PDA

View Full Version : 'We're running out of time' a subtle message from the devs ?

AdamPearce
01-18-2014, 04:54 AM
I've seen in many interviews of either Darby or Ashraf saying that they don't have enough time, or that they are 'tight on schedule'. Do you think it's a subtle message from the devs to the Editors ? 'Something like:

- Hey, we need more time.
- No.
- Alright, we'll just talk to everyone about everything we can't add in the game, see how they'll like that.
- Lulz.

Just for a remind:

Online naval battle, gone.
Full set of new animations for Eddy, gone.
Anne & Mary fighting together, gone.
Social events, broke.
Less time for MOCAP, cheaper overall realisation.

In short, the game was rushed.

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 04:55 AM
Just for a remind:

Online naval battle, gone.
Full set of new animations for Eddy, gone.
Anne & Mary fighting together, gone.
Social events, broke.
Less time for MOCAP, cheaper overall realisation.

In short, the game was rushed.
Do you know what rushed means?

SixKeys
01-18-2014, 05:46 AM
No, I don't think it's a message from the devs to the "editors" (by which I assume you mean their bosses). I think it's a message to the fans. Devs get a lot of crap for rushing the games and having to cut stuff out due to lack of time. I'm sure they all wish they had more time for polish but it's not up to them to decide.

The Abstergo Entertainment meta-commentary in AC4 was an even more pointed jab at Ubisoft (and the industry in general). The database is filled with stuff the devs themselves constantly have to struggle with, like higher-ups demanding certain things be altered to appeal to a wider demographic.

AdamPearce
01-18-2014, 05:59 AM

developped in 2 years when it needed at least 3.

poptartz20
01-18-2014, 07:46 AM
http://kotaku.com/i-help-make-video-games-and-im-sick-of-the-hatred-fro-1500603631

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 08:24 AM
No, it's when a game is incomplete...unfinished...unpolished. lacking substantial mechanics. none of us how many years a game is supposed to take...you have to consider the number of studios, the number of people AND the budget.

ACR is a rushed game
AC III is a rushed game
Mafia II is a rushed game

AC IV is NOT a rushed game
Red Dead Redemption is NOT a rushed game.

cuts and commissions from a final product do not mean a rushed game.

I-Like-Pie45
01-18-2014, 04:33 PM
AC4 isn't a rushed game. Its simply a game that cut content. Every single game does this. Even those which are the standard of non-rushed games like Zelda and 3D Mario platformers.

Now let me tell you what a real rushed game is.

GTA5 is a rushed game - evenmoreso that ACR, AC3, and AC4 put together.

there is no option to eat at fast food restaurants showing that RS clearly had cranked this one out of their butts. The only aspect of the game which wasn't a buggy mess or evidence of rushed lackluster development at launch was GTA Online.

but really, what gives GTA5 the 0/10 it deserves is the inclusion of Phil Collins on the soundtrack

0/10

Solid-Shammy
01-18-2014, 05:00 PM
No, it's when a game is incomplete...unfinished...unpolished. lacking substantial mechanics. none of us how many years a game is supposed to take...you have to consider the number of studios, the number of people AND the budget.

ACR is a rushed game
AC III is a rushed game

I'm sorry, but do you really think Assassin's Creed 4 isn't rushed? Your definition of rushed in terms of game development is a little contradictive and arbitrary. You bring up Mafia 2 as an example of a rushed game, but that game was reasonably polished with strong mechanics, now it had a lot of cut content, but in regards to most games within the equal development time it was nothing special.

Then you bring up Red Dead Redemption as an example of a game that was not rushed, even though the game is riddled with quite a few glitches and is filled with quite a few inconsistent contrived gameplay mechanics. Now if you're going to argue which game is more complete out of Red Dead Redemption or Mafia 2 then that is completely subjective, clearly Red Dead is the more quality game in regards to productions values, which is why it is a little unfair to compare the two. But overall within their limitations who is it to say which one was rushed and which one wasn't. The proper answer is that they were both rushed, but one was clearly very much more.

By the same token, with Assassin's Creed 4, the game was rushed, even by your definition. Now your standards of polish might be a little lower than mine, but animation glitches, poor level and mission design, a numerous ammount of collision problems, and rushed pacing in regards to plot and character development does now equal a polished or particularly complete feeling. Now I really, really like Assassin's Creed 4, but the whole franchise is always slipping short of reaching its full potential. Why? Because it is rushed. The games have more or less been rushed to a grating degree since the release of Brotherhood, and that's sadly a fact with the annualisation of the franchise. Denying that just becuase you thoroughly enjoyed Assassin's Creed 4 is a little silly.

funnyman44
01-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Leave this thread and go play BF4
then you will know what rushed means

Fatal-Feit
01-18-2014, 08:05 PM

ACR is a rushed game
AC III is a rushed game

AC:IV was undoubtedly rushed... The horrible PC port is already proof enough.

DynaRider
01-18-2014, 08:43 PM

You've been brain washed by Limbaugh?

STDlyMcStudpants
01-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm just wondering if they are so tight on time...why release the rumored 2 games this year?
Why not give just ONE MORE port and save the next gen game for next year and make it an AC2/AC3 type jump?

PS: MP has to be copy and paste....it wouldnt make sense for naval combat to be a part of MP for a game where naval isnt a staple..and how fun would it honestly be??
I dont think it would be fun at all.. lol
They should save it for the rumored pirate game they are working on

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm sorry, but do you really think Assassin's Creed 4 isn't rushed? Your definition of rushed in terms of game development is a little contradictive and arbitrary. You bring up Mafia 2 as an example of a rushed game, but that game was reasonably polished with strong mechanics, now it had a lot of cut content, but in regards to most games within the equal development time it was nothing special.

Then you bring up Red Dead Redemption as an example of a game that was not rushed, even though the game is riddled with quite a few glitches and is filled with quite a few inconsistent contrived gameplay mechanics. Now if you're going to argue which game is more complete out of Red Dead Redemption or Mafia 2 then that is completely subjective, clearly Red Dead is the more quality game in regards to productions values, which is why it is a little unfair to compare the two. But overall within their limitations who is it to say which one was rushed and which one wasn't. The proper answer is that they were both rushed, but one was clearly very much more.

By the same token, with Assassin's Creed 4, the game was rushed, even by your definition. Now your standards of polish might be a little lower than mine, but animation glitches, poor level and mission design, a numerous ammount of collision problems, and rushed pacing in regards to plot and character development does now equal a polished or particularly complete feeling. Now I really, really like Assassin's Creed 4, but the whole franchise is always slipping short of reaching its full potential. Why? Because it is rushed. The games have more or less been rushed to a grating degree since the release of Brotherhood, and that's sadly a fact with the annualisation of the franchise. Denying that just because you thoroughly enjoyed Assassin's Creed 4 is a little silly.
What you don't understand is that "rushing" has less to do with the TIME itself of the development and more with the development PROCESS, of course time is still important, but see, this is what everyone gets wrong and throws around the word "rushed" without actually understanding of what it means. it's not my definition, it's the correct one. you people simply like to use the word rushed to criticize the yearly development, which IS correct and CAN be used on SOME of the AC games. (I'm a critic of the yearly development cycle, in case you'll think you'v outsmarted me and use that in your coming posts)

So like I said, apparently you are ignorant (I would'v been nicer and used "you don't know" instead, but it's a good jab at you since you were so kind to call me silly) to what the development process of Mafia II was, so allow me to explain. I don't call Mafia II rushed because of the cut content (heck, I SAID that omissions and cut content don't mean a rushed game) Mafia II is rushed because it had a troubled development process. they started it out on the PS2, then took too long and decided to make it on next gen (current gen) instead, so started from scratch. afterwards, the higher ups fired a lot of people from the studio, a lot of important people, so they had a smaller team working on the game and the rest is history.
AC III had a troubled development process, because of the setting. at first they were aiming at making the wilderness and one city (Philly) but decided the frontier was too empty, so started over and added NY, but then decided the frontier was still too empty, so scrapped THAT frontier and started from scratch, but decided to add snow to fill it up.
ACR started out as a 3DS game, but the higher ups decided it be made for current gen consoles. in 9 months, the had to assemble a new team and start the game from scratch.
you can argue that this is just the realities of a normal video game development process, but starting from scratch more than a couple times is pretty troubled in game development, especially when you have a tight schedule.

now, as far as I know, neither RDR nor AC IV had development troubles. sure, they had the usual cut content and omissions, but like I said that's EVERYWHERE. Glitches and bugs are bound to be present in EVERY game, it's when it hampers your advance in story or side missions that they become noteworthy. now we can discuss "inconsistent, contrived game mechanics" all day, but i'v done that a lot on other RDR forums and we'll probably end up hitting a brick wall if you go down that road, so yeah...no and again, no i'm not arguing which is more complete. I'm arguing which had a less troubled development process.

Now to look at the elements of the development process. Budget, studio size, talent, natural events and schedule AKA time. Budget, studio size and talent are clear, so i'll define natural events. They're foreseen or unforeseen changes. they can be in the larger extent (game industry scene) or the smaller extent (studio or team scene) introduction of new hardware (larger extent) extended difficulties with a game element (smaller extent) now, like I said, time is a very important element, BUT, you cannot base the word "rushed" on the time. look at a game like Ride to Hell: Retribution. that game was in development since 2007 and it was released last year. development started, development stopped for some reason, game cancelled, game re-announced and new team starts from scratch to remake game. THAT's what rushed is.

clipping, collision issues, animation glitches are present in EVERY game. regarding poor level design, that's subjective so that only applies to you, if you thought AC IV had poor mission design and the same goes for the pacing of the story. that's all subjective and AGAIN, Polish does not extend to what YOU define as polished. Polish is smoothing the rough edges, it's not about low or high standards.

Solid-Shammy
01-19-2014, 04:30 AM
What you don't understand is that "rushing" has less to do with the TIME itself of the development and more with the development PROCESS, of course time is still important, but see, this is what everyone gets wrong and throws around the word "rushed" without actually understanding of what it means. it's not my definition, it's the correct one. you people simply like to use the word rushed to criticize the yearly development, which IS correct and CAN be used on SOME of the AC games. (I'm a critic of the yearly development cycle, in case you'll think you'v outsmarted me and use that in your coming posts)

So like I said, apparently you are ignorant (I would'v been nicer and used "you don't know" instead, but it's a good jab at you since you were so kind to call me silly) to what the development process of Mafia II was, so allow me to explain. I don't call Mafia II rushed because of the cut content (heck, I SAID that omissions and cut content don't mean a rushed game) Mafia II is rushed because it had a troubled development process. they started it out on the PS2, then took too long and decided to make it on next gen (current gen) instead, so started from scratch. afterwards, the higher ups fired a lot of people from the studio, a lot of important people, so they had a smaller team working on the game and the rest is history.
AC III had a troubled development process, because of the setting. at first they were aiming at making the wilderness and one city (Philly) but decided the frontier was too empty, so started over and added NY, but then decided the frontier was still too empty, so scrapped THAT frontier and started from scratch, but decided to add snow to fill it up.
ACR started out as a 3DS game, but the higher ups decided it be made for current gen consoles. in 9 months, the had to assemble a new team and start the game from scratch.
you can argue that this is just the realities of a normal video game development process, but starting from scratch more than a couple times is pretty troubled in game development, especially when you have a tight schedule.

now, as far as I know, neither RDR nor AC IV had development troubles. sure, they had the usual cut content and omissions, but like I said that's EVERYWHERE. Glitches and bugs are bound to be present in EVERY game, it's when it hampers your advance in story or side missions that they become noteworthy. now we can discuss "inconsistent, contrived game mechanics" all day, but i'v done that a lot on other RDR forums and we'll probably end up hitting a brick wall if you go down that road, so yeah...no and again, no i'm not arguing which is more complete. I'm arguing which had a less troubled development process.

Now to look at the elements of the development process. Budget, studio size, talent, natural events and schedule AKA time. Budget, studio size and talent are clear, so i'll define natural events. They're foreseen or unforeseen changes. they can be in the larger extent (game industry scene) or the smaller extent (studio or team scene) introduction of new hardware (larger extent) extended difficulties with a game element (smaller extent) now, like I said, time is a very important element, BUT, you cannot base the word "rushed" on the time. look at a game like Ride to Hell: Retribution. that game was in development since 2007 and it was released last year. development started, development stopped for some reason, game cancelled, game re-announced and new team starts from scratch to remake game. THAT's what rushed is.

clipping, collision issues, animation glitches are present in EVERY game. regarding poor level design, that's subjective so that only applies to you, if you thought AC IV had poor mission design and the same goes for the pacing of the story. that's all subjective and AGAIN, Polish does not extend to what YOU define as polished. Polish is smoothing the rough edges, it's not about low or high standards.

I've done some research on this matter and came to the conclusion that in regards to rushed video game development there isn't a solid definition. I've read a lot of arguing and a lot of interesting discussions, and I'll just paraphrase what I originally said. How you define a rushed game really comes down to your opinion, however, the reality is that pretty much every game is rushed and the real question is asking just how rushed said game is. I find my definition to be quite simple, a rushed game is a game of poor quaility due to a limited time frame of development. Now I really like Assassin's Creed 4, but I don't look at it as a high quality game, and that is my opinion. How I define a poor quality game is my opinion, so having a long drawn out conversation over something that falls into subjective territory is pointless.

I understand and respect your points, I just find it a little difficult in understanding your arbitrary convoluted definition of a rushed game. When to me the definition is straightforward. Either way, I'll accept your opinion on the matter and realise that both of us aren't going to come to a comfy conclusion.

pacmanate
01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
shut up M no one cares

lothario-da-be
01-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Sigh, why can't this forum be a nice peacefull place like it used to be?

pacmanate
01-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Sigh, why can't this forum be a nice peacefull place like it used to be?

Cause M is back :p

jfonty
01-19-2014, 03:20 PM
This game is rushed, out of the three titles I have... Killzone Shadow Fall, Battlefield 4 & Assassins Creed 4, AC is the most broken as you can't access ubisoft servers with more than 99 people on your friends list, considering every game released on the PS4 can work with having 2000 people on your friends as standard, this is very poor from Ubi and not a patch to be found anywhere.

Now we know why Ubisoft is dropping online passes because they have borked the single player game.

To put this into perspective:

You can not access Kenways fleet
You can not play social challenges
You can not complete all game challenges
You can not platinum this game.

BigredInfinity
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Do you relise how long 2 years is? takes alot of hours, days, weeks, months to make 1 game, dude.