PDA

View Full Version : So how would you go about becoming a beta tester on AC games?

Calrid
01-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Hi I am new to this forum but have played the entire AC franchise, and I was just wondering how they chose their beta testers.

I think I know AC4 fairly well being ranked in the top 50 most feared pirate and top 120 most feared Assasin, although frankly as reasonable as I am at the game, it probably says more about how much I play it than how good I am at it. about 12 hours a day atm, am on holiday. :)

So anyway before I waffle endlessly on, how would you go about becoming a beta tester for say ACV? And is it by invite only or do you just post your interest to someone in the know at Abstergo*. :P

That's a clever in joke that some will get. pm me if you didn't. :P

Calrid
01-11-2014, 08:51 PM
hmmm 22 views and no one knows, nm then. I'll google it. :P

Mr_Shade
01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Hi,

Ubisoft uses full time trained internal / external gameplay / QA testers for the titles - there is no 'beta' as such - which would be accessible externally - sorry.

Ubisoft normally uses dedicated teams /companies located near the studios - so you would need to look for a role in one of those, or watch the careers website for ubisoft group, for internal places.

https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/careers/

Anykeyer
01-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Just buy any recent AC. You will become beta tester from the moment you launch it

SquirrelInDaSky
01-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Just buy any recent AC. You will become beta tester from the moment you launch it

Nice one

Calrid
01-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Meh they usually employ kids, not seasoned veterans, something to do with demographics, I've been playing games for 30 years and never seen an add in the paper which doesn't discriminate, well actually since the EU laws came in about age discrimination etc, I haven't seen them say that but I suspect they still do discriminate, I can't speak for all software companies but it's the same for computer programmers too, past 40 for some odd reason they seem to think you suddenly die from the neck up.. I'd give my right arm to "beta" test the AC franchise, but I don't think sadly play testers are anything more than whipper snappers. I have completed more games than most 25 year olds ever will, but meh no use complaining about things you can't change. I used to come here when it was all just fields you know. ;)

Calrid
01-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Er no offence but I have been a beta tester on games before and I think they do a biit more than rate the levels out of 5. ;)

I gave all of them at least 3 out of 5 and most 5/5 really enjoyed the story line. Some reviews are negative but that's just the usual down on everything people who expect magic and complain when they don't write the story or game the way they wanted it. Most reviews are positive, if it wasn't only January I personally would be ranking it well in with a chance for GOTY, although obviously with Skyrim's multiplayer to launch soon I wouldn't bet on it as far as Multiplayer goes. :)

the only grip about the game I can say atm is I can't do screen prints, they should add some internal code so that you can send the screenshots to your ubi account and download them like they do with Skyrim. Minor quibble though. :)

kucingminummilo
01-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Nice. I like you.

I was gonna say this to Calrid, but since he said that he already have been a beta tester before, I'd like to direct this to everyone else who's thinking of becoming a beta tester. Being a video game tester is not fun. Let me say that again. It's not fun. It's boring. You are not playing the game. You are testing the game. It's an actual work. Most form of beta testing requires you to do a specific set of action over and over again. Usually mundane stuff. They do not look for your opinion on game design, storyline or other major things. They already have a team of highly competent professionals to do that. They just hiring you for stress testing, finding hidden bugs and finding unwanted exploits. You are basically doing the labor work of producing a game for them.There's a lot of cases where first time testers going into the testing program excited, only to end up disliking the game after it has been release because the novelty has already worn off for them. So beware. If you don't mind risking spoiling your favorite game when it comes out, then beta tester is a thing for you. If you do, then consider yourself warn.

I'm not saying becoming a beta tester is a bad thing. I'm just providing warning to people who might not fully understand what they are signing up for. Every game need beta tester before it can be released. Being a beta tester can be a great experience. They say becoming video game testers is the gateway into the video game industry, if you are thinking of a career in it.

Calrid
01-14-2014, 10:19 AM
QFT^^^^

Yeah good points, you beta test for the perks, for a heads up and because you want to have some direct input into how the game turns out, albeit slight. For example it is because of me that they added Magellans expedition bonus to CIV for circumnavigating the globe, I came up with a simple piece of code to work out when you had gone around the world, and it was added to an update.

That wouldn't have happened had I not been on the forum and a beta tester.

And yeah I would love a career in it but apparently if you are over 35 you might as well not bother.

M0UTAFIS
01-14-2014, 02:47 PM

lol

luckyto
01-17-2014, 08:11 PM
This post is begging for a sarcastic crack at the MP.

Calrid
01-17-2014, 10:56 PM
Fire away me hearty, I am pretty sure the only way anyone learns is being corrected on being useless at something or at least being able to be corrected without their ego, nine million lawyers. their rules of conduct, and your mum getting in the way of common sense... Ok it's off topic but haul them down to hell. :P

I really should stop doing that pirate thing. :)