PDA

View Full Version : My only issue with Black Flag

Thrawn2034
01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
I love this game and I believe that is the best in the series, but I have one problem with it. The jackdaw is to small of a ship. I was hoping to upgrade to a bigger type of ship the more famous and richer I become, but all I see is being stuck with a small brig. I don't get it, in the mobile game you can get a man-o-war. I feel the game would have been better if the devs would have allow us to upgrade to a bigger ship as the game progressed.

funnyman44
01-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I would like to have chosen between all the different ships.
Brig: faster but less cargo space
Frigate: in the middle
Galleon: slower but much more cargo space, also more mass would allow it to ram harder (it would have to get up to speed of course)

ST7A Bad Karma
01-01-2014, 07:09 PM
I was also hoping I'd be able to upgrade to at least a Frigate. However, the overall problem of your ship becoming too overpowered very early in the game would still remain. All challenge leaves the ship to ship part of the game if you upgrade your ship as the upgrades become available.

AI/enemy ships should all scale/upgrade as you upgrade your ship, especially pirate hunters. The cost of upgrading your ship, repairing your ship, and recruiting crew was way too cheap. Ship repairs at sea was too easy, and you shouldnt be able to repair your ship to 100% at sea.

They could have also gone very deep into ship customization and ship to ship combat.

- Upgraded/heavier hull would give you increased resistance to damage, but would also slow down your ship incrementally.
- Different type sails for either more speed, or more maneuverability, other sails with a "balanced" speed/maneuverability rating.
- Increasing the number of cannons on your ship should decrease your overall speed, as well as reduce your maneuverability.
- Ability to upgrade to heavier short range cannons. More firepower with slower reload times.
- Ability to upgrade to cannons with longer range, medium firepower with longer reload times.
- Increasing the number of spare ammo you carry should slow your ship down. You're carrying more weight = reduced speed. As you expend mortar rounds, fire barrels, in a battle at sea you're ship speeds up due to the fact you're carrying less weight.
- Add an option to dump 1/2 of your cannons, all spare ammo to increase overall speed in emergency situations.
- If you ship is sunk at sea, you should lose all of your cargo.
- Spare cargo(metal, wood, cloth) can be stored at your base/warehouse in Inagua. You have to pay $$ and build your warehouse at your base before being able to use this option.
- Multiple customization options for the outfits and colors your crew wears.

IWGCJoeCool
01-01-2014, 10:51 PM
I was also hoping I'd be able to upgrade to at least a Frigate. However, the overall problem of your ship becoming too overpowered very early in the game would still remain. All challenge leaves the ship to ship part of the game if you upgrade your ship as the upgrades become available.

AI/enemy ships should all scale/upgrade as you upgrade your ship, especially pirate hunters. The cost of upgrading your ship, repairing your ship, and recruiting crew was way too cheap. Ship repairs at sea was too easy, and you shouldnt be able to repair your ship to 100% at sea.

They could have also gone very deep into ship customization and ship to ship combat.

- Upgraded/heavier hull would give you increased resistance to damage, but would also slow down your ship incrementally.
- Different type sails for either more speed, or more maneuverability, other sails with a "balanced" speed/maneuverability rating.
- Increasing the number of cannons on your ship should decrease your overall speed, as well as reduce your maneuverability.
- Ability to upgrade to heavier short range cannons. More firepower with slower reload times.
- Ability to upgrade to cannons with longer range, medium firepower with longer reload times.
- Increasing the number of spare ammo you carry should slow your ship down. You're carrying more weight = reduced speed. As you expend mortar rounds, fire barrels, in a battle at sea you're ship speeds up due to the fact you're carrying less weight.
- Add an option to dump 1/2 of your cannons, all spare ammo to increase overall speed in emergency situations.
- If you ship is sunk at sea, you should lose all of your cargo.
- Spare cargo(metal, wood, cloth) can be stored at your base/warehouse in Inagua. You have to pay $$ and build your warehouse at your base before being able to use this option.
- Multiple customization options for the outfits and colors your crew wears.

all great...fantastic ideas for a truely immersive seafaring/pirate game in the 18th century, but IMHO, not good for an AC game whose root should stay in the complexities of land/terrain/buildings environment based on movement and stealth. maybe the talked about Ubi Pirate game would expand the naval to the levels you suggest, cuz afterall, there isnt any more complexity to that than there is/was for Ezio/Connor/Edward to build/expand dens, homesteads, etc.

EzioAssassin51
01-02-2014, 12:56 AM
The cost of upgrading your ship, repairing your ship, and recruiting crew was way too cheap. Ship repairs at sea was too easy, and you shouldnt be able to repair your ship to 100% at sea.

While I agree that it should be more difficult by not being able to 100% repair your ship, but at the same time, even at full health, the naval could get difficult if you were surrounded. Sometimes I've survived a battle with only a little bit of health left. So, I'm not too worried about that.

But also, I disagree that upgrading the ship was too cheap. That was so expensive! it made the game more balanced though, since you couldn't upgrade your ship fully in 5 minutes. It legitimately took nearly all of the game (story-wise) to upgrade the ship, or at least that's how I experienced it. In other words, it took about 10-20 hours rather than 1-2 to be able to fully upgrade you ship.

Thrawn2034
01-02-2014, 05:17 AM
Galleon: slower but much more cargo space, also more mass would allow it to ram harder (it would have to get up to speed of course)

I wish the developers consider this for the next dlc.

Thrawn2034
01-02-2014, 05:47 AM
The developers should consider doing two more games with Edward Kenway and exploit the pirate era just like they did with Ezio. I liked black flag that much. It would be a crime if Ubisoft makes only one game on the pirate era.

MnemonicSyntax
01-02-2014, 05:47 AM
It's too late for anything like this to be considered for Black Flag. Perhaps the next game.

Stealth Gamer92
01-02-2014, 05:51 AM

I like this idea except for it doesn't include Schooners. I also think the Man O' War should have less cargo space and more ammo storage with a permanent minimum wanted level set at 3 due to it being s a war ship.

phoenix-force411
01-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Yeah, but all you have is a Brig, which is a bummer. It goes from Gunboat, Schooner, Brig, Frigate, Man O' War, to Legendary Ships. So, you're kinda in the middle. Still I wanted to be a Man O' War with Legendary Ships' God ram and Mortars.

Thrawn2034
01-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Yeah, but all you have is a Brig, which is a bummer. It goes from Gunboat, Schooner, Brig, Frigate, Man O' War, to Legendary Ships. So, you're kinda in the middle. Still I wanted to be a Man O' War with Legendary Ships' God ram and Mortars.

I agree

marcbryan
01-04-2014, 01:47 AM
The developers should consider doing two more games with Edward Kenway and exploit the pirate era just like they did with Ezio. I liked black flag that much. It would be a crime if Ubisoft makes only one game on the pirate era.

Agreed. The fact they have ceased developing new stories with the newer assassins sort of makes me dislike Ezio more. Just whining. You know.

Subject J80
01-04-2014, 02:27 AM
Too much water. Sailing the seas on my third play-through got a bit boring. I'm a large city man myself.

LoyalACFan
01-04-2014, 05:23 AM

God no. No more Edward games, that would be milking him to the extreme. The most I'd want to see of him is another story DLC for Black Flag, but I doubt that will happen.

Take heart, though, according to a recent market survey, Ubisoft is considering making a whole pirate franchise outside AC.

pipwren
01-04-2014, 09:35 AM
You have finished this game 3 times, that's great mate, maybe you can answer my Q. How do I cross over to the lower part of the map??
Thanks.
Phil.

Fatal-Feit
01-04-2014, 11:31 AM
God no. No more Edward games, that would be milking him to the extreme. The most I'd want to see of him is another story DLC for Black Flag, but I doubt that will happen.

Agreed.

And Edward doesn't necessarily need an expansion completely relevant to the story. It would be cool to have another DLC about some of his random adventures chasing a specific Templar or treasure like what AC:3 have done with Captain Kidd's treasures. For a game about riches, I found the amount of treasure exploration and adventures very underwhelming compared to AC:3.

Mr.Faulkner and Connor had twice as much chemistry and screentime than Adewale and Edward have ever shared. I want that reversed. :(

Subject J80
01-04-2014, 03:05 PM
You have finished this game 3 times, that's great mate, maybe you can answer my Q. How do I cross over to the lower part of the map??
Thanks.
Phil.

Explain? Where do you need to get to on the map? What location?

pirate1802
01-06-2014, 02:10 PM

Take heart, though, according to a recent market survey, Ubisoft is considering making a whole pirate franchise outside AC.

Yeah.. ever since Ezio times people expect to see an assassin's life from his first breath to last. Whatever happened to the idea of a new assassin for every game? I think that would keep some amount of freshness in each new game.

BUT.. if they DO make another Brothehood-type Edward game set in London after AC4... I'd abandon my reservations about repeating protags and be all over it. As it stands though, Edwad's story is complete and doesnt need more games. So I'd rather have another new protag next game.

Btw I think Ubi making separate pirate franchise is a good direction. I didn't want naval to become a permanent feature in AC games from now on yet at the same time the naval mechanics are too good to ditch after a couple of games. So why not make a seperate franchise?

aL_____eX
01-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks.
Phil.
If you talk about Kingston, there are some fast travel boats at the beach. Use one and you will travel to the other part of the map. Or you swim over. ;)

Nitrotoluene
01-26-2014, 07:44 AM
The only thing that annoys me about AC4 is the number of splash screens at the start-up, there are 6 I think. The most annoying is the one telling us that it was developed by 'a multicultural team of different faiths and religious beliefs". Why make a point of telling me that? Every sizable game software company is made up of people from different races, cultures, faiths and beliefs. So what? Am I now supposed to behave or play the game differently knowing that? Reminds me of those pointless "Baby on board" stickers you see on car windows.

MeMckee
01-26-2014, 08:02 AM
The only thing that annoys me about AC4 is the number of splash screens at the start-up, there are 6 I think. The most annoying is the one telling us that it was developed by 'a multicultural team of different faiths and religious beliefs". Why make a point of telling me that? Every sizable game software company is made up of people from different races, cultures, faiths and beliefs. So what? Am I now supposed to behave or play the game differently knowing that? Reminds me of those pointless "Baby on board" stickers you see on car windows.

This has been on every single one of the AC games. It's a point of pride for Ubi.....or an attempt to be as PC as possible given the fact that the games usually center around killing large numbers of people. Can't have people thinking that the games are designed to let us kill any one group in particular now can we? Shucks no. We're equal opportunity murderers.

LoyalACFan
01-26-2014, 08:04 AM
The only thing that annoys me about AC4 is the number of splash screens at the start-up, there are 6 I think. The most annoying is the one telling us that it was developed by 'a multicultural team of different faiths and religious beliefs". Why make a point of telling me that?

Because the first game starred an Arab terrorist who murdered Western Christian crusaders, and later created a manifesto which denounced religion and favored vigilante justice. That's obviously a twisted spin on it, but that was the controversy at the time. They've had the "we're super tolerant and multicultural" disclaimer ever since, even though there's been nothing controversial in recent AC's other than the obvious violence, which is always going to have some detractors regardless of the medium.

Nitrotoluene
01-26-2014, 03:24 PM
My first time playing any of the AC series, so I wasn't aware of the history. It's interesting that Ubisoft didn't feel the need to be so annoyingly "politically correct" in Far Cry 3 which was just as multicultural in the development team and a lot more multicultural in the game characters than AC4. They had what seemed to be a South African murderer/slave trader, an Australian paedophile, African mercenaries, a Latino drug fiend/psychopath, an Indonesian sex goddess, Maori natives and a bunch of super-annoying North American uni students. I felt quite at home in such fine company! ;)