PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone know Masyaf castle and the assassin order were real?

ConanTheLeader
01-10-2014, 07:35 PM
I know these games are based on history, but you always have to take things with a grain of salt and realise that they are works of fiction. Still, this was interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masyaf_Castle

And yes I already know about the real Templars, probably lots of people know about this but for those that don't it is a short yet interesting bit of history. Does anyone else have any fave/interesting bits of history that made it into the franchise?

datensystem
01-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Also are the templars, but now they have a 2nd name "Illuminati".

ConanTheLeader
01-10-2014, 07:49 PM

The Templars have always been fascinating. If you want another game that is about modern Templars you might want to check an old PC point and click adventure game called Broken Sword. It's now on Apple app stores, maybe even Android to.

ze_topazio
01-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Yes, we know, Jerusalem, Havana, Rodrigo Borgia and George Washington are also real.

In Portugal they are called Order of Christ, the President of the Republic is the grand master and only member.

RoBg03
01-10-2014, 08:18 PM
one piece of history i think they missed out on was the earthquake in constantinople in 1509. instead of makeing it a gameplay event, they chose to use it as a plot device to bring ezio there, as it exposed one of the masayef keys if i remember correctly...would have been cool to free run during an earthquake...oh well

pacmanate
01-10-2014, 08:21 PM
George Washington are also real.

No way :O

MasterAssasin84
01-10-2014, 08:30 PM

The knights Templars origins date back to the crusades when they was founded to protect the Christian Pilgrimages across the Levant !

The Illuminati and the Templars are completely different things plus there is no actual proof that the Illuminati exists !

The Illuminati is a conspiracy but the Freemasons derived from the Templar order .

ze_topazio
01-10-2014, 08:31 PM
No way :O

I'm telling you, i was quite surprised when i found out Washington and the American Revolution was a true story.

pacmanate
01-10-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm telling you, i was quite surprised when i found out Washington and the American Revolution was a true story.

You learn something new every day!

MasterAssasin84
01-10-2014, 08:36 PM

No Seriously :confused: ( Just Kidding )

of cause he was real ! as was Benjamin Franklin and Samual Adams , George Washington was one of the first freemasons in America.

The American Revolution is one of the most talked about era's in History !!

Kagurra
01-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Conspiracies!!!

Felix-Vivo
01-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Next you guys will be trying to tell us that Da Vinci was a real person...

Back on topic, though, I was quite excited to discover that there is sort-of a Monteriggioni. I wonder how many people visit these places just as fans of Assassin's Creed?

MasterAssasin84
01-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Next you guys will be trying to tell us that Da Vinci was a real person...

Back on topic, though, I was quite excited to discover that there is sort-of a Monteriggioni. I wonder how many people visit these places just as fans of Assassin's Creed?

Its Amazing aint it how a video game is which clearly states in the beginning that the following is based on actual events ! ! i have always wanted to go to Florence to visit the sites in AC2 ! the Santa Maria Novella all those places !

ze_topazio
01-10-2014, 08:49 PM
I once found some pics on the internet taken by an AC fan who visited Monteriggioni.

pacmanate
01-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I once found some pics on the internet taken by an AC fan who visited Monteriggioni.

My cousin went to Rome last year and the pictures she took blew my mind, it looks amazing

LoyalACFan
01-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Yes, there is a real Masyaf, but if I'm not mistaken AC1's Masyaf was based mostly on Alamut. Because the inspiration for the franchise came from Vladimir Bartol's novel Alamut.

MasterAssasin84
01-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Yes, there is a real Masyaf, but if I'm not mistaken AC1's Masyaf was based mostly on Alamut. Because the inspiration for the franchise came from Vladimir Bartol's novel Alamut.

Masyaf Castle in Syria is real !! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masyaf_Castle But i assume your referring to Assassins creed Adoptation .

pacmanate
01-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Masyaf Castle in Syria is real !! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masyaf_Castle But i assume your referring to Assassins creed Adoptation .

Adaptation....

SixKeys
01-10-2014, 09:42 PM
Its Amazing aint it how a video game is which clearly states in the beginning that the following is based on actual events ! !

None of the games claim to be "based on actual events". Otherwise we would have to assume PoEs and TWCB are real. The games take historical locations, people and events and fill in the missing gaps that we don't know from history with their own, fictional story bits.

ze_topazio
01-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Alamut is real too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alamut_Castle

MasterAssasin84
01-10-2014, 09:49 PM
None of the games claim to be "based on actual events". Otherwise we would have to assume PoEs and TWCB are real. The games take historical locations, people and events and fill in the missing gaps that we don't know from history with their own, fictional story bits.

I was reffering to the Historical events ! not the fantasy

LoyalACFan
01-10-2014, 09:56 PM

I know it's real, but I think the castle in AC1 was based more on the real-life Alamut than the real-life Masyaf.

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 10:12 PM

U know pretty Sure he means that historical events

Hans684
01-10-2014, 10:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashid_ad-Din_Sinan

Al Mualim is real too.

aL_____eX
01-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Nah, there were no real Assassins. Ubi took the idea from Prince of Persia (which btw was released 3 years after AC). So maybe some Ubi guys travelled forward in time? (Piece of Eden? Templars?)
That's the whole story. Sorry for disappointing you! :)

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Nah, there were no real Assassins. Ubi took the idea from Prince of Persia (which btw was released 3 years after AC). So maybe some Ubi guys travelled forward in time? (Piece of Eden? Templars?)
That's the whole story. Sorry for disappointing you! :)
Dude assassins did really exist they were known as the hashashin or something like that

itsamea-mario
01-11-2014, 12:21 AM
So much silly in this thread.

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 12:30 AM
So much silly in this thread.

You know it's gotten bad when Mario has to be the voice of reason.

Shahkulu101
01-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Did you. KnOw pyr@tz like blakbeerd wur reel 2too.

MasterAssasin84
01-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Dude assassins did really exist they were known as the hashashin or something like that

Its all here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins Its a really interesting Read .

itsamea-mario
01-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Did you. KnOw pyr@tz like blakbeerd wur reel 2too.

Lolno! Pirates were invented in the 1930's by hollywood.

ConanTheLeader
01-11-2014, 01:07 AM
I was reffering to the Historical events ! not the fantasy

You can try and be a smart arse but as someone living in London you will know that the middle East during the crusades is hardly a hot topic in our history classes and at the end of the day, these stories are just works of fiction based on actual events, so I don't take everything within the game as a fact. The hashashin arn't the stuff of legends like the Templars nor as important to our recent history like George Washington fighting against the British Empire, so I won't apologise for not knowing that little factoid of history, bosh'tet ;)

dbzk1999
01-11-2014, 05:28 AM
You can try and be a smart arse but as someone living in London you will know that the middle East during the crusades is hardly a hot topic in our history classes and at the end of the day, these stories are just works of fiction based on actual events, so I don't take everything within the game as a fact. The hashashin arn't the stuff of legends like the Templars nor as important to our recent history like George Washington fighting against the British Empire, so I won't apologise for not knowing that little factoid of history, bosh'tet ;)

That Is not being a smart a he was just referencing how the game itself states it's based off of historical events & people and he wasn't asking for an apology

Fatal-Feit
01-11-2014, 08:38 AM
This is why I never want AC to tackle modern day. A digital tour of the past is what it's all about! :D

eagleforlife1
01-11-2014, 09:43 AM
This is why I never want AC to tackle modern day. A digital tour of the past is what it's all about! :D

Word.

Kit572
01-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Though you got to admit, the Animus is a great concept.

DinoSteve1
01-11-2014, 10:09 AM

I disagree Assassin's Creed is about the Assassin Templer hidden war and the POE. It can be set anywhere in anytime.

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 11:23 AM
I disagree Assassin's Creed is about the Assassin Templer hidden war and the POE. It can be set anywhere in anytime.

Except they would have to completely change the entire format of the game to make a full modern one. No thanks. I have GTA and soon, Watch Dogs.

Kit572
01-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Except they would have to completely change the entire format of the game to make a full modern one. No thanks. I have GTA and soon, Watch Dogs.

Not to mention the possibility of Watch Dogs being connected to the AC universe.

DinoSteve1
01-11-2014, 11:51 AM
I don't agree, they wouldn't have to change the format all that much, besides isn't everyone complaining that the format needs to change anyway.

Thirsty_panda
01-11-2014, 11:52 AM

It's really something that there are people who take this view. Assassin's creed would had been a one shot without the modern day stuff. Think for a second. Ezio become largely marketable in the end, but just how marketable would a Renaissance game had been without the concept of the animus which was intertwined with modern day? Wouldn't it had seemed a little weird to make that jump from the Crusades? As a result I think it would had fell flat in comparison to how well AC II actually performed. In other words I don't think they would had ever attempted it to begin with. So many people just don't appreciate what it took to get this series running it seems.

jdowny
01-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I've been to Masyaf in Syria about a year before I played Assassin's Creed, so it was a great surprise for me to inhabit a place I'd been to before in a game - it's a shame that it looks nothing like it does in real life. I'd love to go to the Assassin castles in Iran, since the main castle of Alamut more closely resembles that of Masyaf in AC.

What was most definitely surreal for me was exploring Damascus in AC, since the Old City of Damascus so closely resembles its in-game counterpart. I guess that's why I love the series so much - it's a bit of a shame that the setting for the previous two games have changed so much in real life that there's barely anything left to compare the game experience to.

SixKeys
01-11-2014, 03:26 PM
I've been to Masyaf in Syria about a year before I played Assassin's Creed, so it was a great surprise for me to inhabit a place I'd been to before in a game - it's a shame that it looks nothing like it does in real life. I'd love to go to the Assassin castles in Iran, since the main castle of Alamut more closely resembles that of Masyaf in AC.

What was most definitely surreal for me was exploring Damascus in AC, since the Old City of Damascus so closely resembles its in-game counterpart. I guess that's why I love the series so much - it's a bit of a shame that the setting for the previous two games have changed so much in real life that there's barely anything left to compare the game experience to.

AC1 devs didn't have much reference for how the city used to look a thousand years ago. That's probably why the in-game city they created so closely resembles the current real one. In fact, back then they didn't have the budget to visit all the real locations and just created stuff based on maps and history books. One historian complemented them saying "you can really tell from the game's atmosphere that you've been there" when the devs hadn't even been to that location. :)

jdowny
01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
^ Not entirely true - the style of Old Damascus and indeed many of the old quarters of ancient cities haven't changed much. Buildings hundreds of years old are simply patched up using original methods and materials instead of what we do now, which is to demolish and build anew. Plus there are plenty of original buildings, from khans, souqs, caravanserais and mosques that remain exactly as they were at the time of AC.

I find it hard to believe that none of the team had been to any of these locations in AC, but if you're right about that then it makes their work doubly impressive. But this is precisely why I love Ezio and Altair's stories - they take place in ancient cities with many landmarks that are still exactly the same now as they were in the games. Unlike AC III and IV where so many of the landmarks have been destroyed in just 300 years.