PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed Liberation HD Review (Spoilers)

Wolfmeister1010
01-16-2014, 04:13 AM
Yay! Some more AC to tide me over until Dark Souls 2 and Dying Light come out in a few months! Here is my review of Assassin's Creed Liberation HD.

Story: I love Aveline. She is a great character, and is better than most of the characters in, say, AC3 or AC4. But..she is the only good character in the game..at all. The other characters are either extremely poorly written (Madeliene) or are extremely awkward (in character AND voice acting) such as Mister Blanc. The story itself is intriguing in the beginning, but jumps all over the place for the remainder of the campaign, ending in an extremely unstatisfying conclusion. It does some weird things like making us assassinate the Governor, but without even knowing why, and without any sort of backstory or anything. Basically, Aveline did a mission to find missing supplies, and then "boop!" We need to assassinate the governor. The story is decent at best, with its ONLY anchor being Aveline, and it suffers from almost as painfully executed character development as ACIV. The only time in the story where my eyes unglazed was when Connor had his appearance.

Music: very nice music, but doesnt really compare to anything Kyd, Balfe, or Tyler has done in the past. Nothing more really to say.

Gameplay

Combat: basically exactly the same as AC3 with a few differences. For starters, the weapons themselves do WAYY more damage than any other game. By that I mean that instead of being about to stab and stab and stab (without doing a combo kill animation) for a ridiculous amount of time, you can kill an enemy this way very quickly. Also, the system features an auto killstreak system that makes the combat even MORE laughably easy. This system, which prompts you to stop time and tap over which enemies you wish to kill and in which order, steals the last bit of life that the current AC combat system has.

Stealth: exactly the same as AC3, which is to say that the guards can detect you from behind buildings, below you on the streets, and can always find you during a chase. Would have thought that they would have at least tweaked the system to make it somewhat as good as ACIV's. Pity.

Parkour: LOL, sorry couldnt resist! Yeah parkour is still the same **** as it has been for 6 years.

Personas: ...soo, we have an assassin persona that makes you permanently notorious, a slave persona that makes you unable to do kill streaks..and a lady persona that forbids you from climbing and running at a speed faster than a graceful jog. Let me tell you right now that the ONLY time in this game you will EVER use any other persona than the assassin one is when the game FORCES you to use one of them. There is absolutely nothing fun about walking around powerless as a lady (other than some role playing value) and nothing is added to the game with the ability to be harassed by more thugs than normal. And BOTH of the alternate personas forbid you from carrying your usual weapons, making you only able to wield your hidden blade and parasol gun as a lady, and your blades as a slave. This system is as broken as it can get, people. And this is basically the only standout feature of the game, so.

Size and Length: the game world is very very very small, with the city being about the size of nassau and the bayou being about as big as maybe the city part of forlí, maybe a bit more, which is understandable, considering this was made for a less powerful Vita system. The game took me about 7 hours, to do the campaign and viewpoints and some collectables. Took me two days.. Yeah.

Graphics: the game is certainly closer to AC3 graphics than Vita graphics, but the game still looks like a high definition PS2 game. It has better audio than the original, and better lighting and detail, but the textures are still as smooth and flat as a baby's bottom, with each character looking like their faces are made of plastic, free of markings, wrinkles, blemishes, and any detail at all. However, the character models for the enemies/guards are pretty good, to my surprise, and they have some cool animations, like doing proper musket twirls and drills with their commander during a drill. All in all, this game looks a bit better than AC2 in some areas, and worse in others. After playing ACIV on pristine next gen, this game was almost painful to look at.

Location: the city of New Orleans is cool cuz of the opulent citizens and bright french colors..but it just as flat and boring as Boston, even moreso due to its size. The bayou is a bit more empty as the frontier..but being way smaller and way uglier.

All in all: this game does nothing to upgrade from the vita version other than add a few missions, increase graphics a bit, and achieve better audio. None of this BS about "improved gameplay and missions" is true. And if it is, it is EXTREMELY subtle and almost unnoticeable. This game is worth maybe 10 dollars. Not 20. I understand WHY the game is so bad, cuz it was made for Vita.. It is not like ubi thought they were making some revolutionary new AC title with the ambition of AC4. but that doesn't mean that I cant say it lol.

Rating:

Story: 5/10
Graphics: 5.5/10
Gameplay:6.25/10

Game rating: 5.5/10

Fatal-Feit
01-16-2014, 04:21 AM
Grrrrrr! Ubisoft hurry up and pend my damn order!!!

Thanks for the review! If you say its above mediocre, I'm all for it. New Orleans looks like your average RPG village brought to life. I seriously cannot wait to explore it!

Wolfmeister1010
01-16-2014, 04:23 AM
Grrrrrr! Ubisoft hurry up and pend my damn order!!!

Thanks for the review! If you say its above mediocre, I'm all for it. New Orleans looks like your average RPG village brought to life. I seriously cannot wait to explore it!

...it is not above mediocre. I thought it would be fun to roam through a new city and bayou..but it falls flat in a few hours.

But thank you for the kind words. I hope you enjoy it more than i do

Fatal-Feit
01-16-2014, 04:39 AM
...it is not above mediocre. I thought it would be fun to roam through a new city and bayou..but it falls flat in a few hours.

But thank you for the kind words. I hope you enjoy it more than i do

A rating past 5 is above mediocre, or am I wrong?

Wolfmeister1010
01-16-2014, 04:51 AM
A rating past 5 is above mediocre, or am I wrong?

Well, look at my poll. My score is somewhere beween broken and bad lol. Mediocre is like a 6.5-7. I dont think mediocre literally means "middle" despite the "medi" part in there lol. I may be wrong as well.

SixKeys
01-16-2014, 04:53 AM
I'm definitely gonna wait for a Steam sale on this one, especially since you say the AI is just like in AC3. Ugh, painful flashbacks.

busterdozer
01-16-2014, 05:29 AM
i found the game to be right in line with the other ac games,but i myself was schocked at the ending,of all the creed games i would never thought that this game would turn a great assassin into a templar,if i had known, that would be the out come,i would have shut it off right after the conner mission needless to say i can only hope this does not become a trend in future titles

Fatal-Feit
01-16-2014, 05:34 AM
i found the game to be right in line with the other ac games,but i myself was schocked at the ending,of all the creed games i would never thought that this game would turn a great assassin into a templar,if i had known, that would be the out come,i would have shut it off right after the conner mission needless to say i can only hope this does not become a trend in future titles

Thanks for the BIG spoilers. =(

It's to be expected though. FML

killzab
01-16-2014, 01:05 PM
It looks and runs like **** on my PC with MAX settings. And the plot is as confusing as it used to be. Don't bother, it's not worth your time.

itsamea-mario
01-16-2014, 01:27 PM
What you got against Orlando Bloom?

Hans684
01-16-2014, 04:54 PM

If you have played it on PS Vita long before re-release you will know the real ending, your not finished yet.

SixKeys
01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the BIG spoilers. =(

It's to be expected though. FML

Well yeah, it's to be expected when you click on a thread with "spoilers" in the title.

You'll be glad to know you didn't actually get spoiled though. The game has two endings.

Jish_01
01-16-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm just happy about the Erudito parts! Found them pretty cool. About time he/they made an 'appearance'! To think I almost bought a Vita just to play this game, ha.

AdrianJacek
01-16-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm just happy about the Erudito parts! Found them pretty cool. About time he/they made an 'appearance'! To think I almost bought a Vita just to play this game, ha.You should watch the AC3 Multiplayer story videos if you haven't already.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt0TgHwzJEQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohEGGOTXX8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt0TgHwzJEQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohEGGOTXX8)

SleezeRocker
01-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Well, look at my poll. My score is somewhere beween broken and bad lol. Mediocre is like a 6.5-7. I dont think mediocre literally means "middle" despite the "medi" part in there lol. I may be wrong as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcU99RJs8ww

lol

the game looks ok but since there are some nice game sales on PS+ I held out on AC:L (had it on vita but gave it my 1/2 bro). I may get it later on if it's on sale on the PStore. Perhaps likely when Watch dogs releases or before new AC :P

guardian_titan
01-16-2014, 07:14 PM
If you got the ending where Aveline became a templar, you didn't complete the game. At the (real) end, she kills Madeline. Kill the Citizen Es to get the real ending. They pop up after select sequences. I managed to get the real ending when I beat the game and avoided the false ending due to keeping up with the Citizen Es.
If you really paid attention to the game, you'd be aware that Abstergo tampered with Aveline's memories. There's even a tutorial with Erudito that explains the tampered memories and how to view the real ones. This mechanic I'm sure we'll be more likely to see going further. If you read the database entries in AC4, there's some suggestions that Edward was also tampered with. Seems such a waste to bring Erudito in only to brush him under the rug. Rather surprised he wasn't in AC4 (main story anyway).

Already own the game on Vita myself so wasn't expecting many changes. I buy it for the PC, it'll be on Steam when it's 75% off. And even that's a big if since I already own it. At best, I might get it for the Connor mission since I have AC3 on PC so didn't get it on the Vita, but $20 for one mission isn't worth the price tag. I'm not even sure it's worth $5. I love Connor, though. :p I wasn't too thrilled with Liberation when I played it originally and not really sure I can bring myself to play it again even on another platform. I was lost with a large chunk of the story and a lot of it is certainly forgettable.

Kind of wish they rebuilt the faces for at least the main characters. They look so blocky. Just watched a video on IGN and wanted to cringe. Seems all they did was change the textures without doing much of anything for the models. Maybe it looks better on PC or later in the game since the IGN video was only the first 5 minutes or so.

DarktheMagister
01-16-2014, 07:44 PM
I got to the point where you first control grown Aveline in free-run mode....and then her face stretched out across the entire screen and made it impossible to move.

True_Assassin92
01-16-2014, 10:42 PM
I must say that whilst I haven't played it on vita, it's decent so far. It's like AC3 all over again. Not too bad, but not the best either. It does have a lot less glitches then AC 3.

Torvaldesq
01-17-2014, 01:43 AM
If you read the database entries in AC4, there's some suggestions that Edward was also tampered with.

Yeah, though it seems the only tampering that's gone through in AC4 is on minor locations (like a database entry saying, "Oh, this famous staircase doesn't exist in Edward's time... screw it, put it in anyway.") On more important plot stuff, the database entries are more along the lines of letting the player know that he IS seeing the real plot unfold, but that the corporate supervisors are planning to cut out stuff they don't like when they ship it for public consumers.

Assassin_M
01-17-2014, 02:18 AM
Glitchy as hell, bad Voice acting (barring Aveline, Agate and several others) and terrible facial animation...

I like the focus on social stealth, though...it's not perfect..nor even great, but it's a start, decent story, Aveline is just great....one more protagonist above Ezio...

MORE AVELINE, DAMMIT...I WANT MOAR