PDA

View Full Version : 74 and still playing

russellie1
01-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Hi all
Just to add my voice and hope someone at ubi may be listening !!!!!! as I said I am 74 and have been a game player since the ZX was king, then amstrad came along. what's my main beef well AC is a great game and like all others it has evolved into a major player but it seems to be getting a lot more un necessary chit chat going on that is wasted when it could be used for game play. graphics are o.k but not should not be at the expense of game play. also don't forget us that do not have the luxury of a good internet connection and that the cost of online play can be the main prohibitor of people not playing.
I prefered the OLD assassin.
Regards
Russ

itsamea-mario
01-17-2014, 01:09 PM
See, this man is old, therefore wise, and the wise guy says that AC is getting worse.
HA told you all!!!

pacmanate
01-17-2014, 01:12 PM
See, this man is old, therefore wise, and the wise guy says that AC is getting worse.
HA told you all!!!

Its not getting worse, its just been stuck in quality limbo for years.

DinoSteve1
01-17-2014, 01:13 PM
agreed.

FreeKnowledge
01-17-2014, 01:14 PM
74,more power to you,game on.

itsamea-mario
01-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Its not getting worse, its just been stuck in quality limbo for years.

Well, i think with AC4 it's starting to get better.
But could easily fall with the next game.

Fatal-Feit
01-17-2014, 01:16 PM
don't forget us that do not have the luxury of a good internet connection and that the cost of online play can be the main prohibitor of people not playing.

This Ubs, this.

ze_topazio
01-17-2014, 02:24 PM
I'm nowhere near your age, only on my mid twenties, but i have to agree, while i did played games before that on friends and family houses, especially on my cousin's original Game Boy, i only start gaming for real in the 16 bit era when i got my own Mega Drive(Genesis in the US), i come from a time when the story was just three of four nonsense lines in the booklet and gameplay was king, i like a good story and pretty graphics as much as the next guy but gameplay should always come first.

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Sorry I must disagree,story and character development must always come first. So you played for gameplay huh,OK so it wasn't sonic,Mario,link,Belmont,or any other protagonist that got you to play.ff7 her death didn't wanna make you kick his butt,walking dead is a testament to story before gameplay,fable,journey, assassins creed 1or2.I can keep going,the fact you said gameplay comes first saddens me to know end.

SixKeys
01-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Sorry I must disagree,story and character development must always come first. So you played for gameplay huh,OK so it wasn't sonic,Mario,link,Belmont,or any other protagonist that got you to play.ff7 her death didn't wanna make you kick his butt,walking dead is a testament to story before gameplay,fable,journey, assassins creed 1or2.I can keep going,the fact you said gameplay comes first saddens me to know end.

Are you being serious? You played Sonic and LoZ because of the main character? :confused: Link doesn't even have a personality. Literally. He was designed to be an empty vessel for the player.

Journey was a marriage of gameplay AND story. A perfect example where one would not work without the other. You feel so strongly about the story because of the gameplay. When you're climbing up the icy mountain, you feel the weight and desperation because the controls actually slow you down. You grow attached to your companion because the gameplay only allows you to help each other, not annoy or get in each other's way.

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Its called imagination something you kids are severely missing now a days.no I climb that mountain for the story to continue to find whatever's at the top of said mountain. The story brought me to said mountain in the first place,of course I want good gameplay but not at the expense of story.it has to be a equal balance,but to me story comes first its the reason you stick around for the gameplay to see if its good.

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Its called imagination something you kids are severely missing now a days.no I climb that mountain for the story to continue to find whatever's at the top of said mountain. The story brought me to said mountain in the first place,of course I want good gameplay but not at the expense of story.it has to be a equal balance,but to me story comes first its the reason you stick around for the gameplay to see if its good.
Dafuq is that first line? Kids?

There are two common ways in which a game idea is born. There is the one where someone says: "I have an idea about a game where X character wakes up in a place and does this and that and is driven into Y adventure" (story driven game) or the one where someone says: "I have an idea about a game where X character must jump and throw stuff in this manner in order to achieve stuff" (gameplay driven game).

Story Driven

So depending on the starting idea for a game there are differences in the outcome according to the features each paradigm adds to the game. If the game is story driven then it will probably have a strong initiative factor for the player to start playing the game (if the story has a good start) and also a strong motivational factor to keep the player playing until the end (if the plot is interesting).

On the disadvantages of making a story driven game you will find that there are some problems if the designer can't match the story to an original game mechanic. Story driven games are characterized for their dynamic change in the game mechanics so they can add to the story plot.

Examples of this are games where you find items, unlock special skills and abilities, find special enemies, meet special allies (and maybe they can join you). If you limit the game to a game mechanic with few or no evolution at all then it would be probably better to just make a movie or write a book about it.

Another disadvantage of story driven games is that there are some players that just like to play for the sake of doing something fun (casual gamers). Some of these players are very religious about making the game experience casual and prefer not to get involved in the long term intentions of the game itself (the story).

Gameplay Driven

On the other hand there is the gameplay driven design which will be probably a light engaging game. This means that the game will motivate the player to play the game for the fun itself.

The design of a gameplay driven game is somehow faster than a story driven game: the designer must only think about the main game mechanic (the initial idea) and develop it in order to adjust it to some difficulty management along the game experience. Some designers prefer not leaving everything to just some difficulty tweaks and create a simple story ocurring along with the evolution of the main game mechanics.

Assuming the gameplay idea is exceptionally good (and it's more probable for this to happen than in a story driven game) then there is a great advantage that can be taken into account for games developed with a game mechanic in mind from the start: it is easier to create a story that matches a game mechanic than creating a game mechanic which matches a story. It is also easier to adding the fun factor to a game when the gameplay is being thought from the start.

A game idea starts with a solid GAMEPLAY feature first and foremost, then you build a story around it. gameplay ALWAYS comes first. if a story point or element does not serve gameplay or cannot be reconciled with the gameplay limitations (programming) it's cut or replaced. EVERYTHING centers around gameplay first and foremost. the hell are you talking about??

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm not budging, we will just have to choose to agree on disagreeing. O:-)on a side note, there can be a game with bad gameplay and bad story,you'll be like,I'm never touching this again.on the other hand there can be a game with good story bad gameplay and you'll still play through it,ala most RPGs.O:-)

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm not budging, we will just have to choose to agree on disagreeing.
No, i'm telling you facts, just like you posted your opinion as fact and called Sixkeys a kid without imagination...if you prefer story over gameplay, then good for you...

on a side note, there can be a game with bad gameplay and bad story,you'll be like,I'm never touching this again.on the other hand there can be a game with good story bad gameplay and you'll still play through it,ala most RPGs.O:-)
Reread my post..

You're talking from YOUR point of view. what YOU'LL do. I wouldn't continue to play through a game with bad gameplay and good story. I never played the Walking Dead and I never will. your examples are mundane and bare, not to mention that you failed to list if a game has bad story, but good gameplay, which leads me to believe that you actually have no cruddy idea what you're talking about.

greypigeon
01-18-2014, 10:12 AM
" 74 and still playing" is the title of the thread.
I will be 70 this year and still enjoy gaming !

itsamea-mario
01-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Funny thing about GAMES, GAMEplay is kinda important, you know, what with them being GAMES.

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Umm no I was saying kids in general including you.OK so gameplay,let's say you give a character a sword,what's he gonna fight, what's his fighting style,where's he from,oh he can swing a sword real well,I like this gameplay that always happens because of story.with out story there is no need for gameplay to be created,story creates the gameplay.every little gameplay element happen because of the story even the gameplay has a story in and of its self.

itsamea-mario
01-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Umm no I was saying kids in general including you.OK so gameplay,let's say you give a character a sword,what's he gonna fight, what's his fighting style,where's he from,oh he can swing a sword real well,I like this gameplay that always happens because of story.with out story there is no need for gameplay to be created,story creates the gameplay.every little gameplay element happen because of the story even the gameplay has a story in and of its self.

Tetris had no story, nor did pong, most sports games, historical strategy games don't really have a story, a lot of tactical simulator games don't, I'm pretty sure the ARMA games don't have stories, games like War of the Roses and such don't have actual stories, lot's of games don't have stories, no games don't have gameplay.

EDIT: MINECRAFT DAMMIT!!

ze_topazio
01-18-2014, 12:53 PM

On the contrary, lack of imagination is when people need a story and pretty graphics to feel motivated, when i was a kid i would play Sonic the Hedgehog and while playing i would imagine my own story, games with a bit more story than Sonic but still not that much? i would use my imagination to fill the blanks, i even came up with random stories while playing Mortal Kombat.
And i would look at the pixels of Final Fantasy VI and imagine characters more realistic looking than what modern FF game have.

I'm not budging, we will just have to choose to agree on disagreeing. O:-)on a side note, there can be a game with bad gameplay and bad story,you'll be like,I'm never touching this again.on the other hand there can be a game with good story bad gameplay and you'll still play through it,ala most RPGs.O:-)

Persona 3, great story, gave up completely after more or less 10 hours of playing it because i couldn't stand how repetitive and restrictive the game was anymore, and this was on a time when JRPGS was my favorite genre, although to be fair this was on a time when i was starting to get tired of the genre.
Hideki Kamiya and Shinji Mikami are two of my favorite game developers of all time, the stories in their games are either bad or extremely corny, with some exceptions of course, but when it comes to gameplay they are pretty much unmatched in the industry and i play the hell out of their games because they are just that good.

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Exactly you would imagine a story.@mario so you wanna move backwards ,good old tetris lol.imagine a story lol you just made my point.tetris had a story,beat all the levels,every game ever made has had a story no matter how small it might seem to you.

itsamea-mario
01-18-2014, 01:06 PM
Exactly you would imagine a stroy.@mario so you wanna move backwards ,good old tetris lol.imagine a story lol you just made my point.tetris had a stroy,beat all the levels,every game ever made has had a story no matter how small it might seam.

You may note, i did mention other games....

All games have an objective, and to some extent you could say they kind of have a story, as in you make your own story for the game, but that's just being picky, what we're talking about is a written story, with characters and lore and such, written by writers. There are still plenty of games that don't have or need that.
Games, they're games, things you play.

russellie1
01-18-2014, 02:18 PM
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!
Thank's for all the replies. I agree that AC is a great game BUT it seems to be going the way of all good games. To much emphasis on idle chit chat at the expense of game play time. I don't like spending 40 plus for 24 hrs play. although game play time on AC stands alone as a great value for money game. It's just that the programer's seem to like the sound of there own voice with idle chit chat when you could have longer play time. As for sonic & mario please don't insult me.
Take a look at Battlefield and the likes, the emphasis is on the graphics and you can get through the game in hours,
Each to there own.
Regards
Russell
Needless tp say I played the game as it was meant to be played ( in fact I played it through 3 times) the last time time to get ALL the chest Visit all Locations Makeallthe Dives get all but 1 treasure map. still not satisfied But hey !!! That's called old age
Play on and enjoy

russellie1
01-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Good on you grey pidgeon. don't let them ruffle your feathers
Regards
Russ

SixKeys
01-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Exactly you would imagine a story.@mario so you wanna move backwards ,good old tetris lol.imagine a story lol you just made my point.tetris had a story,beat all the levels,every game ever made has had a story no matter how small it might seem to you.

"Beat all the levels" is not a story, it's an objective. Do you even know what a story is? "Beat all the levels and you will get to marry the princess", that's a story. "Beat all the levels and you will have saved the world from aliens", that's a story. A story is the framework built around the gameplay objective. Link swinging his sword from right to left or left to right is a gameplay mechanic. The reason WHY he would want to learn to swing a sword in the first place is the story. And like others have pointed out, that story doesn't always have to be there from the start. Minecraft has no story. You either make one up yourself or you just mess around with the gameplay, but it has no inherent story.

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 03:21 PM
I guess you've never beaten tetris.minecraft has a story,when you first play minecraft it tells you ,use the tools to build shelter, find material and build a world or just explore, don't go out at night because there's monsters that can kill you,then your story begins.

Fatal-Feit
01-18-2014, 03:27 PM
I guess you've never beaten tetris.minecraft has a story,when you first play minecraft it tells you ,use the tools to build shelter, find material and build a world or just explore, don't go out at night because there's monsters that can kill you,then your story begins.

That's not a story, that's a gameplay experience. And there's no such thing as beating Tetris, IIRC.

But if you're going to use those as an example, then you're contradicting your first post and your whole entire argument.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-18-2014, 06:57 PM
No 74 yr old uses the word 'graphics'
You all are too gullible -_-

russellie1
01-18-2014, 08:23 PM
What would you use Pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cartoons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! illustrations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the mind bogles.

LOL

russellie1
01-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Like the game don't take it to serious

DynaRider
01-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Hello Russ from another old guy game player. I'm 76 and an Atari was my first game system. Progressed through the Nintendos to my present Play Station 4. Had my first computer built specifically to play MYST and have over the years been building my own machines. Not a fan of the first person shooters and the Assassin's Creed series has been my all time favorite game. For me it's been just the right mix of play and it's the only game I've really enjoyed playing and replaying several times. Sure there are some parts of the games I don't like but overall I can spend a lot of hours enjoying the settings and graphics that have gotten better as the game advances. I do have a fear of high places and I gotta admit that climbing some of those view points gives me a bad case of the willys. I hope there are many more in the series yet to come.

By the way. Never did quite understand why people say the have "beat" a game like AC. I say you don't beat it you just complete it.

AssassinHMS
01-18-2014, 08:47 PM
By the way. Never did quite understand why people say the have "beat" a game like AC. I say you don't beat it you just complete it.

Me neither, there's nothing to actually beat in AC, except from the boredom that comes from not having anything to beat.

itsamea-mario
01-18-2014, 09:18 PM
No 74 yr old uses the word 'graphics'
You all are too gullible -_-

As we all know the word 'graphics' was invented in 1997, we also humans are incapable of learning new information past the age of 24.

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Why is everyone still arguing with Freeknowledge? EVERYTHING he needs to know to actually call himself "Knowledge" about which is more important in games is in my post, but he's going to ignore it because he can't read English under the guise of "to each his own"

itsamea-mario
01-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Why is everyone still arguing with Freeknowledge? EVERYTHING he needs to know to actually call himself "Knowledge" about which is more important in games is in my post, but he's going to ignore it because he can't read English under the guise of "to each his own"

Well to be fair, to each his own.

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 09:26 PM
Well to be fair, to each his own.
but but but but...facts

itsamea-mario
01-18-2014, 09:29 PM
but but but but...facts

You know what they say, a bird in the hand an all that.

pacmanate
01-18-2014, 10:06 PM
but but but but...facts

Its good to see you back!

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Its good to see you back!
I thank you, my friend. Caviar for the welcome party will be here soon

You know what they say, a bird in the hand an all that.
but it may take a dump on your hand

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 10:50 PM
M,you are the most selfish person i have ever met,you say there facts not the gaming industry. 100% sure most if not all game developers would agree with me.opinions are a wonderful thing,doesn't mean you get to force them down a persons throat.M,you must feel so smart because you talk and write so much on these boards,meantime I can get my point across with one paragraph. Woman your daft, go wash your mustash,you think by insulting ppl you'll get your way,typical woman trying to be a man,don't even reply back to me you are a waste of forum breath.also I'm surprised you can read nonetheless write anything since you love gameplay so much,I look forward to seeing your brain turn to mush,oh wait it already has hasn't it lol.

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 10:53 PM
M,you are the selfish person o have ever met,you say there facts not the gaming industry. 100% sure most if not all game developers would agree with me.opinions are a wonderful thing,doesn't mean you get to force them down a persons throat.M,you must feel so smart because you talk and write so much on these board,meantime I can get my point across with one paragraph. Woman your daft go
You know...i'm trying hard to feel insulted...but it's not working D:

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 11:34 PM
That's because you're too dimwitted to realize what insulted means. :-D

Assassin_M
01-18-2014, 11:36 PM
That's because you're to dimwitted to realize what insulted means. :-D
Too*

FreeKnowledge
01-18-2014, 11:55 PM
God you love to hear yourself don't you,probably why you're on these forums so much,anyway misses smarty pants have fun talking to your self.by the way grammar police is so 5 year's ago.

Assassin_M
01-19-2014, 12:01 AM
God you love to hear yourself, don't you? probably why you're on these forums so much, anyway Mrs/Miss smarty pants have fun talking to yourself.
-Corrections in red.
-You can't hear yourself when you type

by the way, grammar police is so 5 years ago.
Then why did you correct your previous post?
Corrections in red.

FreeKnowledge
01-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Lol women always want the last word,thank god my wife is nothing like you,you must have a lonely life.cheers:-D

Black_Widow9
01-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Hello and welcome to the Forums :D
Please make sure you also post this here:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*
Thanks ;)