PDA

View Full Version : World War 1 setting and ancient ships for naval combat?!

YoungBeard
01-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Just a little heads up. I am new to the forums but have been a long time fan of AC :) Anyways, there were a few things that kept coming to mind. Would a WW1 AC game be a good idea. I know many will say no since that's when guns were most likely used. But after doing some research, pump action/bolt rifles were more popular than the first made machine guns. I think WW1 setting would also be good for a new kind of naval combat setting... maybe? With emphasis on the first types of submarines, etc. it shouldn't take place at the battlefield of WW1, but rather, during the time period of it? If they do that, I think Germany would be a good setting.
Another thought that keeps coming to mind is how will ANY type of naval combat exist if AC were to go to the ancient times? I think naval had been done nearly perfectly in AC4 and IMO, it would be a waste if they let go of the naval aspect completely. I did find some "warships" that they had in the ancient days, which I'm guessing fired arrows since guns probably didn't exist ... but would that be enough for the naval aspect? I'm not saying they should focus on naval combat in an ancient day AC... but I do think that there should be some cool side naval missions (similar to AC3, only not as extensive).... if possible
I'm not saying that these settings or ideas should happen, but if it did happen, do you think it would be a good idea? :cool:

aL_____eX
01-03-2014, 12:56 AM
French Revolution or WW1 + 2 would make solid settings, but there are historical events and places that have so much more potential (like China) and would be so much more unique, than one of these trite topics. So if it happened, I think I would get to like it , but it wouldn't be my first choice.

And if we go to a WW, please not to Germany! I would hate a game playing in my home country, it would be disappointing, no matter how good the game is!

Consus_E
01-03-2014, 01:03 AM
No

RoBg03
01-03-2014, 01:52 AM
ww1 would be interesting, but i don't think they are trying to get that modern. the most often used weapon of a ww1 soldier would have been a bolt action rifle, and the machine guns were nothing you'd carry around....but you still have pistols/repeating rifles and not much in the way of melee weapons. i dunno. maybe they could intensify the stealth factor by making it hard to survive a hail of bullets. when i think of ac though, i think swords, knives, brutal combat. wouldn't want it to become an 'uncharted' style shooter.

YoungBeard
01-03-2014, 01:56 AM
Yeah I see. Maybe France could be good for a WW1 setting? One thing I wouldn't really be too interested in is the use of too many guns. Though there will have to be at least a medium amount of usage in guns if it was WW1. I actually liked the aiming system of the guns in AC4 and I hope they bring it back.

Kagurra
01-03-2014, 02:00 AM
No thanks.

DinoSteve1
01-03-2014, 03:10 AM
No WW2, there is enough WW2 games, and while I love pirating in AC4, enough ships for a while at least.

YoungBeard
01-03-2014, 04:32 AM
No WW2, there is enough WW2 games, and while I love pirating in AC4, enough ships for a while at least.

No, I said WW1, although I'm not making it sound better :P Though now I'm not so sure how it would work. Have you played the Saboteur? It's actually based around WW2 and plays similarly to AC. A WW1/WW2 AC could work like that.
And I was also trying to speculate how a naval combat would work in an ancient day AC... it could work, but I guess plenty of things would have to be limited for the naval aspect and mostly have to be mini side missions

mikeyf1999
01-03-2014, 05:31 AM
No, I said WW1, although I'm not making it sound better :P Though now I'm not so sure how it would work. Have you played the Saboteur? It's actually based around WW2 and plays similarly to AC. A WW1/WW2 AC could work like that.
And I was also trying to speculate how a naval combat would work in an ancient day AC... it could work, but I guess plenty of things would have to be limited for the naval aspect and mostly have to be mini side missions
Or you could play during the days of zheng he

Stealth Gamer92
01-03-2014, 05:48 AM
I think naval had been done nearly perfectly in AC4 and IMO, it would be a waste if they let go of the naval aspect completely. I did find some "warships" that they had in the ancient days, which I'm guessing fired arrows since guns probably didn't exist ... but would that be enough for the naval aspect?

I know in roman fleets the main form of attack was ramming the enemy to disorient or panic the crew Then the soilders would board and kill the enemy crew.

DinoSteve1
01-03-2014, 06:09 AM
I'd love to see a game set around the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria which set off the events of World War I, that whole political mess would be interesting. It would be cool if you had something like the Assassin's failing to stop a war.

Tenacious Thane
01-03-2014, 06:13 AM
here is my 2 cents.

World war I or II is too modern. personally i think the pirate theme is a bit astray.. to me its just not what i think of when i think of assassins creed. i know what you were saying about WW! more bolt action rifles. but.

they fought most of WWI in the trenches and automatic weaponry was a huge part of it... and to top it off bro...

they had airplanes.... LOL

I have been thinkng about other game themes. one that came to mind was The french revolution. i think they could make an amazing game out of that. and i noticed somsone mentioned something about that above me, and yea i like ancient china too. that would be great for the time of zheng he.
it might be cool to do a Inca theme. with fransico Pizarro and everything that happened then
my last idea would be something a little more strange... but they could do a game with a viking theme. and that would add to your naval aspect. since the vikings were good sailors, some believe they discovered america (the east) far before columbus and even Amerigo Vespucci, sometime during 1000 A.D
http://i.imgur.com/FyYg8qp.png
Lots of Potential here.
http://i.imgur.com/IJf43wd.png
and here :)

Kagurra
01-03-2014, 06:17 AM
I don't want the french revolution. I want to go back in time, not forward.

Stealth Gamer92
01-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Viking could be interesting, but weren't they a culture more focused on glory through battle and looked down on assassination or those who practiced the art?

Tenacious Thane
01-03-2014, 06:34 AM
tbh stealth idk much about their culture, but i figured ubisoft would research haha.. but i just thought it would be cool!
and why not french revolution?

that would be a good time theme... ummmm and it wouldnt be going forward in time.

Tenacious Thane
01-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Or you could play during the days of zheng he

I dont know how i missed you saying this. that would be dope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

thats back in time yes?

YoungBeard
01-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Agreed, Vikings could be interesting... but I think it would be somewhat hard to implement everything. I do like the idea of ancient Rome and the idea of some naval battles on it. I know some people are getting tired of the naval aspect, but as long as they put only a few missions and keep the idea of a new type of naval combat system fresh... I think all can go well. Correct me if I'm wrong... but the first types of "guns" were invented in 14th century China? or something similar. I know they made some of the first fireworks thus creating new types of rockets. That could actually be good for fresh new weapons along with some ideas of naval combat if they had any.

Tenacious Thane
01-03-2014, 06:41 AM
@youngbeard.

The ancient chinese may have come up with that. i was watching mythbusters and i learnt of a weapon invented in 13th century china a repeater crossbow.

baraka_BR
01-03-2014, 11:00 AM
AC Shouldn't, and won't, be placed in any XIX or XX century setting.

oliacr
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
world war as an AC setting is too boring.

mikeyf1999
01-03-2014, 06:17 PM
I dont know how i missed you saying this. that would be dope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

thats back in time yes?

If I remember yes it is

YoungBeard
01-03-2014, 06:32 PM
I was looking at the history of firearms and I found very interesting things. Check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_firearm
The first "flamethrower" was invented was called Phalanx-Charging Fire-Gourd which was invented as early as the 14th century. And yes, I think the ancient Chinese did invent the first gun (called the hand canon) and used fireworks as weapons. Ancient Asia also seems to have had quite a history with weapons and what-not.