PDA

View Full Version : How about a New Zealand storyline?

kilgh
01-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Can't help but think that a game based during the New Zealand wars (1800s) would be amazing for the following reasons:

A) Southern Ocean sailing!
B) Forests galore.
C )Beaches galore
D) Taiaha (serious weapon as iconic as the Amerindian Tomahawk)
E) Different history that not a lot of people are aware of.
F) Volcanos, mountains, seismic activity, scenic yet treacherously dangerous landscape.
G) Gold Rush era.
H) Multiple different cultures including Maori, Chinese, French, Dutch, Irish, Scottish, English.

Admittedly the hunting on land would be a bit lacking.

Could be amazing though.

EchoFiveKilo
01-05-2014, 09:15 AM
inb4 admin locks thread

I'm not one for ruling out any time period but I dunno, as an Australian myself, I think our two countries wouldn't be as interesting being that there isnt that much history (Australia only has about 200 years or so) and there isnt much conspiracy, politics or conflict that would make it as interesting as the previous AC's have been. Sure, I'd like to see what they can make out of it, but personally there wouldnt be that much to do I'm afraid.

People generally choose their preferred AC settings based on their native country, which period they like the most, which period where their favourite weapons or factions were used, and while that is understandable, it seems Ubi only chooses settings if they can get it to work with the storyline/characters, or if its what THEY or the writers want, or whatever they think will sell the most (pirates) etc, I mean they ruled out Japan even though everyone wants it.

AntWing
01-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Well, the only thing i would love about New Zealand/Australia storyline, would be its nature and atmosphere, but there wasn't anything much going in the past, was it? The English brought their outcasts there, where they began foundations of today's prosperous nation. There is no base for the Templars vs., Assassin's conflict, and not any important events either. And i fear it would resemble AC IV a lot. Not saying i hate it, but i would like a taste of something more "Assassinish" next time.

kilgh
01-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Australia no. But the story of the NZ wars is another thing entirely. Also Australia has a 40,000 year old history. It's only a short European history.

oliacr
01-05-2014, 12:11 PM
New Zealand is beautiful so ...

kilgh
01-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Well, the only thing i would love about New Zealand/Australia storyline, would be its nature and atmosphere, but there wasn't anything much going in the past, was it? The English brought their outcasts there, where they began foundations of today's prosperous nation.

I'm not talking about Australian history. Although you sell that short too.

NZ history is significantly more interesting.

There wouldn't be so many world famous Europeans, no. But there is definitely a basis for intrigue with the French/English competition for ownership. The warring tribes. The Chinese settlers. The Maori history of close combat fighting and their adoption of European technology is very similar to Amerindians.

I think Ubisoft has covered the Northern Hemisphere pretty much. Japan's feudal history would be interesting also, but there is more to explore NZ wise in terms of variety.

itsamea-mario
01-06-2014, 08:34 AM

There wouldn't be so many world famous Europeans, no. But there is definitely a basis for intrigue with the French/English competition for ownership. The warring tribes. The Chinese settlers. The Maori history of close combat fighting and their adoption of European technology is very similar to Amerindians.

I think Ubisoft has covered the Northern Hemisphere pretty much. Japan's feudal history would be interesting also, but there is more to explore NZ wise in terms of variety.

Did you hear that AntWing? he reckons his history's better than yours, you two should fight.

EchoFiveKilo
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Yes it has 40,000 year history, but undocumented Indigenous stuff, I'm sorry but it would be an incredibly boring game to be honest. If it won't sell, Ubi wont make it, nothing can change that.

kilgh
01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Agreed. Australian history wouldn't sell well.

kilgh
01-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Did you hear that AntWing? he reckons his history's better than yours, you two should fight.

Believe me. We always do. It's our culture.

EzioAssassin51
01-06-2014, 02:22 PM

Well that's both subjective and debatable...