PDA

View Full Version : Black sails- new pirate tv show

KrYpToNiC95
01-15-2014, 12:27 PM
I actually came across this today and it has been receiving some attention since mid last year. I searched on the forum and couldn't find anything on it so I thought that maybe others would be interested in it too. I'm watching it at the moment and it seems pretty decent so far. Michael bay is the producer whom I believe was behind transformers. The show starts in 1715 and features Nassau in the first episode. If anyone else has seen it share your thoughts as I still have the majoity of the episode to go.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2375692/

DinoSteve1
01-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Has it started airing yet?

KrYpToNiC95
01-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Well it's due for the 25th but it was on the App Store as of yesterday. I'm sure streaming sites have it too but I know the rules about that stuff so I won't go any further :P

guardian_titan
01-15-2014, 05:52 PM
The US channel ABC was supposed to air a show called Crossbones or something like that staring Blackbeard either last year or this year. Either it got pushed back, canceled before it even had a chance, or revamped. Chances are it got dropped due to the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise also being Disney owned (ABC is Disney owned for those unaware). I haven't seen anything on it in months and don't recall the exact name of the show. Black Sails isn't it, though. The premise of the two shows are too different for them to be the same.

On a similar thread, AMC will be airing a show called Turn starting in April that's on the first American spy ring. Supposed to have appearances by Washington who apparently loved spying (scaring the pants off his enemies actually) and Benjamin Tallmadge. Wasn't too interested in it myself initially, but after reading an article on it, it grabbed my attention. If you watch The Walking Dead on AMC, it premieres the Sunday following the season 4 finale in the same time slot. Apparently there's little ever done concerning the American Revolutionary War and, just judging from this forum and people's comments on AC3, people find it boring. Turn is supposed to show a more interesting side to the war.

Washington was certainly an odd guy. He wasn't beyond torching Native American homes only to backpedal later and wanted to sign peace treaties with them, was considered friendly and well liked by those that knew him, and loved espionage. :confused: I thought he was bipolar, but now I'm starting to think he had split personalities.

Minor caveat: Discovered recently I'm related to Washington via a cousin of his. :p Found Thomas Jefferson, Zachary Taylor, and Robert E. Lee, too. .... And Pocahontas of all people. And Meriwether Lewis. Possible Charles Lee is floating about in there somewhere and likely Abraham Lincoln since I found a couple Lincolns from the era. Amazing what hides in the closet. Granted, only one of the bunch I'm related to by blood is Washington. The rest is via marriage ... as far as I've found. :p Too busy merging a million people to go look at various people to see their relationships. Rather finish merging and correcting relationships before I do that anyway.

If an era bores you, maybe looking into your family tree and seeing if you're related to someone famous for the time period might spark your interest some. I certainly didn't expect to run into who I found. Think Davy Crockett's in my family tree, too, now that I think about it. :p Might also make you more aware of what's around you. For the longest time, I thought I was primarily British-Irish-Scottish. Then I find a branch of my family's actually from Germany and from France before that. Could've sworn I was related to a Native American by blood, but looking at the tree recently, I found nothing on that. Then again, many east coast Native Americans of the 1700s era actually had British names due to intermarrying with the colonists for 200 years so possible there are some that I'm unaware of. Large part of my family lived in Virginia and Kentucky from the 1600s onward so I'd be surprised if there wasn't any Native American blood somewhere.

I also found quite a few relatives who died in various battles during events like the 100 Years War, WWI, WWII, the American Revolutionary War, and the American Civil War. Certainly sparked more of my interest into looking at the 1700s and 1800s. Find it rather funny when I run into people who lived in Essex county, Massachusetts which is supposedly where Davenport is. Also find it funny when I run into various sailors who would've sailed during the time frame for AC3. Found one who died on board the HMS York in 1777 apparently.

True_Assassin92
01-15-2014, 08:24 PM
I'd suggest to watch the show "Vikings". It's pretty good and season 2 is up in february!

DinoSteve1
01-15-2014, 08:27 PM
love Vikings wish they had more episodes a season.