PDA

View Full Version : Something seems wrong in this specific forum

CaptChair
01-04-2014, 05:38 AM
Hi! I'm new around here, so what better way to make friends than ask wtf? Lol

Not here to offend anyone running this forum, but I'm confused...

Sooo this is the DLC forum, right? But... We're not allowed to talk about what DLC we'd like to see in fear that a moderator might take it as a DLC request, and feelings might get hurt or something because rules were broken? Seriously? I don't think mods (or at least hope not) are that sensitive, or that open discussion about what ppl wanna see is a bad thing. Ubi can the gauge what they should invest in... But, it appears that this forum is relegated to DLC tech issues (even though there's already a tech forum), posts that are instantly replied to by a senior member with "beware! The mods may see this as a dlc request", and well... I guess all that's left to post is what DLC they've released that we like...

Kinda makes for an uninteresting forum :(

Tully__
01-04-2014, 05:45 AM
This forum is for discussing DLC already released. For requesting new DLC, please use the procedure outlined in the sticky topic at the top of the forum: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/717135-Official-Rocksmith-Song-Requests-*Updated-11-4-13

Duggle-SD
01-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Yes, I know just what you're saying. They used to have a thread for requests, and when people would make requests they would refer them to the thread, then they did away with that so now we can't see what others are asking for. Somehow it seems to have become a hard and fast rule to never post any kind of dlc request in the forums.

If this is some sort of Ubisoft policy they should at least add it to this rules thread http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/817380-Forum-Rules?

I see the request notice at the top of the DLC area but most new users don't look at that before posting.

dm_gsxr
01-04-2014, 06:37 AM
It's experience I think. If you allow DLC request threads, they take over the forum so you have a hard time reading non DLC request threads. Plus folks get butt-hurt over comments about requests. Just look at the Facebook comments whenever something is posted.

Besides, what would be the point? The Dev's don't pop in here to read the requests. Why waste bandwidth over something that makes no difference in the long run?

Carl

bubka122
01-04-2014, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't mind a sticky DLC request thread or something like that, maybe it would also minimize the sh*t load of new request threads that keeps popping up!

rockstonicus
01-04-2014, 04:26 PM
I don't understand OP's mindset.
-He makes an "How about this for DLC" thread
-Other posters tell him this forum doesn't work like that
-He makes another (whiny) thread to complain about what he considers shouldn't happen, even though he hasn't taken some minutes of his time to lurk enough to know the rules
-Expects a hugbox

Urgh

Greenbrick2
01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Actually, I think he wants one thread, ideally stickied, where the forum goers can organize a mass request in the Facebook app for a particular band or song.

CaptChair
01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
Hmmm actually, my original post was asking IF there were plans, once again, not a request.

Also, this post was because I "lurked" and found that this forum is littered with technical garble (when there's a technical forum), and more dlc requests instantly replied too with "how dare you talk about dlc you would like to see on the dlc forum".

Op's mindset was asking what UBI's big deal is, and why is this forum rly in existence besides to have a circle jerk about dlc already out :)

Butttt your response answers my question tbh. They probably don't actually allow "dlc we would like to see" discussions because of people like you with the "my e-peen is big" I must reply to everything even though I have absolutely 0 value to contribute to the thread, rather gotta try to call ppl out so I can feel internet cool COD mentality :D

CaptChair
01-04-2014, 06:59 PM
I don't care about dlc requests. Holy smokes ppl.

I'm asking what's the forums purpose rly? People can't even go "hey, this would be cool" (which isn't a request, not asking them to add it, just saying it would be cool. UBI gets free ideas lol) without ppl jumping going "ZOMGZ NEWB! U CANT REQUEST TINGZ"

All i see is those exact threads, and tech issues... Which once again has it's own forum. Any relevant threads here could be stickied in other forums -_-

rcole_sooner
01-04-2014, 07:03 PM
The general discussion forum is where you can say bands/songs/artists are cool and post about them all you want. Just don't ask for it to be DLC or ask for it in the game (or if it will ever be in the game .. which is the same question).

This forum is for talking about the current DLC, and a thread to make reasonable guesses about the upcoming DLC. There are also threads to discuss the hint that get released for the upcoming DLC. That is the purpose of this forum.

Steel_Nirvana
01-04-2014, 07:09 PM
I don't care about dlc requests. Holy smokes ppl.

I'm asking what's the forums purpose rly? People can't even go "hey, this would be cool" (which isn't a request, not asking them to add it, just saying it would be cool. UBI gets free ideas lol) without ppl jumping going "ZOMGZ NEWB! U CANT REQUEST TINGZ"

All i see is those exact threads, and tech issues... Which once again has it's own forum. Any relevant threads here could be stickied in other forums -_-

Not sure what language is your primary, but saying, "It would be cool if X," is the same thing as saying, "I want X." When the Godfather says, "I would be indebted to anyone who would rid me of this problem," he's still ordering the hit, even though he doesn't explicitly tell anyone to go kill anyone else.

dm_gsxr
01-04-2014, 07:13 PM
The general discussion forum is where you can say bands/songs/artists are cool and post about them all you want. Just don't ask for it to be DLC or ask for it in the game (or if it will ever be in the game .. which is the same question).

This forum is for talking about the current DLC, and a thread to make reasonable guesses about the upcoming DLC. There are also threads to discuss the hint that get released for the upcoming DLC. That is the purpose of this forum.

And

1. Why can't we buy RS1 DLC on Steam!!!?!?!?!!?!! Ubisoft is forcing us to buy Rocksmith!!! What a ripoff!!!
2. Why doesn't DLC transfer between platforms???!?!??? What a ripoff!!!
3. Why do we have to pay again to transfer RS songs to RS2014?!?!?! What a ripoff!!

:D

Carl

LvlNinety9
01-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Actually they used to have a sticky for a DLC request thread and it got so huge and jumbled it was like wading through a pile of garbage. It was at this point that they created the song request app. We've also been plagued with DLC request threads that when we started to try to have discussions about the upcoming hint or the content already released that it would get lost in the sea of requests. Personally I prefer it this way as having to trudge through all the "We need some Zep, AC/DC, Metallica, etc etc" threads was starting to become mind numbing. Plus seeing the same threads over and over again got a bit ridiculous.

Steel_Nirvana
01-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Actually they used to have a sticky for a DLC request thread and it got so huge and jumbled it was like wading through a pile of garbage. It was at this point that they created the song request app. We've also been plagued with DLC request threads that when we started to try to have discussions about the upcoming hint or the content already released that it would get lost in the sea of requests. Personally I prefer it this way as having to trudge through all the "We need some Zep, AC/DC, Metallica, etc etc" threads was starting to become mind numbing. Plus seeing the same threads over and over again got a bit ridiculous.

http://youtu.be/VnT7pT6zCcA

CaptChair
01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Not sure what language is your primary, but saying, "It would be cool if X," is the same thing as saying, "I want X." When the Godfather says, "I would be indebted to anyone who would rid me of this problem," he's still ordering the hit, even though he doesn't explicitly tell anyone to go kill anyone else.

It would be cool if I won the lottery

^ that's not a request, it's a statement

/endThread

Lrn2English and jog on :)

Steel_Nirvana
01-05-2014, 04:30 PM
You're trying to split hairs much, much too finely, and context matters. In context of the DLC and this forum, there's no difference whatsoever between saying it would be cool if X DLC were added and actually requesting the DLC explicitly. They're functionally identical. Just like my previous example. "It would be cool if it snowed," isn't a request, since it's not possible to request snow, whereas, "It would be cool if you bought me a beer," is a request, but phrased obliquely.

Do you really think, after disallowing DLC requests because of all the spam and acrimony, the forum should allow a loophole for requests phrased obliquely, so we can instead have a bunch of spam and arguments over which DLC would be cool to have?

JobuuRumdrinker
01-06-2014, 08:07 PM
It's probably for tracking the songs requests and number of people easier by that other site than sifting through a message board. That's my guess.

LexarNoonan
01-06-2014, 11:10 PM
It stinks we're expected to sign up to faceborg just to talk dlc, I just wanted to say I'd hoped for a couple of Christmas songs -maybe in time for the next one?

dm_gsxr
01-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Actually it points to a form which might actually be a face to a Ubisoft server. I've looked at it on my iPad but haven't tried to see if there's a unique website for that information.

Carl

Teh_Barbarian
01-06-2014, 11:51 PM
OP, I am behind you 100%. It seems ridiculous to me that this is a Discussion Forum, yet we can't really discuss such a big aspect of the game. I am not saying I wish we can go ahead and fill up the forum with requests, since I understand that is annoying (however, some of the attitudes in this forum are more annoying, such as the name calling, the down talk and the bigotry a lot of you common posters tend to have) Yet somehow, if you make a slight hint to a song that is not in the game, you are suddenly in the People's Republic of DLC Requests, and the DLC military is right up your *** as if you are some kind of DLC felon.

I don't recall anyone's balls being busted for requesting features which are not yet in the game. We can all voice our opinions can't we? Even if they stink.

The OP is right in saying that this is F'd up, and it is always good to point out the F'd up things in society and try to correct them.

Cheers and rock on

Steel_Nirvana
01-07-2014, 03:59 AM
Except this isn't society, and you don't get a vote. It's a web site and forum run by a business who has set rules. So if you don't like those rules, your options are to 1) go elsewhere or 2) send a note to the Powers That Be and hope they like your politely-worded suggestion for change. If you really, really, really, really think terrible social injustice is being committed, you also have the option to go somewhere else and try to organize a counter-movement. If you take that route, though, you should brush up on your law and probably have a legal team on speed dial. Think of this as a store, where the shopkeeper gets to set the rules of behavior, e.g., "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service." While you may think barefoot shirtlessness is the only way to shred, you still have to follow the rules in the store.

Popular misconceptions to the contrary, this isn't public space and "free speech" doesn't apply--not that most people whining about it have the foggiest notion what that actually means, anyway. Only on teh interwebz could some random person join an existing community of people and immediately start berating them for not conforming to his preferred norms. :rolleyes: That's not how society works, nor should it be.*

*There are some legal limits to normative behaviors for public or business entities, but those are almost as poorly understood as free speech.

dm_gsxr
01-07-2014, 05:28 AM
But the problem is if DLC requests are permitted, this forum would roll through threads so quickly that any request you posted would disappear off the first page within hours. The metal folks would compete with the blues folks plus country folks. Just look at the Facebook site. Even with the Aerosmith post, there are half the folks pissing about Aerosmith. Folks who don't want new Aerosmith. Folks who wanted Slipknot or Metallica or GnR or any number of little known metal acts. Folks who don't think Disturbed is metal enough. And more.

And it's all wasted bits. The devs aren't looking at Facebook or here for which songs to try for next. They have the song request page which management has likely told the licensing guy to monitor, maybe.

You can rant and complain all you want. Who's paying attention? Other Rocksmith players. The forum moderators, but only if brought to their attention. I don't enen know if the standard mods even play. I think rcole_sooner is the only actual guitar playing mod here. And he's following the general rules to prevent DLC request threads as pointed out in the sticky.

Carl

rcole_sooner
01-07-2014, 05:52 AM
+1

Well said.

DogSuru
01-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Just FYI, you do NOT need a Facebook account, or need to sign into Facebook, to use their DLC request "app". On that Facebook page, just click on the "request a song" icon (regardless of Facebook begging you to log in).

You DO need a Uplay account.

LexarNoonan
01-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Just FYI, you do NOT need a Facebook account, or need to sign into Facebook, to use their DLC request "app". On that Facebook page, just click on the "request a song" icon (regardless of Facebook begging you to log in).

You DO need a Uplay account.

Thanks dude, thought it must require facebook ID because I just couldn't log into it the other day; it must've just been those vicious captchas though, silly me.

Black_Widow9
01-08-2014, 04:17 AM
It's probably for tracking the songs requests and number of people easier by that other site than sifting through a message board. That's my guess.
This X's 1000!

But the problem is if DLC requests are permitted, this forum would roll through threads so quickly that any request you posted would disappear off the first page within hours. The metal folks would compete with the blues folks plus country folks. Just look at the Facebook site. Even with the Aerosmith post, there are half the folks pissing about Aerosmith. Folks who don't want new Aerosmith. Folks who wanted Slipknot or Metallica or GnR or any number of little known metal acts. Folks who don't think Disturbed is metal enough. And more.

And it's all wasted bits. The devs aren't looking at Facebook or here for which songs to try for next. They have the song request page which management has likely told the licensing guy to monitor, maybe.

You can rant and complain all you want. Who's paying attention? Other Rocksmith players. The forum moderators, but only if brought to their attention. I don't enen know if the standard mods even play. I think rcole_sooner is the only actual guitar playing mod here. And he's following the general rules to prevent DLC request threads as pointed out in the sticky.

Carl
Exactly.

This is the purpose of the App. It tracks the requests you guys want in the most efficient way humanly possible and the Developers receive this information. The thread I created when the original Rocksmith was released was insane for me to keep track of but I did and I'm glad I don't have to do it any longer. This is part of the reason they created the Request form for you, to streamline the information.

As others have stated, if we let people create "Rocksmith needs more ____ threads" they will get lost and are not tracked, they take over the board, are repeated and people argue.

You are more than welcome to discuss the released DLC or the hints or any previous DLC that has been released. That is what this Board is for. ;) If you want to just talk about music you can use this one: http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/439-General-Discussion

The only reason people warn new members is so they are aware of how the DLC discussion goes around here and not because they're going to get banned if they mistakenly make a thread.

I hope that clears it up a little. ;)

CrazedRacer
01-08-2014, 04:55 AM
I'll add that, truth be known, I doubt our requests or suggestions mean diddly squat, anyway. If you would request it, the devs have probably already looked into it. If you would request it and no one but you has ever heard of the group, it wouldn't be profitable for Ubi, anyway. Ubi is concerned with one thing - profit. You can bet they know a: their target audience (why do you think we get so much stuff from the 90's?) and b: how much they can spend and still be profitable with DLC. We know none of that, and we don't have a skin in the game, since Ubi's profitability (or lack thereof) doesn't take money out of our pockets or put it in. All that 10,000 request threads would do is drive everyone away because they were tired of seeing the 4,789th thread about adding Metallica.

LexarNoonan
01-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Having a form for requests is only sensible and all but I just wish Ubi were more open about what is and isn't possible. Which labels, publishers and artists they have good relationships with, which they don't...

rcole_sooner
01-08-2014, 04:32 PM
I bet they wished that too. ;)

rapplebee
01-08-2014, 04:55 PM
I bet they wished that too. ;)

Undoubtedly! :)

VarriusTX
01-08-2014, 05:05 PM
I'm actually going to agree with the OP here. This sub-forum seems pointless if we can't discuss what DLC we would like to see. Perhaps the mods have learned from past experience, and that's why it isn't allowed, but it seems silly. At least a sticky thread a million miles long with everyone's request would give people a place to voice their opinion.

VarriusTX
01-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Ok so, I didn't finish reading the thread before I replied. I suppose it makes sense to have a better way to track the requests by using an app instead of having a forum cluttered with requests threads. But, I still don't see much point in this sub-forum if it isn't allowed. Perhaps a locked sub-forum with one thread pointing to the request app :)

rcole_sooner
01-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Maybe to talk about the existing DLC? ;)

...and to speculate about the upcoming DLC, based on the hints given by various parties that are in-the-know.

Marauder359
01-08-2014, 07:40 PM
A sticky topic, or, better yet, a graphic link at the top of every forum would go a long way toward directing people better to the facebook app.

That said, if the purpose of this subforum is to discuss DLC already out, where are we supposed to discuss on disc songs already out? Or to speculate reasonably about future on disc songs? See, that makes the specificity of this forum kind of silly.

I do agree, a thousand "Get X for DLC" threads is not the answer... Why not move all music discussion into the general discussion forum? And there you could have a thread, not stickied, that could discuss music, bands, etc that people want in the game... a discussion, not a list of what they want. That would still be handled by the facebook app and new threads would still be locked down, but they would be sent to facebook to express what they want, and our own general discussion subforum thread to talk with others about that... again, not a list, but a discussion...

This OP doesn't seem to want to be able to simply list songs or artists he wants as DLC, but to talk about and with the other members about the songs and artists we all want as DLC... which is different from just talking about the bands... So, I think getting rid of this forum, moving all of the discussion from here to the general discussion forum, having a graphic link on all RS pages to the FB app, and having a single discussion thread about DLC desires would solve the whole thing and possibly curtail the closings/deletings and the ire from those who are just trying to talk about an artist they want to talk about in the context of DLC.

Just a thought.

rcole_sooner
01-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Future on disc songs? :confused:

Marauder359
01-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Future on disc songs? :confused:

Well, I'm glad that's what you came away with. lol

But yeah, RS1 had a disc. RS2014 has a disc. I suppose it is presumptive of me to assume that one day there will be another RS and that at that point in time humans will still be using discs.... but yeah... Future on disc songs. :)

rcole_sooner
01-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Ah....

Well we try to downplay too much talk about future (and past) versions of the game too. We limited talk about the next version of Rocksmith, until it was officially announced.

Otherwise that is no different, we get tons of songs/bands and feature requests. So much so that talk about the current game gets lost in the traffic.

So, in that spirit, no we don't want requests or speculation about future on disc songs either.

Marauder359
01-08-2014, 09:46 PM
So much so that talk about the current game gets lost in the traffic.

Riiiight, and that would apply to the general discussion forum how? Since that forum isn't really supposed to be a discussion about Rocksmith, one wonders how discussing music in the context of RS DLC would detract from RS in a forum not previously about RS...

Saving you and your cadre time and providing this forum with a more constructive outlet that isn't seen as fascist, which has been a comment from at least 3 individuals I've seen in the last 2 weeks, was just a suggestion. Quite frankly, I rather enjoy the fascism..... And, you seem to think the current way is the best, and seem rather put out by even the discussion, so nevermind.

rcole_sooner
01-08-2014, 09:50 PM
This is no longer the Rock On forum, it is now the Rocksmith DLC forum.

General music discussion goes in the General Discussion forum. Which I will still be limited from much future game version discussion to not confuse the current game information.

RQuite frankly, I rather enjoy the fascism.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtYU87QNjPw

Marauder359
01-08-2014, 10:11 PM
lol exactly.

Oldmanjoe505
01-10-2014, 08:02 PM
This X's 1000!

Exactly.

This is the purpose of the App. It tracks the requests you guys want in the most efficient way humanly possible and the Developers receive this information. The thread I created when the original Rocksmith was released was insane for me to keep track of but I did and I'm glad I don't have to do it any longer. This is part of the reason they created the Request form for you, to streamline the information.

As others have stated, if we let people create "Rocksmith needs more ____ threads" they will get lost and are not tracked, they take over the board, are repeated and people argue.

You are more than welcome to discuss the released DLC or the hints or any previous DLC that has been released. That is what this Board is for. ;) If you want to just talk about music you can use this one: http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/439-General-Discussion

The only reason people warn new members is so they are aware of how the DLC discussion goes around here and not because they're going to get banned if they mistakenly make a thread.

I hope that clears it up a little. ;)

How about a little compromise, and throw the users a bone.
You have all this information that you collect through your app, can't you share some of it? What if you posted in a locked thread the top 25 DLC requests of the week or month?
If I see everyone is requesting Led Zeppelin, I might not submit a Zeppelin request. But as far as I know nobody has, so I will. right? Maybe it will spur others on to say , yeah, I forgot about that tune, I'll vote for that one too because I really would like to learn it. Give the people who are taking their time to visit your website a bit of a clue.

Steel_Nirvana
01-10-2014, 08:16 PM
There's really nothing good that can come of that. There's no necessary connection between what people want and Ubisoft's ability to negotiate the rights. So if they tell us what they're trying to work, they risk souring the deal or backlash if the deal doesn't go through, and if they tell us the most popular requests, you either get people arguing about them or whining if the license doesn't pan out.

Look at it from Ubisoft's perspective; they've got little or nothing to gain by showing us the inner workings.

Marauder359
01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Not to mention, in your description right there you showcase why it's not a particularly good idea. If people want artist X, and thus artist X is the most requested artist, and they were to showcase that reality, by your own admission, you might not ask for artist X. If the requests are being artificially skewed away from the artists from last month, or however it would update, then what good is it?