PDA

View Full Version : Captain Kidd missions in AC3 better than a lot of Black Flag?

marcbryan
01-09-2014, 02:57 AM
I just played through the Captain Kidd side quest in AC3 after having played through and beaten AC4 and I must admit I feel like those missions were a little better than a lot of what we got in Black Flag at least in regard to environment design. It's probably just me but I think that the environments in AC3 were it's most astounding and under appreciated achievements. The frontier alone was incredible and beautiful open world to run through which was what I was hoping for with the jungles in AC4.

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2014, 03:05 AM
Exactly!

AC:3 had some really cool side-missions, side-stories, side-characters, and historic places. Which was a huge reason why I was excited for AC:4. I was expecting AC:4 to be full of adventure and side-missions equal or even better than Captain Kidd's. I wanted them to take full advantage of what they had promised and could potentially do with a pirate sequel.

AC:3 had it's downers but there was so much stuff that should have been in Black Flag that I was really hoping for. I mean- what happened to the supposed mysteries and puzzles that was suppose to be in AC:IV?

dbzk1999
01-09-2014, 03:09 AM
Let's all remember though that this was supposed to be more naval based I didn't expect jungles to be that huge and I was fine with that cause of the naval

SixKeys
01-09-2014, 03:58 AM
The only ones I even remember were the Mad Doctor's Castle (awesome) and the annoying one with the aligning puzzle and the stupid wolves. The rest were very forgettable. If they were all as great as the Mad Doctor's Castle, I would have loved similar missions in AC4.

pirate1802
01-09-2014, 04:09 AM
Let's all remember though that this was supposed to be more naval based I didn't expect jungles to be that huge and I was fine with that cause of the naval

Apart from the size of the jungle, there is nothing in AC III's frontier that AC IV's "frontier" doesn't have.

I agreed though, the mad doctor's castle mission was super uber awesome.

dbzk1999
01-09-2014, 04:15 AM
The only ones I even remember were the Mad Doctor's Castle (awesome) and the annoying one with the aligning puzzle and the stupid wolves. The rest were very forgettable. If they were all as great as the Mad Doctor's Castle, I would have loved similar missions in AC4.

What about fort Walcott while destroying it wasn't that big it was because of how old Connor wad

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 08:16 AM
TBH I wasn't that fond of the Kidd missions. They were just too linear. While I enjoyed the linear tomb missions from Ezio's trilogy, that was primarily because we got to see the insides of famous Italian landmarks, something I've always wanted to do in real life. AC3's "tombs" were pretty, especially the doctor's mansion and the northwest passage one, but they couldn't hope to top the grand, overwhelming feel of the Renaissance cathedrals from AC2, and gameplay-wise they were just more of AC3's trademark linearity.

Besides, that mission in Charles-Towne where you jump over the crocodiles and stuff while chasing that guy was basically a mash-up of Dead Chest Island and the doctor's mansion from AC3.

Sabuto78
01-09-2014, 08:28 AM
This topic made me lol Irl. lmfao

DinoSteve1
01-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Thats it, I can't take anyone seriously on the forum anymore.

pirate1802
01-09-2014, 10:02 AM
haha

DisbandedBox359
01-09-2014, 10:31 AM
I even liked the mayan ruins one for Kidds sword, that and the one at the fort where the best one's for me

TexasToast712
01-09-2014, 12:00 PM
The set pieces for Ac3 were beautiful but I still have this horrid memory of Connor repeatedly wall humping the side of a cliff that clearly should be traversable because Im trying to reach something at the top.

LoyalACFan
01-09-2014, 12:38 PM
Thats it, I can't take anyone seriously on the forum anymore.

That's just the way the internet works. As soon as AC2 came out, it became fashionable to sing AC1's praises in favor of its sequel. Then when AC3 hype train was rolling hard, the prevailing voices acted like Ezio was the Jesus Christ of Assassin's Creed. There's always a certain segment of the fanbase that will never be satisfied with a new installment because they remember the old one through rose-colored glasses.

marcbryan
01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
That's just the way the internet works. As soon as AC2 came out, it became fashionable to sing AC1's praises in favor of its sequel. Then when AC3 hype train was rolling hard, the prevailing voices acted like Ezio was the Jesus Christ of Assassin's Creed. There's always a certain segment of the fanbase that will never be satisfied with a new installment because they remember the old one through rose-colored glasses.

Agreed! I, for one, am becoming more fond of the series as it's developing. I just think that the overall environment design of those missions were really well done and would like to have seen that same approach applied to Black Flag like the invasion of Fort Wolcott or the Northwest passage. Also, AC3 is constantly being criticized on what it's not and it didn't do and not what it has accomplished and improved over the early games.

pacmanate
01-09-2014, 03:10 PM
I don't think they were better than AC4, but they were better than AC3.

marcbryan
01-10-2014, 12:13 AM
I definitely think that AC3 was the highlight of the series mostly because of the subtleties in gameplay and design. The Providence was a much more interesting ship than the Jackdaw as far exploration is concerned. It's a shame that you weren't able to explore the lower deck of your own ship. Granted it probably wouldn't have been necessary to go there most of the time but it would have been awesome, you know, for immersion purposes. Also, why did they omit interactive conversations in AC4? It would have been really cool to have spoken with different main/sub characters throughout the game especially Mary Read. I guess I like RPG's a lot. Haha. Would be nice to see AC go that route.

pirate1802
01-10-2014, 03:39 AM
I think AC4 was what AC3 tried to be and failed. It was AC4's tech demo, if you like.

Fatal-Feit
01-10-2014, 10:31 AM
I think AC4 was what AC3 tried to be and failed. It was AC4's tech demo, if you like.

This sounds right, but it's not. AC:4 feels too much like a 2.8 than a 3.5 in the series. There are so many drawbacks and the lack of innovation and improvements in certain parts aren't exactly hidden. AC:3 has its problems but when you've played through the entire game and DLC 100%, you'd have to be someone set with amnesia to not notice its the bigger package, all in all.

I mean, hell, AC:3 graphics and animations compared to AC:4 are at a sequel's level. AC:4's stiff and clunky animations feels like that halfway project from AC:R to AC:3.

Wait, what? Oak Island, the Ghost Ship, that treasure chase, and Fort Wolcoot weren't memorable? I thought they were awesome. :p

I wanted AC:IV so have so much more segments like those. Maybe not the chase because I thought that one was ridiculous but perhaps in Black Flag's fashion, have Edward chase the guy into a Naval Battle or a deserted Island.

DinoSteve1
01-10-2014, 11:25 AM
You are forgetting one thing ACIV was fun while AC3 is a chore.

pirate1802
01-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Maybe technically AC3 was better than AC IV in some respect, but in terms of the feel, the fun factor and as a complete product, imo AC IV is far ahead of AC3. And this coming from a person who doesn't even hate AC 3.

DinoSteve1
01-10-2014, 11:49 AM
You haven't AC3 or haven't played AC3?

Fatal-Feit
01-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Maybe technically AC3 was better than AC IV in some respect, but in terms of the feel, the fun factor and as a complete product, imo AC IV is far ahead of AC3. And this coming from a person who doesn't even have AC 3.

I'm not going to lie, AC:IV is twice as satisfying to complete than AC:3. It's possibly the most replayed AC I have, but in terms of quality, I just can't give it a thumbs up. I really wanted AC:IV to surpass AC:3 in everything. Every replay, the game just keep feeling like ''THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THIS'' or ''THEY SHOULD OF HAD THIS'' and the constant glitched dynamic stealth teases did not help. And I'm still sour about the PC port.

You are forgetting one thing ACIV was fun while AC3 is a chore.

That's why I give AC:IV a bigger score than AC:3. In the short time it's been out, I've already replayed it more than AC:3.

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 11:54 AM
This sounds right, but it's not. AC:4 feels too much like a 2.8 than a 3.5 in the series. There are so many drawbacks and the lack of innovation and improvements in certain parts aren't exactly hidden. AC:3 has its problems but when you've played through the entire game and DLC 100%, you'd have to be someone set with amnesia to not notice its the bigger package, all in all.

I mean, hell, AC:3 graphics and animations compared to AC:4 are at a sequel's level. AC:4's stiff and clunky animations feels like that halfway project from AC:R to AC:3.

Wait, what? Oak Island, the Ghost Ship, that treasure chase, and Fort Wolcoot weren't memorable? I thought they were awesome. :p

I wanted AC:IV so have so much more segments like those. Maybe not the chase because I thought that one was ridiculous but perhaps in Black Flag's fashion, have Edward chase the guy into a Naval Battle or a deserted Island.

Have u completed all the contracts cause yhats exactly what u can do

pirate1802
01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Obviously, while I think its the best AC, there are still many things I look and think.. ooh they should have done this, they should have included that! But honestly, there were far more of these moments while I played AC3.

I also noticed something, when Edward blends with drunk pirates, he acts like a drunk, swaying his hands and all, in other words, BLENDING ANIMATIONS. Why does he stand like a statue when blending with normal groups then?

You haven't AC3 or haven't played AC3?

hate*. I have no idea why I wrote have.

Yup, I remember one contract where I had to down a guy on a ship, and it became a long chase, the target got off the ship onto an island, and into a plantation.. A simple assassination contract became a full-on brawl with dozens of redcoats lol

Fatal-Feit
01-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Obviously, while I think its the best AC, there are still many things I look and think.. ooh they should have done this, they should have included that! But honestly, there were far more of these moments while I played AC3.

I also noticed something, when Edward blends with drunk pirates, he acts like a drunk, swaying his hands and all, in other words, BLENDING ANIMATIONS. Why does he stand like a statue when blending with normal groups then?

That's something I can't get over. It's just too... explicit. In the demo he is shown seamlessly kneeling next to pirates on the ground. They should have at least added that! Considering how much AI's are constantly resting, I had hoped that wasn't cut.

That's why I said in typical AC:IV fashion because frankly, there wasn't enough of that. 2 or 3 missions in the entire game at best.

marcbryan
01-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Agreed. I think UBISOFT might have a problem where the demos and hype for their games promise more than what they deliver. For example, whatever happened to the mission where you go to the tavern for a drink and knockout a target behind you by slamming them into the bar and then pursuing the next target onto their ship? Maybe AC4 is just the tech demo for their pirate franchise.

DinoSteve1
01-10-2014, 01:57 PM
I never pass any remarks on the fmv trailers because often they have little to do with the game, they are only there to give you a taste of what the game is going to be, the only trailers you should pay attention to is the in game footage trailers. fmv trailers are a bit like the teaser trailers for movie trailers.

pirate1802
01-10-2014, 01:58 PM
That mission was still there. I didnt kill him by knocking out, but it was there, the two targets. The second one tried to run onto his ship but I headshot him. And it was on Grand Cayman, as shown in the demo. I traced my steps exactly as it was shown in the demo lol, from jumping from viewpoint to the pigeon coop and then onto the tavern. :p

But anyway, I think by now we've learned enough not to trust ubisoft's "demos". Both AC3 and AC4's E3 demos were misleading.

Mr_Shade
01-10-2014, 02:00 PM
I never pass any remarks on the fmv trailers because often they have little to do with the game, they are only there to give you a taste of what the game is going to be, the only trailers you should pay attention to is the in game footage trailers. fmv trailers are a bit like the teaser trailers for movie trailers.

E3 Demos and CGI trailers are intended to show the feeling of the game - it's a slice of fictional gameplay [which may or may not contain in game missions] and a general overview of the game as a whole - but that gameplay, which also includes animations etc is always subject to change.

People should use them to give you a general idea, not final gameplay.

This has always been said when asked - however many do seem to forget that.

Reviews and previews of the final game, are there for this.

mikeyf1999
01-10-2014, 05:37 PM
[
QUOTE=Fatal-Feit;9479655]That's something I can't get over. It's just too... explicit. In the demo he is shown seamlessly kneeling next to pirates on the ground. They should have at least added that! Considering how much AI's are constantly resting, I had hoped that wasn't cut.

That's why I said in typical AC:IV fashion because frankly, there wasn't enough of that. 2 or 3 missions in the entire game at best.[/QUOTE]
Well to let it happen I just let them get away for a bit