PDA

View Full Version : Confusion regarding the Apples of Eden

Bozosaurus76
01-06-2014, 09:12 PM
So, at the end of AC:R we see that Altair keeps the apple he's had his whole life in the library with him when he dies, and only tells people the Apple is hidden in Cyprus as a ruse. However, 400 years later during the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople, the Sultan hides a different Apple of Eden in a vault on Cyprus. According to Altair's Codex from AC:2, Altair claims he hid an apple on Cyprus, even though he apparently didn't. But if so, it seems a very odd bit of storytelling on Ubisoft's part that somebody would randomly hide an apple on Cyprus 400 years after Altair claims he does so himself, thus Altair would seemingly be telling the truth.

Doing some research on the Assassin's Creed Wiki, the Apples that Ezio wields in AC:2 and AC:B and Altair wields in AC:1 and keeps in his library are in fact DIFFERENT apples. So, is there a reason why Altair lied about the Apple's whereabouts but four centuries later (and with a huge stroke of luck) somebody hides an Apple in the place where Altair said he did, thus causing this massive confusion?

Maybe Altair knew there was a vault on Cyprus and used it as a red herring, but from what I remember nothing in the games indicates he would have such knowledge (maybe I'm wrong?). This just seems like another case of messy story telling by Ubisoft. One could work out in their minds a way to make all this information coherent and non-contradictory, however there still leaves much to be desired.

Any feedback?

dbzk1999
01-06-2014, 11:38 PM
So, at the end of AC:R we see that Altair keeps the apple he's had his whole life in the library with him when he dies, and only tells people the Apple is hidden in Cyprus as a ruse. However, 400 years later during the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople, the Sultan hides a different Apple of Eden in a vault on Cyprus. According to Altair's Codex from AC:2, Altair claims he hid an apple on Cyprus, even though he apparently didn't. But if so, it seems a very odd bit of storytelling on Ubisoft's part that somebody would randomly hide an apple on Cyprus 400 years after Altair claims he does so himself, thus Altair would seemingly be telling the truth.

Doing some research on the Assassin's Creed Wiki, the Apples that Ezio wields in AC:2 and AC:B and Altair wields in AC:1 and keeps in his library are in fact DIFFERENT apples. So, is there a reason why Altair lied about the Apple's whereabouts but four centuries later (and with a huge stroke of luck) somebody hides an Apple in the place where Altair said he did, thus causing this massive confusion?

Maybe Altair knew there was a vault on Cyprus and used it as a red herring, but from what I remember nothing in the games indicates he would have such knowledge (maybe I'm wrong?). This just seems like another case of messy story telling by Ubisoft. One could work out in their minds a way to make all this information coherent and non-contradictory, however there still leaves much to be desired.

Any feedback?

Probably Altair making sure nobody could suspect where the apple truly was remember he had Darim tell others it was in cipango or the sea I mean what if the Templars attained the codex and decoded wat if Altair flat out said where he hid it and besides I think he originally did put it in the vault I think in secret crusade thy said he took it out to keep to himself but I'm not sure

IWGCJoeCool
01-07-2014, 01:28 AM
just today wrapped another play of ACII, and maybe for the first time, read all 30 Codex Pages, and in order. in the story Altair tells, i saw no doubt that he had hidden an Apple on Cyprus, but that would have been after the "just one more look" at it, that he teases on the 30th.

talk about Apple Pie!!! lol

dbzk1999
01-07-2014, 01:32 AM
just today wrapped another play of ACII, and maybe for the first time, read all 30 Codex Pages, and in order. in the story Altair tells, i saw no doubt that he had hidden an Apple on Cyprus, but that would have been after the "just one more look" at it, that he teases on the 30th.

talk about Apple Pie!!! lol
Guess it just maters when he made the codex in his life

AdamPearce
01-07-2014, 01:38 AM
In Assassin's Creed Bloodlines Altair discovers a 'Vault' on Cyprus, there is a chance that the Ottoman Sultan was aware of this too and decided to hide his Apple there.

My other idea is that Darby faceplanted on this aspect too and that it was never planned that Altair hides the Apple in the Library...

This would make sense since the events in the book of AC1 (the secret crusade) shows totally different events that in Revelations. And it's even weirder since the two memories are different in the two books (SC and R)...Especially for Maria's death for example and Altair's return to Masyaf.

Bozosaurus76
01-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Yea, I just finished Revelations and when Ezio enter's Altair's library, he makes a clear statement that Altair's apple is distinct from the one Ezio hides in the Colosseum. However, is just seems like AC:R is ret-conning all the insinuations/evidence from AC1-AC:B that point to Ezio's and Altair's apple being the one in the same.

AdrianJacek
01-07-2014, 08:26 AM
*sigh*... This again?
Dialogue from AC1:
Desmond: So, what? They're using me to find the Templar treasure? What do they call it? The "Piece of Eden?"
Lucy: Yes.
Desmond: Well, it's looking like it's at Masyaf. So I don't know why they're wasting all this time with me. Why don't they just send their people to pick it up?
Lucy: They can't... it's not that simple. The artifact from Masyaf... they had it. It was destroyed in the accident.
---
See? ACR FIXED a retcon from AC2.