PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Creed

RinoTheBouncer
01-15-2014, 04:44 PM
What do you think of the idea of “A Cowboy trained by the assassins” :troll:

http://romancebandits.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cowboy-1.jpg

adventurewomen
01-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Stereotypical Cowboy and Westerns and it would just be full of stereotypical hollywood types of Natives. No thanks. :nonchalance:

DinoSteve1
01-15-2014, 04:48 PM
That picture seems more like Chippendales Creed.

RinoTheBouncer
01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Stereotypical Cowboy and Westerns and it would just be full of stereotypical hollywood types of Natives. No thanks. :nonchalance:
Can it get anymore stereotypical than Pirates?

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Pirates were a good role, though. And it made a great game... So.

RinoTheBouncer
01-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Pirates were a good role, though. And it made a great game... So.
Cowboys can be good too, if the game only states that he looks and acts like a cowboy but now inducted into the creed for a greater good. Pirates were a good role and the made a good pirates game.

adventurewomen
01-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Cowboys and Pirates are on the same level of stereotypes.

ze_topazio
01-15-2014, 05:17 PM
No GTA clone ever came close to the real GTA, a Red Dead Redemption clone would fail just like all the other clones.

yankeegamergirl
01-15-2014, 05:17 PM

LOL. I know right. :)

Wolfmeister1010
01-15-2014, 05:18 PM
The 3 most Hollywood abused/stereotypical types of characters are pirates, cowboys, and ninjas. What would we do in a cowboy game? Plunder cattle from enemy ranches? lol

RinoTheBouncer
01-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Just to be clear, I’m not really supportive of the idea. I just wanna see what you guys think. Some of you defended ACIV’s use of pirates so I wanna see whether cowboys, whom are just as misused in Hollywood movies as Ninjas and Pirates will be embraced or hated.

itsamea-mario
01-15-2014, 05:23 PM
This is like, the gayest post i've ever seen...

yankeegamergirl
01-15-2014, 05:31 PM
The 3 most Hollywood abused/stereotypical types of characters are pirates, cowboys, and ninjas. What would we do in a cowboy game? Plunder cattle from enemy ranches? lol

I kind of agree with this. When I think of an era in history where there is so much for Ubisoft to play with I don’t think of the cowboy era (didn’t it last like only 20 years ?). I think we should stick to our campaigning for an ancient AC Rino :)

yankeegamergirl
01-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Cowboys and Pirates are on the same level of stereotypes.

This is what I meant to quote but I agree with Wolf too :)

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Cowboys can be good too, if the game only states that he looks and acts like a cowboy but now inducted into the creed for a greater good. Pirates were a good role and the made a good pirates game.

A good game with a great story is what we want, no? Cowboys aren't exactly a specific one-dimensional role that most pirates are. A Cowboy-Assassin from the get-go is not impossible.

RinoTheBouncer
01-15-2014, 05:56 PM
This is like, the gayest post i've ever seen...

So what? AC doesn’t have a label “for straight people only"

A good game with a great story is what we want, no? Cowboys aren't exactly a specific one-dimensional role that most pirates are. A Cowboy-Assassin from the get-go is not impossible.

Yeah. I think it can be good if it’s handled well. The problem is with ACIV, they focused more on making it mainstream than making it story-driven.

Wolfmeister1010
01-15-2014, 06:22 PM
So what? AC doesn’t have a label “for straight people only".

You have been here a while so you should know by now to not take any of the **** he says seriously lol

itsamea-mario
01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
So what? AC doesn’t have a label “for straight people only"

Yeah. I think it can be good if it’s handled well. The problem is with ACIV, they focused more on making it mainstream than making it story-driven.

I dno, this is the box i got
http://i.imgur.com/BOjL7Qd.png

pacmanate
01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Joking aside, no one is going to beat Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar just owns westerns now.

itsamea-mario
01-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Joking aside, no one is going to beat Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar just owns westerns now.

Gun was a good game.

Mr_Shade
01-15-2014, 06:36 PM
[rolls eyes]

SixKeys
01-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Why the hell not?

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/024/b/d/cowboy_assassin_by_azraellavolpe-d4njino.jpg

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2010/258/4/a/the_hawk_by_captain_x-d2yrmmw.jpg

Hans684
01-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Considern they went historicly with pirates and not mainstream/misused(stereotype) version, a cowboy assassin is a good idea if they do the same again but with cowboys instead.

pacmanate
01-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Actually talking about straight people.

Are Edwards crew all gay?

"That fair ones mine" and a few other weird rapey comments are said whilst boarding sometimes.

Wolfmeister1010
01-15-2014, 06:47 PM

What about Red dead Redemption 2? Lol.

itsamea-mario
01-15-2014, 06:47 PM

"That fair ones mine" and a few other weird rapey comments are said whilst boarding sometimes.

Arrrr, a life at sea can be a lonely one, after a few months on that briney road the man by your side begins to look mighty nice.

Wolfmeister1010
01-15-2014, 06:48 PM

(in lispy voice) "Ready BOYS??!"

itsamea-mario
01-15-2014, 06:49 PM
(in lispy voice) "Ready BOYS??!"

AYE AYE CAPTAIN!

l

TexasToast712
01-15-2014, 07:40 PM
All trolling aside. I would kill for a Assassin's Creed set in the Old West. I wouldnt want to play as a indian again though.

TexasToast712
01-15-2014, 07:42 PM
The basis for the game could be protecting a indian tribe which in possession of First Civ technology or whose lands are on First Civ ruins and would be why the government is fighting them and trying to relocate them. Custer could be a Templar........

phoenix-force411
01-15-2014, 07:48 PM
I don't think I'd care for a cowboy assassin. Plus, the setting would be a no no if it were cowboy.

TheDanteEX
01-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Would a Western Assassin even need to be a cowboy? That aside, the horses and gunplay in the AC games are pretty bad so.. Red Dead Redemption pretty much satisfied every want that a Western video game should be.

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Would a Western Assassin even need to be a cowboy? That aside, the horses and gunplay in the AC games are pretty bad so.. Red Dead Redemption pretty much satisfied every want that a Western video game should be.

It's becoming outdated though. AC have shown some promising things. The gunplay in AC:IV was awesome and the horses in AC:3/AC:B was great. Imagine free aiming off a horse!

In the previous games you could assassinate, hunt, shoot, jump, and perform stunts off a horse. Was I the only who pretended I was playing Cowboy's Creed when using a horse in AC:3? If the developers was able to successfully mainstream naval and make it extremely fun, I'm sure they could do the same if they focus on improving horses.

TheDanteEX
01-15-2014, 08:20 PM
It's becoming outdated though. AC have shown some promising things. The gunplay in AC:IV was awesome and the horses in AC:3/AC:B was great. Imagine free aiming off a horse!

In the previous games you could assassinate, hunt, shoot, jump, and perform stunts off a horse. Was I the only who pretended I was playing Cowboy's Creed when using a horse in AC:3? If the developers was able to successfully mainstream naval and make it extremely fun, I'm sure they could do the same if they focus on improving horses.

Personally, I think Red Dead does a million things right that other games still can't do. The only things outdated to me are the physics occasionally and the graphics (most games use facial capture now). As for the gunplay in ACIV, they're not true shooter controls. The way it functions is very cheap, which is understandable because it's not a shooting game. It's meant for careful precision.

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Personally, I think Red Dead does a million things right that other games still can't do. The only things outdated to me are the physics occasionally and the graphics (most games use facial capture now). As for the gunplay in ACIV, they're not true shooter controls. The way it functions is very cheap, which is understandable because it's not a shooting game. It's meant for careful precision.

But a good competition would be fantastic! How awesome would it be to have AC tackle the mid-west and attempt to overthrow RDR?!

The physics and graphics of AC are near top-notch and if they want to re-use the Anvil Next for this, I'm all for it. The gunplay in AC:IV, of course, wasn't perfect but it was still pretty useful and would be very promising if borrowed for another game. I mean-- Imagine being able to seamlessly shoot 4 enemies off their mounts during a horse chase. Or during one of those typical Quick Draw/Gun Duels. The blunderbuss could make a return and be assessible on a horse too!

SixKeys
01-15-2014, 08:51 PM
How is RDR outdated? Its graphics are still better than most games today and all the gameplay elements are solid.

pacmanate
01-15-2014, 09:10 PM
How is RDR outdated? Its graphics are still better than most games today and all the gameplay elements are solid.

Maybe he played it on PS3, that thing looks like CRAP on PS3.

SixKeys
01-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Maybe he played it on PS3, that thing looks like CRAP on PS3.

I have it on PS3 and it looks fine. Compare the graphics with ACB which came out in the same year, no contest really.

silvermercy
01-15-2014, 10:41 PM
If the cowboy looks like the guy in that pic, yes. Please. :o

RinoTheBouncer
01-15-2014, 11:10 PM
You have been here a while so you should know by now to not take any of the **** he says seriously lol

Never really noticed him/her.

RinoTheBouncer
01-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Why the hell not?

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/024/b/d/cowboy_assassin_by_azraellavolpe-d4njino.jpg

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2010/258/4/a/the_hawk_by_captain_x-d2yrmmw.jpg

This is sexy!

If the cowboy looks like the guy in that pic, yes. Please. :o

HELL YEAH!

Never really noticed him/her. Haha but glad to know :)

acbrother17
01-16-2014, 12:14 AM
They did have american Mid-West in the Email in AC4, so this setting is a possibility to happen. I like that it will be different and interesting to see in the AC franchise, but people have favored tall buildings and unique architecture too much, that they will not like it. One of the same reasons i think a number of people didnt like AC3.

roostersrule2
01-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Leave the west to the best.

All hail R*

TheHumanTowel
01-16-2014, 01:13 AM
All the utterly flat plains would be perfect for a game with a heavy focus on verticality and climbing.

I-Like-Pie45
01-16-2014, 01:27 AM
Make it a comic book instead of a game

Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and drawn by Jock

Fatal-Feit
01-16-2014, 04:49 AM
I have it on PS3 and it looks fine. Compare the graphics with ACB which came out in the same year, no contest really.

That was 2011. AC have came a long way. I also said it's ''becoming outdated''. The game looks decent, but with AC also being accessible on PC, I say Brotherhood looked much better by default.

FreeKnowledge
01-16-2014, 05:14 AM
We did a cowboy assassins creed it was called GUN,way back in the day.assassins creed 3 was basically a ripoff of GUN.think it was a ubisoft title too,or created by ppl who found ubisoft.idk but yeah GUN.

itsamea-mario
01-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Never really noticed him/her.

I noticed you :(

roostersrule2
01-16-2014, 06:44 AM
That was 2011. AC have came a long way. I also said it's ''becoming outdated''. The game looks decent, but with AC also being accessible on PC, I say Brotherhood looked much better by default.Well obviously the PC version of ACB would look better then RDR but on console RDR's graphics trump ACB and most games up until recently.

A PC version of RDR would be choice though.

Fatal-Feit
01-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Well obviously the PC version of ACB would look better then RDR but on console RDR's graphics trump ACB and most games up until recently.

A PC version of RDR would be choice though.

Its hard to expect anything less from a Rockstar game. If only they supported PC.

pacmanate
01-16-2014, 09:42 AM

All hail R*

Long time C no?

HiddenKiller612
01-16-2014, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't mind a game set in the Wild west... Just not ACV...

RinoTheBouncer
01-16-2014, 02:45 PM
I noticed you :(
I’m glad to meet you ;)

Ureh
01-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Whatever they think can work, I'm all for it. It'd be nice to get back on the saddle (ie a horse).

jfonty
01-16-2014, 09:46 PM

More like Bareback Creed.

Cowboys? Assassins? Templars? lol ...when that happens you know the franchise is dead, it would be like introducing the "Michael Myers" killstreak in COD.

Don't do it UBI (btw patch the PS4 version to have fleet access with more than 99 friends, game is part broken for some)

lothario-da-be
01-16-2014, 10:05 PM
LOL this is such a bad idea. Ubi with yeary releases beating Rockstar's RDR? Impossible in the near future.

itsamea-mario
01-16-2014, 10:27 PM
"Hey guys, this picture i found looks nice, they should set a game there" -Everyone here.
Seriously, just because there's some nice fanart doesn't mean it would make a good setting for assassins creed.

The wild west would be terrible, open plains, separated by some rocks with the occasional small town with buildings meters apart that only have 2-3 stories at the most.

Now in AC1, i quite liked the kingdom as an intermediary between cities, but imagine the kingdom, but worse, then set an entire game there.

The basis for the game could be protecting a indian tribe which in possession of First Civ technology or whose lands are on First Civ ruins and would be why the government is fighting them and trying to relocate them. Custer could be a Templar........

An AC game where we protect an indian tribe?
An indian tribe with possession of first civ technology?

Dude, that game came out in 2012....

True_Assassin92
01-16-2014, 11:15 PM

All hail R*

What he said!

FreeKnowledge
01-16-2014, 11:31 PM
RDR was kinda a ripoff of gun to just so you know.gun came out first I don't want to here it and it was a open world wild west setting too.RDR was a better game thou.

ACfan443
01-17-2014, 12:59 AM
Awful idea. AC4's Caribbean/golden age of piracy setting was initially met with some scepticism because of how unusual and unfitting it sounded for an AC game. But it worked, mainly because the setting itself dovetailed nicely with the well established navigation pillar of the franchise. Plenty of things to climb, large dense bustling cities, even islands had some quirky organic navigational elements.

The west on the other hand is a stark contrast to all of the previous settings when it comes to what's available to climb. Unless the ability to free run on cacti somehow satisfies this prerequisite, I don't particularly imagine it being fun roaming a vast expanse of interminable nothingness.

It would also be quite a tiresome and unpleasant chore moving through such an environment - considering long distance navigation in the west heavily revolves around the use of horses, which in the AC universe seem to possess an extra pair of chromosomes (and show absolutely zero sign of improvement). So..that just cannot work.

One more thing, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I found RDR to be one of the most boring games I've ever played - an opinion which the setting of the game played a large role in forming.

Ureh
01-17-2014, 03:50 AM
"Hey guys, this picture i found looks nice, they should set a game there" -Everyone here.
Seriously, just because there's some nice fanart doesn't mean it would make a good setting for assassins creed.....

If you're referring to art posted by SixKeys (sorry if I'm naming the wrong person), the one with the noose in the background is actually official (by seedseven, the guys who paint the box art).

SixKeys
01-17-2014, 04:30 AM
I only posted those because OP seemed to be suggesting that AC set in the Wild West would be stupid just because pirates and cowboys are cliché. I don't really want AC in that time period, but I'm not saying it couldn't be done. Project Legacy had AC set in the First World War. I wouldn't want a full game about that setting either, but it just goes to show AC as a concept is not - and should not be - tied to just a few time periods and locations. You just need a creative dev team to bring out the true potential of the setting.

itsamea-mario
01-17-2014, 07:00 AM
If you're referring to art posted by SixKeys (sorry if I'm naming the wrong person), the one with the noose in the background is actually official (by seedseven, the guys who paint the box art).

It doesn't matter, pretty pictures are no basis for the setting of a game.

TexasToast712
01-17-2014, 10:50 AM
So much hate for a Old West setting. Damn you city folk! *shakes fist angrily* lol jk. I do think it could be a badass setting for AC though. We have done pirates, so why not cowboys?

itsamea-mario
01-17-2014, 10:53 AM
So much hate for a Old West setting. Damn you city folk! *shakes fist angrily* lol jk. I do think it could be a badass setting for AC though. We have done pirates, so why not cowboys?

Because Pirates had ships, had jungle environments, had city environments, they had swords and just a generally interesting setting.

What the hell do cowboys have?

DinoSteve1
01-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Hats?

itsamea-mario
01-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Hats?

You know who else had hats?

Pirates.

TexasToast712
01-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Because Pirates had ships, had jungle environments, had city environments, they had swords and just a generally interesting setting.

What the hell do cowboys have?

Who says it has to be restricted to rural regions. We could go to eastern cities or as far as California or Mexico. Also, they had swords in the army. Cavalry swords.

Here is what a cowboys setting could have.

1. Cool cowboy hats. Way cooler than pirate hats and powdered wigs.
2. Six shooters and lever actions
3. Indian enemies.
4. raiding caravans
5. Gold mining.
6. Customizable horses (Breed/color selection)
7. Lassos
8. Bring back the bow and arrow.
9. Give us a badass bowie knife.
10. Refined hunting.

DinoSteve1
01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Cowboys had better hats.

Fatal-Feit
01-17-2014, 11:02 AM
I only posted those because OP seemed to be suggesting that AC set in the Wild West would be stupid just because pirates and cowboys are cliché. I don't really want AC in that time period, but I'm not saying it couldn't be done. Project Legacy had AC set in the First World War. I wouldn't want a full game about that setting either, but it just goes to show AC as a concept is not - and should not be - tied to just a few time periods and locations. You just need a creative dev team to bring out the true potential of the setting.

Word. :)

I remember somewhere in a podcast, Darby and Ashraf said that any setting can be interesting. The settings and characters of AC:IV started off boring until they spiced things up.

itsamea-mario
01-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Hey, remember when people used to go one about the pillars of assassins creed? i do, those where what each game should be built one, remember what they were? i do.

(social) Stealth
Combat
Freerunning/navigation

now, let's go to point one. surely we've all seen westerns? out there on the planes were few people live, come across a town, you have shops a saloon some houses, yeah real nice, good place for a shootout. how often do you see crowds? how often do you see hustle and bustle? what are we supposed to do? it's hard to be a blade in the crowd without a crowd. Maybe we dress as a tumbleweed and roll around.

Combat, well, this is more acceptable, guns would play a big part, but if were including natives then we open up the potential for melee also.

and lastly, freerunning. well, how does this work? Let's climb to the top o the saloon, wow it's so high in top of this two story building, what shall we do now? i dno, climb down then shoot someone.
Rivetting.

You mention that perhaps we could go to the eastcoast. we could, there were proper cities there, the potential for actual gameplay, but then it's not a wild west game, then it's AC3 but set a hundred years in the future.

Fatal-Feit
01-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Hey, remember when people used to go one about the pillars of assassins creed? i do, those where what each game should be built one, remember what they were? i do.

(social) Stealth
Combat
Freerunning/navigation

now, let's go to point one. surely we've all seen westerns? out there on the planes were few people live, come across a town, you have shops a saloon some houses, yeah real nice, good place for a shootout. how often do you see crowds? how often do you see hustle and bustle? what are we supposed to do? it's hard to be a blade in the crowd without a crowd. Maybe we dress as a tumbleweed and roll around.

Combat, well, this is more acceptable, guns would play a big part, but if were including natives then we open up the potential for melee also.

and lastly, freerunning. well, how does this work? Let's climb to the top o the saloon, wow it's so high in top of this two story building, what shall we do now? i dno, climb down then shoot someone.
Rivetting.

You mention that perhaps we could go to the eastcoast. we could, there were proper cities there, the potential for actual gameplay, but then it's not a wild west game, then it's AC3 but set a hundred years in the future.

Social stealth could always be improved. AC:3 have shown some promising disguises. You could sit, browse shops, and performs other actions that doesn't revolve standing around. I've always wanted an AC where you aren't limited to having other people stand around to be invisible. I want my Assassin to pretend admiring a painting, act the role of a single drunk, pretend to be adjusting his horse saddle, there's always ways to fill in the gaps.

It does not have to be the mid-west, but at least in a future sequel.

RinoTheBouncer
01-17-2014, 02:20 PM

(social) Stealth
Combat
Freerunning/navigation

Rivetting.

I agree that AC has always been about what you mentioned above. It’s true. And the main reason I made this thread was to twist the term “Pirate trained by Assassins” a bit. However, I do believe that AC’s gameplay should change a bit with the story requirements. I mean, with AC games, we’ve done blending, eavesdropping, tailing, hiding, climbing..etc. does that mean we have to be stuck with this forever? I don’t think so. I even say the same about the idea of a present day AC game.

People say “Thats’ not how AC gameplay style is. It’s always been about climbing, hiding, blending..etc. and it’s always historical” ok, it’s always been historical but I think it would’ve been more original if we, for example, had ACIII taking place in present day because the story was about Desmond finding the temple and saving the world. I know Connor’s story was EPIC and I LOVED IT. But I’m saying that it’s much better to see AC evolve and change according to the story needs, and not have a story and setting change to fit the same game play of AC1 to ACIV.