PDA

View Full Version : Unexplained loss of performance

USAF-CAP
01-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Hello, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any thread that specifically addressed the issue I am having right now.

Last night, I updated my AMD drivers to the latest 13.12 version of CCC. I am running with an HD7990. AC4 had been running pretty well before, but after the update I was very pleased with the results. The game was perfectly smooth with absolutely no stutters, and I was able to bump up the AA to MSAA x4 without any noticeable loss in performance.

This afternoon, I fired the game back up, and for some reason I am experiencing very low fps even in the main menu. I have only loaded up a save game once, but it is the same story in game as well. As soon as the "Press Any Key" screen appears, my frame rates drop noticeably, making the selection of menu items difficult. I lowered my resolution and all graphics settings, but even on low settings the lag is persistent.

So far the only trouble shooting I have done is to check my CPU temperature. I played Far Cry 3 on max settings, and the temps are stable around the mid 50's, so it doesn't appear to be a problem with my cooling. My overclock has also been stable for the last year, so I don't think that is the issue either. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver as well to no avail. GPU temps are in the mid 70 degree range, although I did not monitor them for very long due to time constraints.

Any suggestions?

Some quick specs:
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core i7 950 OC to 4.01 GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
RADEON HD7990
The game is installed on an SSD

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 01:35 AM
You could try cleaning the driver with driver sweeper and then try installing the previous driver to see if FPS increases ?

USAF-CAP
01-14-2014, 02:04 AM
Yes, I should have mentioned I did try rolling back to the previous version with no change. Since all of my other games seem to be running well still, I'm going to uninstall it and let steam reinstall it overnight to see if that magically resolves the issue. If that doesn't work, then I'll REALLY get frustrated! Thanks for the input.

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 02:10 AM
I assume you've done a full virus scan and malware check... plus (not sure if it would affect it but ) have you still got lots of space on your SSD drive. I noticed a photo editing software started to slow badly when my drive started get full (possibly due to the size of scratch disk allocated on the drive :confused:)

USAF-CAP
01-14-2014, 02:40 AM
The last virus scan was run yesterday with Comodo and didn't turn anything up. As for the space, there are about 37GB left on the hard drive. I have been looking at all the deals newegg keeps having on SSDs, but do you think that 37GB is getting tight? I'll post the results of reinstalling tomorrow.

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 02:53 AM
no I got to less than 10GB before I had any problems... probably 5 to 6 GB so 37 GB is plenty :D

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 02:54 AM
Also malware antimalwarebytes is excellent and has sorted out problems for me many times. Definitely worth downloading it's a great free program.

Frag_Maniac
01-14-2014, 09:16 AM
My overclock has also been stable for the last year, so I don't think that is the issue either.

After Far Cry 3 chewed up and spit out a lot of people's thought to be stable OCs, I wouldn't be too sure of that. You don't know until you try playing it without any OC. Ubi haven't exactly been known for stable coding lately, in their games or the usual Uplay problems.

USAF-CAP
01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Reinstalling it didn't do anything. Strigoi, I'll try that program to search for malware. Frag, good idea. I'll go back to factory settings on my mobo and see if that changes anything.

Frag_Maniac
01-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Frag, good idea. I'll go back to factory settings on my mobo and see if that changes anything.

I would do that, then try doing the same with the GPU if you've OCed it. Sometimes certain games are a better OC stress test than the most demanding synthetic benches. If "better" means so unoptimized you have to tip toe through your setings. :rolleyes:

Voyager456
01-14-2014, 08:44 PM
I would do that, then try doing the same with the GPU if you've OCed it. Sometimes certain games are a better OC stress test than the most demanding synthetic benches. If "better" means so unoptimized you have to tip toe through your setings. :rolleyes:

I would also recomend this ac4 is very oc sensitive i had to lower my overclock for 30 mhz on core just to get it stable for ac4.

USAF-CAP
01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Good news and bad news. The bad news is, reverting to default clock didn't fix it. I went ahead and reloaded my overclock profile. As a last ditch effort, I went back into the game and messed with my graphics settings again. I swear that the first 3 times I messed around with my AA settings, nothing happened. But this time, I discovered that it just doesn't seem to like 4x MSAA. I didn't bother checking any of the other AA settings, because I didn't want to break it again!

I'm not sure why this fixed it now rather than before. Maybe it was a combination of reinstalling drivers and everything else I tried. At least this overnight ordeal got me to scan for malware and viruses and optimize my airflow to keep my CPU cooler. Thanks for all the help! I'm sorry if anyone else was monitoring this thread hoping for a better answer.

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 10:03 PM
Just glad you've set sail again :D