PDA

View Full Version : What If AC Wasn't So Focused on Assassinating...

STDlyMcStudpants
01-12-2014, 11:26 PM
It's in the title, so strange to ask such a question, but I ask you why you like AC..
Is it because of its combat and pressing square at the end of a sequence or is it the lead? the story? the world? the history?
What if the series was more like Assassins Creed 3 but brought down to on over the shoulder experience.
What if it became more focused on story and character development than mission design...
If instead of climb buildings and trees to point b it were more about interacting with the world and its people? Kind of like the side missions in Assassins Creed 3, but much less combat...
Less constant ease dropping and tailing, and more breathing in the world around you (like the frontier)
A much slower paced Assassins Creed game instead of an action packed AC
Where you go into massive battles and had a target once every 3 sequences.
AC3 and 4 had great story potential but it felt numb..
IMO the only thing this series lacks is a fleshed story that makes us care about our world and the people in it.

SixKeys
01-12-2014, 11:53 PM
If AC became everything you described, I would never bother with it ever again.

The only thing I can agree on is slow-paced vs. action-based. AC1 and, to an extent, AC2 were more slow-paced than the other games.

HiddenKiller612
01-13-2014, 12:30 AM
No thanks.

roostersrule2
01-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Riiiiiiiiiiight

Shahkulu101
01-13-2014, 01:01 AM
Amancio? Hutchinson? Is that you?

IWGCJoeCool
01-13-2014, 01:47 AM
If AC became everything you described, I would never bother with it ever again.

The only thing I can agree on is slow-paced vs. action-based. AC1 and, to an extent, AC2 were more slow-paced than the other games.

that's cuz if you did it all a little at a time, all those unmapped flags, unmapped feathers, hiding Templars, and ten thousand treasure chests, it just seemed to fill out the games...especially huge Venice in ACII. i hate flags, i hate feathers!!!...and i'd be happy with 10 strategically placed "treasure chests" that were part of the navigation in main missions. pay me for assassinations, that's my job ma'am.

if i were to change the direction of this franchise...well, i wouldnt...it's called Assassins Creed, and there needs to be truth in advertising. i only hope that for each new version, the Devs and Producers start at AC1, and make a fresh evolution...not an evolution of the evolution.

itsamea-mario
01-13-2014, 04:04 AM
AC isn't so focused on the assassinating anymore, it should be, but it isn't.

And no, it's not just pressing square or X, it's the planning, the assessing the situation and looking for the best path to take, it's trying to get to the target as cleanly as possible, and then trying to get away. And those are elements that really aren't there anymore.
Sure there needs to be a story, there needs to be a reason you're killing people, having other types of missions is good, but the assassinations should not be forgotten.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-13-2014, 04:33 AM

And no, it's not just pressing square or X, it's the planning, the assessing the situation and looking for the best path to take, it's trying to get to the target as cleanly as possible, and then trying to get away. And those are elements that really aren't there anymore.
Sure there needs to be a story, there needs to be a reason you're killing people, having other types of missions is good, but the assassinations should not be forgotten.

Not forgotten..just not as frequent...
AC1 you had to gather info..what if they brought that back but with a more fleshed out way that wasnt rinse and repeat?
Where you had to interact with the people in the city to make the world and actual story feel more alive..rather than "Here they are..go get em"
When you dont really feel the fire in your stomach...
Such as God of War..you care about Kratos and you hate the Greek Gods just as much as he does...I want to feel the protagonists emotion
I want a smile on my face when I put my blade through the flesh of my target.

SixKeys
01-13-2014, 05:01 AM
Such as God of War..you care about Kratos and you hate the Greek Gods just as much as he does...I want to feel the protagonists emotion
I want a smile on my face when I put my blade through the flesh of my target.

Why? That's not why the assassins do what they do. The assassin is supposed to kill only out of necessity, not because he/she gets enjoyment out of it. Uncle Mario's whole point about "requiescat in pace" was about showing respect and mercy for your enemy even if you disagree with their actions.

itsamea-mario
01-13-2014, 05:41 AM
^

Not every target should be some dastardly cartoon villain, there should be some level of moral ambiguity, some guilt on your part. One Rafiq said to altair that he should hold on to his feelings of remorse, that he shouldn't enjoy killing.

Fatal-Feit
01-13-2014, 06:53 AM
The Kenway Saga had a difficult time struggling with what it was. An action adventure, or a stealth game? Honestly, I prefer action adventure over stealth, due to the possibility of a much greater story like in the past few games.

DinoSteve1
01-13-2014, 07:19 AM
What would be the point of calling it Assassin's Creed if one of the main focuses isn't assassination?

TheDanteEX
01-13-2014, 07:34 AM
It all depends on what you like. When you think about it, AC1's content was nothing but assassinating. That was what the whole game was based around. Now I enjoy that, but I know people that wouldn't. There's no specific way the series should be. Just what it was, is, and becomes. It's all still Assassin's Creed.

poptartz20
01-13-2014, 07:38 AM
it sounds more like heavy rain-ish. Lol. but really, I don't see this working well for the series. Granted they can take some of the micheal bay-isms out of the picture but other than that.. ehhh. I'm not sure.

shobhit7777777
01-13-2014, 08:46 AM
What if I take a croquet mallet to your knees? :confused:

poptartz20
01-13-2014, 09:42 AM
What if I take a croquet mallet to your knees? :confused:

Ouch!? really dramatic much? lol!

RinoTheBouncer
01-13-2014, 11:26 AM
I actually liked AC for having a present day portion in it. A mixture of historical+modern+first civ. was the main reason why this franchise appeal to me. Sadly, in these days, the franchise is heading towards a cheaper version of itís former self. All in favor of increasing quantity over quality.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-13-2014, 08:46 PM
What would be the point of calling it Assassin's Creed if one of the main focuses isn't assassination?
you missed the possessive.... the game is Assassin's Creed... its about the CREED not assassinating
Im a story guy :(
I dont want the next game to be like ACIV where its just following a target then sneaking and killing him....wasnt enjoyable to me :(

dbzk1999
01-13-2014, 08:50 PM
you missed the possessive.... the game is Assassin's Creed... its about the CREED not assassinating

I that was the case it would be "The Creed" but it's ASSASSINS creed there will be assassinating in one way or other
To quote Shaun, "We're assassins which means we assassinate people"

Hans684
01-13-2014, 09:43 PM
I that was the case it would be "The Creed" but it's ASSASSINS creed there will be assassinating in one way or other
To quote Shaun, "We're assassins which means we assassinate people"

In that case it would be "Assassins", the assassin have a creed. It's not one or another but both.

LoyalACFan
01-13-2014, 10:45 PM

Came here to post something basically like this. AC is NOT about assassinations anymore, and that's bad. I think the slow-paced, breathing-in-the-world type of game OP is talking about is more like AC1 and 2, and NOTHING like 3. Certain people seem to have this memory of AC3 being a serene, story-based game about interacting with the lives of residents of the era, but that couldn't be further from the truth. You could explore the world tranquilly on your own, sure, but all of the structured content was about running and fighting and blowing stuff up. If it's just the world you want to explore, they might as well just release the game as an empty map with no structured content at all.

I have no interest in what OP is describing.

dbzk1999
01-13-2014, 11:40 PM
In that case it would be "Assassins", the assassin have a creed. It's not one or another but both.

That's pretty much what I just said

Fatal-Feit
01-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Im a story guy :(
I dont want the next game to be like ACIV where its just following a target then sneaking and killing him....wasnt enjoyable to me :(

I thought it was quite balanced and enjoyable. You had your occasional action-packed moments that's weren't so overpowering like in AC:3. Then there's the sandbox where you were allowed to plan your kill, which had a satisfactory to it. The story elements were still there and it could have been just as powerful. It's just that the developers didn't take full advantage of what they had like in AC:3.

SixKeys
01-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Came here to post something basically like this. AC is NOT about assassinations anymore, and that's bad. I think the slow-paced, breathing-in-the-world type of game OP is talking about is more like AC1 and 2, and NOTHING like 3. Certain people seem to have this memory of AC3 being a serene, story-based game about interacting with the lives of residents of the era, but that couldn't be further from the truth. You could explore the world tranquilly on your own, sure, but all of the structured content was about running and fighting and blowing stuff up. If it's just the world you want to explore, they might as well just release the game as an empty map with no structured content at all.

I have no interest in what OP is describing.

^^ This.

IWGCJoeCool
01-15-2014, 01:36 AM
maybe the answer we're looking for is to make it ALL about assassinations...

submit for the repliers' here approval:

first, there has been no protaganist between Altair and Edward that werent somehow emotionally driven. Altair was an Assassin, by training and upbringing. the first sequence spells that out pretty clearly...he was on a job. his arrogance cost him and he was busted down. his Mentor was telling him things, but more manipulating him, and more and more as the story unfolded.

but, let's start there. Assassin by training or heritage. i'm called in by the local Den leader and given an assignment. "we have reports that ??? from the city of ??? has become a Templar agent". "go there, and investigate." "if the reports are valid, eliminate him" "remember to follow all Creed guidelines."

so i go to ???, and start looking around. all i know his maybe what ??? does for a living(that's maybe my only clue to start). so i must enter the city of ??? and start walking around. i need to maybe pickup and read newspapers(or whatever), or look at posters/signs. i need to get to know the city..it's rooftops and back alleys, it's hiding places. i need to listen to the conversations of people, listening for the name ???. i need to look for suspicious activity that would seem to be Templars doing whatever Templars do.

so, it starts out being a little L.A. Noirish and procedural.

little by little i learn what i came to learn, draw my conclusion(assassinate him, natch, cuz that's the game).

then, i must plan the job, casing the place he will be known to be at whatever time. not only do i want a clean kill at the right time, i need two or three possible exit strategies.

then comes the Stealth, and quiet stalking, until the time is just right.

now, all of the above can feature the traditional stuff...Viewpoints for starters to unlock knowledge of the location, and landmarks of importance. Listening/Eavesdropping/Tailing. a little good ol' fashion detective work.

throw in some Pigeon Coops too. "while you are in the city of ???, there may be some "other business" to take care of." some of it could reveal parts of what you need, others might not. or, if maybe the game senses you are not getting it, a Pigeon Coop could offer you a clue to get back on track. (more L.A. Noire)

now, if the guys wanted some backstory...this Assassin could be a younger man, and maybe this is his first assignment...good spot for the tutorials, right?

ok, all of this stuff has been done, but it could be done better, and with much less handholding. and it would give us plenty of time for exploration. throw in some on-the-fly interludes where maybe our guy sees someone in distress. this too, could be someone that has info, or not...the chance you take for being a good samaritan. either way, do it with some eye to Stealth and the Creed, to avoid becoming notorious...and i dont mean for 5 minutes, i mean for the whole time he is there.

so anyway, in a nutshell...a pro Assassin, on a job, but he has to do it right. mess up, and maybe the info you need or people to bribe/interrogate/befriend might be lost, and he will have to start fresh in another part of town.

STDlyMcStudpants
01-15-2014, 02:58 AM
maybe the answer we're looking for is to make it ALL about assassinations...

submit for the repliers' here approval:

first, there has been no protaganist between Altair and Edward that werent somehow emotionally driven. Altair was an Assassin, by training and upbringing. the first sequence spells that out pretty clearly...he was on a job. his arrogance cost him and he was busted down. his Mentor was telling him things, but more manipulating him, and more and more as the story unfolded.

but, let's start there. Assassin by training or heritage. i'm called in by the local Den leader and given an assignment. "we have reports that ??? from the city of ??? has become a Templar agent". "go there, and investigate." "if the reports are valid, eliminate him" "remember to follow all Creed guidelines."

so i go to ???, and start looking around. all i know his maybe what ??? does for a living(that's maybe my only clue to start). so i must enter the city of ??? and start walking around. i need to maybe pickup and read newspapers(or whatever), or look at posters/signs. i need to get to know the city..it's rooftops and back alleys, it's hiding places. i need to listen to the conversations of people, listening for the name ???. i need to look for suspicious activity that would seem to be Templars doing whatever Templars do.

so, it starts out being a little L.A. Noirish and procedural.

little by little i learn what i came to learn, draw my conclusion(assassinate him, natch, cuz that's the game).

then, i must plan the job, casing the place he will be known to be at whatever time. not only do i want a clean kill at the right time, i need two or three possible exit strategies.

then comes the Stealth, and quiet stalking, until the time is just right.

now, all of the above can feature the traditional stuff...Viewpoints for starters to unlock knowledge of the location, and landmarks of importance. Listening/Eavesdropping/Tailing. a little good ol' fashion detective work.

throw in some Pigeon Coops too. "while you are in the city of ???, there may be some "other business" to take care of." some of it could reveal parts of what you need, others might not. or, if maybe the game senses you are not getting it, a Pigeon Coop could offer you a clue to get back on track. (more L.A. Noire)

now, if the guys wanted some backstory...this Assassin could be a younger man, and maybe this is his first assignment...good spot for the tutorials, right?

ok, all of this stuff has been done, but it could be done better, and with much less handholding. and it would give us plenty of time for exploration. throw in some on-the-fly interludes where maybe our guy sees someone in distress. this too, could be someone that has info, or not...the chance you take for being a good samaritan. either way, do it with some eye to Stealth and the Creed, to avoid becoming notorious...and i dont mean for 5 minutes, i mean for the whole time he is there.

so anyway, in a nutshell...a pro Assassin, on a job, but he has to do it right. mess up, and maybe the info you need or people to bribe/interrogate/befriend might be lost, and he will have to start fresh in another part of town.
Perhaps..
I will admit, my favorite part about AC IV were the templar hunts
The templar hunts were also more focused on the people of the land and interacting with the city..
These missions are kind of what i had in mind when i posted this.

HiddenKiller612
01-15-2014, 03:59 AM
What I'd like to see is a solid reason for your actions... Why does this target have to die? We know he's a Templar/ associate of Templars... but what is his part in the war? Why does this cog deserve to be removed from the machine over another one?