PDA

View Full Version : Cult of Personality

Kynlore
01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm wondering how people are playing the opening riff.

Initially I had my index finger on the 3rd fret of the E and ring finger on the 5th fret of the A(if I'm remembering the numbers right), then I would move my index to the 2nd fret of the D. Now that I have leveled it up more, it has thrown an additional note in E right before the the A that seems to make the way I was playing impossible.

I thought I about leaving the index on the D, the middle on the E, and the pinky on the A. That position is a little hard to get back to after the power chords. I might just need more practice with it.

So my question is, how are you playing it?

fjonk78
01-14-2014, 02:43 PM
I play bass, but I believe the riff is the same. Here's the fingering I'm using.

Index finger 3rd fret E string, middle finger 3rd fret D string, pinky 5th fret A string, middle finger 3rd fret E and index on 2th fret D. I don't use my ring finger for the main riff at all (until it gets to the tricky bit).

extendedsolo
01-14-2014, 03:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxr2zINiH3c

That video he plays it in a way I wouldn't think to play it, and from your description it sounds like the way you are struggling with. I would play it the way he does since it's only going to make you better even if it is tougher.

Kynlore
01-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks for that video! That's how I'm trying to play it. I'll watch the video in more detail tonight and really see what he is doing. He starts it off nice and slow.

Oldmanjoe505
01-15-2014, 12:15 AM
I'm wondering how people are playing the opening riff.

Initially I had my index finger on the 3rd fret of the E and ring finger on the 5th fret of the A(if I'm remembering the numbers right), then I would move my index to the 2nd fret of the D. Now that I have leveled it up more, it has thrown an additional note in E right before the the A that seems to make the way I was playing impossible.

I thought I about leaving the index on the D, the middle on the E, and the pinky on the A. That position is a little hard to get back to after the power chords. I might just need more practice with it.

So my question is, how are you playing it?
Take my post with a grain of salt, as I'm not sure I have this fully. But if I recall correctly, the notes are all on frets 2-5, which is covered with 4 fingers, and that is how I do it. If for no other reason, I'd rather not move my hand if I don't have to. Eventually, I'll drift off the position and I'll be missing all the notes, so I try and keep in one spot if possible.

TheJohnNewton
01-15-2014, 02:24 AM
I play it like Vernon does. The problem is, I'm no Vernon Reid.

Kynlore
01-15-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm not either. That's why I was thinking I must have been doing something wrong. I guess I'll just have to get better than I am.

flynlion
01-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Cool video, thanks for sharing :cool:

steel_string
01-17-2014, 03:09 AM
I think that's how my guitar teacher taught it to me, but it's been years. I'd say just keep at it.