PDA

View Full Version : Free Running in future AC titles

imdreamin
01-07-2014, 06:42 PM
First of all i wanted to start by saying i love every main Assassins Creed game. But seeing as how i played ACII recently it got me wondering about the free running mechanic which is one of the core systems in any AC game. Even though in AC1,2, Brotherhood and Revelations sometimes it was a bit frustrating you did have IMO more control as to what you want to do and with that more risks when running on rooftops cause you could fall which added more excitement for me. In ACIII and IV the free running was changed to pretty much one button (you only had to use the Jump button when the the distance is really far) which kinda makes IMO opinion the free running less fun for me. And i know that even with the changes to the mechanic it can still be frustrating. I do however think that overall the new free running mechanic is IMO better than the previous titles, Its just easier, faster and involves little decision making (except the path you want to choose).

So my question is do you think they should just polish the free running in future AC titles so that the Assassin does not go all haywire on the player or do you think they should somehow add more "risks" or decision making while free running?

Pure_Mind_Games
01-07-2014, 06:49 PM
I just hate it when all I wanna do is run down an ally and he jumps on boxes, climbs wall swings on stuff but when I want to do all that he wants to stay on ground, it's like it can't decide if the controls are too tight or too loose.

imdreamin
01-07-2014, 06:59 PM
hmm Kind of strange for some reason i have never had that much trouble controlling him. Just sometimes when I am suppose to chase someone. It happened less in ACIII and IV but never had that much problems controlling him dont know why :D

dbzk1999
01-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Like I said man those assassins have to use the hard way lol :)

SixKeys
01-07-2014, 10:33 PM
I definitely prefer the old controls (pre-AC3), but it's highly unlikely they'll go back to that style. AC4 already tweaked the freerunning to be more precise than AC3, hopefully the controls will keep getting smoother with each new release.

Pure_Mind_Games
01-07-2014, 11:18 PM
I definitely prefer the old controls (pre-AC3), but it's highly unlikely they'll go back to that style. AC4 already tweaked the freerunning to be more precise than AC3, hopefully the controls will keep getting smoother with each new release.

Yeah, I honestly don't remember having much trouble pre AC3 either

HDinHB
01-08-2014, 12:20 AM
It does seem like it's too easy now, at least I don't plummet to my death nearly as often as I used to. Maybe they can bring back the climb-leap button or the grab while falling button to make it feel like I'm involved in the decision making.

I really hope they will bring back more of the grand free-running puzzles like AC2's tombs or ACBs lairs. They seem to have just gotten shorter and easier until they have practically disappeared. When Adewale was escaping the slave ship I was thinking yeah, more like this.*

*** Freedom Cry Spoiler ***
*I liked the climbing part, not the people drowning part.

dbzk1999
01-08-2014, 12:28 AM
It does seem like it's too easy now, at least I don't plummet to my death nearly as often as I used to. Maybe they can bring back the climb-leap button or the grab while falling button to make it feel like I'm involved in the decision making.

I really hope they will bring back more of the grand free-running puzzles like AC2's tombs or ACBs lairs. They seem to have just gotten shorter and easier until they have practically disappeared. When Adewale was escaping the slave ship I was thinking yeah, more like this.*

*** Freedom Cry Spoiler ***

*I liked the climbing part, not the people drowning part.
Wait do u mean grab a ledge or grab when falling from a wall

HDinHB
01-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Wait do u mean grab a ledge or grab when falling from a wall

I think I mean grab a ledge while falling from a wall. You used to have to push O (circle) on PS3 to grab while falling. Now you just move the stick, which is maybe easier and more automatic, but feels more disconnected to me.

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Just bring back the vertical leap movement and it will all be good. I miss it.. :(

DinoSteve1
01-08-2014, 03:17 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks free running was better in older games.

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 03:39 AM
I'm divided on this. On one hand I do love that Connor/Haytham/Edward now climbs much more quickly (played AC2/R recently and the climbing now, after playing AC 3/4, seemed painfully slow to me), but as others have pointed out, its pretty much automatic now. I love that you can vault over obstacles now (so much so that I always take the route with the most number of obstacles in it to watch Eddy vault over them) but I do not like that he automatically shoves people away. So its 50/50 for me. Perfect would be for them to introduce more vertical gaps during climbing, which forces me to use the "jump" button, like the monkey jump in AC2/B. And if they make it so that Edward only shoves people away if you have the action button pressed (much like vaulting), then it would be perfect for me.