PDA

View Full Version : Do you think AC could benefit from a more 'Hitman' style mission structure?

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 05:29 AM
Hitman games (not absolution) put you in an area with some pretty simple objectives, mostly kill "guy", sometimes mixed up with "take thing", often you'd be given some intel beforehand, but for the most part it's up to you to find a way to complete your objective. You usually have plenty of options, it's possible to just get a big gun and shoot everybody, but proper players try to find a way to do it and quietly and cleanly as possible, just sneaking to your target and garroting them, or being a bit more sly and poisoning some food, or creating an "accident".

It would be not too dissimilar to AC1 assassination, those were all about finding the best path to your target, and usually keeping in mind your exit plan also. It would be a more fleshed out version of that, you're told to kill a guy and you can try to fight everybody, sneak up and stab him in the neck, or be a bit more creative. Altair said the assassins should start using other methods of assassination, that the old "stab the guy blood the feather" thing wasn't working, stuff like poisoning food and such.

This would also give more merit to investigations, In hitman, during each level you're supposed to learn your target, and learn the environment, learn where the target will be, what they'll do, learn how to get around, which disguises will get you were, where yo could stage an accident or even just finding the perfect snipers nest.
In AC we would learn information by doing investigations, one again a more fleshed out version of AC1, you can choose to do fairly few investigations and be unequipped to kill your target, or do many investigations and go into the job with plenty of intel.
This is the part i've not put much thought into, but doing investigations differently from AC1 would be a very good idea since thats what most people seemed not to like, maybe not even have them as markers given to us on the map that we just run to, but some kind of thing were we just walk through the city looking for potential sources of information.

Thoughts?

AdamPearce
01-19-2014, 05:51 AM
I am positive for the open level-design.
I am negative to find all the information on place. The Assassins are quick, a proper assassination must not take more than 10 minutes.
But I agree that investigation should not be pointed on the map, we should get the information by simply walking the streets, and actually searching.

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 05:56 AM
I am negative to find all the information on place. The Assassins are quick, a proper assassination must not take more than 10 minutes.

Since when? Since AC became some overly casual run-and-gun fest?

AdamPearce
01-19-2014, 06:35 AM
Since when? Since AC became some overly casual run-and-gun fest?

Since ever. It's not casual, it is the complete opposite. The assassination should be planned from infiltration to escape. You must prepared your gear, your route, collect info about guard positions, infos about the target, etc. Then, when you have all the pieces, you make up a plan. When the plan is done, you apply it. The goal is to be unseen, and the best way is to not take much time. Assassinating you target should never take you a hour, that just means you are badly prepared.

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Since ever. It's not casual, it is the complete opposite. The assassination should be planned from infiltration to escape. You must prepared your gear, your route, collect info about guard positions, infos about the target, etc. Then, when you have all the pieces, you make up a plan. When the plan is done, you apply it. The goal is to be unseen, and the best way is to not take much time. Assassinating you target should never take you a hour, that just means you are badly prepared.

Well, i don't mean exactly like Hitman, that's kind of the point of the investigations, you learn most of what you need beforehand.
I suppose also a bit similar to dishonoured.

Hans684
01-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Hitman games (not absolution) put you in an area with some pretty simple objectives, mostly kill "guy", sometimes mixed up with "take thing", often you'd be given some intel beforehand, but for the most part it's up to you to find a way to complete your objective. You usually have plenty of options, it's possible to just get a big gun and shoot everybody, but proper players try to find a way to do it and quietly and cleanly as possible, just sneaking to your target and garroting them, or being a bit more sly and poisoning some food, or creating an "accident".

It would be not too dissimilar to AC1 assassination, those were all about finding the best path to your target, and usually keeping in mind your exit plan also. It would be a more fleshed out version of that, you're told to kill a guy and you can try to fight everybody, sneak up and stab him in the neck, or be a bit more creative. Altair said the assassins should start using other methods of assassination, that the old "stab the guy blood the feather" thing wasn't working, stuff like poisoning food and such.

This would also give more merit to investigations, In hitman, during each level you're supposed to learn your target, and learn the environment, learn where the target will be, what they'll do, learn how to get around, which disguises will get you were, where yo could stage an accident or even just finding the perfect snipers nest.
In AC we would learn information by doing investigations, one again a more fleshed out version of AC1, you can choose to do fairly few investigations and be unequipped to kill your target, or do many investigations and go into the job with plenty of intel.
This is the part i've not put much thought into, but doing investigations differently from AC1 would be a very good idea since thats what most people seemed not to like, maybe not even have them as markers given to us on the map that we just run to, but some kind of thing were we just walk through the city looking for potential sources of information.

Thoughts?

This is a great idea. An assassination that can be done purely the player want and we would gett a proper disquise system with a sosial stealth that makes more sence.

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 11:19 AM
I don't know about disguises, maybe.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-19-2014, 06:14 PM
I would like SOME elements of hitman like killing them with the environment..as for everything else..not a chance...
Hitman never let up on the stealth....(even though it let you run and gun)
When you play hitman you are constantly walking on egg shells..even in a setting where you should'nt have to....I loved Absolutions story but Hitman just isn;t for me...
I don't like feeling like I'm doing it wrong...
No player should ever feel like that whether they are brute like me or stealth like the other 90% of players
I do love to be stealthy though at times..When I play AC - ESPECIALLY ONLINE I love to see opportunities in crowds or in the environment that I can take advantage of.
Thats what I want AC to be more like..more creating opportunities..less forcing us to play a certain way..
And yes I know you arent LITERALLY forced, but figuratively you are...theres always a "This isn't how you'e supposed to do it" stigma in AC and especially hitman.

TorQue1988
01-19-2014, 07:04 PM
I would like them to combine the best elements from Hitman, Dishonored and Thief:
- search or buy intel about your target, best routes to take etc
- doing certain side missions should earn you favors, like distracting a target, supply caches, help while infiltrating a certain restricted are etc
- being able to complete certain missions as ghosts, not killing anyone (except the main target) and not even being seen
- being able to take out certain targets without killing them (if we want): like framing them so that someone else kills them, being able to scare, blackmail or humiliate targets and make sure they won't return to the city again etc
- more ways of assassinating: poisoning food, setting traps, making it look like an accident, public execution to send a message, being able to hunt your target silently and kill him brutally to create urban myths and take advantage of people's superstitions etc
- complex, multi-mission assassinations that require preparation (like the flying mission from AC2, or heists from GTA5)
- choice-driven gameplay (lethal or non-lethal, stealth or full-on carnage), multiple paths to reach targets, hiding in shadows
- reactive AI like it will be in Alien: Isolation. The AI should try to flush you out (once they are aware you are stalking around), learn your tactics etc
- take advantage of your environment to kill, evade or confuse enemies.
- complex ambient dialogue that adds more depth to the game world and allows us to learn things about our goals, changing tactics accordingly.

Kagurra
01-19-2014, 08:36 PM
Would be interesting. They're making a new Hitman game that is supposed to be a lot more open than the previous one was.

The one thing I don't like about those games is the score attacking.

KingNova7
01-19-2014, 08:59 PM
No. If I had wanted to play a Hit Man like game, I would have bought Hit Man

/Thread

Kagurra
01-19-2014, 09:31 PM
No. If I had wanted to play a Hit Man like game, I would have bought Hit Man

/Thread

Too bad that's actually not the end of the thread just because you say so lolz :eek:

Landruner
01-20-2014, 02:10 AM
About 6 to 7 weeks ago, with some other users, we gave some description of how we were seeing the new concepts and exposed different assassin level design parts and scenario of gameplay for the next coming up games - A lot of ideas, scenarios of gameplay and interesting concepts had been exposed exposed through several posts or threads and a lot of those material were reference to the Hitman series or still had a lot of similarities with that series. However, Hitman is Hitman, but some part of the gameplay could be used as a template for some AC gameplay and readjusted and overhauled into an AC game (For the Assassin mission design only, not for the rest of the gameplay if the next Assassin happened to be or to have another function besides being an Assassin - (Example AC4 - Pirate activities were great, but for the assassin gameplay it was just recycle of an over used and repetitive mission design which only consist in staking (following) people through the streets, plantation or the sea with the jackdaw with a timer if you just loose the focus on your target) Lame, repetitive and uninspired. Social blending was lame and weak as well.

Alas, It was a waste of energy and time consuming for a lot of people since most had to argue with a recurrent brunch of "fantards" that flamed or trolled any idea or concept exposed during that time.

However; I am still glad to see that some new people bring that topic back.