PDA

View Full Version : How bad is the AC4 save corrupting/losing thing?

RaiCoss
01-11-2014, 07:55 AM
I've been deciding whether it's worth getting this on PC, and the large amounts of people on these forums with save issues isn't exactly inspiring lol.

Is it really that bad?

smokin_mitch
01-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Its happened to me once, but I didn't lose my save but rather a whole game session (I played for about 6hrs went from 21% to 33% progress) yet the next time I loaded up the game my save file was back on 21%

I have since turned off cloud sync within the uplay application, then loaded up black flag and deleted my save from within the game then started again from scratch

I have not had a single issue with saving since and I have completed the game 100% once (bar the social events not appearing though that's another issue entirely) and am 30% into my second play through and am just waiting for the social events to be fixed before I 100% complete the game a second time

I have the Steam digital deluxe version + season pass running on the system in my sig below

edit

I think its an awesome game (I just hope they fix the social events soon)

Uranus888
01-11-2014, 12:49 PM
As said, the issue is "Cloud Sync" and the malfunctioning of Uplay Cloud System.
If you disable this option in Uplay client and make sure you create regular backups of the files, you will have no single problems. I never and will never use Cloud and had never had one single data loss in all these years.

Theylmar
01-11-2014, 01:50 PM
As said, the issue is "Cloud Sync" and the malfunctioning of Uplay Cloud System.
If you disable this option in Uplay client and make sure you create regular backups of the files, you will have no single problems. I never and will never use Cloud and had never had one single data loss in all these years.

That is unacceptable. When buying a product, we expect to get the product FUNCTIONAL. One part of functional is that game saves in robust and reliable way so you do not have to do your own ******* backups of saves because the crap software decides to take a dump on them occasionally.

strigoi1958
01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Saving to your own hard drive is not only robust and reliable.... it is also the only method available to 99.9999999999% of games for the pc. Cloud sync is just a bonus that is having teething problems. Yes it's frustrating if you lose a save such as the 6 hours smokin_mitch lost but.... we didn't "lose" the time we played... we enjoyed it... it was just that we had to replay something we'd already done but... the advanced knowledge helped get me through quicker.
And most people replay at least twice so we're only doing what we're going to be doing again.... erm if that makes any sense ;)

Black_Widow9
01-12-2014, 04:31 AM
As others have stated, if you have Cloud Saves turned on, please disable them. We recommend that players disable this feature by going into the Uplay Settings and unchecking the box for Cloud Saves.
You can also backup your AC4 Save Games by following this Support Article:
https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ.aspx?platformid=9&brandid=22&productid=4186&faqid=kA030000000ecGmCAI

Sdwakias
01-12-2014, 09:46 AM
That is unacceptable. When buying a product, we expect to get the product FUNCTIONAL. One part of functional is that game saves in robust and reliable way so you do not have to do your own ******* backups of saves because the crap software decides to take a dump on them occasionally.

Are you sure? I will ask you this question again and you will have to answer me... Are you sure? Since when is Cloud Saving a robust and reliable way to save games? Steam offers Cloud Saving to select games, and they are not more than 5% of the games. Cloud Saving is an absolute extra, and not reliable at all. I've lost save files from Steam many times in the past. The BEST robust and reliable way to save games is only one: To backup them. If you DON'T backup them and you expect a Cloud Storage to be digitally and physically immortal, then it proves that education does not make people clever at all.

RaiCoss
01-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Are you sure? I will ask you this question again and you will have to answer me... Are you sure? Since when is Cloud Saving a robust and reliable way to save games? Steam offers Cloud Saving to select games, and they are not more than 5% of the games. Cloud Saving is an absolute extra, and not reliable at all. I've lost save files from Steam many times in the past. The BEST robust and reliable way to save games is only one: To backup them. If you DON'T backup them and you expect a Cloud Storage to be digitally and physically immortal, then it proves that education does not make people clever at all.

Are you purposely missing the point this guy made or what? If the game is sold with something that's supposed to work and doesn't, that is unacceptable. If someone takes your money and gives you a faulty product, that's wrong. Not exactly hard to understand that is it? It blows my mind how so many people just accept crap like this.

Back on topic. Do the console versions use this uplay cloud bs?

strigoi1958
01-13-2014, 03:31 AM
the cloud system is a service that exists for people who buy ubisoft games... as an alternative method of saving. It is not sold with or as any part of a game. It is an optional extra that is free. The game works perfectly so no faults there.

Tregon
01-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Saving to your own hard drive is not only robust and reliable.... it is also the only method available to 99.9999999999% of games for the pc. Cloud sync is just a bonus that is having teething problems. Yes it's frustrating if you lose a save such as the 6 hours smokin_mitch lost but.... we didn't "lose" the time we played... we enjoyed it... it was just that we had to replay something we'd already done but... the advanced knowledge helped get me through quicker.
And most people replay at least twice so we're only doing what we're going to be doing again.... erm if that makes any sense ;)

False. You had fun ONCE. In order to get to point you lost, you have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN! I lose every ******* minute I have to replay the game, which is not acceptable,
Then, after you are done, you MAY play game again. Most people actually do not play twice through. Hell, if we are to believe for example Steam statistics most people do not play many games they buy through a single time.

Tregon
01-13-2014, 08:04 AM
As others have stated, if you have Cloud Saves turned on, please disable them. We recommend that players disable this feature by going into the Uplay Settings and unchecking the box for Cloud Saves.
You can also backup your AC4 Save Games by following this Support Article:
https://support.ubi.com/en-US/FAQ.aspx?platformid=9&brandid=22&productid=4186&faqid=kA030000000ecGmCAI

If Ubi cloud is such a horrible piece of crap, why it is on BY DEFAULT?
And then, when it once more craps, you disable it completely so even the remote chance that I might download perhaps working version from clould is taken away.

Tregon
01-13-2014, 08:06 AM

Cloud system is very robus and certain, if company doing it does it's job properly. Steam has never managed to lose a single save for me, and has actually saved my games more than once.
If you present cloud save, you have to offer system which is not detrimental for the system. Specially if it is made like Ubi system so that it is on by default AND fails to present any kind of multiple point saving.

the cloud system is a service that exists for people who buy ubisoft games... as an alternative method of saving. It is not sold with or as any part of a game. It is an optional extra that is free. The game works perfectly so no faults there.

Game which corrupts saves does not work perfectly.

strigoi1958
01-14-2014, 01:31 AM
The game does not corrupt saves, the game saves perfectly to the hard drive. The cloud service is not working at present.... it has nothing to do with the game. Ubisoft are sorry but there is nothing that they can do at the moment and as it is like formatting a hard drive... everything is lost.
If this is because of a security issue I'd rather lose my saves than my account !

I've owned games with limited lives and once all lost, I had to start over from the beginning every time. Then games had set saving points which meant having to play through 30 minutes to get to a tough part only to die and have to go through the same 30 minutes again and again and again until I would have rather quit then carry on... but came back and got through.... now some people complain that (although we have infinite lives) we lose some darts that we crafted when we die.... Unfortunately some people have lost their saves and I can sympathize with that... but it's not the end of the world, we haven't discovered we're dying... we played a game and enjoyed it (if not we wouldn't complain because we wouldn't play it again). Feel free to come and rant it is healthy to vent your anger... we're all gamers and we get frustrated as well.

Penguins66
01-14-2014, 03:06 AM
I use syncs with Uplay for syncing my laptop and desktop Rocksmith info. I didn't think after my problems with Uplay 2 years ago this would still be an issue. I was wrong. They wiped out near 12 hours of play due to their screwed up syncing system. Uplay needs to be demolished. They have no business using an online service. Leave it to Steam who has proven capable. Uplay just is garbage. I will never buy another product that requires or uses Uplay.

Theylmar
01-15-2014, 11:41 AM
The game does not corrupt saves, the game saves perfectly to the hard drive.

Nope. Look at threads, people have their saves getting broken despite being offline. It is not cloud, at least fully.

Let' see. I have played successfully over several days last year. It saved just fine with cloud back then. Stopped playing around November, started again in January. After big update I have "your save is broken blah blah blah".

They f**** up. Now it is time for them to shovel up cash in some form to compensate.

The cloud service is not working at present.... it has nothing to do with the game. Ubisoft are sorry but there is nothing that they can do at the moment and as it is like formatting a hard drive... everything is lost.
If this is because of a security issue I'd rather lose my saves than my account !

BS. They have NO reason to destroy cloud saves and could make them accessible for us so we could load saves which worked. And unless they are complete idiots, their saves should have redundancy built into database process with backups.

I've owned games with limited lives and once all lost, I had to start over from the beginning every time. Then games had set saving points which meant having to play through 30 minutes to get to a tough part only to die and have to go through the same 30 minutes again and again and again until I would have rather quit then carry on... but came back and got through.... now some people complain that (although we have infinite lives) we lose some darts that we crafted when we die.... Unfortunately some people have lost their saves and I can sympathize with that... but it's not the end of the world, we haven't discovered we're dying... we played a game and enjoyed it (if not we wouldn't complain because we wouldn't play it again). Feel free to come and rant it is healthy to vent your anger... we're all gamers and we get frustrated as well.

Let's make this clear. I COMPLAIN BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT TO PLAY THAT STARTING S**T AGAIN!
I have very limited time to play games, I play to enjoy NEW experiences, not grinding the same crap time and time again.

As for old games. Old games were that. Today is this. If Ubisoft wants to make games of past, they should state "our saving process is total s*** and will eat your saves at unknown times" before anyone buys this crap.

strigoi1958
01-15-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't know anyone having problems saving to hard drive and have searched the forum and found nothing, maybe you could post a link so I can see.

Unless you work for Ubi or know something we don't know... you cannot state there was NO reason to turn off/ wipe the cloud..... we're all in the dark and Ubi said sorry.

If starting again is your only option and you only complain because you don't want to restart then there is nothing that can be done. You could rant here which is fine but preferably it is better in the technical threads rather than the general pc threads as we're just gamers like you mate....
The way I see it you're better off either restarting and coming here to vent your anger for a while or move on to the next game.
Either way enjoy your gaming and don't let it stress you out.