PDA

View Full Version : Thank You, Ubisoft!

gabrielmpf
01-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi fellow Pirates!

It's my first time here on the forums, but I felt I had to come here and thank Ubisoft for one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had. Some of you might think this is a bit of an exaggeration, but when you consider some points I reckon it's a fair statement.

First of all, the hype thing. This happens to me a lot. Some games are hyped to the point of exhaustion and when you finally play them they don't live up to your expectations. Here, AC IV excelled and, for the first time in years, a game far exceeded my expectations. I have to confess, I hadn't played an AC game up until the past summer, but after playing AC II I fell in love with the game's concept. The AC games that followed were awesome, but I never got that special feeling back when I first played AC II. That was until I got to play Black Flag and I consider it now my absolute favorite from the AC franchise.

What I loved most about Black Flag was the true feeling of freedom and exploration. I wanted to complete every last little location. I have to say, I loved seeing those yellow icons indicating that a location had been fully explored. Even the little islands with the Animus Fragments and Chests I wanted to visit. I guess this is also the reason why I liked AC II so much. There were all these little cities slightly different from each other. There were different things to see, to explore. It's definitely a better experience than having one single big city.

Compared to AC III there were many improvements in Black Flag that contributed to a more rewarding experience. The pacing was much faster, the story was far more interesting, the location (or should I say locations) were breathtaking. I believe playing in a new machine, in my case the PS4, added to a more satisfying experience, the wow factor. Nevertheless, I don't think that's the prime reason. If you don't have a great game, a new machine is not going to help. I only have one complaint: those "Tail" and "Eavesdrop" missions were sometimes a pain to do. Not because they were hard, but because they're uninteresting and dull.

In the end, Black Flag is definitely the Game of the Year for me. It offered something new, something worth playing and replaying. Black Flag was also the first game in a long time that I finished without ever feeling bored. Yes, the missions stated above were not very good, but as a whole they don't hinder the overall experience. I ended up wishing the map was twice as large with more things to do. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a trilogy set in the same time period and locations, even if it had to be outside of the AC universe. There's something about the sea exploration concept that I wouldn't want to lose anytime soon.

Thank you for reading ;-)

PSN: gabrielmpf

Fatal-Feit
01-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Words cannot explain how entertained I was reading this. AC:IV, regardless of being an annual title, definitely deserved my GOTY too!

The developers really got their groove back with this one.

oliacr
01-04-2014, 04:00 PM
The map twice as large. WHOA maybe in the next game :D

gabrielmpf
01-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Indeed. I know that there's not much more that can be done with this game's map. Just wishful thinking...
I'm quite eager to find out what they have in store for us next. Part of me wants a continuation to the Black Flag's story but I also want to see other locations and time periods. I've read that many people want an AC game set in Feudal Japan and I would actually love it. Definitely my pick if they're doing something different for the next game. I also read elsewhere that there'll be two different games next, one for the PS4 and another for the PS3. I wouldn't want to pick up two games, but if they do one with Black Flag's story and another set in Japan, I might actually get the two. Not sure which one I would choose for the PS4 though...

PedroAntonio2
01-05-2014, 02:02 AM
ACIV is epic. For me, it was way better than GTA V in terms of story and gameplay. Exploring islands, taking down the Legendary Ships, unlock the Mayan and the Templar Armor, hacking all computers, gathering all notes and bottles....the story was epic.

pirate1802
01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
I especially liked those notes in the bottle. They should try that more in the future, take a cue from other games.

ConanTheLeader
01-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Love this game, very good and it's a nice change of character who is this time in it for the money whereas Connor and Ezio for the last several games were on revenge missions.

Mr_Shade
01-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your feedback!

I have passed this onto the team ;)

gabrielmpf
01-06-2014, 09:22 PM
Oh, wow! Thanks! It's awesome to read an official reply. Keep up the great work, guys ;-)

marcbryan
01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Why is there so much emphasis on fast paced games? Do most people have short attention spans? I agree with you on most counts but I'd rather have a lot more story than just gameplay.

pirate1802
01-07-2014, 04:00 AM
Because good pace is generally considered a good thing in action-oriented stories. I don't want to play a game where a character spends 20 hours just to get to Havana and then another 20 to meet the Governor, for example. Good pacing can make a mediocre story seem brilliant and make you invested in it. While bad pacing can make a brilliant story look like crap and make you yawn. Thats why I think there's emphasis on good pacing.