PDA

View Full Version : A weight system

funnyman44
01-17-2014, 03:05 AM
I think y'all get the gist of it. The less you have equipped, the faster/more agile you are and vice versa.

Edit: Y'all don't understand.
I don't want a Fallout/Skyrim weight system.

Take a fully armored/equipped Edward: he'll move at x mph
Take Edward with only his hidden blades and no armor, he'll move at x+y mph

This will affect climbing and the like.

IWGCJoeCool
01-17-2014, 03:46 AM
like in Skyrim?

lol

did a recent AC1 replay and was listening closely when Altair was moving about....the clank and sturm of it all...and i was supposed to believe nobody heard him?

HiddenKiller612
01-17-2014, 03:47 AM
No.

RoBg03
01-17-2014, 04:27 AM
like in Skyrim?

lol

did a recent AC1 replay and was listening closely when Altair was moving about....the clank and sturm of it all...and i was supposed to believe nobody heard him?

i know right? or notice he's the only monk walking around strapped with weapons....as far as a weight system, i'd like the option to equip different items, but more for the purpose of customizing my assassin for different styles. kinda like how we have different classes of enemys.

AssassinHMS
01-17-2014, 04:29 AM
I support that, ACís social stealth really needs to become believable. After all, an Assassin should be nothing but a blade in the crowd. But how can you blend in a crowd if you are a walking tank? Itís completely immersion breaking (especially given the games force the player to carry every kind of weapon).
And, how can an Assassin climb, parkour and swim properly with such a huge arsenal of weapons (plus armor in some cases)?

Besides, with a weight system, the player is encouraged to take some time to organize his gear and leave the non-essential items behind. If the player is more of a marksman, he can choose to ditch the sword or axe in favor of the bow/crossbow. In this case, while the Assassin can eliminate targets from afar, he is more vulnerable in combat. On the other hand, if the player chooses to carry an axe and some armor, the Assassin will make more noise when moving (easier detection) and wonít jump as farther or sprint at full speed. This combination fits players who rely on combat and keep stealth to a minimum.
This way, every gear combination is balanced and prevents players from feeling overpowered while also allowing them to customize the Assassin according to their play style.

I would also like the addition of clothing accessories that conceal certain weapons (cape to conceal a bow, boots where the player can place a knife, long sleeves to hide the hidden blade bracer, etc.)
For these reasons, the inclusion of a weight system, would definitely be beneficial to the franchise.

TexasToast712
01-17-2014, 11:09 AM
No. I hate being restricted by real world limitations in a video game. I do, however, support the option to choice and pick what we carry. A loadout if you will. Sometimes I just want to rock a short blade and throwing knives. Other times I want to go all out with a two handed weapon and strapped with hidden pistol and darts.

Sabuto78
01-17-2014, 11:48 AM
ya a weight system would be a good idea. then again what if you needed a certain weapon for a full synch obj? and you didnt bring that 1 weapon along? That'd be a pain >.<

DinoSteve1
01-17-2014, 11:50 AM
it wouldn't be a problem if they got rid of synch rate.

Fatal-Feit
01-17-2014, 11:51 AM
No thanks. I really think it's a good idea, but if they continue AC:IV's direction, it wouldn't work. The way the AI performed and set up in AC:IV required all of Edward's tools.

If they made a complete open-world stealth game like MGSV, then by all means, make it happen.

LoyalACFan
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
I don't think we need to be slowed down by excessive equipment, but I do think they need to give the characters a greater sense of weight. It's hard to explain what I mean, but in the last two games with the "upgraded" free-running, the Assassin feels WAY too responsive to minor inputs and WAY too likely to leap onto any nearby object I don't want them to leap on. I feel like Edward is especially prone to this, but even Connor, who's a bloody tank of a man compared to the other three, feels way too light and prone to dramatically soar through the air when all I wanted him to do was lightly jog forward.

Bah, I want the old two-button system back, that's all I'm going on about. It was so much more precise.

DinoSteve1
01-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Maybe its just my imagination, but I was felt Ezio runs faster when he gets Altairs armour, then when hes wearing normal armour.

UncappedWheel82
01-17-2014, 05:13 PM
The more RPG elements that AC incorporates the better it will get in my opinion. Having a more in-depth economy system, that takes into consideration loot restrictions, like weight, would make the world feel like it has more depth, as well as give you more reasons to go back and play single player.

Also, I love the fact that they brought in the idea of getting higher level gear back in AC2, but I think they really need to take more consideration into creating a system that incorporates higher level enemies as well to keep the combat fresh and interesting. The more the series continues, the more it seem that the combat is just a means to an end, an obstacle of sorts. Kill streaks are fine, but more emphasis on the 1v1 would be better IMO. It would make every encounter less of a slog, and more of a moment to moment encounter.

funnyman44
01-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Y'all don't understand.

Fatal-Feit
01-17-2014, 11:27 PM
Y'all don't understand.

It doesn't have to affect movements. It could be a fixed certain capacity of weapons he's allowed to carry. Like having to choose between a crossbow or a heavy weapon. If you ask me, I think it could work. AC is about upgrading anyway. Perhaps they could make being able to carry more capacity an upgrade.

funnyman44
01-17-2014, 11:43 PM
No I don't like that. Right now, stealth and combat can be done at the same time. This will promote taking what you need for the job.
I like the first part of your post but I don't want an upgrade like that. Being a tank is fine, you just shouldn't be able to be a stealth tank.

IWGCJoeCool
01-18-2014, 03:38 AM
No. I hate being restricted by real world limitations in a video game. I do, however, support the option to choice and pick what we carry. A loadout if you will. Sometimes I just want to rock a short blade and throwing knives. Other times I want to go all out with a two handed weapon and strapped with hidden pistol and darts.

it's the limitations that draw me to this game series, or similar stuff like maybe Uncharted, where you, well first of all, are in a reality based experience, and second, cant/dont carry everything and the kitchen sink. leave the 7-foot long swords to Skyrim and Kingdoms Of Amalur and the like.

and, every time i reply to similar posts, i'm always going on about how i'd like to see a return to the basics of AC1...a shortblade, a supply of throwing knives, a sword, and my fists. throw dual hiddens and arial assasinations into an AC1-era revisit and i'm lining up for the preorder.

Hans684
01-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Skills:
1) You start the game with only the abilitiy to attack and defend.
2) You have to train in a training area like AC1 and AC2 to gett more skills.(like one-counter-kill, chain-kill etc.)
3) The skill sets unlock trough the story.
4) For the casual players the ability to chain-kill and counter can be learned after completing sequence 1(intro).
5) You don't have to learn every skill for full sync.
6) You can also train to gett stealth skills like using enemy clothing, light/shadow stealth etc.
7) Meaning at the end of the day You make your of difficulty, so complains of it being easy is irrelevant.

World:
1) The guards have the same skill(more or less) as you when every skill is learned.
2) For the hardcore there is a moral/reaction system(some idea someone had a while a go) that react to what you do. It can be turned off if you are casual player.
3) There are hunters(former assassins/templars agents) in the game that obviously hunt you, they have even more skill then you(can be turned off) even when fully upgraded. You can't just fight them head on, you have to use navigation, stealth & combat to kill one.

The Protagonist:
1) The upgrade system works like the one in ACIVBF/FC3.
2) You have to upgrade each health bar one at the time.
3) You start the game with very low health and bad weapons.
4) Upgrades unlock trough the story.
5) You can upgrade the limit of weapons/ammo to carry.(if you don't want guns, then upgrade a holster for bow and arrow, crossbow, blowpipe or nothing at all)
6) You don't have to be fully upgraded for full sync.
7) You can upgrade some weapons(more damage to the hidden blades or from original hidden blades to chain-blade, pivot blade or add hook blade)
7) Meaning at the end of the day You make your own difficulty, so complains about having to much weapons weapons and/or to much overpowerd weapons is irrelevant.

It gives players the option of being One-Man-Army or Stealthy. Your game, your rules & your way. It gives the challenge, the tension, the fear etc... Everything you make your self. Or a relaxing easy game.

dbzk1999
01-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Skills:
2) You have to train in a training area like AC1 and AC2 to gett more skills.(like one-counter-kill, chain-kill etc.)
4) For the casual players the ability to chain-kill and counter can be learned after completing sequence 1(intro).
6) You can also train to gett stealth skills like using enemy clothing, light/shadow stealth etc.
7) Meaning at the end of the day You make your of difficulty, so complains of it being easy is irrelevant.

World:
1) The guards have the same skill(more or less) as you when every skill is learned.
2) For the hardcore there is a moral/reaction system(some idea someone had a while a go) that react to what you do. It can be turned off if you are casual player.
3) There are hunters(former assassins/templars agents) in the game that obviously hunt you, they have even more skill then you(can be turned off) even when fully upgraded. You can't just fight them head on, you have to use navigation, stealth & combat to kill one.

The Protagonist:
5) You can upgrade the limit of weapons/ammo to carry.(if you don't want guns, then upgrade a holster for bow and arrow, crossbow, blowpipe or nothing at all)
7) You can upgrade some weapons(more damage to the hidden blades or from original hidden blades to chain-blade, pivot blade or add hook blade)
7) Meaning at the end of the day You make your own difficulty, so complains about having to much weapons weapons and/or to much overpowerd weapons is irrelevant.

It gives players the option of being One-Man-Army or Stealthy. Your game, your rules & your way. It gives the challenge, the tension, the fear etc... Everything you make your self. Or a relaxing easy game.im good with this but as long as it's not like ac1 where u had all the skills and then Altair magically loses them

Kirokill
01-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Hans684 has a good list. I agree with all of it.

Fatal-Feit
01-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Skills:

World:

The Protagonist:

It gives players the option of being One-Man-Army or Stealthy. Your game, your rules & your way. It gives the challenge, the tension, the fear etc... Everything you make your self. Or a relaxing easy game.

These are some creative ideas but I don't want any difficulty ''switches'' on an AC game. It'll ruin the experience for a lot of people.

Hans684
01-18-2014, 06:46 PM
These are some creative ideas but I don't want any difficulty ''switches'' on an AC game. It'll ruin the experience for a lot of people.

It will ruin the experience for the people unable to remake the current "difficulty". You have to train to learn the skill(in a training erea/zone). Nothing to ruin there, we trained to learn new skill in AC1 & AC2. This is the same but at a bigger and effectiv scale, it has impact on the game. You want an easy game, then you know what to learn and how much weapons to have. You want a difficult game, then you know what not to learn and how much weapons to have. The game gives you the tools, you choose how to use them.

Fatal-Feit
01-18-2014, 06:55 PM
It will ruin the experience for the people unable to remake the current "difficulty". You have to train to learn the skill(in a training erea/zone). Nothing to ruin there, we trained to learn new skill in AC1 & AC2. This is the same but at a bigger and effectiv scale, it has impact on the game. You want an easy game, then you know what to learn and how much weapons to have. You want a difficult game, then you know what not to learn and how much weapons to have. The game gives you the tools, you choose how to use them.

You mistunderstood. I agree your ideas on learning new skills and adapting to your play style, however I don't want any on or off difficulty settings like in an FPS or RPG. For example -

Things like that should be implemented into the game by default, not optional.

Hans684
01-18-2014, 07:02 PM
You mistunderstood. I agree your ideas on learning new skills and adapting to your play style, however I don't want any on or off difficulty settings like in an FPS or RPG. For example -

Things like that should be implemented into the game by default, not optional.

Personally i think it should be default myself but it's just an idea.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-18-2014, 07:19 PM
This is the most annoying thing ever in gaming history lol

funnyman44
01-18-2014, 07:44 PM
@Hans:

I could dea with that as long as we don't hit the "inevitable RPG protagonist" where you can pretty much do everything at any time. I'm fine with learning to be good in combat and stealth. I just want there to be emphasis on choosing what you do and when you do it and for there to be consequences based on your choices.

Consus_E
01-18-2014, 08:01 PM
I think the Ezio trilogy ruined any likelihood of having to worry about equipment weight...
http://oi44.tinypic.com/28u2wxe.jpg
How about we just make the amount of equipment you carry have an effect on detection?