PDA

View Full Version : Worries about future "Open World" Ubisoft's games

guidomista
01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Hi,
I love Assassin's Creed series and I would like to buy Watch Dogs, but...

I'm a little worried about the "Open World" systems Ubisoft want to implement in their new projects.
I'm talking about incoming games, like Watch Dogs or The Division.
Ubisoft declared many times they want to make games very interconnected with the net.
There are players that are strongly against merging singleplayer modes with net features.
I'm not one of thoose. I think it could be very fun. And i see it like the future of gameplaying.
But there are a lot of report about net features issues in Ubisoft games. I'm not going to report again here. I think every player has experienced them sometimes.
There were a number of bugs in Black Flag singleplayer. But they are minor, in my opinion. The real problems are related with Social Events, Uplay, Community Challenges, Multiplayer, Servers...

And here's my worry:
How can they manage "Open World" games, when they can't even manage thoose things?

I didn't see any thread about this argument.
With no intention to polemize, I would like to know what other players think about this and if there is anyone that share my same worries.

bye

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 01:48 AM
I only play campaigns as I want to see progress and constantly changing objectives.... I understand multiplayer gaming is huge but it seems to me (IMHO) to be running round the same scrap of land repeating the same thing with the same objectives killing the same people, dying and respawning..... I'm sure there is more but it has no appeal to me.... however, I do like the AC initiates and the speed up a friend in kenways fleet for fire barrels and the shared social events. If we could join another player with both (or more) ships attacking rich well guarded convoys, THEN I'd want to play online. At present the achievements include some multiplayer which I skip. But Social events, community challenges and Uplay are all great for me.
My only concern is... will the drivers be able to utilize the GFX cards sufficiently

Frag_Maniac
01-14-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm one of those whom strongly disagrees with adding forced net features to sp campaigns to get certain things, be it completion, achievements, challenges, whatever. I say keep sp sp and mp mp.

IMO it's Ubi's cheap attempt to advertise the game and get people to ask their friends to buy it just to engage in this silly social networking crap. Ubisoft is turning into Facebooksoft with this garbage.

I hope it becomes a failed trend like their Always On DRM. This might even be worse if the reasons for it are as I suspect.

Tahiri_Auditore
01-14-2014, 07:11 PM
I think I agree with Frag_Maniac on this. I don't really care for all the social networking in my single player games.

But that's probably just me being an old fuddy duddy :p

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 10:09 PM
I don't mind as long as I'm not forced to interact by voice or typing to anyone.... I don't like interrupting my gaming with anything else

guidomista
01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
I don't mind as long as I'm not forced to interact by voice or typing to anyone.... I don't like interrupting my gaming with anything else

Well, talking is not typing! With voice you don't interrupt the game. And playing a game with other players online, doesn't mean necessarily you have to talk or chat.
It could be very fun, if the game has a good gameplay ...and if it works without server issues!

bye

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 11:18 PM
I'm not a social person.... I work in a hospital with 4500 people and I doubt if any more than 4 would get an acknowledgement from me outside work. I like things separate. I do not talk with my wife or children when I game and so I see no reason to talk to others. I prefer forum interaction for my "conversations"... and my gaming to be extremely focused on gaming. As stated I don't mind social events because I have no real interaction with other players except items appearing on each others maps and speeding up the fleets... but I neither talk or type to them.
Any game that says MMO is instantly crossed off my list :D
As long as there is no communication I'm happy.

guidomista
01-15-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't like social-facebook-like stuff in games. I'm not talking about socializing.
I'm just comparing NPC's AI(non-player character's Artificial intelligence) with human intelligence.
I think a game with players insted of NPC could have more longevity and possibilities than a traditional one.

Like "The Division" could be...
...with adequate infrastructures!
That's exactly what I'm worried about.

bye