PDA

View Full Version : Kenway Saga for the next AC? What do you think

acbrother17
01-13-2014, 11:25 PM
So do you think Ubisoft will continue with the Kenway Saga for the next game? Or are you
"**** that, give us China!" type of person.

LoyalACFan
01-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Or are you "**** that, give us China!" type of person.

No need to get confrontational, since basically ALL the clues from Freedom Cry point in that direction. Shao Jun's box + random firecrackers + dragon blunderbuss all seem to suggest China. Could be red herrings since they're a bit obvious, but we were promised a clue in Freedom Cry and nobody's come up with anything better.

I'd only be interested in more Kenway stuff if it was Connor in the NW Indian War or him and Adewale's grandson in the Haitian Revolution. I'm pretty much done with the Kenways, they had a good run but it's time for it to end. If AC4 was the last of their saga I'd be cool with that, but if there's a Connor sequel it HAS to be the last Kenway game.

Jigga_Kenway
01-13-2014, 11:33 PM
I don't know what else they could really do.. I would like a full game with Haytham as the playable character, maybe even DLC, I just want more of Haytham haha.

LoyalACFan
01-13-2014, 11:36 PM
I don't know what else they could really do.. I would like a full game with Haytham as the playable character, maybe even DLC, I just want more of Haytham haha.

We know his whole life story though. From like ten years old through his death, it's all covered in the Forsaken novel.

Would be cool to see a few Haytham memories in a Connor sequel if we get one though (like the Altair stuff in ACR) to fill in the gaps of stuff that wasn't mentioned in AC3.

acbrother17
01-13-2014, 11:38 PM
No need to get confrontational, since basically ALL the clues from Freedom Cry point in that direction. Shao Jun's box + random firecrackers + dragon blunderbuss all seem to suggest China. Could be red herrings since they're a bit obvious, but we were promised a clue in Freedom Cry and nobody's come up with anything better.

I'd only be interested in more Kenway stuff if it was Connor in the NW Indian War or him and Adewale's grandson in the Haitian Revolution. I'm pretty much done with the Kenways, they had a good run but it's time for it to end. If AC4 was the last of their saga I'd be cool with that, but if there's a Connor sequel it HAS to be the last Kenway game.
I agree with u with the connor sequal if they continue kenway, and i did hear about the hints in freedom cry, i was wondering why they included fireworks. But honestly it doesnt matter me much, as long the setting looks awesome, there is a bada$$ character with a bada$$ outfit, cool weapons and killing animation, and new interesting features.

adventurewomen
01-13-2014, 11:38 PM
I'd only like the Kenway Saga to continue if we get a Connor sequel.. :D

A DLC of Haytham's life as the book Forsaken detailed, but it would be nice to see his events in a DLC.

Fatal-Feit
01-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Yep! Unless it's a full-on Connor sequel, I'm all for China.

This robe has to be in it! :mad:
http://i42.tinypic.com/35ko42d.jpg

silvermercy
01-14-2014, 12:08 AM
It's Connor or the Vikings for me. (Random I know. :p). But seeing we just had naval... I'll go with Connor. lol

acbrother17
01-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Yep! Unless it's a full-on Connor sequel, I'm all for China.

This robe has to be in it! :mad:
http://i42.tinypic.com/35ko42d.jpg

Hell Yeah! That right there. I love the person that did does concept art or fan art.

adventurewomen
01-14-2014, 12:20 AM
I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon and say China for the next Location, all I'm saying is just keep an open mind for AC5. ;)

LoyalACFan
01-14-2014, 12:25 AM
It's Connor or the Vikings for me. (Random I know. :p). But seeing we just had naval... I'll go with Connor. lol

Connor would actually be more likely than the Vikings to continue the naval gameplay TBH. He still has the Aquila. Vikings didn't have cannons, so as cool as it would be to navigate a Viking longship, it wouldn't be very entertaining gameplay-wise. It would basically be like AC4's naval gameplay except slower and lacking combat.

adventurewomen
01-14-2014, 12:29 AM
Connor would actually be more likely than the Vikings to continue the naval gameplay TBH. He still has the Aquila. Vikings didn't have cannons, so as cool as it would be to navigate a Viking longship, it wouldn't be very entertaining gameplay-wise. It would basically be like AC4's naval gameplay except slower and lacking combat.
Agreed..

I wonder though.. In that time a few years after AC3 did he upgrade or make changes to the Aquila? These type of questions we'll never know unless we see a Connor sequel! :(

Fatal-Feit
01-14-2014, 12:41 AM
I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon and say China for the next Location, all I'm saying is just keep an open mind for AC5. ;)

Ahhh Christ. It's stuff like this that makes me believe 99% that AC:V will take place in China... ...And now I'm really certain it IS in China.

I-Like-Pie45
01-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Watch the next AC game be in Korea

Trololololol to Chinapan hopers

LoyalACFan
01-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Agreed..

I wonder though.. In that time a few years after AC3 did he upgrade or make changes to the Aquila? These type of questions we'll never know unless we see a Connor sequel! :(

Headcanon says he met Adewale's grandson, who inherited the Jackdaw's figurehead from the Experto Crede and then gave it to Connor. But functionally, the Aquila was pretty tricked-out by the end of AC3 wasn't it? Upgraded hull, cannons, etc.

adventurewomen
01-14-2014, 12:44 AM
Ahhh Christ. It's stuff like this that makes me believe 99% that AC:V will take place in China... ...And now I'm really certain it IS in China.
Well we'll just have to wait and see what happens for AC5..;)

Keeping an open mind just avoids you feeling in a certain way if AC5 isn't in China - in general. ;)

LoyalACFan
01-14-2014, 12:46 AM
Keeping an open mind just avoids you feeling in a certain way if AC5 isn't in China - in general. ;)

Yeah, even though I want China, I'd be cool with pretty much anything other than a non-Connor 1700s game.

adventurewomen
01-14-2014, 12:49 AM
Headcanon says he met Adewale's grandson, who inherited the Jackdaw's figurehead from the Experto Crede and then gave it to Connor. But functionally, the Aquila was pretty tricked-out by the end of AC3 wasn't it? Upgraded hull, cannons, etc.
That would be awesome, and a great way to link AC4 to a future if there was ever a Connor sequel!

I agree the Aquila was ticked out, it became a powerful ship by the end of AC3. I prefer the Aquila more than the Jackdaw.

Yeah, even though I want China, I'd be cool with pretty much anything other than a non-Connor 1700s game.
Agreed! :)

I-Like-Pie45
01-14-2014, 12:52 AM
I don't want a Connor sequel yet

My fanfic will be in a rather awkward place unless the game is an adaptation of it

killzab
01-14-2014, 12:55 AM

So no French Revolution ?

LoyalACFan
01-14-2014, 01:07 AM

Not just yet. I'd like to see that eventually, but at the moment I'm really itching to go back in history. I'm getting a bit weary of gunplay, in particular. I guess we could theoretically have a gun in 1500s China since Altair had one long before that, but they certainly wouldn't be as pervasive as they are in AC3 and AC4.

If it involved Connor, however, I would probably be persuaded to look past my lack of enthusiasm for the time period. Though, if it really was a French Revolution game, I don't think it should be Connor exclusively; a Native American in bourgeois France would feel a little forced. However, if it contained a new French protagonist, elements of the Quasi-War between the US and France, and a long enough story to do it all justice, I think it could be magnificent. Perhaps it could be the "true" next-gen game they promised for 2014, taking advantage of the new consoles to give us a truly massive game.

ze_topazio
01-14-2014, 01:17 AM
Joseph Kenway, Edward's cousin.

silvermercy
01-14-2014, 01:30 AM
Joseph Kenway, Edward's cousin.
First or second cousin though? It's important.

ze_topazio
01-14-2014, 01:39 AM
First, that one married with Teresa Auditore Kenway, Ezio's great grand (insert many grands) grand daughter.

Landruner
01-14-2014, 04:50 AM

Je ne veux pas dire de betises but....Apparently they will be two ACs for end 2014 and the beginning 2015 - So, in my opinion (One is going to be AC5 and the other one is going to be a spin off) - We know that AC liberation is coming in Fev 2014 for Arcade, AC5 will come probably for November 2014 and the spin off in 2015 as Liberation. So perhaps the spin off will be Connor and the French Revolution?

STDlyMcStudpants
01-14-2014, 04:52 AM
I'm gonna cry if its china...The entire Asian culture as a whole stopped being interesting to me after i turned 9 lol
#BoreFest

LoyalACFan
01-14-2014, 05:18 AM
I'm gonna cry if its china...The entire Asian culture as a whole stopped being interesting to me after i turned 9 lol
#BoreFest

This is the most blatantly ignorant and racist thing I've heard in a while.

I'm glad you think more than half the world's population is a "hashtag borefest..."

SixKeys
01-14-2014, 05:31 AM
#BoreFest

The entire Asian culture? So...

Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Bhutan
Brunei
Burma (Myanmar)
Cambodia
China
Georgia
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Israel
Japan
Jordan
Kazakhstan
North Korea
South Korea
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Lebanon
Malaysia
Maldives
Mongolia
Myanmar
Nepal
Oman
Pakistan
Philippines
Qatar
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Syria
Taiwan
Tajikistan
Thailand
Turkey
Turkmenistan
United Arab Emirates
Uzbekistan
Vietnam

Okay then!

pacmanate
01-14-2014, 05:43 AM
In my eyes the Saga is done.

AC3 = Connor and Haytham
Forsaken = Connor and Haytham mainly with a bit of side Edward
AC4 = Edward

Saga means story, not "A load of games featuring those protagonists".

MeMckee
01-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Kenway saga? Only if it's Haytham and Haytham alone....

Why the hate for China? It has such a rich history and culture. Tombs underneath and around Shaolin temple FTW. Or is that too mainstream?

Sabuto78
01-14-2014, 06:58 AM
T kenwahey saga continues for one last game. Itll be a Connor game since hes the "Legacy of Edward" would have been epic for them to show the steps haythem went through to fnding the truth about Edwards death and how reginald died, but they wont. It could work like Revelations style but Revelations was a sucky game lul. imo anyways. Ezio still better than them all anyway. **** it.

DinoSteve1
01-14-2014, 07:49 AM
Enough with the Kenways its time to move on, I'd rather stick a rusty Knife in my eye then sit and play another game the the wooden Conor as the protagonist.

RinoTheBouncer
01-14-2014, 08:43 AM
Itís Sumerian Civilization or Ancient Egypt for me.

FreeKnowledge
01-14-2014, 11:14 AM
I like the idea of China a lot of important innovations have happened in their history that contributed to moving the world forward. Mystery and legends is what I'm looking for China has more than enuff of that.wonder about what new toys will get to play with.I miss some off the old school prince of Persia game play I think China will cure that.

TexasToast712
01-14-2014, 04:40 PM
I would be down for a Connor sequel. Other than that I would just rather we move on to another family line completely.

TexasToast712
01-14-2014, 04:42 PM
It’s Sumerian Civilization or Ancient Egypt for me. I believe they will never do a game that far back in time. They would have to get rid of or outright retcon several of our gadgets that have become staples in the games. Take dual hidden blades for example. Getting rid of or retconning someone or something always pisses off the player base.

Hans684
01-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Something always pisses off the player base.

Indeed, pople can't go one day without it being something wrong.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-14-2014, 06:47 PM
This is the most blatantly ignorant and racist thing I've heard in a while.

I'm glad you think more than half the world's population is a "hashtag borefest..."

Racist? Did I say #ChineseAreInferriorToAllOtherRaces ?
No I called their culture boring....
Racist gets incorrectly thrown around too much..
It's bland and boring...
China and anime stopped being cool in 2002 lol

acbrother17
01-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Indeed, people need to stop playing this racist card. Everyone is racist in some way. WASSA MATTA with you!?

Also the thing about removing our gadgets, they can always replace it with other gadgets. for insistence if they do China, they can bring back the bow and arrow, and they are other projectile gadgets that can be introduce in the franchise. Like shooting daggers from the wrist, also i would like to see gadgets from prince of persia like the chain or metal wip, or you know what, introduce a sick upgrade system for the weapons, like u start with a rope dart and through upgrading it becomes a chain whip that have the same functionality as the rope dart but can also be use for fighting like swinging and slashing. So in basic it would be like the recent Tomb Raider game weapon upgrade. And should allow us to downgrade the weapon if u want.

DaveIroneagle
01-14-2014, 07:19 PM
I say they should take it to Japan and have the Assassin be a ninja.

Hans684
01-14-2014, 07:21 PM
No the Kenway Saga(AC3, ACF & ACIVBF) is over. AC3(Connor & Haymitch), AC Fosaken(Haymitch & Edward) & ACIVBF(Edward), that is the Kenway Saga.

adventurewomen
01-14-2014, 07:38 PM
^ Forsaken is just a book though, I really wish it was a game. You mean Haytham* ;)

pacmanate
01-14-2014, 07:44 PM
Its HAYTHAM.

Where the hell do people get Haymich from?! SERIOUSLY. WHERE DID IT COME FROM?!

acbrother17
01-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Its HAYTHAM.

From a little kid during questions line up at a panel. Can't remember which event it was from though.

Hans684
01-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Its HAYTHAM.

I know and it came from a kid at Comic Con/Pax Panel for ACIVBF.

^ Forsaken is just a book though, I really wish it was a game. You mean Haytham* ;)

The book is part of the Kenway Saga and i know hes name is Haytham.

killzab
01-14-2014, 09:55 PM

I don't wanna see Edward die though. But it'd be awesome if they did a "closure" game like they did with Revelations. Allowing us to end the story of all 3 Kenway protagonists.

lothario-da-be
01-14-2014, 09:57 PM
If we get one current and one next gen game this year, i hope for a Kenway game for ps3 and ac5 for ps4.

acbrother17
01-14-2014, 10:05 PM
If we get one current and one next gen game this year, i hope for a Kenway game for ps3 and ac5 for ps4.
Even though that might be cool, i wouldnt want that. Cause i wont be able to play the next gen game.

lothario-da-be
01-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Even though that might be cool, i wouldnt want that. Cause i wont be able to play the next gen game.
Same problem for me, I don't think i will have a ps4 when it releases.

acbrother17
01-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Same problem for me, I don't think i will have a ps4 when it releases.
me neither. i think this year they should do the same they did with AC4, a game for both current and next gen, then have the next gen only for 2015, so if they are working on it now, make them have enough time to make the game great and a true next gen assassins creed

aL_____eX
01-14-2014, 10:34 PM
@OP: **** that, give us China!

Someone mentioned these artworks in another thread before. Just amazing work...
http://godsofart.com/assassins-creed-ancient-china

lothario-da-be
01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
me neither. i think this year they should do the same they did with AC4, a game for both current and next gen, then have the next gen only for 2015, so if they are working on it now, make them have enough time to make the game great and a true next gen assassins creed
That would mean the ps4 version is going to be dumped down because of the ps3 limitations. Nah would hate that.

FreeKnowledge
01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Idk know about you but I'd love to play out that scene in the book where haytham finds his friend.standing out side the monastery afters he saved him from that horrible place.setting fire to the place and waiting for those evil priests to run out and killing them for chopping his friends hooha off.

acbrother17
01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
That would mean the ps4 version is going to be dumped down because of the ps3 limitations. Nah would hate that.
maybe. but thats just my thought on it.

aL_____eX
01-14-2014, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately that's the only thing why two games would make sense next year. I own both, PS3 and PS4, and one game would mean that it still has to be built for working on current gen consoles and so the next gen possibilities won't be included, or only in parts. Next gen has so much to offer, I hope we will see some of it in the next game already!

STDlyMcStudpants
01-14-2014, 11:43 PM
I am interested to see how they are going to do current and past gen split...
Maybe We will get a Kenway game (Assassins Creed:Genesis) and Next Gen get AC 5

acbrother17
01-15-2014, 12:18 AM
We will just have to all see in march when they debut it. all im waiting for is more information and videos on Watch Dogs

Megas_Doux
01-15-2014, 01:30 AM
As much as I like Connor, I rather see him on a short film, wanna go to other eras and places on future games.

adventurewomen
01-15-2014, 01:40 AM
As much as I like Connor, I rather see him on a short film, wanna go to other eras and places....
A short film for Connor wouldn't give Connor's character the justice he deserves.

inferno33222
01-15-2014, 01:55 AM
I hope that they give us either Connor in the French Revolution or Haytham in London. Preferably both while they work on putting out a top-notch next-gen game for 2016. :D

dbzk1999
01-15-2014, 03:42 AM
It's bland and boring...
Hope ur joking about that anime

STDlyMcStudpants
01-15-2014, 03:48 AM
Sorry after Majin Buu it became lame haha

ze_topazio
01-15-2014, 04:09 AM
What you're saying doesn't even begin to make sense, that's not racism indeed, it's just ignorance and absurdity.

SixKeys
01-15-2014, 04:28 AM
It's bland and boring...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

dbzk1999
01-15-2014, 04:34 AM
Sorry after Majin Buu it became lame haha

Wasn't even talking bout that smart one

LoyalACFan
01-15-2014, 05:06 AM
It's bland and boring...

You're absolutely right, "racist" gets thrown around way too much incorrectly.

This isn't one of those times.

First, you don't have to literally say "Asians Suck" to be racist. By calling them "boring," yeah, you're basically suggesting that the "Asian" culture is inferior to others.

Second, it's unbelievably racist to lump the entire continent of Asia into one supposed culture. If you pulled a Pakistani and a South Korean off the streets of their respective nations, I daresay they wouldn't identify themselves as being part of the same "culture".

Third, I hope to Christ you're joking with that anime comment. Because herp derp, everybody knows Asia produces nothing except Japanese animation and cartoon porn...

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2014, 06:44 AM

As of that awful excuse of an Anime, SAO, it's safe to say Anime this generation is dead.

EDIT:I'm so off-topic...

STDlyMcStudpants
01-15-2014, 08:24 AM
You're absolutely right, "racist" gets thrown around way too much incorrectly.

This isn't one of those times.

First, you don't have to literally say "Asians Suck" to be racist. By calling them "boring," yeah, you're basically suggesting that the "Asian" culture is inferior to others.

Second, it's unbelievably racist to lump the entire continent of Asia into one supposed culture. If you pulled a Pakistani and a South Korean off the streets of their respective nations, I daresay they wouldn't identify themselves asbeing part of the
Third, I hope to Christ you're joking with that anime comment. Because he derp, everybodynows Asia produces nothing except Japanese animation and cartoon porn...

So I can start calling people racist for thinking assassins creed 3s cities were boring? Becauce "herp derp" (whataare you 12?)
Asian culture is boring...
My opinion and the opinion of all super cool people everywhere
deal with it. 8)
#DoesntKnowTheDifferenceBetweenRaceAndCulture
#Culturist

STDlyMcStudpants
01-15-2014, 08:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
Sorry I'm not into elf porn #Racist

FreeKnowledge
01-15-2014, 08:42 AM
How is this thread not closed yet with all this hate running a mock.how is this constructive anymore, where are the forum mods now.

LoyalACFan
01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
So I can start calling people racist for thinking assassins creed 3s cities were boring? Becauce "herp derp" (whataare you 12?)
deal with it. 8)
#Culturist

There's an unbelievable amount of stupid in this post, I'm not even sure I can argue with it. By the way, thanks for chopping up my comment and deleting parts in your quote, that was real nice of you.

Ignored.

TexasToast712
01-15-2014, 09:38 AM
As of that awful excuse of an Anime, SAO, it's safe to say Anime this generation is dead.

I like SAO........What is so bad about it?

poptartz20
01-15-2014, 10:14 AM
A short film for Connor wouldn't give Connor's character the justice he deserves.

while this is true... it would be better than nothing. :(

DinoSteve1
01-15-2014, 10:38 AM

You say the funniest things sometimes adventurewoman.

littlethewicked
01-15-2014, 10:40 AM
im all for the china setting , but i would rather see what edward did when he was done with the pirate stuff like when he went on to be an actual assassin, it kinda left you hangin in the end video of 4, and i hope its not the adwele story i really didnt like the freeing slaves and all that junk its assains creed not roots dont get me wrong it was cool n all but it got really old really fast , i just hope they do go with either the china or the second part to edwards story, or even haythems whole story, the china setting is a good one but at least actually finish the story like they did for 2 with ezio

adventurewomen
01-15-2014, 11:40 AM
while this is true... it would be better than nothing. :(
You're right it would be better than nothing, we don't even know what happens to Connor after AC3 & TOKW - I just want some closure there's his story to be told. :(

You say the funniest things sometimes adventurewoman.
What's funny? I'm missing the humour, maybe it's your Irish humour that I'm missing.

We all have our own favourite Assassin, what's funny about that?

dbzk1999
01-15-2014, 11:44 AM

We'll maybe u should find something called Attack on Titan

FreeKnowledge
01-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Or air gear,ranma 1/2,patlabor,gundam 083,voltron,transformers, mazenger Z,space dandy,death note,dominion tank police,so on and so on ,fist of the north star!

ze_topazio
01-15-2014, 05:07 PM
deal with it. 8)
#Culturist

The problem is how you compared it to some random fashion trend.

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2014, 05:07 PM
I like SAO........What is so bad about it?

You mean that overrated piece of trash? Even Twilight makes SAO's romance look like complete garbage. Here's a list of everything wrong with SAO.

*Characters: Because of the way that the source material is structured, our hero and heroine are poorly constructed. Starting with Kirito, as far as the anime is concerned, he's a bland protagonist and a Gary Sue. Let me elaborate. Starting off, Kirito doesn't exactly freak out like everyone else when confronted with the news that he could potentially die for real in this game. He just gets motivated. He gets strong. He beats people by standing them into submission. He beats the system. We never really dwell on what how he feels about being trapped in a death game-- the most we hear about it is him actually being okay, not even realizing that his real body is withering away into bones while he inconveniences his family. I don't really KNOW who Kirito even IS-- personality? Not there. We're not really given a sense of character-- that's how I truly felt watching Kirito through the entirety of the series. He's a mega-gamer. He has a sister WHO'S NOT REALLY HIS SISTER (wink-wink). His parents died in a car accident. That's it. Why isn't he squicked out that his cousin that he treats like a sister has the hots for him? *shrug* In the second episode, he literally goes from scared to smug at the drop of a hat for no reason, and it doesn't even seem like an act. In total from the Aincrad arc, he gained four haremettes. In the verboten arc, he gains two... at the drop of a hat-- and let's not even mention his cousin. Not now, anyways.

Asuna? She showed promise of becoming a capable and empowered character... and then immediately turns into a mild tsundere who knows how to cook, look cute, and pretend to play mommy. Asuna doesn't seem to be much of what she's hyped up to be after episode 2, probably because she's SUPPOSED to pale in front of the "Almighty Kirito-sama". In fact, that's seems to be the modus operandi for all women who happen to be caught in Kirito's womanizing aura that renders them useless while he's around. The only person who ever came close to being useful while still being around him was Silica... and she killed a monster by herself... compared to Kirito's 9001 kill count. It was impressive for me because she actually DID something as opposed to just falling for our invincible hero. Back to Asuna, she gets demoted to Princess Peach for the entirety of the verboten arc.

The clinch about SAO is that they can make you THINK that these characters are developed... but they really aren't. The seiyuus just do good voice acting, and the dialogue is just good rhetoric when needed. Well, until the verboten arc. Even before that, though, you can tell that the dialogue is kinda pretentious during the Yui arc onward. And at the end of the day, are these guys really affected by their brushes with death? We don't see much of that past the first three episodes. They seem just fine and don't take into consideration their grieving families or their emaciating bodies. These are things that should be shown instead of just implied, and SAO doesn't do much of that. Even if it's just a couple of cases, the best that we come to the downward spiral of societal adaptation (that is, the failure thereof) is Kuradeel, and they miss their opportunity to show failure of societal acclimation by making Kuradeel a caricatured opponent of Kirito and Asuna's botched romance (we'll get to that later). On that topic, though, they at least SUCCEED in showing the gradual acclimation of most other players, even if it is only one way.

Story: First arc? We're given a promising set up-- kids, teenagers, and adults, all trapped in a death game, with the promise of an epic story with meaningful sacrifice as well as the insight into what would happen in such a society. We get all of that... for the first three episodes. Then it goes into moe-blob territory for an episode, character-I-somehow-like-more-than-Asuna-territory for one episode, romance for a couple episodes, CSI for one episode, and then goes Kirito-sama-centric for a bunch of episodes before taking the romance aspect off the field for a bunch of episodes and then returning to the plot for an anticlimatic ending that's left still unexplained. To its credit, it shows how people acclimated to such a society. But it doesn't spend much time on that in favor of Kirito and Asuna's "relationship". Speaking of which...

Kirito and Asuna's relationship is... well, dull. Very, actually. Ever read "Scott Pilgrim"? I think you should-- the main couple is actually interesting. They have fights, they walk out on each other because they need time to think, they make mistakes. A LOT OF MISTAKES. In the end, their relationship has been proved through their experiences, step by step, and we see that, and we see how much they care for each other. Kirito and Asuna can literally do no wrong to each other except... dying. There's no major CONFLICT in their relationship-- lack of conflict with character interaction is a key point in Mary Sues and Gary Stus. There's no fight, no sleeping on the couch, no walking out on each other, no mistakes in the relationship, no nothing but confession of undying love and... secks. And being psuedo-parents. Can't forget that barrage of pretentiousness. And speaking of which, we can't forget about those couple of episodes that involved them prancing around a lake and and forgetting that they're in a death game, with no hint of that being at the back of their minds. Again-- wasted potential. If the people participating in the relationship are bland and perfect, though, it's to be expected that their relationship will be equally bland and perfect, and that's not something that I like watching. That's not something a lot of people like watching, actually, because even if it IS cute, that's something that anybody could make-- that's something *I* could make. I'm writing a story myself, and I'm TRYING not to make a relationship like that. And we can't forget the pointless love triangle in the verboten arc. We can't forget the fact that Suguha never thinks "Hey, isn't having the hots for someone who, for all intents and purposes is a sibling, wrong? I think someone had something to say about that... was his name Wastermarck? Westermarck?" We can't forget the pretentious "I NEED TO BURY MY FEELINGS!!!11!!!" that doesn't WORK because they're practically related but COULD work if they WEREN'T-- why were they related, again? Did Kirito feel anything for hos top-heavy cousin? OF COURSE HE DIDN'T, HE'S DEVOTED TO ASUNA. God, his devotion to Asuna is like the devotion of every prophet in every Abrahamic religion to God all rolled into one; it's like he doesn't even remotely fancy any other girl that he sees, physically or otherwise.

Second arc story? Kirito is literally a god-mode sue; you could say that he worked for it, though. Doesn't justify his ****ing around when he is LITERALLY ON A TIME LIMIT TO SAVE ASUNA FROM A CARICATURED CHARACTER-- what is he even DOING worrying himself about inconsequential game politics? What are any of these people doing worrying about inconsequential gaming politics? Don't they have lives? We have pretentious philosophy like "The person that you see online is the real them", because (hah) there's NO SUCH THING AS ONLINE PREDATORS! And ALO is even reviled if not just disowned by fans because it doesn't carry the weight of the first arc. If you die in ALO, you don't actually die. Isn't that just downgrading? Now I have less of a reason to care if these characters die, but they sure don't think so, because they still act like this is SRS BSNS. Even the death penalty is never expounded upon, and that's pretty much it as far as omitted details from the source goes. And we can't forget episode 24, where Kirito pulls the mother of all arse pulls and performs the most dissatisfying of all final battles, topping the arse pull of Arc 1 while paling as a final fight. Finally, Asuna is Princess Peach-- her whole character is disrespected. She's trapped in a cage and essentially is a prize for our invincible hero.

Also, tentacles. (By the way, that's the point where I seriously doubted this series. We go from tame fanservice... to tentacles.)[/QUOTE]

Well, let's TL;DR this essay:

1)Poorly constructed characters
2)Substance-less romance (due to poorly constructed characters, which warrants lack of conflict, which is what all good romances are made out of)
3)Lack of sense of character (Kirito-exclusive)
4)(one-time)Out-of-Character moment
5)Lack of deconstruction of the situation past first few episodes (how's the protagonist feeling? How are the citizens feeling? They may be immersed in this experience, but surely there are people who failed to adapt, right?)
6)Evolution to a Kirito and Asuna-centric plot
7)Pointless haremettes
8)Lack of insight into PROTAGONIST'S psychology-- possibly a lack of dynamic psychology, period (oh, my practically sister has the hots for me. Mkay.)
9)Ridiculous OP'ness of protagonist without balance either in other abilities or psychology
10)Wasted potential
11)Wasted potential
12)Wasted potential
13)Lack of respect to characterization to females to show off Kirito the Invincible
14)Disrespect to Asuna's character
15)Overuse of rhetoric to compensate for lack of characterization
16)Caricatured villains
17)Lack of proper priority setting (how about you try to clear this death game instead of prancing along a lake? You can do that when you're done here.)
18)The big bad of the first arc not really having a purpose in imprisoning 10,000 players to their death ("1. Make cool game; 2. Trap Players 3. ??? 4. Players Trapped!")
19)Deus ex Machina of Arc 1
20)Suguha and her lack of shame for her feelings towards Kirito
21)Suguha and her constant shafting of Recon
22)Suguha and her whining about repressing her feels for Kirito (see #18)
23)Unsubtle fanservice (Arc 2)
24)Lack of proper priority setting (Hey. You LITERALLY HAVE A TIME LIMIT TO SAVE ASUNA FROM THAT CARICATURED VILLAIN. STOP D*CKING AROUND WITH INCONSEQUENTIAL GAME POLITICS) (Arc 2)
25)Unwarranted seriousness (Arc 2)
26)Doing away with legitimate reasons for seriousness (Arc 2)
27)Unrealistically godly devotion to Asuna
28)Kirito's field of influence that turns independent girls into dependent girls that overly rely on him
29)Pointless love triangle
29)Arc 2 in general
30)Tentacles
31)Tentacles
32)Tentacles
33)FREAKING TENTACLES, OH GOD WHY?!

...I hope this answers your question, and I hope I didn't miss anything.

*shuffles off*

Now that that's clear, I mentioned that Kirito wasn't a developed character. He lacks a dynamic psychology, and possibly lacks a psychology, period. In the anime, whether or not they're aware of this, they make Kirito and others act more developed than they actually are. Kirito and Asuna's relationship is definitely not something to write home about, and definitely not something that suffices as a "good" relationship (refer to the main couple in the "Scott Pilgrim" graphic novel series for an example of a good relationhip; rundown given in quasi-essay), given that the characters themselves don't have enough substance to actually have an engaging romance. But the first time watching that, you'll almost white knight their relationship because of how cute and sweet it is. You may almost cry along with them when Yui starts disappearing because they made you think that there was enough bonding between them because they act like it. When they call for drama, they usually act believably dramatically, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure of the substance behind their words. Probably because it isn't there to begin with-- that would make sense given that the main character lacks a dynamic psychology.

I laugh. I'm laughing so hard. Can't you tell?

Seriously, though, and fans have said "The LN is better". No it's not. Let me take volume 1 at face value-- side stories are addenda to compensate for a horribly done job of medias res. The anime organizes those side stories along with the anime in a way that makes it seem like a consistent story, character failure notwithstanding. This is volume 1 as it pertains to his relationship with Asuna:

Episode 1-->Cue Kirito finding the Ragout Rabbit

THE AUTHOR SKIPPED TWO YEARS ALL AT ONCE. So really, side stories a...side (snicker), Kirito literally meets Asuna (who is described as a idol in the game straight away) and they just sort of click. Better telling of relationship my arse.

And frankly, I'd take anime!Kirito over LN!Kirito any day, only because "bland" is more tolerable than "*****".

I know it's an Assassin's Creed thread, but ****ing hell, I used to like Anime until this piece of ****. & you asked. It's all my friends and family talk about! ...Okay, I've calmed.

ze_topazio
01-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Anime in general has seen better days but it has not changed that much, for every good show there's a lot of bad ones, you just need to look carefully.

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Anime in general has seen better days but it has not changed that much, for every good show there's a lot of bad ones, you just need to look carefully.

I give AoT a thumbs up, but the Anime started dropping the gore and blood in favor of over-dramatizing scenes, fan-service, and making everyone into freaking flying ninjas. Not that I'm not enjoying it but Anime has severely changed over the years. We won't be getting any masterpieces like Cowboy Bebop, I assure you that.

Everything is all catered to emotional teenagers and as of SAO, the *apparently* god of Anime, we will be seeing a lot more ****ing fan-service & Gary sue > story. I thought Ezio was heading that route in Brotherhood but I was wrong, and I'm happy I was. Still didn't enjoy him as much though.

EDIT:I'm becoming pretentious right now. I apologize guys.

ze_topazio
01-15-2014, 05:26 PM
SAO is a random anime and i don't think anyone on his right mind would call it god of anything, seriously, it was not that popular, even K-ON clones disappeared after a while, SAO didn't and won't change the industry.

Fatal-Feit
01-15-2014, 05:34 PM
SAO is a random anime and i don't think anyone on his right mind would call it god of anything, seriously, it was not that popular, even K-ON clones disappeared after a while, SAO didn't and won't change the industry.

Have you seen any VR related videos? SAO fanboys are crazy on those! You know, the Ocolus Rift. There's not a single video that haven't been bombarded dozens of ''SAO!'' comments.

Oh! And you know those popular MMOs. The ones that aren't owned by Blizzard. I can name several that have a ''SAO'' crossover. My favorite MMO was ruined by people making 20 billion ''Kirito-kun'' avatars.

SAO have severely changed the Eastern Industry, I guranteed you this. If the latest MMO or VMMORPG-Anime in Korea or Japan is nothing like SAO, there are rants. And lots of it.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
There's an unbelievable amount of stupid in this post, I'm not even sure I can argue with it. By the way, thanks for chopping up my comment and deleting parts in your quote, that was real nice of you.

Ignored.
Awe you think my comments are stupid...
You must be racist because I'm American...
Grow up ;)

I-Like-Pie45
01-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Clearly, the only relevant modern anime are Hellsing Ultimate and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn

DinoSteve1
01-16-2014, 03:46 AM
Best anime ever made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uunNfRsSBE

you suck if you don't know what it is.

FreeKnowledge
01-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Gintama is the man!

ze_topazio
01-16-2014, 02:06 PM
Gintama > whatever you like