PDA

View Full Version : Location Inaccuracies?

Ferdelance10713
01-11-2014, 09:21 AM
I come from the Caribbean country of Belize, which pirates and privateers called their home because of the sanctuary provided by the second largest barrier reef in the World. Throughout the game I have noticed three distinct locations that are in relation to Belizean geography, namely the Blue Hole, Ambergris Caye and Corozal. I have done some research on the Internet and have not found any other historical locations bearing a similar name. Was Ubisoft avoiding using Belize as a pirate hangout? To be honest, from a strategic standpoint, it would be one of the best places for them to hide, and they did just that.

jdowny
01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Yeah, there were a lot of innacuracies, but I don't particularly blame them on that front - the AC worlds have never been about 1:1 accuracy - the West Indies is so vast that they had to compromise on certain locations - there are bound to be hundreds of other locations that might have suited gameplay but were cut out.

Often this is down to engine and size limitations - places such as Florida are reduced to tiny islands instead of coastlines and vast islands such as Cuba are just a fraction of their real size.

Ferdelance10713
01-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I do understand what you are saying, but I am thinking also from an expansion viewpoint. What if they decide to expand to some of those areas where they have used the names already. I love this game and because I am a history buff especially when it comes to the Caribbean, may be the reason for my original post. The majority of my family actually lives in Corozal, Belize.

ziljn
01-11-2014, 09:37 PM
I do understand what you are saying, but I am thinking also from an expansion viewpoint. What if they decide to expand to some of those areas where they have used the names already. I love this game and because I am a history buff especially when it comes to the Caribbean, may be the reason for my original post. The majority of my family actually lives in Corozal, Belize.

Belize is friggen beautiful. I would have made that my pirate hangout too.

Ferdelance10713
01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Looking at the once again, I see that Corozal and Ambergris Caye are roughly geographically accurate, even though the land mass is somewhat misshapen. The Blue Hole is not close to where it should be though.