PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia PhysX runs so bad!

cappincrunk
01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Hey Ubi,

I know a lot of people are having a lot of performance issues with the PhysX implementation. I personally have a really powerful computer with a 6-core i7, 2x GTX Titans in SLI and even a GTX 650ti for a dedicated PhysX processor. As the game stands right now the scenes with the PhysX smoke cripple the framerate to the low 30fps, regardless on how powerful the system.

Tried different combinations of SLI, non-SLI, PhysX on the Dedicated Card and also disabling the Dedicated Card, all results are basically identical.

Myself and a lot of others on the Nvidia forum believe this game needs a patch, or a collaborative patch from the game side and the driver side of things.

Thank you very much for all the work so far, I hope this issue is fixes so we can enjoy those really awesome features.

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 12:37 AM
I think this is an Nvidia driver problem.... on the geforce driver forum for a long time I have suggested diversifying the drivers. I think it must be difficult to explore the capabilities of high end cards and multi card setups running multiple monitors at 144 Hz etc... whilst making the driver still compatible with a 10 year old card. If each driver were split (for example) into 3 with a standard driver, a mid range driver and an extreme driver.... then the driver devs would have the restraints taken off and push the extreme driver (not only to the limit, but also ) to maximise all available hardware, speed and effects capabilities.

Nvidia at present are trying to make all card makers conform with stock speeds and prevent sales of overclocking... I believe to make it easier to make drivers even more stable/ compatible and maybe to sell higher spec cards. At present some O/C 670 come close or may even beat a stock 680 (someone will add some figures I'm sure) for a cheaper price and I'm sure Nvidia would pefer us to pay more for speed rather than boost it on the cheap ( can't blame them ;) ) .

I think an extreme driver focused on higher end cards would also achieve sales of more expensive cards due to desirability and the enhanced abilities.

Black_Widow9
01-14-2014, 05:45 AM
Hey Ubi,

I know a lot of people are having a lot of performance issues with the PhysX implementation. I personally have a really powerful computer with a 6-core i7, 2x GTX Titans in SLI and even a GTX 650ti for a dedicated PhysX processor. As the game stands right now the scenes with the PhysX smoke cripple the framerate to the low 30fps, regardless on how powerful the system.

Tried different combinations of SLI, non-SLI, PhysX on the Dedicated Card and also disabling the Dedicated Card, all results are basically identical.

Myself and a lot of others on the Nvidia forum believe this game needs a patch, or a collaborative patch from the game side and the driver side of things.

Thank you very much for all the work so far, I hope this issue is fixes so we can enjoy those really awesome features.
Hello and welcome to the Forums :D
Have you tried contacting Support at all? I would suggest doing that with the details of your hardware and the specifics.
Ubisoft Support Website (http://support.ubi.com/)

Voyager456
01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
There is no point contacting support tons of people are having same problem its not our hardwer its poor implementation
there is alerady couple of threads on geforce forums with tons of people complaining i asked like a 10 of friends on my uplay list with nvidia cards
they all have same problem there needs to be a patch either from ubisoft or driver update from nvidia

Calrid
01-14-2014, 03:23 PM
GT560Xi here and having no problems when maxed out on graphics, is this a driver issue because new ones come out atm almost every week? It could be a processor rather than GPU issue too. If you are in heavy battle scenes the overspill form the Graphics card or GPU in the case of notebooks etc will dump it on the processor, which then causes overheating issues. As someone mentioned on a nother thread laptop is not euqal to desktop even if you have the same GPU as the cards on the desktop version. You will not be able to have the same performance on a laptop as on a desk top, even if it is the all singing dancing crap of the world 2000 version. A desktop worth 1000 will outperform most laptops in graphics intensive games, even if you have an I7 six core with 860Gticx if that even exists. It's best to play these sorts of games on desktops, if not lower your graphics settings and play without the high settings for a while until your lap top cools down. :)

I also recommend the optimisation settings on the Geforce update service if you have it, it will alert you to new versions of drivers that are optimal to each game you own individually and save a lot of hassle.

The Geforce optimisation menu will also alow you to tick a box which will set the game up so that it runs as best as it can. This means in my case it turns a lot of stuff off, but I just turn it back on again and seem to have no issues, although some of the features may not be supported it is still on higher spec than the optimisation they suggest. Make sure you have at least 2.18... there is a newer one bundled with the driver too. I am using 332.21.

I hgihly recommend the Geforce experience, and no I don't work for Nvidia, it just takes the hassle out of updating and actively tweaks your game as you play. :)

http://www.geforce.co.uk/geforce-experience

Before I had it I had a mare with the graphics card causing weird pixelations on screen so I could only see some odd tessellation at times. Now I have no issues. It works, nuff said. :P

Of course lets face it windows just expects graphics driver companies to keep up so it may be that too, I remember the fiasco with Vista on many games that would just cause death to the graphics cards. :S

I am on windows 7 by the way, for context.

Quad core i7 desktop 2.55Ghz and 12 gig of ram and as said GTix560.

Voyager456
01-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Maxed out on 650ti and physx on LOL could you show me your fps when looking at smoke

Calrid
01-14-2014, 03:43 PM
I would if knew how this is on ACIV btw.

The Gtix is overclocked and generally performs equal to higher priced graphics cards around a year or so ago incidentally. Since I upgraded my drivers and use the thing I was on about I don't seem to have any lag issues. That said if you explain how I Can check my frame rate I can try and see that.

I am a bit of a tech numpty I am afraid. :S

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 10:24 PM
my 670 is a mixture of high mid low and off but runs the physx ok... but on high it is far too much smoke (even if it is more realistic :D) I've posted a couple of vids on here somewhere.

I think there is definitely a driver problem when mid range cards can get a reasonably high set of setting when others with quad titans cannot. It seems to me that the driver that enables my single card to work well.... is holding back 680/780's right up to titans and multi card setups. Why encourage people to pay a lot of money for an addition card to focus on physx and then have a driver that doesn't take full advantage of it.
Mind you I'm not sure if having game settings in game AND in the nvidia control panel might cause some conflicts... I have seen posts where some advise turning v-sync off in one but on in the other :confused:

Gold31415
02-13-2014, 03:30 AM
Some of the posters in this thread are bogus IMO.

The internet is full of users with everything from 670TOP to Titans saying AC4 is a slideshow when physx is set to normal or high.

Ubisoft has not worked hard enough imo.

strigoi1958
02-13-2014, 03:58 AM
If you mean me ? check out my profile and if you're still unsure pm me and I'll send you some personal info or skype... I've put a few videos on this forum in places showing different things including physx particles... I have no idea why it runs well on my system but poorly on others with better cards but with pc's having so many variables compared to consoles it's hardly surprising. Nvidia bring out around 26 drivers in beta or whql per year... roughly one every 2 weeks.... some parts are removed, some are left and some are over writen during an install so (as I found out myself) it can cause problems. I've used registry cleaners that cause problems, I've followed optimize my pc tips and speed up boot tips that have caused problems.... at present my usb 3 copies slower than my usb 2 but I have no idea what I've done... I've found bitminers, malware, viruses and windows updates to all cause problems so we're pretty much individuals without even allowing for components...
I also noticed you said on another thread that these people disappear... I've been here a while and maybe you will be... or not. stick around we're just gamers trying to help each other.
You seem to have a lot of wrath... you should try to get that down to zero

YazX_
02-13-2014, 01:54 PM
I have no idea why it runs well on my system but poorly on others with better cards

whats the resolution you are playing on?

FPS drop has been fixed in latest Nvidia beta drivers 334.67, but im still having massive stuttering when Physx is set to Normal/High, maybe they will completely fix it in the next WHQL. playing on GTX 770 SLI @ 2560 x 1440 resolution.

strigoi1958
02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi Yaz I'm running at 1920 x 1080 and I'm sure it will improve as the drivers make better use of the superior cards....

The other guy has just appeared and sounds a lot like someone who was here before.

Voyager456
02-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi Yaz I'm running at 1920 x 1080 and I'm sure it will improve as the drivers make better use of the superior cards....

The other guy has just appeared and sounds a lot like someone who was here before.

Could you tell me what exact settings are you using for physx and everything else i would like to compare it
to my results with my gtx 760 we should be getting identical fps if not than that will be weird

Alphacos007
02-13-2014, 06:21 PM
I can't really use Physx particles maxed out as well, as I get < 20FPS when those are on. It runs pretty good on medium though, and my PC is almost the same as yours.

strigoi1958
02-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Could you tell me what exact settings are you using for physx and everything else i would like to compare it
to my results with my gtx 760 we should be getting identical fps if not than that will be weird

Hi voyager

this shows my settings (I posted this picture before to show someone where the physx option is found) but I run physx on low usually to keep the smoke to a smaller amount. I think the 760 may be a little better than a 670 but I have got the factory O/C palit jetstream so maybe that helps...

http://i41.tinypic.com/j6pd0y.jpg

and here's a video I uploaded http://youtu.be/XNa2a5YnEI4

oh and v-sync is turned off in the game but on in the nvidia control panel... hope that helps

YazX_
02-13-2014, 09:49 PM
well here are my settings, avg FPS is like 55, min FPS 39, Max FPS is 60 as the game is locked down to 60 and i dont know why! , anyway, Godrays is set to low because setting it to medium or high will cause terrible stuttering but it doesnt affect FPS. Now, if Physx set to normal or high, again with the stuttering and it will affect FPS but not as bad as previous Nvidia Drivers.

http://s26.postimg.org/la1zyd8ax/Assassin_s_Creed_IV_Black_Flag_2014_2_13_23_0_7.jp g

Gold31415
02-14-2014, 02:41 AM
Why do you guys only have physx as off, low and high?

Update to 1.6 and the options are off, low, normal and high.

Normal doesnt run too bad on a 680.

Voyager456
02-14-2014, 02:59 AM
Yeah same here physx above low creates stuttering i play with same settings as yaz-h at 1080p expext regular shadow on very high not soft volumetric fog on not sure why did he disable it,and god ray high fps is 30-60 it can deep below 30 when rain starts falling,also havana seems to be running best but the areas like cat island with ton of foliage
is mostly 30-37.Also getting 55-60 fps everywhere is literaly imposible for me everything turned off texture and enviroment q. to medium and still dips below 55 i realy dont get it
cryisis 3 runs 60-70 fps on high with 2xsmaa and on ultra im averaging 40-45 fps yet ac4 on ultra without aa 20-25 fps i know its 2 diffrent engines but core usage in c3 is 60-70% on all cores while in ac4 single core is choking while others are barely doing anyting i can post scshots with cpu usage if anybody dosnt belive me though i think its obvious to everyone how cpu limited this game is.

YazX_
02-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Why do you guys only have physx as off, low and high?
Update to 1.6 and the options are off, low, normal and high.
Normal doesnt run too bad on a 680.

because of horrible stuttering if set other than low, im talking about GTX 770 SLI here. maybe on single card its fine as in your case.

Yeah same here physx above low creates stuttering i play with same settings as yaz-h at 1080p expext regular shadow on very high not soft volumetric fog on not sure why did he disable it

because of horrible stuttering when its set to on, i narrowed down all options that cause stuttering to:

1. Physx is set to Normal/High, and also causes 10 FPS drop, before latest Nvidia driver, FPS used to dip to 20s.
2. Volumetric fog.
3. GodRays if set higher than low.

maxing out GodRays and enabling Volumetric fog will cause very minor FPS hit but the stuttering is ridiculous.

Voyager456
02-15-2014, 12:52 AM
because of horrible stuttering if set other than low, im talking about GTX 770 SLI here. maybe on single card its fine as in your case.

because of horrible stuttering when its set to on, i narrowed down all options that cause stuttering to:

1. Physx is set to Normal/High, and also causes 10 FPS drop, before latest Nvidia driver, FPS used to dip to 20s.
2. Volumetric fog.

maxing out GodRays and enabling Volumetric fog will cause very minor FPS hit but the stuttering is ridiculous.

Thats weird i have no isues with fog or god rays did you try running it on one card if that solves the problem than its obviously something related to sli
also i see you have i7 you could try disabling hyperthreading sometimes it can cause issues in games.

Gold31415
02-15-2014, 04:07 PM

2. Volumetric fog.

You are saying the latest 334 nvidia driver is better for physx?

Also why are all the screenshots here phsx off, low, high....

Mine says off, low, normal, high.

YazX_
02-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Thats weird i have no isues with fog or god rays did you try running it on one card if that solves the problem than its obviously something related to sli also i see you have i7 you could try disabling hyperthreading sometimes it can cause issues in games.

it is an SLI issue as on one single card there is no stuttering, but this should be fixed by Nvidia and i doubt that they will fix it anytime soon, so lets wait and for next beta or WHQL driver and test.

Regarding CPU, no need to disable HT, CPU is already OCed to 4.5 GHz so there is no bottleneck from hardware but from the game there is, and with or without HT, the game will utilize a total of 2 cores, in best cases 2 and half core, the only thing different with HT is threads are distributed among 6 cores utilizing 15% per each instead of 3 cores, first core is occupied with main game thread and its always 90%, ill post another screenshot showing in-game CPU utilization.

You are saying the latest 334 nvidia driver is better for physx?

Also why are all the screenshots here phsx off, low, high....

Mine says off, low, normal, high.

yes latest driver is better, and according to screenshots, where did you see that there is no Normal option? anyway, it depends on game's version as Ubisoft added "Normal" setting to Physx option in patch 1.05, so anyone posted a screenshot before that he will not have "Normal" setting.

Toothless Spoon
02-16-2014, 01:49 AM
I'll chime in here and say I'm getting terrible performance on 2x titans as well. I run at a res of 5760x1080 and I noticed that the game isn't even using all of my gpu's - about 70% for both.

I had to turn the particle effects off, because they were the issue, but after the latest patch, my performance is even worse - I should be killing this game with my rig. I don't know who is to blame, but you need to talk to Nvidia if they are, cause it's making your game unplayable - which means you lose when it comes to buying any new games.

YazX_
02-16-2014, 01:43 PM
I'll chime in here and say I'm getting terrible performance on 2x titans as well. I run at a res of 5760x1080 and I noticed that the game isn't even using all of my gpu's - about 70% for both.

what driver version are you using? and are you using custom resolution in Nvidia control panel? if so, then delete and recreate the resolution, i have this issue whenever i install a new driver, i enable SLI first then recreate custom resolution.

and if you have V-Sync set to on, either you disable it or use D3DOverrider, anyway with all of these tweaks it wont run past low without drops and stuttering especially with SLI.

Gold31415
02-19-2014, 10:51 PM
what driver version are you using? and are you using custom resolution in Nvidia control panel? if so, then delete and recreate the resolution, i have this issue whenever i install a new driver, i enable SLI first then recreate custom resolution.

and if you have V-Sync set to on, either you disable it or use D3DOverrider, anyway with all of these tweaks it wont run past low without drops and stuttering especially with SLI.

D3doverrider is so weird, everyone can get it working but me.

I tried a number of standalone D3doverrider .rar's (excluding rivatuner).

I never get the beep when launching a game. And I think it is not activating.

Ps: I run a completely clean Win 7 64 taskmanager when gaming, and I do NOT have logitech or AV running.

My Windows sounds are always set to no sound though, but the pc audio output is obviously fine.

Pps: I never did have the 30fps cap problem in the first place though, the game always ran at whatever fps the card (680) could manage, 44, 59, 33, depending on location (vsync off obviously)

Any tips on the D3doverrider no beep issue?

YazX_
02-20-2014, 12:36 AM
D3doverrider is so weird, everyone can get it working but me.

I tried a number of standalone D3doverrider .rar's (excluding rivatuner).
Any tips on the D3doverrider no beep issue?

Well, here is D3DOverrider checklist, you might missed one of these:

1. Did you add AC4BFSP.exe to Applications' list?
2. Did you set the Application Detection Level to High ?
3. Have you forced Triple Buffering And V-Sync?

i cant think of anything else as its pretty straight forward application.

Gold31415
03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Well, here is D3DOverrider checklist, you might missed one of these:

1. Did you add AC4BFSP.exe to Applications' list?
2. Did you set the Application Detection Level to High ?
3. Have you forced Triple Buffering And V-Sync?

i cant think of anything else as its pretty straight forward application.

I can confirm the standalone d3doverrider (no installer) works perfectly. I just had deleted the windows sounds folder to slim down my win install.

I can also confirm that d3doverrider is the single most underrated thing (to me atleast) other than overclocking your gpu.

I had no idea.

And I'm geeky enough to notice (and reject) fps drops of 1fps when using something like adaptive vsync over no vsync. So I had always used no vsyn up till now.

But d3doverrider is like magic. It gives exactly the fps you'd get with vsync off but it doesn't tear.

In a game like Ghostbusters its usage is night and day. Also in ac games.. I have no idea why i didnt use it before.... Plus there is a standalone version so there is no install.

Everybody should know about d3doverrider.