

And which studies do you base these "facts" on? Note: "my friend/cousin/Hollywood/my own experiences told me so" doesn't make something a fact.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/02/05/men-and-women-may-not-be-so-different-after-all/51222.html

"But for the vast majority of psychological traits, including the fear of success, mate selection criteria, and empathy, men and women are definitely from the same planet.

Instead of scores clustering at either end of the spectrum — the way they do with, say, height or physical strength — psychological indicators fall along a linear gradation for both genders.

With very few exceptions, variability within each sex and overlap between the sexes is so extensive that the authors conclude it would be inaccurate to use personality types, attitudes, and psychological indicators as a vehicle for sorting men and women."

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Aint nobody got time for that lol
Then at least stop finding time to post crap about things you know nothing about. :|

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Then at least stop finding time to post crap about things you know nothing about. :|
Nobody knows anything about anything... lol

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Nobody knows anything about anything... lol

Those who take the time to actually study and understand science do, "lol".

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Those who take the time to actually study and understand science do, "lol".
What is science but a study of coincidence? "lol"

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 08:54 PM
What is science but a study of coincidence? "lol"

Are....are you trolling now? Seriously, nobody can be this stupid.

Science is the observation, testing and recording of facts.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Are....are you trolling now? Seriously, nobody can be this stupid.

Science is the observation, testing and recording of facts.
Are you trolling right now?
Noting is true...everything is permitted..
I bet you still believe in gravity

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 08:56 PM
What is science but a book of coincidences?
If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the pan?
What hair color do they put on the driverís licenses of bald men?
How is it possible to have a civil war?

ok now you are trolling.

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
"Lololol guys, I said some racist and sexist things and got called out for it, let me pretend I was trolling the entire time!" :rolleyes:

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
If nothing ever sticks to TEFLON, how do they make TEFLON stick to the pan?
What hair color do they put on the driver’s licenses of bald men?
How is it possible to have a civil war?

ok now you are trolling.
How do we know people are color blind? what if they see true world and the majority are the ones color blind?

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 08:59 PM
"Lololol guys, I said some racist and sexist things and got called out for it, let me pretend I was trolling the entire time!" :rolleyes:
'Lololol guys, no girls will talk to me, I'll pretend to be a hero that gets offended at everything'

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 08:59 PM
*image removed due to profanity*

Hans684
01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-life_of_knowledge

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 09:04 PM

#Winning

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Exactly!

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Exactly!
This is inline of "noone knows anything about anything" bro ;)

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 09:13 PM
This is inline of "noone knows anything about anything" bro ;)
Actually, it could be about how true, pure science always trumps pseudo-psychological "facts" that perpetuate millennial-old misconceptions and stereotypes. Don't get too excited.

And it's not "bro", it's "sis". :D

STDlyMcStudpants
01-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Well I took it to facebook and asked Power or Looks? and got an overwhelming "Neither, intelligence and personality"
So Ezio, Nathan Drake, and that turtle from sly cooper is objectifying men....
They have over exaggerated personality and intelligence..

silvermercy
01-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Well I took it to facebook and asked Power or Looks? and got an overwhelming "Neither, intelligence and personality"
So Ezio, Nathan Drake, and that turtle from sly cooper is objectifying men....
They have over exaggerated personality and intelligence..
I... I... can't...

http://padrespublic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Mega%2BFacepalm%2BGif.%2BFor%2Byour%2Breaction%2Bf older%2Bneeds_c266b1_3384407.gif

JunYah7
01-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Wow, I didn't expect this thread to take the turn that it did. If I knew this was going to happen I wouldn't have asked the question. But, yes, SixKeys and silvermercy, I agree with you one hundred percent. Women shouldn't treat as little more than sex symbol in any type of media. That is what kinda turns me off about the Arkham series. Objectifying women in the media is like a heavily CGI blockbuster movie; all style and no substance.

JunYah7
01-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Sexism has nothing to do with being homosexual. It has everything to do with thinking you're better than the opposite sex.

dbzk1999
01-20-2014, 11:59 PM
What do u mean the arkham series

SixKeys
01-21-2014, 12:03 AM
What do u mean the arkham series

Probably this:

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx5/injustice/harleyquinn-arkhamcity3.jpg

And this:

http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Batman-Arkham-City-Catwoman.jpg

And this:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/products/902015-poison-ivy-arkham-city/lg/902015-poison-ivy-arkham-city-001.jpg

JunYah7
01-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Probably this:

And this:

http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Batman-Arkham-City-Catwoman.jpg

And this:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/assets/products/902015-poison-ivy-arkham-city/lg/902015-poison-ivy-arkham-city-001.jpg

Thank you...

Assassin_M
01-21-2014, 12:40 AM
Thank you...
Hahahahahaha

JunYah7
01-21-2014, 01:35 AM
Hahahahahaha

Lol what's so funny?

Assassin_M
01-21-2014, 01:37 AM
Lol what's so funny?
It just seemed like you were thanking her for the explicit pictures, rather than telling you what that person meant by not liking the Arkham series 8P

Just a little joke

LoyalACFan
01-21-2014, 02:35 AM
Wow, I'm really glad I put STDly on my ignore list now...

JunYah7
01-21-2014, 02:46 AM
It just seemed like you were thanking her for the explicit pictures, rather than telling you what that person meant by not liking the Arkham series 8P

Just a little joke

Oh lol! You know it could have been both but nah...

JunYah7
01-21-2014, 02:48 AM
Wow, I'm really glad I put STDly on my ignore list now...

Yeah, whatever STDly is. Sounds like a sexually transmitted disease.

SixKeys
01-21-2014, 03:33 AM
Yeah, whatever STDly is. Sounds like a sexually transmitted disease.

I'm going to call him STDPants from now on.

JunYah7
01-21-2014, 04:07 AM
I'm going to call him STDPants from now on.

Ha!!

STDlyMcStudpants
01-21-2014, 04:10 AM
I think I hurt a little too many feelings today..
*Wipes tear*

They don't get STD was always sexually transmitted disease and STDpants is still studpants...
*Wipes other tear*

I'm just sick of men being objectified as some popular charismatic hero....
we have feelings you know...

ze_topazio
01-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Man, this thread went completely bananas.

LoyalACFan
01-21-2014, 04:39 AM
Man, this thread went completely bananas.

That happens a lot around here.

AhShay83
01-21-2014, 08:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL99HEEOB8o The only "sex" scene throughout AC4. Very lame but it is there.

JunYah7
01-21-2014, 02:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL99HEEOB8o The only "sex" scene throughout AC4. Very lame but it is there.

LOL! That was almost hilarious. Thx for the info...Looks more like he spiked their drink then left them there....

dbzk1999
01-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Probably this:

And this:

And this:

U say that as if they actually pose like that in the game

SixKeys
01-21-2014, 03:38 PM
U say that as if they actually pose like that in the game

The poses are not the biggest issue. Try the massive boobs, the ridiculous cleavage and impractical outfits. :rolleyes:

Since you brought up the poses though, here are some actual screens from the games:

http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111028192027/batman/images/8/8f/Poison-ivy-2.jpeg

http://achrisfling.com/games/files/2010/10/ShippingPC-BmGame-2010-10-23-00-24-18-22.png

http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/arkham_city_catwoman_thumb.jpg

Landruner
01-21-2014, 05:27 PM

My kids 10 and 12 currently play AC4 and although i had some issues with that, they also played all the AC series, they never mentioned anything or being annoyed by anything sexual in the games (Except Ezio kissing girls, which was a big deal for them back in time) - However; I recall that for AC4 my older one mentioned months ago something about the first AC4 trailer with the naked women in the bed, and i remember telling him that it was just a teaser for the new character introduction, and that yes, the new hero will be probably running after girls as a good Pirate should, but naked girls won;t be on the game - that is all. You may play the game save with your little brother next to you, I don't think he could be as much chocked by the sexual content as the explicit fighting and assassination that occur in the game.Once again it is a M rated game, and not recommended for children.

LoyalACFan
01-21-2014, 05:43 PM
The poses are not the biggest issue. Try the massive boobs, the ridiculous cleavage and impractical outfits. :rolleyes:

Since you brought up the poses though, here are some actual screens from the games

(Snip)

Ridiculous as they are, I'm willing to overlook these for the simple reason that they are accurate reflections of the source material. Comic books almost always sex up the superheroes/villains, particularly the females. Not saying it's ideal, but that's how it is. Poison Ivy and Catwoman in particular have always been portrayed as seductresses in the comics, and they couldn't exactly change that for the game since the primary target audience was comic fans.

SixKeys
01-21-2014, 06:06 PM
Ridiculous as they are, I'm willing to overlook these for the simple reason that they are accurate reflections of the source material. Comic books almost always sex up the superheroes/villains, particularly the females. Not saying it's ideal, but that's how it is. Poison Ivy and Catwoman in particular have always been portrayed as seductresses in the comics, and they couldn't exactly change that for the game since the primary target audience was comic fans.

Just because something has always been one way doesn't mean it should never be open for scrutiny and reinterpretation. Harley Quinn got her start in the 90s animated series. Here's what she looked like originally:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110919144735/batman/images/a/a4/Harley-quinn-female-villians-2439836-259-337.jpg

The costume is actually pretty cool and suits her without being overtly revealing.

One could always make the argument that well, the animated series was for kids, they had to tone it down.

Here's Catwoman from the Tim Burton Batman movie:

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120508235507/batman/images/1/19/Catwoman_Michelle_Pfeiffer.jpg

Is the outfit ridiculous? Yes, but at least it's ridiculous in the same way as the rest of the Batman villains are. Meaning the costume itself is over-the-top, but not because of the amount of cleavage. She still looks seductive but at least vulnerable body parts are not exposed.

LoyalACFan
01-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Just because something has always been one way doesn't mean it should never be open for scrutiny and reinterpretation.

You're totally right, I'm just saying Rocksteady wasn't in a position to drastically alter the comic characters because they were trying to appeal to comic fans, and Batman games had a horrible track record before the Arkham games came along. They couldn't afford to take too many risks.

The costume is actually pretty cool and suits her without being overtly revealing.

One could always make the argument that well, the animated series was for kids, they had to tone it down.

And I would make that argument, Ivy and Catwoman were toned down as well for that series.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111101033426/batman/images/thumb/3/3f/Ivy.png/100px-Ivy.pnghttp://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/5000000/Batman-TAS-dc-animated-universe-5040361-213-320.gif

Here's Catwoman from the Tim Burton Batman movie:

(snip)

Is the outfit ridiculous? Yes, but at least it's ridiculous in the same way as the rest of the Batman villains are. Meaning the costume itself is over-the-top, but not because of the amount of cleavage. She still looks seductive but at least vulnerable body parts are not exposed.

I disagree, Burton's Catwoman was even more sexualized than Rocksteady's. Pfeiffer's performance was edgy as all hell for a kids' movie; the amount of skin covered is sort of irrelevant when you're wearing a skin-tight latex catsuit. Again, I'm not saying the Arkham models are necessarily the best way of portraying the characters (Poison Ivy in particular had me rolling my eyes) but you can't really call them out specifically without calling out the entire superhero genre.

Just curious, though, what's your opinion of the female AC MP avatars? Because basically every single one of them is just as sexualized as any Arkham character, if not more.

silvermercy
01-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Just curious, though, what's your opinion of the female AC MP avatars? Because basically every single one of them is just as sexualized as any Arkham character, if not more.
I personally have not bought AC MP or Arkham for this exact reason. Basically I agree with SixKeys in all her points.

Btw, here's another article related to this discussion: http://www.verylemonade.com/2012/05/07/why-females-are-oversexualized-in-video-games-an-original-perspective-from-a-dude/

SixKeys
01-21-2014, 08:11 PM
I disagree, Burton's Catwoman was even more sexualized than Rocksteady's. Pfeiffer's performance was edgy as all hell for a kids' movie; the amount of skin covered is sort of irrelevant when you're wearing a skin-tight latex catsuit. Again, I'm not saying the Arkham models are necessarily the best way of portraying the characters (Poison Ivy in particular had me rolling my eyes) but you can't really call them out specifically without calling out the entire superhero genre.

I am calling out the entire superhero genre. Female portrayals in all forms of entertainment are in serious need of re-evaluation and updating. Games can do better, they're just not trying very hard because they're trying to compete with Hollywood movies instead of being...well, games. I understand what you're saying about the Batman games being too afraid to take too many risks, but that's exactly the problem. Games will never progress as an art form as lnog as they're simply trying to imitate other media.

Many of them are definitely oversexualized, but not all.

Thief (ACB):

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110904023917/assassinscreed/images/d/d9/MP_Thief.png

Pioneer (AC3):

http://absolutelychloe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Assassins-Creed-3-Multiplayer-Pioneer-216x300.jpg

Vanguard (ACR):

http://images1-1.gamewise.co/vanguard-102105-medium.png

Smuggler (ACB):

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120702160924/acmultiplayer/images/a/ae/10.jpg

There's still room for improvement, I would love to see more female multiplayer personas with as much variety in shape and size as the male personas.

dbzk1999
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM
The only reason u could actually see position ivy is through dlcs and u barely see catwoman (if u don't have the dlc)
Then again I don't pay attention to that that much and I'm 14

LoyalACFan
01-22-2014, 03:39 AM
I am calling out the entire superhero genre. Female portrayals in all forms of entertainment are in serious need of re-evaluation and updating. Games can do better, they're just not trying very hard because they're trying to compete with Hollywood movies instead of being...well, games. I understand what you're saying about the Batman games being too afraid to take too many risks, but that's exactly the problem. Games will never progress as an art form as lnog as they're simply trying to imitate other media.

Fair enough. I still think Arkham is a bit of a special case since it was an extension of a preexisting canon, but you're right, games need to work harder to establish their own identity as a medium.