PDA

View Full Version : Can we skip the origin story?

Consus_E
01-18-2014, 07:45 PM
We've seen three different Assassins recruited now... Every protagonist since Ezio has been a new recruit.
Ezio: What my father was a banker? How could he have been an Assassin?

Connor/Ratohnhaké ton: I will train with these Assassins to save my people!

Edward: When does this creed get profitable?

Can we go back to Someone like Altair, Post-AC2 Ezio, Aveline, and Haytham a character who is already aware of the Assassins and Templars and has his/her own agenda?

Thoughts?

Kagurra
01-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Going the route of Altair as far as introduction is actually an interesting perspective. I'd be okay with that if it was done right TBH.

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Aveline?

TexasToast712
01-18-2014, 10:21 PM
I like the origin stories. Makes me feel like I grow along with the characters as they do. Makes me connect better.

BlazePotato
01-18-2014, 10:35 PM
maybe just a 5 minute origin cutscene for the next character

SixKeys
01-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Always keep in mind that every new game is potentially someone's first entry into the series. An origin story allows the player to connect with the protagonist in ways they can relate to. Altaďr is the closest we ever got to an assassin with no origin story, but in AC1 our "straight man" was Desmond, who was just as clueless as the player.

guardian_titan
01-18-2014, 11:30 PM
As was pointed out, new players can potentially start at any point in the series (I started with AC3 myself) so how a character is introduced can make or break a person's interest in the series. Learning how a person got involved with the Assassins/Templars is often an important plot point and can shape how they deal with the conflict later. This is often why origin stores are what's the first in a franchise for things such as superheroes and often what gets repeated when a franchise is rebooted. You need a relatable character or people just go meh. It's a bit different if the origin is explained during the story via flashbacks or something, but you have to be careful with those or they can get confusing. Due to Ubisoft changing protagonists every game now, origin stores are pretty much required if only to introduce new players into the series smoother.

Perhaps Ubisoft can have a tutorial bit that goes into how the person entered the Assassin/Templar conflict and teaches you how to play the game, and then the rest of the game. When you replay the game, you can skip the tutorial and go right into the "meat" of the story as it were. Experienced players can chose to skip the tutorial right off the bat at the expense of missing the origin story, while players on a second or third playthrough can skip the tutorial because they already know how to play and already know the story.

Consus_E
01-19-2014, 01:54 AM
Perhaps they could have something like the Christina missions in AC:B, but telling the origin story instead.

LoyalACFan
01-19-2014, 02:32 AM
This is part of the reason I want a Shao Jun game. We've already got her backstory, so no need for five hours of prologue.

And also, Aveline? She actually needed an origin story IMO, and didn't get one; she just randomly jumped from little kid to Assassin with nothing in between. It was pretty off-putting TBH. I'd have no problem starting a game as someone who's already an Assassin, but I don't want to start as a non-Assassin, play a few missions, cut to black and magically become one.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 02:33 AM
And also, Aveline? She actually needed an origin story IMO, and didn't get one; she just randomly jumped from little kid to Assassin with nothing in between. It was pretty off-putting TBH. I'd have no problem starting a game as someone who's already an Assassin, but I don't want to start as a non-Assassin, play a few missions, cut to black and magically become one.
Oh no, I don't mean to say that she didn't NEED one, just the fact that she never had one 8P

LoyalACFan
01-19-2014, 02:42 AM
Oh no, I don't mean to say that she didn't NEED one, just the fact that she never had one 8P

That was directed at the OP, not you :P I agree with you. The opening sequences of Liberation were just bizarre.

AdamPearce
01-19-2014, 03:03 AM
Origin stories are good, when they are well done and well balanced. Connor's one for example was too long, Ezio's one was too brief, and Edward's just took the whole game so... A complete sequence would be great, on 12 I don't see a problem.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 03:10 AM
Origin stories are good, when they are well done and well balanced. Connor's one for example was too long, Ezio's one was too brief, and Edward's just took the whole game so... A complete sequence would be great, on 12 I don't see a problem.
How was Connor's long? it only took 2 sequences and he put on the Assassin Robes, got all weapons and finished his training. if ANYTHING, Connor's was the too brief one. Haytham's sequences only made it feel long.

Ezio's took 3 sequences until he finished his initial training.

roostersrule2
01-19-2014, 03:18 AM
Origin stories are good, when they are well done and well balanced. Connor's one for example was too long, Ezio's one was too brief, and Edward's just took the whole game so... A complete sequence would be great, on 12 I don't see a problem.I didn't mind Ezio's length, perhaps another mission would have done it.

Connor's was a tad long but it wasn't that bad.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 03:27 AM
Connor's was a tad long but it wasn't that bad.

I didn't mind Ezio's length
That's what she said

roostersrule2
01-19-2014, 03:31 AM
That's what she saidhttp://i4.bebo.com/029/2/large/2007/03/31/09/844708135a3971730670b765887111l.jpg

AdamPearce
01-19-2014, 03:36 AM
How was Connor's long? it only took 2 sequences and he put on the Assassin Robes, got all weapons and finished his training. if ANYTHING, Connor's was the too brief one. Haytham's sequences only made it feel long.

Ezio's took 3 sequences until he finished his initial training.

Ezio's get his robes like an hour in the game.

The 4th sequence was excellent, but I felt the 5th was too much, going to Boston, coming back, Aquila, coming back, saving dudes...I just felt like '' Aaah give me the robes already ''.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 03:41 AM
Ezio's get his robes like an hour in the game.

The 4th sequence was excellent, but I felt the 5th was too much, going to Boston, coming back, Aquila, coming back, saving dudes...I just felt like '' Aaah give me the robes already ''.
We're talking Origins story, not just robes. Origins story INCLUDES robes, Weapons and training. Ezio got all those in 3 sequences. Connor got them in 2. don't count Haytham, it's Connor's SECOND sequence, not the 5th, like I said. Haytham just makes it feel long.

AdamPearce
01-19-2014, 03:51 AM
We're talking Origins story, not just robes. Origins story INCLUDES robes, Weapons and training. Ezio got all those in 3 sequences. Connor got them in 2. don't count Haytham, it's Connor's SECOND sequence, not the 5th, like I said. Haytham just makes it feel long.

I consider Haytham in the Origin story, maybe not for Connor but for the whole game.

And there is also all those gameplay restriction, I mean you can't do much thing in the world at the beginning, you need to unlock the Assassins robes for the story and gameplay to kick in, that's why I thought it was super long. With AC2 it took 2 hours and you were and the whole game opened to you, what was left were Ezio's upgrade and of course cities but that's part of the game.

So yeah, a tutorial/ origin sequence would be great.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 03:55 AM
I consider Haytham in the Origin story, maybe not for Connor but for the whole game.

And there is also all those gameplay restriction, I mean you can't do much thing in the world at the beginning, you need to unlock the Assassins robes for the story and gameplay to kick in, that's why I thought it was super long. With AC2 it took 2 hours and you were and the whole game opened to you, what was left were Ezio's upgrade and of course cities but that's part of the game.

So yeah, a tutorial/ origin sequence would be great.
You were talking about CONNOR'S story, not the game's. AC III's prologue WAS long, but that's not what you referred to in your initial post.

AC III had no gameplay restrictions before the robes with Connor. You only lacked the ropedart, Naval and NY. you could hunt, fight, tree/free run and explore freely.

AdamPearce
01-19-2014, 04:08 AM
You were talking about CONNOR'S story, not the game's. AC III's prologue WAS long, but that's not what you referred to in your initial post.

AC III had no gameplay restrictions before the robes with Connor. You only lacked the ropedart, Naval and NY. you could hunt, fight, tree/free run and explore freely.

Captain Kidd
Assassination
Weapons
Skins
Homestead
and all the other side missions

And I know what I said, and I still think Connor's Sequence 2 was too long and fill with a lot of unecessery suff.

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 04:09 AM
I agree it would be nice to have a game that begins with us already being an established assassin.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 04:16 AM
Captain Kidd
Tombs in AC II were only unlocked after sequence 3

Assassination
Same thing with Ezio...it only unlocked in Sequence 3

Weapons
The ONLY weapons missing before putting the robes on were the pistols, rope darts and swords. Ezio was missing the double hidden blades, poison blade and hidden gun. he only got EVERYTHING in sequence 9. Connor got EVERYTHING in his second sequence.

Skins
Ezio was missing capes and outfits too

Homestead
Homestead missions began in sequence 5, actually so you're wrong.

and all the other side missions
Again, AC II didnt have everything unlocked from the start either

And I know what I said, and I still think Connor's Sequence 2 was too long and fill with a lot of unecessery suff.
Wow, buddy boy, calm your horses...i'm only facing you with the comparison you'v made. Connor's was too long and Ezio's was brief, which is absurd.

Consus_E
01-19-2014, 04:18 AM
I agree it would be nice to have a game that begins with us already being an established assassin.

Or Templar... :)

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 04:21 AM
Ezio's journey to becoming an assassin was much better. Being a young noble in Florence was a much nicer feeling than being a mohawk.
In fact the intro of AC2 is one of my favourite parts, i sometimes wish it had been longer, whereas in AC3 i just want to get it over with as quickly as possible, it just gets in the way.

And you're talking about numbers of sequences, but sequence length is a factor too.

Or Templar... :)

Yes, In AC4 i did really like the part where we end up kind of going a long with the templars.

poptartz20
01-19-2014, 04:22 AM
I appreciate Origin stories. . . because I feel though each assassin follows the creed.. it essentially means something different in each protagonist life and shapes them in some way.

I think someone mentioned it before but it was be interesting to start off templar and somehow become as assassin. starting off the game in a high profile assassination right before it happens.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 04:25 AM
And you're talking about numbers of sequences, but sequence length is a factor too.

AC II's 3 sequences telling the origin story have 22 missions.
AC III's 2 sequences telling Connor's origin story were 11 missions.

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 04:31 AM
AC II's 3 sequences telling the origin story have 22 missions.
AC III's 2 sequences telling Connor's origin story were 11 missions.

Like, i was just saying that it's a factor, i don't know any facts here.

But to AC3's benefit, it's missions were longer and generally had more stuff than AC2, plenty of AC2's "missions" were really bloody short, sometimes a case of "go here" mission done.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 04:34 AM
But to AC3's benefit, it's missions were longer and generally had more stuff than AC2, plenty of AC2's "missions" were really bloody short, sometimes a case of "go here" mission done.
Do you REALLY want me to lay down all the details of EVERY mission in the origin stories of Ezio and Connor?? DO YOU?? I'v got alllll night

itsamea-mario
01-19-2014, 04:35 AM
Do you REALLY want me to lay down all the details of EVERY mission in the origin stories of Ezio and Connor?? DO YOU?? I'v got alllll night

Go on, because then that means you doing work to prove a point that i don't particularly care about.

roostersrule2
01-19-2014, 04:36 AM
Do you REALLY want me to lay down all the details of EVERY mission in the origin stories of Ezio and Connor?? DO YOU?? I'v got alllll nightYes.