PDA

View Full Version : Physx optimization?

Voyager456
01-03-2014, 12:25 AM
So does ubisoft have any plans optimizing physx effects properly i tried it yesterday first time just by setting it to low
i lose about 20 fps ROFL i have newer seen physx optimized so poorly and it only affects smoke.
My rig is
i5 4670k-oc to 4.3 ghz
8gb ram 1600 mhz XMP profile
asus gtx 760(1080mhz core/1715 mhz memory)
running on ssd

http://s24.postimg.org/i37qo1udx/AC4_BFSP_2014_01_02_22_15_33_281.jpg
http://s27.postimg.org/nbhzqtykz/AC4_BFSP_2014_01_02_22_15_57_258.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/b7h0xx243/AC4_BFSP_2014_01_02_22_16_58_164.jpg
http://s29.postimg.org/bw870cz1j/AC4_BFSP_2014_01_02_22_16_36_300.jpg

These are some sc with physx on and off and as you can see its a big performance hog much bigger than it should be considering only smoke is affected

YazX_
01-03-2014, 12:34 AM
unfortunately it is a crappy unoptimized port, so when adding extras like physx and other shadow features, the FPS drops are too much, anyway, i dont think there will be a patch to fix performance as its a core problem in AnvilNext engine, as long as Ubisoft is supporting old gen consoles , then keep expecting crappy ports like this.

Voyager456
01-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Yea they sure do need new engine for next gen consoles and pc though i never seen physx so porly implemented
20 fps hit on physx low that is just way too much and i cant see nvidia cooming out with new drivers soon either
i guess i should just get 2 780 ti and shut up:mad:

NATHAN1889
01-03-2014, 02:04 AM
Yeah it's not that great, & I really dont see any difference between PhysX on verses not. Cant tell at all other then framerate drop.

Razrback16
01-03-2014, 06:22 PM
Mine is quite playable, but it will also improve as the gpu manufacturers optimize drivers.

t3mporal
01-04-2014, 05:45 AM
This deserves some serious attention. There's a thread on the official GeForce forums about this as well: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/660850/physx/physx-in-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-causing-low-fps-on-gtx-780/1

It's unreasonable to expect that enabling PhysX would require SLI to be remotely playable...this has never been the case in the past. Those of us with single high end 780-series/TITAN's should be able to expect PhysX to work as well as it has before. Clearly there's a bug here.

Apart from this bug, the game looks good and performs well.

drakkar321
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Yeah it's not that great, & I really dont see any difference between PhysX on verses not. Cant tell at all other then framerate drop.

Visually, the only differences there are with the PhysX turned on is with the smoke. Firearm smoke, smoke from grenades and cannon smoke. It adds a LOT more smoke and also makes it look a darker gray, which looks less realistic in my opinion. I personally think there is more than enough smoke already without the PhysX on, and prefer the way it looks normally. As someone that has owned/fired a blackpower pistol, I find the regular effect looks a lot more real. The ridiculous amount of smoke with PhysX also makes it a lot more difficult to see what is going on in combat. I think it looks neat for a minute or so, then it just gets in the way lol. I am sure though that there are some people out there that like the way it looks, but unless you really prefer it, I would just disable it.

YazX_
01-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Visually, the only differences there are with the PhysX turned on is with the smoke. Firearm smoke, smoke from grenades and cannon smoke. It adds a LOT more smoke and also makes it look a darker gray, which looks less realistic in my opinion. I personally think there is more than enough smoke already without the PhysX on, and prefer the way it looks normally. As someone that has owned/fired a blackpower pistol, I find the regular effect looks a lot more real. The ridiculous amount of smoke with PhysX also makes it a lot more difficult to see what is going on in combat. I think it looks neat for a minute or so, then it just gets in the way lol. I am sure though that there are some people out there that like the way it looks, but unless you really prefer it, I would just disable it.

well its a user preference, i like it even if i couldnt see a *hit but definitely dont like the 20 FPS drop, its more realistic considering the era that the game was built on, but there should be an option to completely disable it to match all kind of tastes (yes there is Off in options but it does nothing).

strigoi1958
01-05-2014, 11:08 PM
for me I am not a huge fan of the extra smoke but if it's an available option then everyone should be entitled to decide whether they want to run it or not. I think Nvidia need to work on it a little longer as it's a bit unfair to dangle a prize in front of people that doesn't work for all. It's not a ubi problem as far as I'm concerned it's Nvidia for not testing it, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Fatal-Feit
01-06-2014, 03:22 AM
Setting it on low drops my FPS by 10-15. It's definitely not worth enabling.

b00gjuice
01-07-2014, 12:50 AM
I have a GTX 780ti and a 650ti dedicated for physx and I don't get any slowdowns at all and the smoke looks great. Even a cheap GT 640 should work good for dedicated phyx. Although adding a physx card could set your main GPU to X8 PCIE if you are using a non "-E" intel processor. I don't know how AMD PCI-E lanes work.

t3mporal
01-08-2014, 10:23 PM
I have a GTX 780ti and a 650ti dedicated for physx and I don't get any slowdowns at all and the smoke looks great. Even a cheap GT 640 should work good for dedicated phyx. Although adding a physx card could set your main GPU to X8 PCIE if you are using a non "-E" intel processor. I don't know how AMD PCI-E lanes work.

Could you do some fraps frame rate comparisons with the dedicated card, and with the PhysX forced on your main GPU? I've been considering getting a card for dedicated PhysX, but it seems like whenever anyone runs the numbers, the dedicated card hardly helps at all.

Gold31415
02-13-2014, 03:38 AM
Could you do some fraps frame rate comparisons with the dedicated card, and with the PhysX forced on your main GPU? I've been considering getting a card for dedicated PhysX, but it seems like whenever anyone runs the numbers, the dedicated card hardly helps at all.

A lot of people with one or two posts come on here claiming that physx works just great on Ubisoft titles, out of the box or with a "backup" 670 that you have "lying around" just for physx.

Then they leave and we never hear from them again.

I think you know who they work for.

But a simple google search for ac4 and physx fps will show you that Ubisoft dropped the ball on this one.