PDA

View Full Version : Animus Feedback System Suggestion

SIVISA
01-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Gamers should have the option of playing AC4 and future titles in series without any text on screen that can't be toggled on or off at will.

To Moderator and Development Team... Is this being considered?

To gamers... weigh in. In reference to AFS which displays Mission Objectives and Warnings that remain statically on screen throughout gameplay, is AC4 :

- enjoyable as is. Static AFS text is necessary and relevant to gameplay.

- more enjoyable if option is given to toggle AFS text on or off during gameplay as needed.

IWGCJoeCool
01-18-2014, 03:27 AM
if i would express any annoyance to how it's done now, and since Ezio

the Mission Objective is straightforward and no hand-holding needed, but 1. the optional objective to 100% synch has a problem. i dont mind that it disappears from the screen, but leave it there for another 10 seconds. then i dont have to Pause, breaking continuity, to make sure i do it right.

the GPS minimap - they have mucked around with the Eagle Vision every version, from changing the button activation, to having it do extra stuff, like in Revelations??? where it would display a targets footsteps awhile to help you track him. so, why not make Eagle Vision more robust, and at the same time less intrusive? seems it should always be working for our assassin hero, so let it disappear for a good amount of time, and only activate for a short time if a new enemy comes within our sensory range

and my god!!! make the minimap a true compass, at least with a N(orth) marking that doesnt get obscured by other places close, but not close enough to be in visual range.

let the Puppeteer guide slowly disappear too, and maybe only activate when you go into battle mode likewise any personal or ship/crew health meters...invisible unless they reach some critical level.

seems to me, a few of these suggestions would clear up the playscreen 90% of the time, and if you do see one, it's important.

and by all means, allow any and all onscreen aids to be toggled on/off to the liking of the individual.

JC

ACHILLES4713
01-18-2014, 04:51 AM
Yeah, they went crazy to the point of glaringly obvious hand holding in AC4 with all the icons. They need to tone it WAY down in future AC games. I want to glean information from the world that I'm in, not have the game tell me "Look at this flashing icon, you better get ready for the attack", or "You done screwed up sucka, press THIS button to attack". I love the Animus as a plot device, but that shouldn't be an excuse for cluttering up the screen with widgets over everything. Sure Ubi, have your tutorials at the beginning to show us how stuff works, but then just let us play the game and make mistakes and (oh the HORROR!!!), ACTUALLY DIE!!!. We're all smart enough to LEARN from our mistakes Ubi, stop treating us like we're 8. This needs to be relearned by every game development company. This past generation has gotten way too far to the hand holding end of the spectrum.

adventurewomen
01-18-2014, 05:07 AM
The new AC4 feedback "rating" animus system makes me wonder where do the ratings go? Do they just stay within the game recorded by Abstergo? Or are they sent to Ubisoft, so they can see a real time feedback of what types of missions fans like and cater to what fans like to see more or enjoy certain types of sequences? So many possibilities..

Personally, I think the rating system doesn't need to be there..

AdamPearce
01-18-2014, 05:47 AM
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/03/1390020402-ac4-hud.jpg

SixKeys
01-18-2014, 05:54 AM
The new AC4 feedback "rating" animus system makes me wonder where do the ratings go? Do they just stay within the game recorded by Abstergo? Or are they sent to Ubisoft, so they can see a real time feedback of what types of missions fans like and cater to what fans like to see more or enjoy certain types of sequences? So many possibilities..

It's the second option. This has been stated many times by the devs.

I definitely think the UI is due for some overhaul. I didn't mind the AC3 health bar, I don't understand why they went back to the old one in AC4. Puppeteer icons are pointless to have now that the concept no longer exists. Weapons icons could be smaller. The mini-map is fine IMO. Objectives always being on your screen is really annoying, even if you turn off everything in the HUD the main mission objectives still show up.

AdamPearce
01-18-2014, 06:05 AM
It's the second option. This has been stated many times by the devs.

I definitely think the UI is due for some overhaul. I didn't mind the AC3 health bar, I don't understand why they went back to the old one in AC4. Puppeteer icons are pointless to have now that the concept no longer exists. Weapons icons could be smaller. The mini-map is fine IMO. Objectives always being on your screen is really annoying, even if you turn off everything in the HUD the main mission objectives still show up.

There is way to much icons on the maps, it's really hard (at least for me) to find myself in it. AC1's would be great, since they were no buildings, it was really full exploration and also reflection. Would love to see it back.

SixKeys
01-18-2014, 06:31 AM
There is way to much icons on the maps, it's really hard (at least for me) to find myself in it. AC1's would be great, since they were no buildings, it was really full exploration and also reflection. Would love to see it back.

I can agree with that to some extent. What we need is to bring back meaning to exploration, and that means not having every treasure chest, Animus fragment, manuscript page and bottled message show up on our map from the start. In ACB/ACR flags and treasures would get marked on your map if you turned on Eagle Vision. That way you could scan the environment when you get to a new part of the city and create these little landmarks for yourself. I like that in AC4 icons of interest get shown underneath when you sync a viewpoint, but IMO they should only be visible from a high perch. Let's say you're looking for a group of dancers. They're not shown on your mini-map, you have to climb higher to get a better overview of the city. Once you're high enough, their location will be revealed, and you just have to memorize where that icon was relative to your location. Does that make sense?

AdamPearce
01-18-2014, 06:52 AM
I can agree with that to some extent. What we need is to bring back meaning to exploration, and that means not having every treasure chest, Animus fragment, manuscript page and bottled message show up on our map from the start. In ACB/ACR flags and treasures would get marked on your map if you turned on Eagle Vision. That way you could scan the environment when you get to a new part of the city and create these little landmarks for yourself. I like that in AC4 icons of interest get shown underneath when you sync a viewpoint, but IMO they should only be visible from a high perch. Let's say you're looking for a group of dancers. They're not shown on your mini-map, you have to climb higher to get a better overview of the city. Once you're high enough, their location will be revealed, and you just have to memorize where that icon was relative to your location. Does that make sense?

I think the High perch idea is great, only it's still to OP with your description. The way it could be use is to find places or landmarks. For example, you are told that your contact is at the Y Tower. So, what you do, you climb up X Tower and look around until you find Y Tower, once you've found it, you need to go in that direction, no automatic icon to tell where to go thou, you need to find your way by yourself.

poptartz20
01-18-2014, 07:44 AM

Personally, I think the rating system doesn't need to be there..

Honestly.. If I remember correctly I remember watching.. or hearing somewhere that the ratings actually go to the dev team within ubisoft. Of course it all remains anonymous but it will be used in terms of development of future titles.

SIVISA
01-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Thanks for weighing in everyone. Personally I can think of several ways to improve AFS. Eagle Vision can be overhauled to offer visual alternative to AFS text. You can also use audio. Something as simple as having lead characters think out loud how best to achieve goals. I don't want current system eliminated. It can still be present as option. By whatever means they choose to revamp interface, I just simply want the option to eliminate all text during gameplay.

I want to be caught up in the story and adventure. Text pulls me right out.

Dead Space is a franchise that exemplifies the creative concealment of load screens and user interface.

As for the rating feedback system, didn't it use it once. It should not be present at all during gameplay. Making a gamer stop long enough to consider whether he or she enjoyed the previous mission is a sure way to pull him or her out of the game. Forget suspension of disbelief.

Besides you have to give the gamer time to process his thoughts on the game overall. This system is more than likely skewed by how frustrated the gamer may have gotten to achieve previous set of goals. The rating system therefore is more of an indicator of player ability than game performance.

SixKeys
01-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks for weighing in everyone. Personally I can think of several ways to improve AFS. Eagle Vision can be overhauled to offer visual alternative to AFS text. You can also use audio. Something as simple as having lead characters think out loud how best to achieve goals. I don't want current system eliminated. It can still be present as option. By whatever means they choose to revamp interface, I just simply want the option to eliminate all text during gameplay.

I hate the "thinking aloud" stuff, so I would prefer an alternative to it. Remember how Ezio always used to talk to himself in tombs? "Perfect. A route up if I fall." Gee, thanks, Ezio. I never would have figured out that's what the ladder was for if you hadn't told me...

SIVISA
01-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Audio enhances realism when used properly. No one wants a running commentary while trying to play the game and it shouldn't be used to point out the obvious; only those things that are not. For the purpose of this thread, it is an alternative to static text such as "go to the beach" or during naval missions "board ship and sink ship". Having a mini story played out through audio as an alternative to static text can only enhance the experience. Imagine a dialogue between Adewale and Edward before engaging a naval contract for example.

Only a suggestion SixKeys. Do you prefer the static text perpetually on screen?

SixKeys
01-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Audio enhances realism when used properly. No one wants a running commentary while trying to play the game and it shouldn't be used to point out the obvious; only those things that are not. For the purpose of this thread, it is an alternative to static text such as "go to the beach" or during naval missions "board ship and sink ship". Having a mini story played out through audio as an alternative to static text can only enhance the experience. Imagine a dialogue between Adewale and Edward before engaging a naval contract for example.

Only a suggestion SixKeys. Do you prefer the static text perpetually on screen?

If you mean the mission objectives then no, I don't think any kind of perpetual statement about the objective is necessary. I hate how AC4 has the mission marker and above it a really specific piece of text like "reach", "dig", "kill" etc constantly on screen. The text and the objective icon will not go away at all during the mission. Previous ACs did fine with just a quick reminder of your next objective, like "Find the target in the crowd." Once you started moving, the reminder would disappear. Because it's reasonable to expect playes aren't goldfish with a memory span of 5 seconds. It's not that hard to figure out what you're supposed to be doing if it's mentioned clearly just once.

Landruner
01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
I hate the "thinking aloud" stuff, so I would prefer an alternative to it. Remember how Ezio always used to talk to himself in tombs? "Perfect. A route up if I fall." Gee, thanks, Ezio. I never would have figured out that's what the ladder was for if you hadn't told me...

That was actually a funny way to introduce useful information to the player and a smart way for the players to know they have a short cut ready to use in case they fall and i rather having this instead a no - removable black window on the side of the screen telling me that I just opened a short cut just in case I fall... - Sometimes perhaps, it was effectively over used, but still, I liked the way Ezio was saying this. Perhaps, It would have been better that you just fall and die instead of knowing that you may not have to redo all your progress since a short cut is there,(Ezio said it, it is there)

I believe the most annoying part are all those pop up windows that appear all the time especially when they are not accurate or you don't need them.

In AC4 the worst ones were the ones popping and pooping the corner of my screen telling me that I had enough material for upgrading the ship, and it was most the time, not the case at all. anyway; I do not really get all that effort from the devs to give information to the players in orders to old their hands all along the games.
One example, why the chest appear on the map without buying them or just looking for the treasure chest all over the places?

Why Ubisoft is selling Cheat codes on the Live markets for making players going faster in getting everything (collectable, gear and material) the quicker the better? -
Actually, top questions regarding the type of player Ubisoft is aiming with that serires? :rolleyes:
Who on earth paid for those cheating codes, and which kind of market and players Ubisoft is targeting for offering payable cheats and in game maps with everything on it?

dxsxhxcx
01-21-2014, 04:30 PM
I don't understand why they went back to the old one in AC4.

that's because we were using the Abstergo animus again, IMO AC1/4 health bars are way cooler than the others so I didn't mind the change..

cjdavies
01-21-2014, 04:43 PM
I trigged aa side quest by accident, and it was on an Island I was no on, so didn't want to go there just yet, but the objective wouldn't go away, very annoying.

That stupid "You can craft X now", well went I tried to do it, it kept saying "crafting is unavailable at the time".!!

The optonal objectives were better, at least they didn't say you failed until the end unlike AC3.

SIVISA
01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Hey everyone. Thanks for the input.

Normally I turn everything off and play using only the mini-map to navigate the environment. The character icon within mini-map unfortunately was burned into my screen. Since then I've been using ssi to navigate to targets. I prefer to remove all arcade like elements of game to get a greater sense of cinema though, so having multiple icons perpetually popping up when Edward is noticed by enemies is distracting and takes me out of the story. I want to enjoy the character in his environment.

I've enjoyed playing AC4 a great deal and look forward to new DLC and installments. I suggest a submenu for ssi so that you can select or deselect different elements of ssi function. If you prefer to have text, the R1 button should be used to toggle it on at will, as needed or desired, as it is used to outline collectibles at different locations in game.

Perfect example why it should be considered. Played the AC Initiates, Freedom Cry, Adewale Missions. Even when I was liberating plantations or in the Maroon Hideout, the slave ship naval side activity progress tracker remained statically on screen. Even when I was on land! Practically half the screen taken up by needless text. This is definitely a DLC bug but if you had the option to turn off the side activity progress tracker it would be a non-issue.

Finished AC Liberation HD and enjoyed it a great deal. Lot of value for the price. Unfortunately the same issue persists with the AFS Memories system. In this game though like AC3, you are able to remain in Eagle Vision mode while in motion or combat so you are able to remove all text from screen. Avoiding IR was manageable. But you can't enjoy all the lush details and color of the characters and environment and unfortunately the static currency counter remains on screen throughout except in cutscenes. Not a problem in AC4 as you can switch it off.

I really look forward to playing an AC game someday that allows you complete control of the AFS system or one that no longer requires it. It would really allow me to enjoy the game fully without any other concerns.

SixKeys
01-21-2014, 06:26 PM
that's because we were using the Abstergo animus again, IMO AC1/4 health bars are way cooler than the others so I didn't mind the change..

I know that's the in-game excuse, but if they really wanted to, they could justify keeping the AC3 style health bar and just claim Abstergo has upgraded the Animus UI. (If we're back at Abstergo, how come AC4's Animus database looks much more like AC3's than AC1's?)
I liked AC3's health bar because it didn't look like a separate element, it was neatly tucked right next to the mini-map, leaving the upper left corner free of clutter.

Dev_Anj
01-21-2014, 06:36 PM

I don't think thinking loud would work too well. Occasionally, it could be effective, but imagine how annoying it can get if the character says things like "I have to kill these guards!", "I have to leave the castle!", "I need to board a carriage!", "I need to buy a knife!" most of the time.

Voices require less effort to register than on screen text, I agree. But saying obvious things all the time can get annoying.

SIVISA
01-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Voices require less effort to register than on screen text, I agree. But saying obvious things all the time can get annoying.

Agreed. I wouldn't want running commentary or obvious dialogue. Your examples can easily be addressed in cutscene before missions begin then confirmed with the use of Eagle Vision. But a momentary voiceover that can be toggled to repeat if necessary is less distracting than text that perpetually litters the screen. Wouldn't you agree?

SIVISA
01-28-2014, 03:22 PM
The thread has received 100's of views. Please vote. Those interested are hoping to get Developer attention to seriously consider this suggestion. Even if you prefer the game as is help fellow gamers out and vote for toggling text on and/or off. It won't affect your gameplay but it could potentially enhance it. Thanks.

kaplan360
02-22-2014, 07:40 AM
You would think after Far Cry 3 that any and all HUD related info should be up to the player to decide how much is enough. If someone wants their hand to be held because they just want to finish the game or whatever, thats fine...but for those who like to get as immersed as possible this should be a no brainer. The mini-map in AC2 worked because you could toggle each individual collectible or mission. It was perfect. AC4 is a pirate game...shouldnt we have a compass or a star map? Ubisoft are talented, and I do enjoy their games ( splinter cell blacklist is my fave game of 2013) but the hand- holding mentality they force on us really is an insult to our intelligence.

LoyalACFan
02-22-2014, 07:55 AM
TBH my favorite thing about AC1 is that it can be played comfortably without any HUD at all. They need to go back to that IMO. I play AC4 with nothing but a minimap, and I wish I didn't even need that. And there's no need for asinine prompts for every mission objective either; I can surmise on my own that I need to "assassinate the target" without an unremovable text prompt. Your tasks should all be pretty easy to figure out based on dialogue and cutscene cinematography (i.e. zooming in on people or points of interest when necessary to suggest your next move).

But the one thing that actually infuriates me about recent AC's HUD is the NONSTOP tutorial popups. EVERY TIME I do a double assassination, a prompt appears on the screen telling me how to do it. Wow, thanks for that friendly reminder, as that was only the 597th time I've pulled off that move... Never would have remembered how to do it if you hadn't told me how after I'd already done it. I know you can turn these notifications off, but that also turns off fleet and social event notifications,

Fatal-Feit
02-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Agreed, Loyal.

They need to stop spoon-feeding us and start allowing us to use our intuitions. If a player gets lost, add features to the eagle vision like showing a pathway or highlighted areas. I've never understood why they constantly side-lined the eagle vision and placed more emphasis on the HUD instead.

SIVISA
02-24-2014, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the input and for bumping thread back to 1st page for other gamers to view and vote. I'm surprised more gamers haven't voted considering how many have viewed the thread. Probably not logged in or don't have accounts to post.

Recently I played The Last of Us DLC, Left Behind, and was completely caught up in the story. I can't tell you how disappointed I would have been if they had decided to place static text of any kind during gameplay. The only text I ever want to see, and only briefly, is the Chapter number and title.

I always single out the Dead Space franchise as the ideal interface for cinematic gameplay. Everything is cleverly concealed. The only time you are taken out of the story or game is when you choose to be.

I would love to add Assassin's Creed to the list. Imagine an AC game where the only time you see the classic AC load screen is when you enter or exit the Animus at your choosing. Where division of Chapters isn't so apparent and loading is concealed by cutscenes which end leaving you in the same exact spot at end of cutscene. I love it when transition between Chapters is unnoticeable except for Chapter number and title. Also I would love the option of replaying a Chapter and progressing from that point forward in game to view story cutscenes that current method of replaying sequences doesn't allow. That might help gamers with chapter trophies which refused to unlock in first playthrough.

They took a step in the right direction in AC4 with the Jackdaw and the seamless transition from land and naval missions. Hope it is taken further in future games.

Hopefully the Assassin's Creed movie will be hugely successful and will inspire the creators of this popular franchise to view and present gameplay in a more cinematic fashion.

Thanks again. Congrats to the community for completing the latest challenge. All my AC4 items are now finally unlocked!