PDA

View Full Version : The future of assassins creed

amhayezin
01-06-2014, 03:22 AM
Hi All I feel the need to express my views on the future of the series, because like a lot of people are saying if it continues with exactly the same missions and gameplay it will go stale. I eventually loved Black Flag because I forced myself to give it a go after playing (and loving) all the other games and really wanting to enjoy it but for the first few missions in cape bonavista and Havana I was huffing and puffing thinking this is just the same old ****, eagle vision, leap of faith, eavesdrop, follow him/her, rooftop assassination, smoke bomb, escape and too many (very annoying) optional objectives. And yes I know they're optional but it doesn't feel like you've properly beat a mission unless you complete it "in sync", fror me anyway.
However the fresh naval battles were exciting and made it feel like you were building some sort of rebellious empire, that along with the groundbreaking combat sytem from AC3 saved the game from its repetitive roots. The story was different but didn't grip me emotionally like some of the past stories.

Anyway this isn't a review, this is what I think is needed;
We need some mystery and fear and darkness back, some of which was present in the first game, Altair was a ghostly figure with a fearsome reputation and it actually felt like he was something supernatural compared to a normal man, because he had some "assassin training"! That **** should mean something, training from an ancient order with secret knowledge and abilities like no man should have. I didn't like how Kenway was just magically an amazing fighter/climber/stealthy****er for no good reason, it made the character less authentic and deatched me from the story. We as a player should have to go through gruelling training sequences for speed and toughness and balance so we feel like untouchable warriors, like we have a reason to be so much better than the guards around us, like we've earned this rank of assassin.
Our main protagonist (our protagonists, if ubisoft follow recent trends) needs to be some kind of mythical demon in the eyes of the genral public, you know like in ACB you could hear the priests whisper "they say he stalks the walls of the Vatican unseen among us" or in the recent trailer with blackbeard narrating "fighting like a devil dressed as a man". We need a dark night to bring back some feeling of awesomeness, in these later games its like everyone knows about the assassins when its supposed to be a secret order. The protag should be hated and feared by all cause only we know he's fighting the good fight.
We need a major overhaul in gameplay, a totally new engine or whatever. We should use realism for stealth like using the shadows to hide in the day and night, blending with shapes and objects by positioning our bodies in a certain way,some kind of noise system that would make us have to walk and run silently because frankly the hiding in haystacks and bushes is so old now. And changing of disguises so we actually fit in with the crowds around us would add realism, although how the hell can you let go of the iconic hood, cant be done.
I love the combat in the last 2 games, the animations are amazing and at first it feels like your doing so many different things while fighting but after a while you realise its just the same four buttons and becomes stale and almost too easy. But without the easiness you lose the feeling of awesomeness if you get me. Maybe if the controls are changed mid game as you advance and become better it might give some freshness.
Its a hard task to create a free flowing combat system that's effective keeps feeling fresh and doesn't get overcomplicated, I don't envy the developers and I respect their hrd work but some of these changes and/or others are desperately needed if our beloved series is to survive in todays criticising climate. I hope they can pull it off coz I for one hope AC continues for a long while to come. Rant over.

amhayezin
01-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Oh and we need more freedom to complete missions anyway we choose. I hate objectives.

Fatal-Feit
01-06-2014, 03:28 AM
Finally, a rant that doesn't do this whole ''AC ISH GOTTEN WORSE N WORST. AC3 SUUUUUCKS. GODZIO ISH DA BEST. SERIES MILKED. AC4 ISN'T AN AC GAAME!!!! GO BACK TO EZIO.''

DinoSteve1
01-06-2014, 05:04 AM
It would have been cool if some of the fleet we gathered could have been used in actual combat in the game.

amhayezin
01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Anyone agree/disagree or have opinions of their own on the next few games?

Fatal-Feit
01-06-2014, 08:40 PM
I want the Hook Blade back. Dynamic Free-Running + Hook Blade = Awesomeness?

pirate1802
01-06-2014, 08:44 PM
I feel a variety in protags is a good thing. Not all protags need be the unknown demon stalking in shadows. Regarding the light and sound system, I'd rather have them invest some thought into the social stealth aspects as opposed to the splinter cell-type stealth. More NPCs, NPCs with schedules, just like in the AC3 Homestead (one of the reasons I loved that place so much.), better AI detection rules that don't allow you to sit on a bench and avoid guards walking right by, looking for you etc suit AC much more. Disguises would help too. Hell after AC1, the iconic hood and white robes make the character stand out in a crowd more rather than helping him blend in. So yes, more disguises/less conspicuous outfits would definitely be a plus in my books. I'm not even that crazy over the iconic hood. Get rid of it and use something more in sync with the settings. Like Aveline's hat. Or a turban if the game's set in Asian settings etc.

I want the Hook Blade back. Dynamic Free-Running + Hook Blade = Awesomeness?

Agreed. They had plans for including it in AC3. If the next game indeed takes place in China I think we can see it retun.

Hans684
01-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Agreed. They had plans for including it in AC3. If the next game indeed takes place in China I think we can see it retun.

Incorrect, you are taking about the Chain-Blade. It was cut becouse it was to fantasy/sci fi. It should have stayed, there already is a lot of fantasy/sci fi in this series and it just a chain with a blade at the end.

SixKeys
01-06-2014, 09:45 PM
The hookblade would be entirely useless with the new freerunning, TBH. Everything is automatic and the assassins of the last two games have been able to perform upward jumps that would have been impossible or at least very difficult for Ezio. It's hard to imagine what they can add to navigation in terms of parkour at this point. Maybe a batclaw-like tool like the planned chain blade, but they already rejected it as too fantasy-like.

pirate1802
01-06-2014, 09:47 PM
B..b..but ziplines? I love ziplining in any game. I'd rotate the camera and have a good view of the scenery as my character descends :p

Consus_E
01-07-2014, 10:21 AM
B..b..but ziplines? I love ziplining in any game. I'd rotate the camera and have a good view of the scenery as my character descends :p

Connor used his tomahawk to zipline:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/34ed09c6b6ed6d1e0347deddbf382a94/tumblr_mu8oyhxLBW1ssntyjo4_r1_500.gif
so I don't think the hook blade is really necessary... Still want ziplines back!!!

Also i'd like to see air assassinations changed, it's weird how the assassin locks onto the target and follows them in midair...

RinoTheBouncer
01-07-2014, 12:06 PM
The reason why people want Ezio back in every non-Ezio game isn’t because he’s a relative of ours that we’re biased towards. It’s because he left a great impression on the franchise, story-wise, personality-wise, gameplay-wise..etc. When we played ACII, we didn’t know Ezio and I’m not that interested in renaissance era but I loved Ezio so much because his story, the modern day story accompanying Ezio’s story, the First Civilization, the side characters, they were all very inspiring. The game kept me at the edge of my seat from start to end, ACII, AC:B and AC:R. They just kept getting better.

Now, there isn’t that much innovation. There’s just a way to appeal to mainstream market, to people who don’t care about a story in a game, just crazy free-roaming like in GTA or multiplayer, as in Call of Duty. I’ve been a fan of AC since ACI came out and I always talked about how original, how innovative and how interesting the game is and I keep suggesting the Desmond saga to all the people I know whom are interested in video gaming. But now, it’s going downhill.

My point is, if they’re going to present something new, something original, and something of importance to the story of the character and the story of the AC universe as a whole and the same connections between evens and characters, in addition to the cliffhangers and interesting present and historical portions of the story, I’m going to be very happy with it and they will have officially improved the franchise.

Do I want Ezio back? YES
Am I gonna criticize AC if he doesn’t come back? No
Will another character appeal to me? Yes, of course. If he/she and their story are well done and the game is very original and feels like a true AC game, of course I will love it and support it.

But if they’re gonna keep bringing some known factions or groups like The Pirates or Ninjas or soon enough, Usama Bin Laden’s Al Quaeda and stick the ‘Assassins’ label on them or desperately relate the “assassin” to them, then no. It’s going to be another step outside the AC zone.

Let’s go back in time before Ezio. Let’s play as an assassin using his skills not his weapons, not his recruits, not anything fancy like that. Lets do free running, lets try poison instead of hidden blades or daggers perhaps. Let the game be something original like the first game was, like ACII was, like AC:Brotherhood’s present day was, like AC:Brahman comic book is. Lets stop limiting ourselves between Altair and WWII. And whoever says that ACIV was a “look from the outside at the Assassin’s Creed” is not right because ACIV felt more like a spin-off with some references to the assassins.

I’d love to see AC graphics improved because honestly, for 2 games released on PS3 in it’s later stages, the graphics weren’t that special. Look at Beyond Two Souls and how perfect everything looks in it’s gameplay and cutscenes. Animations need more improvement. Look at Metal Gear Solid V, it’s perfect. ACIV introduced diving, it was good but we only did one main mission there and we didn’t really uncover anything special.

When they announced diving in ACIV, I thought we’re gonna find a piece of eden underwater. Non of that happened. So it feels like Ubisoft introduces a good idea but then fails to continue with it. Just like many loose ends that started long ago and remain untied or were solved in a really cheap way.

dbzk1999
01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
The reason why people want Ezio back in every non-Ezio game isn’t because he’s a relative of ours that we’re biased towards. It’s because he left a great impression on the franchise, story-wise, personality-wise, gameplay-wise..etc. When we played ACII, we didn’t know Ezio and I’m not that interested in renaissance era but I loved Ezio so much because his story, the modern day story accompanying Ezio’s story, the First Civilization, the side characters, they were all very inspiring. The game kept me at the edge of my seat from start to end, ACII, AC:B and AC:R. They just kept getting better.

Now, there isn’t that much innovation. There’s just a way to appeal to mainstream market, to people who don’t care about a story in a game, just crazy free-roaming like in GTA or multiplayer, as in Call of Duty. I’ve been a fan of AC since ACI came out and I always talked about how original, how innovative and how interesting the game is and I keep suggesting the Desmond saga to all the people I know whom are interested in video gaming. But now, it’s going downhill.

My point is, if they’re going to present something new, something original, and something of importance to the story of the character and the story of the AC universe as a whole and the same connections between evens and characters, in addition to the cliffhangers and interesting present and historical portions of the story, I’m going to be very happy with it and they will have officially improved the franchise.

Do I want Ezio back? YES
Am I gonna criticize AC if he doesn’t come back? No
Will another character appeal to me? Yes, of course. If he/she and their story are well done and the game is very original and feels like a true AC game, of course I will love it and support it.

But if they’re gonna keep bringing some known factions or groups like The Pirates or Ninjas or soon enough, Usama Bin Laden’s Al Quaeda and stick the ‘Assassins’ label on them or desperately relate the “assassin” to them, then no. It’s going to be another step outside the AC zone.

Let’s go back in time before Ezio. Let’s play as an assassin using his skills not his weapons, not his recruits, not anything fancy like that. Lets do free running, lets try poison instead of hidden blades or daggers perhaps. Let the game be something original like the first game was, like ACII was, like AC:Brotherhood’s present day was, like AC:Brahman comic book is. Lets stop limiting ourselves between Altair and WWII. And whoever says that ACIV was a “look from the outside at the Assassin’s Creed” is not right because ACIV felt more like a spin-off with some references to the assassins.

I’d love to see AC graphics improved because honestly, for 2 games released on PS3 in it’s later stages, the graphics weren’t that special. Look at Beyond Two Souls and how perfect everything looks in it’s gameplay and cutscenes. Animations need more improvement. Look at Metal Gear Solid V, it’s perfect. ACIV introduced diving, it was good but we only did one main mission there and we didn’t really uncover anything special.

When they announced diving in ACIV, I thought we’re gonna find a piece of eden underwater. Non of that happened. So it feels like Ubisoft introduces a good idea but then fails to continue with it. Just like many loose ends that started long ago and remain untied or were solved in a really cheap way.
Hope u we're joking about al queda because that would break the first tenet and you don't have to say that those who it's outside the assassins creed is wrong and I honestly cared about the story of black flag

RinoTheBouncer
01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Hope u we're joking about al queda because that would break the first tenet and you don't have to say that those who it's outside the assassins creed is wrong and I honestly cared about the story of black flag

I was actually laughing about how Ubisoft is selecting random factions and groups and desperately trying to mask it with the term “Assassins”.

pirate1802
01-07-2014, 02:57 PM
They have been doing that since AC2, nothing new whatsoever.. :rolleyes:

ze_topazio
01-07-2014, 03:57 PM
They have been doing it since AC1 actually, they replaced the historical Assassins and Templars with our ficitional Assassins and Templars.

toolen22
01-07-2014, 06:19 PM
The Edward Kenway had those abilities in the story was because he was an experienced Pirate. His climbing abilities, for example, came from years spent climbing and maneuvering amongst the rigging of the ship. His fighting abilities came from the fact that he was an experienced brawler. You'd be surprised how skilled an untrained person can become with a little experience.

toolen22
01-07-2014, 06:46 PM
I was actually laughing about how Ubisoft is selecting random factions and groups and desperately trying to mask it with the term “Assassins”.

They aren't "desperately" choosing factions. I for one love the factions they choose, and think they go well with the beliefs of the Assassin's. Piracy, for example, while certainly not the best lifestyle, allowed people to experience freedom they would not otherwise have. Many former slaves joined up with pirate crews to escape the cruelties of a "civilized" society that viewed them as less than human. Women became pirates to control their own lives in a world dominated by men. I think you should take a closer look at the factions before calling them "random".

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 07:25 AM
The Edward Kenway had those abilities in the story was because he was an experienced Pirate. His climbing abilities, for example, came from years spent climbing and maneuvering amongst the rigging of the ship. His fighting abilities came from the fact that he was an experienced brawler. You'd be surprised how skilled an untrained person can become with a little experience.

Remember The Acrobat from ACR? She was just an ordinary shopkeeper, she never had any training, yet the girl could climb as fast as Ezio without having a hookblade. SO I laugh a little when people suggest that you can't climb fast or fight properly if you aren't an Assassin. As if only assassins can do these things and not anyone else. And ESPECIALLY when there are previous examples of non-assassins being good fighters/climbers in the series itself.

salman147
01-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Who agrees: The game needs branching dynamic storylines...

pirate1802
01-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Nope.