PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with Ubisoft?

EdwardKenway729
01-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Boycott Ubisoft Official Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Ubisoft/582508765169044?fref=ts)

adventurewomen
01-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Ironic since your username is EdwardKenway so I assume somewhere in your mind did enjoy AC4. ;)

Frag_Maniac
01-16-2014, 09:06 PM
What I find ironic is you actually have to sign up for Facebook to boycott it. DOH!

My way of boycotting Ubi's social networking style of sp is just refusing to go along with their inviting strangers in as "friends" to get certain sp perks, which is ridiculous IMO.

Ubi are attempting to redefine singelplayer and friendship for mere cheap word of mouth advertising. They think lots of people are going to beg their friends to buy the game so they can help each other play it, without having to go to the expense of scripting in actual coop features.

Syr.Jake
01-16-2014, 11:36 PM
What I find ironic is you actually have to sign up for Facebook to boycott it. DOH!

My way of boycotting Ubi's social networking style of sp is just refusing to go along with their inviting strangers in as "friends" to get certain sp perks, which is ridiculous IMO.

Ubi are attempting to redefine singelplayer and friendship for mere cheap word of mouth advertising. They think lots of people are going to beg their friends to buy the game so they can help each other play it, without having to go to the expense of scripting in actual coop features.

If the only way to get the SP perks is by linking your Uplay account to your Facebook account and then letting Ubisoft post to your FB timeline, then I would agree. However, no where is it required that you "advertise" for Ubisoft, nor any AC game, in order to have people on your Friends List.

Your "friends" do not even need to be people you know.

If Ubisoft's goal was Word of Mouth Advertising by adding people to your friends list, then they failed miserably.

Personally, I don't give two ^($# about anyone on my Uplay "Friends" list, and if they all dropped dead tomorrow, not only wouldn't I know about it, I don't think I could even come up with the sympathy needed to express any regret at the loss of life if I did find out.

There is ZERO word of mouth advertising of any kind regarding the Uplay Friends list other than it shows what game you are playing. So what? As I said, I couldn't care less who those people are, let alone what game they are playing, it isn't like my real friends are on the list. They are just names on a list to fulfill what Ubisoft wants for this game, and they already own ubisoft titles, or they wouldn't be on that list to begin with.

Frag_Maniac
01-17-2014, 03:49 AM
That all pretty much went right over your head didn't it?

If the only way to get the SP perks is by linking your Uplay account to your Facebook account and then letting Ubisoft post to your FB timeline, then I would agree. However, no where is it required that you "advertise" for Ubisoft, nor any AC game, in order to have people on your Friends List.I never said Facebook activity or forced advertising was required. What I meant and said was it looks like they want to sell more copies of the game after people buy it and see that they need social activity for completion in sp.
Your "friends" do not even need to be people you know.Kinda makes my point that what they're calling "friends" are not in fact friends. Others beside myself here have stated they don't like forced social networking with complete strangers in the sp campaign.
If Ubisoft's goal was Word of Mouth Advertising by adding people to your friends list, then they failed miserably.Uh, DUH, and that it didn't even work properly at launch and STILL doesn't work properly doesn't help. It was a bad idea to begin with and it was poorly implemented.
Personally, I don't give two ^($# about anyone on my Uplay "Friends" list, and if they all dropped dead tomorrow, not only wouldn't I know about it, I don't think I could even come up with the sympathy needed to express any regret at the loss of life if I did find out.All this just to validate what I've been saying, that these aren't "friends" but rather people that want to leech off you like those whom subscribe to your YouTube channel in hopes they'll get more subscribers themselves. It's Ubi preying on those whom are completion and/or social networking addicts.
There is ZERO word of mouth advertising of any kind regarding the Uplay Friends list other than it shows what game you are playing. So what? As I said, I couldn't care less who those people are, let alone what game they are playing, it isn't like my real friends are on the list. They are just names on a list to fulfill what Ubisoft wants for this game, and they already own ubisoft titles, or they wouldn't be on that list to begin with.You really are thick aren't you? I'm not saying the "friending" itself, or what happens while doing it is advertising, I'm saying when people find out you need "friends" to complete the game, a lot of them are likely asking their ACTUAL friends to buy the game so the ones they "friend" with are ACTUALLY FRIENDS! Geez, how dense can you be? You go on agreeing that random "friends" aren't acquaintances, to the point of saying you don't care if they drop dead, yet you're oblivious to my point about a lot of people wanting to do their sharing with actual friends, which obviously could lead to them asking their real life friends if they want to buy and play it with them. It's not rocket marketing science, just putting 2 and 2 together.

Theylmar
01-17-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm done with Ubisoft unless they hand me the cash or magically succeed in making my savegame reappear.

No way I am replaying totally scripted game where nothing changes from first play just because Ubisoft managed to f**k up.

Fatal-Feit
01-17-2014, 10:42 AM
This won't get very far. :p

strigoi1958
01-17-2014, 02:30 PM
In reply to the OP No! I'm not fed up with Uplay but thanks for asking :D They very kindly keep all my games locked away in cyberspace and when I want them I log in and download them. No Dvd's cluttering up the place no continually keeping a disk in the drive till it gets an error/ scratch or breaks.... doesn't matter if I lose my serial key or my hard drive/ pc breaks down... my games are there ad infinitum... instant updates... no more searching for sites with patches... so thanks Uplay

Calrid
01-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Just why are all software companies so dire at customer support, I have yet to play a multiplayer/singleplayer game where the company was considered competent let alone good?

Is it impossible? Is it the the players fault are we expecting too much? Why wherever you go are games companies just woefully unable to gain the respect of their players when it comes to this? I mean there are awards for most customer satisfaction in business, would a games company ever get one. Well not in my lifetime at least, or so it seems? Now I don't even have a beef with ubisoft, well not yet, no problems for me, but the more I read of this forum and forums of games companies in general the more I have to ask? Just what is the deal guys..? is it a hard core group of persistent whiners or do they have a point?

Frag_Maniac
01-17-2014, 10:07 PM
In reply to the OP No! I'm not fed up with Uplay but thanks for asking :D They very kindly keep all my games locked away in cyberspace and when I want them I log in and download them. No Dvd's cluttering up the place no continually keeping a disk in the drive till it gets an error/ scratch or breaks.... doesn't matter if I lose my serial key or my hard drive/ pc breaks down... my games are there ad infinitum... instant updates... no more searching for sites with patches... so thanks Uplay

Then again, MnemonicSyntax and I have the Steam version, and have verified along with MANY others that it is far less problematic than Uplay versions in general. We've seen countless examples of problems people are having with Uplay download/install versions that we don't have.

Examples:

No problems with...

1. "Flying Dutchman" bug
2. Catch the Sage crash bug
3. Entering Principe crash bug
4. Viewpoints not syncing bug
5. Freedom Cry not DLing/installing bug

These are just but a few common bugs mentioned that I and Steam version owners in general don't seem to have. There's nothing to be praised about Uplay. It's still the worst game distribution/browser software in the industry, and this game demonstrates that quite clearly.

strigoi1958
01-17-2014, 11:59 PM
I've had no problems and I have Ubi games via uplay AND via steam (also have Origin) I've never had problems from any. To me they are just shops where I buy my products. If uplay sells a product and let steam sell it for them... it still comes from uplay and has exactly the same files regardless. Steam do not add any magic.. they take their commission and sell the same digital copy. Whatever makes your copy work flawlessly with steam running in the background also makes my copy run without steam running in the background.
If we searched for steam problems/origin problems/ Uplay problems we'd find them and that's because they sell millions globally and no company is 100% perfect 100% of the time... plus some people are going to have problems because of their equipment, ISP or lack of technical knowledge, or even a driver fault (like me :o)
Uplay suffered a breach a while ago and are no doubt doing something about it and it may (or may not) have something to do with the bugs. I had an Xbone Live account hijacked and strangely now I have 2 accounts that they cannot sync :confused: (they are starting to implement security now) Sony had a breach and shut down for weeks and then restarted... steam had accounts stolen (my 2nd steam purchase never ever worked I bear no grudge).
That is all unfortunate but that's life. Me... I don't buy any games from MS any more via XBL... it doesn't make XBL bad for millions globally... it was just bad for me.
I often wonder to myself just how hard it would be to set up something like Uplay/steam/origin and keep it working 24/7365 and keep millions happy. I wouldn't like it if 1 person was unhappy but some things are just not in our control.
Before I complain I try to put myself in the other persons place.
And if I still feel unsatisfied after complaining I take my custom elsewhere, while others, feel like martyrs screaming for an army to rise up and smite the giant (which will not generally happen) hoping that they'll get a victory parade, appear on letterman and have their life story told in a multi million making blockbuster that they deserve because they spent $30 and circumstances unfortunately made the experience annoying for a while.

Frag_Maniac
01-18-2014, 02:28 AM
Steam do not add any magic.. they take their commission and sell the same digital copy.

That was all rather horribly constructed (no paragraphs for one), so I'll just stop there. Steam is just an app Valve made, but yes Valve DO pay more attention to efficiency of such software than Ubi does. Steam is more streamlined for instance. It takes up about 25-58MB of RAM, vs 152-192MB for Uplay. It doesn't have finicky problems with download/install paths, nor does it create lots of fragmentation when installing. Steam also hasn't had overlay conflict problems like Uplay has in a lot of games.

Who are the ones insisting on a more stable coded OS to run their games on, Valve, not Ubi. Who are the ones that had Freedom Cry up and running quickly despite Ubi's errors not entering it into the Season Pass library, Valve, not Ubi. Who are the ones usually having bugs with AC IV that others don't have, those whom DLed and installed it via Uplay. Rare is the case where those with Steam copies have all the problems those with Uplay copies have.

I also suspect those whom had a bad Principe Forge file, which was verified by the entering Principe crash bug being resolved when using a healthy copy of that file that someone uploaded, was likely caused by packet loss and/or file corruption in the Uplay DL and install process. I also took part in that thread and asked them if they had Uplay copies, and they pretty much all said yes.

Sorry, but I'll take Valve's software expertise over Ubi's any day. The differences are obvious.

strigoi1958
01-18-2014, 04:22 AM
Well it is 3. am here so my thoughts aren't quite together.

I have no problem with steam no problem with Uplay no problem with origin. The size of the software isn't really that important. Especially if you're installing a game of such a size :D. I use steam mover so I don't have a problem with download paths but granted some may.

It all ultimately runs through uplay regardless... and some people will get problems no matter where it was bought and if we want to play AC games we have to have uplay....

Unless Ubi change their minds and allow a single DRM which I doubt.... the choice is as simple as that, uplay or no AC.
If you believe running steam first then uplay makes it better then I glad for you but it will not get me to join the OP's bandwagon. when my steam game failed do you think I had a right to go to the steam community and scream for a boycott of steam (well probably yes... we're all entitled to our own opinion :D) but do you think it would have done me any good ? well apart from releasing stress :D no because I'd be the minority over there and little things really don't worry me.

There are millions of people not bothered about where their game comes from they only care about the game.... I buy from ebay so I buy the cheapest code regardless.

If millions stopped buying games that required Uplay then maybe Ubi would do something but as I suspect the vast majority have no problems they have no reason to do that and the minority would simply exercise their right to choose where their money goes. As I said nobody can be 100% perfect 100% of the time and Ubi will have feedback trickling through and will work on uplay as it goes.... they must be doing something as I've had a few updates...