PDA

View Full Version : Have we been spoiled by ranged weapons?

LoyalACFan
01-19-2014, 03:00 AM
I was sort of reminiscing about how different the stealth gameplay has become since AC1, and I think the crux of it is that we've been given so many ways to kill guards from a distance. In AC1, we only had a handful of throwing knives that were a hassle to replenish. In AC2 we only had throwing knives and a pistol, which wasn't acquired until very late in the game and actually wasn't all that practical. But then came ACB and the ridiculously overpowered silent insta-kill crossbow, and ever since then the stealth just hasn't been anywhere near as rewarding. Could the problem with traditional AC stealth be rooted in projectiles? I mean, ever since ACB, we've had crossbows, darts, bombs, guns, bow and arrows, and blowpipes in various combinations. No longer are we required to work for each kill, approaching silently without raising the alarm and sticking a blade in his back; we can just put an arrow, dart, or bullet in his face from a city block away. I think that luxury is, in large part, the reason why AC kills are no longer satisfying as they once were.

roostersrule2
01-19-2014, 03:09 AM
I wouldn't say so, ranged weapons encourage stealth rather then discourage it, I think the lack of satisfaction is because we've been doing the same thing for the past 6 games.

Though reducing the amount of ammo we carry could add more of challenge. Not to the point where it's only 1 like AC4's throwing knife, which made it pointless but a maximum of say 5 bullets, arrows, darts etc. could work.

AdamPearce
01-19-2014, 03:16 AM
A good approach to that problem would be to reduce the weapons you can carry to 4, so can't be an moving tank anymore. Of course keep the variety of the weapons.

yankeegamergirl
01-19-2014, 03:25 AM
You raise an interesting point. I personally don't think I have been spoiled by ranged weapons as the blade was my fav all the way until III made it useless for me with all the gunfire. I don't play AC for guns and personally dislike to much use of weapons that allow you to kill from a distance. I agree that it's not as rewarding either.

Consus_E
01-19-2014, 04:15 AM
I think they should just remove the tools that instant kill at long range, they usually end up being OP...

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 04:44 AM
Time to sing the song i've been singing all week. What i liked in AC1 was that we had those feathers, part of the cereony of the assassination was blooding the feather, but that also gave us a reason to get close to our target.

I'm torn on Ranged weapons, they make sense and are useful, but sometimes, especially in AC4, i found i was just sitting there firing poison darts at everyone.

poptartz20
01-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Wouldn't this also very by each player though. Some don't prefer long range weapons while others do? I personally loved the blow dart but at the same time I like to get in close.

The amount of weapons that were accessible with Ezio got to a ridiculous point to the point where you became a mini overpowered "goku" so to speak.

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 04:53 AM
Wouldn't this also very by each player though. Some don't prefer long range weapons while others do? I personally loved the blow dart but at the same time I like to get in close.

The amount of weapons that were accessible with Ezio got to a ridiculous point to the point where you became a mini overpowered "goku" so to speak.

Especially in ACB, with the Poison dart gun and crossbow. 25 bolts, 5 or ten poison darts, you could just walk through an area casually killing every guard along your path and the game would still consider you stealthy.

poptartz20
01-19-2014, 05:22 AM
Especially in ACB, with the Poison dart gun and crossbow. 25 bolts, 5 or ten poison darts, you could just walk through an area casually killing every guard along your path and the game would still consider you stealthy.

Yeah! I forgot about the poison darts! Also there were the throwing knives as well.. as long as you weren't too far they were almost an insta kill as well. That's not stealth at all.. more like a tank. a silent tank.

ze_topazio
01-19-2014, 02:06 PM
ACB Ezio was supposed to be overpowered, he was an Assassin master by then, his overpowerness was supposed to represent that.

SixKeys
01-19-2014, 03:12 PM
ACB Ezio was supposed to be overpowered, he was an Assassin master by then, his overpowerness was supposed to represent that.

That doesn't make for good gameplay, though. I've replayed ACB lots of times, but only ever bought a crossbow on my first playthrough. Using it made the game way too easy, so I never bothered with it again.

Shahkulu101
01-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Make all ranged weapons free-aimed and the amount damage subject to what part of the body you hit. Also remove the auto-target and quick-fire option.

Problem solved, kinda. Just don't give us OP stuff like poison farts and keep them to a minimum, 1 or 2 tops.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-19-2014, 06:05 PM
personally i hate that they have become part of the game...
But for selfish reasons like them being "optional" objectives

IWGCJoeCool
01-21-2014, 03:09 AM
hate the guns, hate the crossbows. gimme a twin-hidden, some knives to toss, and a sword for when i screw up.i could dig the blowdarts, but really, you should need to be within what, 25 feet for that, and they should be quick acting poison, free aim for sure, and maybe not so accurate outdoors...free aim plus some time on the target, like half as long as a loot, otherwise no sale.

phoenix-force411
01-21-2014, 04:00 AM
We need a better stealth and A.I. system to really incorporate lesser use of weapons.

IWGCJoeCool
01-22-2014, 12:49 AM
We need a better stealth and A.I. system to really incorporate lesser use of weapons.

well, i think a better "Stealth" ingredient would need to have light and shadow play a bigger part in things, which may be possible now in the first real PS4/XBone release, maybe. but still, there would need more emphasis in the story and level creation to allow more use of the night/day cycle. while haypiles/roof gardens and sitting/standing between civilians is an iconic part of the series, it's overdone alot. and while i certainly enjoy the ability to assassinate from stands of bushes, this too should be turned down. and again, maybe with next-gen programming things can get "more real.

DynaRider
01-22-2014, 02:12 AM
Ranged weapons are fun for those of us who enjoy having them, especially useful for taking out riflemen on the towers. There is always the option to not use them if it dilutes your enjoyment of the game.

TexasToast712
01-22-2014, 04:08 AM
This is why we need a loadout system capped at 4 items.

1. Melee weapon (One handed, Two handed, Daggers etc.)
2. Ranged weapon (pistol, poison/sleep dart, crossbow, throwing knives. etc)
3. Tactical tool (smoke bombs, fire crackers, rope darts, etc.\
4. Hidden Blade with one attachment slot (Poison Dart, shootable hidden blade, or dual hidden blades)

Consus_E
01-22-2014, 05:04 AM
This is just a minor thing but, more tools that don't appear equipped on the player like throwing knives, bombs, firecrackers, rope darts, ect. Less incredibly visible bows/crossbows...

LoyalACFan
01-22-2014, 08:04 AM
This is just a minor thing but, more tools that don't appear equipped on the player like throwing knives, bombs, firecrackers, rope darts, ect. Less incredibly visible bows/crossbows...

I actually am in favor of all of your equipment being visible on your character model. Makes it more realistic (doing away with the "magic pockets" syndrome) and aesthetically pleasing. Plus, it means we won't have a ludicrous amount of weapons we just pull out of nowhere.