PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the AI

EzioAssassin51
01-01-2014, 06:56 AM
I know a lot of people think that the AI is stupid as all hell and you wouldn't be wrong in thinking that, considering how dumb the guards are when you're stealthing through an area. Also in combat they can be a little bit dumb, like your crew.

However, personally, I think the AI in this game is the best the series has had so far. It's a lot of small things and even things I find to be important that make me think this.

Firstly, did anyone notice that guards can swim now? How good is that? Now we don't have an overpowered kill just by pushing them into the water like we could in past games. If you push them off a ship while boarding, they'll swim to the ladder-ish thing on the side of the ship, climb back up and keep fighting. Personally, I think it's a really good addition to the game, since you can't clear a ship of SAILORS by pushing them into the water.

Secondly, after you're spotted or you kill people, the yellow 'wanted' circle is around for a lot longer, requiring you to be more stealthy or mindful of your actions if you want to remain unseen after a fight. This adds to the difficulty, since, if you walk in front of a guard while you're still in the 'yellow' status, as on the health bar, even if they didn't see you kill someone, they'll attack you, because obviously, they've heard of a killer loose. That's really good because the guards aren't psychic, they're realistically on the look out after hearing that someone's been killing people. Even when you're hidden again, they might still attack you because they recognize you... They're a lot more alert, like in AC1, allowing for more difficulty.

Also, during combat, they often interrupt attacks, especially when you're attacking an injured captain, stopping you from taking the captain out as easily. Also, on a side note, I like how it takes longer to kill the guards during combat now, makes it harder and requires you to be more on the look out for attacks.

What do you guys think of the AI? What are things you like and don't like about it?

ST7A Bad Karma
01-01-2014, 08:22 PM
I actually really enjoy the combat mechanics and animations. The slow motion "finishing moves" are spectacular!!

The problem arises once you get a firm understanding of the combat mechanics in Black Flag. At least for me, it becomes all to easy to pull off 10 v 1, 15 v 1. The fact that you can hold down the block button and stop all incoming attacks indefinitely is a bit ridiculous. At least in AC1 they broke through your guard after a few hits, forcing you to either run, or attack.

Another problem arises if you upgrade Edward as each upgrade becomes available. You're pretty much a walking God in game. Smoke Bombs are totally overpowered to the point of being game breaking. As is, in game now, you should only be able to carry 1 or 2. The fact that you can upgrade your ammo pouch, and carry 15... I just cant wrap my head around that.

I also have a problem with the fact that the AI enemies dont scale as you upgrade Edward. That is to say, as you progress through the storyline and upgrade your character, acquire better weapons and swords, your enemies dont upgrade along with you. They dont hit harder, move faster, have more health, parry more often, reload faster, ect, ect. You're fighting the EXACT same AI enemies throughout the entire storyline. They become all too predictable.

There's also the fact that when you're outnumbered, enemy AI's actually wait for you to finish your attack animations. You can be fighting 5 v 1, attacking one enemy, the other 4 will circle around you and let you kill off their mate before they attack you. When they do, all you have to do is block/counter and 1 shot the next guy, then the next guy, then the next guy. All too predictable.

I think it's a combination of the fact that Edward becomes too overpowered very early in the game, the fact that you can block indefinitely, the fact that enemies only attack you 1 at a time, along with the fact that AI dont scale/upgrade as you progress. These factors make the AI look pretty ridiculous about 30% into the storyline. The AI as they are now, are perfect for "starter" or "newbie" areas and that portion of the story line. Once you start getting upgrades and unlocking better weapons, the AI need to be upgraded, and the game really needs different types of AI as you progress further into the story.

What I had to do to keep the game somewhat challenging was restart my storyline when I was about 40% into my first run, and NOT upgrade Edward past level 2 health. I dont use smoke bombs, or darts, upgraded to only 3 pistols, and only carry 10 pistol rounds(lvl 1 upgrade). I only use swords with 9 points or less, and only use newbie pistols(common flintlock, blunderbuss, Captain Drake's Pistols).

poptartz20
01-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Actually... There have been alot of improvements over the time of the series.. but some things I would like to see would be more social awareness from the AI. I know I might be the only on alone in this but I find it odd that if you have a guard and he is walking up and down the same path several times then he just ... STOPS. I would be a bit more curious as to "Hey... what happen to Bill" let's go check it out type of thing. then if they found a body they would alert the other guard that "hey.. there is someone around" vs. still just standing in the same place the entire time. It just seems more realistic.

Or even when they do notice that a guard is dead, and they do become aware that they would either search a bit more or at least communicate with other guards once again. instead of going back to their original post and acting like it never happened.

I enjoyed the interactions of the Batman Arkham Asylum because they paid attention to their surrounding. which is what real people do. Even the Human AI from the last of Us was more aware!

mikeyf1999
01-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Only thing about ai is that once you get used to them they're too easy

EzioAssassin51
01-02-2014, 12:44 AM
Actually... There have been alot of improvements over the time of the series.. but some things I would like to see would be more social awareness from the AI. I know I might be the only on alone in this but I find it odd that if you have a guard and he is walking up and down the same path several times then he just ... STOPS. I would be a bit more curious as to "Hey... what happen to Bill" let's go check it out type of thing. then if they found a body they would alert the other guard that "hey.. there is someone around" vs. still just standing in the same place the entire time. It just seems more realistic.

Or even when they do notice that a guard is dead, and they do become aware that they would either search a bit more or at least communicate with other guards once again. instead of going back to their original post and acting like it never happened.

I enjoyed the interactions of the Batman Arkham Asylum because they paid attention to their surrounding. which is what real people do. Even the Human AI from the last of Us was more aware!

I agree! I like how in the Arkham games, the guards don't walk around in such obvious lines. They're a lot more random and they get scared and suspicious, as you said, when a mate is down or, for example, the wall has exploded.

AC, again as you said, need to be more like this. Maybe not necessarily have EVERY guard on the screen attack at once, but three or four, the first couple of which you need to dodge to allow yourself to counter the others, because if you counter the first two, you'll be hit by the third and fourth! And, the guards need to be more random, it'd make plantation stealth much more difficult.