PDA

View Full Version : Going to Venice... for real! Can you help?

podo318
01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm going to a family reunion with my husband and son overseas (from the U.S.) and planning on taking a side trip to Venice and Florence. (This is a surprise for my college age son who is an Assassin's Creed fan) and if you could help me, it would be great!

If you were to travel to Venice and Florence, (or have already done this), what would you focus on as places to see or do in relation to the Assassin's Creed 2 game?
I believe it's set more in the Renaissance period? (Therefore we wont be focusing on Modern Art museums etc.)

Any suggestions would be great...
Places to see
Walkways to explore etc.
People to hunt (just kdding about that one!)

Thank you in advance for any ideas! :)

shobhit7777777
01-10-2014, 09:37 PM
All I want to share is that many restaurants by the canals will charge extra for sitting outside (near the canal, outside the building). That is all.

Have a great trip. :D

roostersrule2
01-10-2014, 09:38 PM
Climbing on ladders is socially acceptable, climbing on buildings however is not.

LoyalACFan
01-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I've never been to either Florence or Venice personally, but from the photos my art history professor showed my class, the major places you HAVE to visit are the Florence Cathedral (although this one's so famous I can't imagine you'd be going to Florence without seeing it... it would be like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower, haha :p), Giotto's Campanile, which is the big square tower to the left of the domed cathedral in the top image below, and the Piazzetta San Marco in Venice, especially the nearby Basilica. Those locations are so recognizable in the photos that I actually felt like I'd been there myself from having played Assassin's Creed 2.

Florence Cathedral
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d2/Il_Duomo_Florence_Italy.JPG/300px-Il_Duomo_Florence_Italy.JPG

Giotto's Campanile
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0f/Giotto%27s_campanile-263.jpg/200px-Giotto%27s_campanile-263.jpg

Piazzetta San Marco
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c4/Venezia_piazza_s.Marco_2.JPG/800px-Venezia_piazza_s.Marco_2.JPG

St. Mark's Basilica
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/Venice_-_St._Marc%27s_Basilica_01.jpg/800px-Venice_-_St._Marc%27s_Basilica_01.jpg

These are all apparently pretty well-known monuments, so I have no doubt you'll be able to find ample information on them for your travel arrangements. And if your son is a big AC2 fan, trust me, he'll know them straightaway.

Have fun. I'm jealous ;)

Vanitas1846
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
In Florence you should go visit Giotto's Campanile and Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore which are right next to each other and notable climbing locations (As LoyalACFan has shown in pictures). The Basilica di Santa Maria Novella is also in Florence and in the game it contained an Assassin's Tomb. Ponte Vecchio is the bridge where the game first begins, so that may also be a place to visit.

For Venice there is the Basilica di San Marco and the Palazzo Ducale di Venezia (Also shown above in LoyalACFan's post). These two buildings are adjoining each other, and the plaza in front of them will be easily recognizable as many events happened around those buildings while Ezio was in Venice. An Assassin's Tomb was located in the Basilica and an Assassination took place in the Palazzo (after flying there on one of Da Vinci's inventions).

I hope your family has an amazing trip!

podo318
01-11-2014, 01:58 AM
Climbing on ladders is socially acceptable, climbing on buildings however is not.

Unless you're Spiderman :)

podo318
01-11-2014, 01:59 AM
Hey thanks everyone for the great suggestions and even PICTURES! :)

Hrafnagud72
01-11-2014, 04:10 AM
I am jealous. Your son is one lucky duck.

Lethalla
01-11-2014, 04:18 AM
Hey there, I dragged my family to Florence, Venice and Rome because I'm a huge AC fan...
Does/did your son play the online multiplayer? If so, on Florence make sure you go to Santa Maria Novella, because the garden to the side is part of the multiplayer map. If he didn't play the multiplayer you should still go; he should recognise the striped archways around the garden. You should go to the Pitti Palace (amazing in itself), Santa Croce and Spedale degli Innocenti as well, which are all AC locations - as well as the aforementioned Duomo and Campanile (worth the view, I can tell you, and truly awe-inspiring buildings). If you have time you should try to make a daytrip to San Gimignano too (sadly, I didn't). Oh and make sure you at least go to the Uffizi (he should recognise some of the famous paintings in there) and the the Accademia to see Michaelangelo's David.
In Venice, Piazza di San Marco is the place to go, as well as the Basilica and Ducal Palace. (And go to Murano, for yourself!)

I will go again, one day... Next time I won't bore my husband and kids silly by continually exclaiming, "Ezio climbed that!" :D

I hope you really enjoy it. :)