PDA

View Full Version : What is the future of Assassin's Creed?

AntWing
01-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Hey guys, i just started a new gaming blog and fired it off with a thinking about the setting of new AC game/s. If you have the time, i would love you to take a look at it and let me know, what you thought about it.

http://indigogaming.blogspot.com/

Thanks.

RinoTheBouncer
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
To keep selling mainstream games desperately linked to the assassins theme and deeply focused on acting like a historical Grand Theft Auto and Multiplayer until people get tired of it and it becomes another Resident Evil. A Call of Duty and GTA wanna be. You see? from an original masterpiece to a GTA and CoD wanna be. That’s sad, Ubisoft. I feel sorry for you.

Great blog idea, btw.

AntWing
01-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Well, as long as they keep it fresh and people will not tire from their basic mechanisms, it will sell. And that will be only after few mor AC's hit the market.

Thx. :D

AssassinHMS
01-03-2014, 09:39 PM
To keep selling mainstream games desperately linked to the assassins theme and deeply focused on acting like a historical Grand Theft Auto and Multiplayer until people get tired of it and it becomes another Resident Evil. A Call of Duty and GTA wanna be. You see? from an original masterpiece to a GTA and CoD wanna be. That’s sad, Ubisoft. I feel sorry for you.

Great blog idea, btw.

Exactly! Well said!

Hans684
01-03-2014, 10:15 PM
The combat, navigation will more or less be the same, stealth goes in all directions and a massive rescope is incoming. The game director of AC3 will return(going to Canada(source: AccsesTheAnimus theire source: his Facebook))
Most likely no more naval(gamble), not gonna stop yearly releases(like GTA who was from 1997 to 2009(longer than AC for now) but not like COD who is still yearly, source: http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto), two unannounced AC games in development as we speak etc..that's all i remember.

RinoTheBouncer
01-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Exactly! Well said!

Thank you :)

It’s really sad but if they keep walking on this line, there will be no other ending than what I predicted. I’ve seen it before with numerous franchise. From Darby’s justifications to favoring quantity over quality, the outcome is obvious.

oliacr
01-03-2014, 10:47 PM

Great blog idea, btw.
Sorry for you, if you feel this.

RinoTheBouncer
01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Sorry for you, if you feel this.

I’ve seen it all before. I WISHHHHHH I turn out to be wrong.

inferno33222
01-04-2014, 12:06 AM
Haha good blog, but I must say, even though it's a blog, try to capitalize all of your I's! It's a tad grammar-nazi-ish, I know, but I think that formal and proper language is key to having a lasting impression. You don't want to appear like a twelve year-old with a keyboard (not that you do :D.)

killzab
01-04-2014, 12:08 AM
The combat, navigation will more or less be the same, stealth goes in all directions and a massive rescope is incoming. The game director of AC3 will return(going to Canada(source: AccsesTheAnimus theire source: his Facebook))
Most likely no more naval(gamble), not gonna stop yearly releases(like GTA who was from 1997 to 2009(longer than AC for now) but not like COD who is still yearly, source: http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto), two unannounced AC games in development as we speak etc..that's all i remember.

WTF ? Noooooo not Hutchinson OMG ...

PedroAntonio2
01-04-2014, 12:48 AM
I don't want to be offensive, but I sincerily HATE Darby Mcdeviit. He knows how to write great stories, but the things he says like '' Gameplay is more important than story, quantity over quality. '' And he is ruining Modern Days Storylne with that First Person Non-named character withou a face or a voice. PLEASE, bring Corey May back...he is one of the creators of Assassin's Creed, he wrote ACI, ACII and ACIII.

PedroAntonio2
01-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Hutchinson ? The guy who said the game would bring great battles with thousands of people in the battlefield, Glyphs would return, lakes and rivers would freeze in the Winter and the list goes on ? Unless they give him a Truth Serum while he is on a interview, I'm okay with his return. But Ashraf Ismail >>>>>>>>>>any other AC creative director.

killzab
01-04-2014, 12:55 AM
I don't want to be offensive, but I sincerily HATE Darby Mcdeviit. He knows how to write great stories, but the things he says like '' Gameplay is more important than story, quantity over quality. '' And he is ruining Modern Days Storylne with that First Person Non-named character withou a face or a voice. PLEASE, bring Corey May back...he is one of the creators of Assassin's Creed, he wrote ACI, ACII and ACIII.

I know how you feel ... but Corey is writing the next AC, don't worry, they "alternate". Darby will write ACVI.

Subject J80
01-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Hutchinson ? The guy who said the game would bring great battles with thousands of people in the battlefield, Glyphs would return, lakes and rivers would freeze in the Winter and the list goes on ? Unless they give him a Truth Serum while he is on a interview, I'm okay with his return. But Ashraf Ismail >>>>>>>>>>any other AC creative director.

I still like Mr. Hutchinson. Nice bloke, never did anything wrong to me. Made my fav AC game. Lets not forget they had to cut loads from ACIII.

ze_topazio
01-04-2014, 02:17 AM

Well, he's right, AC are videogames after all.

Hutchinson, AC3 director, the guy that thought it was a good idea to make everything linear and turn the assassinations, this franchise main point, in to QTE, among other problems, keep that man away.

PedroAntonio2
01-04-2014, 03:11 AM
I know how you feel ... but Corey is writing the next AC, don't worry, they "alternate". Darby will write ACVI.

Really ? It is confirmed that Corey is back ?

PedroAntonio2
01-04-2014, 03:13 AM
I prefer Patrice Désilets and Ashraf Ismail, two charismatic persons who didn't make fake promises about their games. Alex was charismatic at the Comic-Con event, but he is a liar...

Jayden26
01-04-2014, 05:32 AM
Why is everyone against an Australian AC setting? Racist much>

SixKeys
01-04-2014, 06:08 AM

Corey isn't even working on AC anymore. He's got a new job title. As for Darby, I think he's the lead writer now, but nothing's been confirmed regarding his involvement in the next few games. They could bring back Jeffrey Yohalem or someone completely new.

roostersrule2
01-04-2014, 06:28 AM
BRING BACK PATRICE!!!!

Seriously though Darby's work has flaws, his stories and writing are alright but he could do better IMO.

Corey is still our best writer, too bad he isn't on AC anymore.

DinoSteve1
01-04-2014, 07:00 AM

Most gamers will play a game with great gameplay and a poor story, but there are very few gamers who will stick with a game with bad gameplay and a great story. If your gameplay isn't at least fun there is no point in releasing the game. While AC's combat isn't the most complicated and perfected out there, it at its core is still fun.

JumpInTheFire13
01-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Patrice and Corey made the first two and those are the best two in my opinion, so I think my preferences are bit obvious

killzab
01-04-2014, 10:20 AM
BRING BACK PATRICE!!!!

Seriously though Darby's work has flaws, his stories and writing are alright but he could do better IMO.

Corey is still our best writer, too bad he isn't on AC anymore.

Yeah well I got used to the idea that AC will never be what it used to be anymore. They're gonna keep spewing AC games out. I mean, ACIV's story was the least relevant of all games. A glorified side-story.

If at least Darby was humble I wouldn't be so mad about it.

Shahkulu101
01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Yeah well I got used to the idea that AC will never be what it used to be anymore. They're gonna keep spewing AC games out. I mean, ACIV's story was the least relevant of all games. A glorified side-story.

It was relevant to the beginning of a new arc that started after AC3. The old arc, I'll admit, was messed up. There was potential but it all got squandered as they failed to adress plot points well and started making it up as they went along.

At least give this new arc a chance. And stop talking about Darby like he's the antichrist - at least he's up front and doesn't give us blurred lines.

Fatal-Feit
01-04-2014, 11:16 AM

I think AC:IV is a whole lot more relevant than AC:2 and AC:B combined. Lol

Hans684
01-04-2014, 11:48 AM

Corey never left, he is AC overlord now. After Darby wrote the story then Corey reads it and chooses if it is good or not. If he still write main games I don't know.

killzab
01-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Wrong, factually.

souNdwAve89
01-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Wow, this thread is interesting because I didn't know any of this. I thought Corey May left Ubisoft to work for Warner Brothers Montreal. I know that he wrote the story for the latest Batman Arkham Origins, which I loved :D. But yeah, I agree with others members that Ashraf Ismail and Patrice Desilets were great Creative Directors. I love watching interviews of Ashraf because he always had a smile on his face and sounded very passionate about the game. I'm about 10 hours into AC4 and I'm loving it so far. Of course, you can't beat Patrice because AC1 and AC1 were epic games. I know that he helped on Brotherhood which I loved too. I don't dislike Alex Amancio and Alex Hutchinson since I quite enjoyed Revelations and AC3 despite some of the bugs, removed content, and some parts of their respective games felt rushed.

Speaking of Amancio, his Linkedin indicates he's been working on an unannounced game since June 2012, so maybe it's AC related? Of course, it can be another Ubisoft game. I wonder what Jeffrey Yohalem is up to now days? He did a nice job of adding a cool Templar storyline in the multiplayer portion of each AC game. His work on Far Cry 3 was kick *** too.

dxsxhxcx
01-04-2014, 12:44 PM
It was relevant to the beginning of a new arc that started after AC3 Do you really expect the new "us" we'll be getting each new game to have the same relevance/role as Desmond (a unique main protagonist) had?

in AC4 we were nothing but a mere spectator of the events around us, a secondary character with the luck to be in the right place at the right time... and yeah, the old arc could've been better, but how did they fix it? Making it almost completely irrelevant (nice way to "fix" what's broken) to the point that (for the first time) some people failed to see a purpose in use the animus because "we" (the character we control during the modern days) aren't attached enough to the main plot (Juno and whatever they're planning to do with the Sage) like Desmond was during his arc for both stories (the historical and the modern one) complete each other, in AC4 "we" were irrelevant if compared to Desmond relevance to the plot he took part until AC3, before AC4 each new game they released made the story advance with us (in control of Desmond), now it advances without us, because each new game they release we'll take control of a new version of "us" in another role that once again probably will give us (or at least give me) the feeling that we are nothing but a secondary character in the grand scheme of things.

I don't want to watch the story unfold and tell itself, I want to be (a relevant) part of it and take part in it, something that the current role they put me in (as myself) certainly failed to achieve..

ze_topazio
01-04-2014, 01:26 PM

http://lalagif.com/uploads/gifs/198fecd6-picard-double-facepalm-gif-5917.gif

Shahkulu101
01-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Do you really expect the new "us" we'll be getting each new game to have the same relevance/role as Desmond (a unique main protagonist) had?

in AC4 we were nothing but a mere spectator of the events around us, a secondary character with the luck to be in the right place at the right time... and yeah, the old arc could've been better, but how did they fix it? Making it almost completely irrelevant (nice way to "fix" what's broken) to the point that (for the first time) some people failed to see a purpose in use the animus because "we" (the character we control during the modern days) aren't attached enough to the main plot (Juno and whatever they're planning to do with the Sage) like Desmond was during his arc for both stories (the historical and the modern one) complete each other, in AC4 "we" were irrelevant if compared to Desmond relevance to the plot he took part until AC3, before AC4 each new game they released made the story advance with us (in control of Desmond), now it advances without us, because each new game they release we'll take control of a new version of "us" in another role that once again probably will give us (or at least give me) the feeling that we are nothing but a secondary character in the grand scheme of things.

I don't want to watch the story unfold and tell itself, I want to be (a relevant) part of it and take part in it, something that the current role they put me in (as myself) certainly failed to achieve..

It may have felt more relevant, I understand. However, Desmond's storyline felt like a checklist of squandered potential as we churned through the games. With yearly releases, they don't have the time create well-developed arcs with a continuing run of characters and a modern day protagonist - as evidenced by the previous games. Going the route of 'persistent context' is the best from a businesses direction, and suits a larger portion of AC fans that felt Desmond's story detracted from the main game. It's a direction I'm not particularly fond of, but hey-ho.

It's completely silly for people to aim all their criticism towards Darby, who has only came up with a sustainable business idea - when it was not his decision to annualise the series.

SixKeys
01-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Wow, this thread is interesting because I didn't know any of this. I thought Corey May left Ubisoft to work for Warner Brothers Montreal. I know that he wrote the story for the latest Batman Arkham Origins, which I loved :D.

Corey is still working for Ubisoft, he's the head of Alice (http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/2/7/3960084/alice-ubisoft-storytelling-video-games-corey-may-assassins-creed-far-cry), a new studio/department (not sure what it is) that focuses on training script writers or something. He probably does freelance work for other studios now and then like on Batman.

AC1 and AC2 were good but AC3 was of such a wildly different quality compared to those (to put it politely) that it made me wonder just how much Corey May had to do with writing each game. The philosophical dialogue of AC1 has remained unparalleled in the series, making me think that at least some of it may have come from other writers (Patrice or someone else). AC2's story was cliché and less ponderous, but coherent and enjoyable. AC3 was kind of all over the place. It's hard to believe three such different scripts in the same series could all be credited to the same man. I could be wrong of course, I mean no disrespect to Corey. But after AC3 I'm open to other writers stepping up.

Darby has written two games now (ACR and AC4), three if you include the handheld title Bloodlines. AC4 was pretty good but not without faults, and I didn't like the writing for the other two games. Jeffrey Yohalem wrote ACB, the glyph puzzles in AC2 and The Lost Archive DLC in ACR. Personally I liked ACB's story even though it was simplistic, but I recognize its flaws as well. Yohalem's greatest contribution to the series is the sense of mystery and mature themes. He loves to make the player think about issues in the real world like politics, religion and the media. The glyphs were fantastic and made the games feel bigger than they were. TLA ended up very different from what it was originally planned to be due to the director, but it had some interesting ideas that expanded the otherwise disappointing involvement of Subject 16 in ACR. I would like to see Yohalem write another full AC game to properly judge his writing.

dxsxhxcx
01-04-2014, 01:59 PM
It's completely silly for people to aim all their criticism towards Darby, who has only came up with a sustainable business idea - when it was not his decision to annualise the series. I understand why he did what he did, this doesn't mean I have to like it... IMO even with all its flaws and missed opportunities, AC1~AC3 modern day style is better than the current one (in AC4), assuming the presentation will be the same (with the player as the main modern day protagonist)...

Fatal-Feit
01-04-2014, 02:05 PM
I understand why he did what he did, this doesn't mean I have to like it... IMO even with all its flaws and missed opportunities, AC1~AC3 modern day style will always be better than the current one (in AC4), assuming the presentation will be the same (with the player as the main modern day protagonist)...

It'd be funny if the next AC sets modern day in a Telltale fashion. Oh god... I can actually see it happening.

Shahkulu101
01-04-2014, 02:05 PM
I understand why he did what he did, this doesn't mean I have to like it... IMO even with all its flaws and missed opportunities, AC1~AC3 modern day style will always be better than the current one (in AC4), assuming the presentation will be the same (with the player as the main modern day protagonist)...

I'm not the biggest fan of it either, but I'm just saying it's not exclusively Darby's fault - and nobody should be berated for defending their work.

ze_topazio
01-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm no expert on FPSs, but ain't most protagonist on that genre silent? they are just using the same concept but taking it further in order to create the illusion that we, the player, are the character.

Shahkulu101
01-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Corey is still working for Ubisoft, he's the head of Alice (http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/2/7/3960084/alice-ubisoft-storytelling-video-games-corey-may-assassins-creed-far-cry), a new studio/department (not sure what it is) that focuses on training script writers or something. He probably does freelance work for other studios now and then like on Batman.

AC1 and AC2 were good but AC3 was of such a wildly different quality compared to those (to put it politely) that it made me wonder just how much Corey May had to do with writing each game. The philosophical dialogue of AC1 has remained unparalleled in the series, making me think that at least some of it may have come from other writers (Patrice or someone else). AC2's story was cliché and less ponderous, but coherent and enjoyable. AC3 was kind of all over the place. It's hard to believe three such different scripts in the same series could all be credited to the same man. I could be wrong of course, I mean no disrespect to Corey. But after AC3 I'm open to other writers stepping up.

Darby has written two games now (ACR and AC4), three if you include the handheld title Bloodlines. AC4 was pretty good but not without faults, and I didn't like the writing for the other two games. Jeffrey Yohalem wrote ACB, the glyph puzzles in AC2 and The Lost Archive DLC in ACR. Personally I liked ACB's story even though it was simplistic, but I recognize its flaws as well. Yohalem's greatest contribution to the series is the sense of mystery and mature themes. He loves to make the player think about issues in the real world like politics, religion and the media. The glyphs were fantastic and made the games feel bigger than they were. TLA ended up very different from what it was originally planned to be due to the director, but it had some interesting ideas that expanded the otherwise disappointing involvement of Subject 16 in ACR. I would like to see Yohalem write another full AC game to properly judge his writing.

Good points, Yohalem is definitely a great writer - and like you said makes you think about real-life issues through the glyphs and such, but I'm afraid he would go the overly simplistic route for the historical side again. I really wasn't a fan of that, even if it was a good story in it's own right. I think a sense of grey morality is always needed, or at least make us question the actions of the Assassin's. Ezio was pretty much Robin Hood.

He wrote Far Cry 3 as well, which was actually a little overly complex(apparently it was some form of satire which nobody but him understood) - so he's dynamic I guess.

SixKeys
01-04-2014, 02:16 PM
I'm no expert on FPSs, but ain't most protagonist on that genre silent? they are just using the same concept but taking it further in order to create the illusion that we, the player, are the character.

Yep. This was even the inspiration for AC1's framework narrative, which explains why Desmond was considered boring by many people. He was supposed to be a blank slate to represent the player, similar to Half-Life 2 and other FPS games that were popular at the time. Unfortunately AC1 came out around the same time as Uncharted and suddenly people decided they wanted a fully fleshed out character to follow instead of a self-insertion.

dxsxhxcx
01-04-2014, 02:20 PM
It'd be funny if the next AC sets modern day in a Telltale fashion. Oh god... I can actually see it happening.

the Telltale games (The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, the ones I played) are pretty good in deliver what they want to deliver, when I play those games I know I cannot expect an Assassin's Creed kind of game so I don't expect this kind of thing of them and I have a lot of fun playing with the different outcomes my choices lead to, the stories are pretty good too, but now that you mentioned Telltale, IMO the current MD (Modern Day) style would really benefit from the option of multiple choices and (many) different outcomes, while it's not the same as playing as a protagonist like Desmond, it would give much more meaning to "our" role in the game if we were able to shape the story as we pleased, an option to customize our character and choose between 1st and 3rd person would also be nice, but I doubt they would do something like this since they barely have time to write a story set in stone, imagine one with different outcomes...

ps: but just in case they do, they should take tips from The Witcher games as well...

SixKeys
01-04-2014, 02:23 PM
Good points, Yohalem is definitely a great writer - and like you said makes you think about real-life issues through the glyphs and such, but I'm afraid he would go the overly simplistic route for the historical side again. I really wasn't a fan of that, even if it was a good story in it's own right. I think a sense of grey morality is always needed, or at least make us question the actions of the Assassin's. Ezio was pretty much Robin Hood.

Keep in mind that ACB was originally planned to be a part of AC2, so the main plot points were probably planned by Corey. When Ubisoft decided to annualize the series, Yohalem got the unthankful task of expanding what could have been just one or two sequences into a full game.

Shahkulu101
01-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Keep in mind that ACB was originally planned to be a part of AC2, so the main plot points were probably planned by Corey. When Ubisoft decided to annualize the series, Yohalem got the unthankful task of expanding what could have been just one or two sequences into a full game.

Indeed, so it's probably unfair of me to judge him for that then. Since Corey was the one who introduced a more heroic, black and white tale with AC2.

yankeegamergirl
01-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Wow you guys are so knowledgeable on your writers...I'm learning a lot from this thread...thanks op.