PDA

View Full Version : The Ever Decreasing Weapon Choices

KingNova7
12-31-2013, 10:51 PM
Does it bother anyone that we are getting less and less options at weapons. The trend started first in AC3. The Knife animations of old were taken away and lazily given the tomahawk animations, making for a sometimes awkward looking weapon attack. The heavy weapons were fused with blunt weapons in terms of animation. They became re-skins of the same exact.

Now AC4 takes this to a whole new level. You only get 2 upgradable weapons in the entire game. WTF? What's happening here? Are games suppose to regress in such a manor. It also doesn't help that our armor doesn't change your appearance any longer.

In the good old days of Ezio, we had plethora of options of weapons. One saved progress we could be a knife wielder. On another we could be a heavy weapon brute. The choice was ours. Now a days I can't even use a single sword. A damn shame considering all the new brutal sword animations.

What's the reasoning behind this Ubi? Even reusing old weapon animations is preferred to completely taking them away.

Will_Lucky
12-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Not such a bad thing in all honestly, although I consider ACR my favourite game in the series Ezio was for all intents and purposes a mobile armory...

marvinmaverick1
12-31-2013, 11:37 PM
I was okay with AC3's weapon choices, but I don't really appreciate AC4's at all. I mean, I wish we could at least wield a heavy axe if we wanted. Another thing that I want to be able to hold is a musket. The musket is one of my favorite weapons to **** around with. I wouldn't mind just having a musket, hidden blades, and a heavy axe as my weapons.

Wolfmeister1010
12-31-2013, 11:44 PM
My only issue is that you cant equip knives or single swords. Axes have no place in an assassins armoury.

Honestly, ai am proud of ubi for decreasing the amout of weapons to the necessities. Many dudebro gamers want "MOAR WEAPONS AND MOAR GUNS AND MORE EXPLOSHUNS" but kudos to ubi for keeping it at the basics. You have your stealth hidden blade, your stealth ranged weapon (although berserk darts are cheap and OP) your non stealth melee swords, and your non stealth ranged pistols. Then you have a few extra tools like ropedarts and smokebombs. Keeps it very well balanced.

Unlike ACR which allows you to at one time equip hidden blades, sword, knife, throwing knives, hidden gun, poison blade, poison darts, crossbow, smokebombs, and three types of bombs. Not to mention the fact that you could just have your recruits kill everyone in the vicinity without you even having to draw a blade. THAT is much worse than a more restricted variety of weapons.

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Not such a bad thing in all honestly, although I consider ACR my favourite game in the series Ezio was for all intents and purposes a mobile armory...
This is the battle of two different extremes. They need to find a middle ground. I should AT LEAST be able to carry a dagger as well(pirates used those). But I can only carry my dual blades.

No scratch that. I SHOULD AT LEAST BE ABLE TO CARRY A SINGLE SWORD

reddragonhrcro
01-01-2014, 12:17 AM
This is the battle of two different extremes. They need to find a middle ground. I should AT LEAST be able to carry a dagger as well(pirates used those). But I can only carry my dual blades.

No scratch that. I SHOULD AT LEAST BE ABLE TO CARRY A SINGLE SWORD

Well yeah you do have a throwing dagger which you can pick up,interestingly you can have only one I belive and can't restock it in shops.

Wolfmeister1010
01-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Well yeah you do have a throwing dagger which you can pick up,interestingly you can have only one I belive and can't restock it in shops.

To cure the disease of overpoweredness that struck all the ezio games.

PedroAntonio2
01-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Acii-aciii = ''very overpowa, huuur duuurp. Ezio is too powerfa, we don't wanna overpowa!''

aciv = '' i want more gunsssss, moreeeee explosioooonnnnnnn''

Consus_E
01-01-2014, 01:42 AM
I miss the short blade...

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 01:49 AM
Acii-aciii = ''very overpowa, huuur duuurp. Ezio is too powerfa, we don't wanna overpowa!''

aciv = '' i want more gunsssss, moreeeee explosioooonnnnnnn''

Ok. If you want to act like an idiot, ill speak to you like one. That is not like anything I have ever said.... ever. I Dont want to be able to CARRY multiple weapons. As of now, I don't get to even use those weapons as my main. I want options. Please READ the comments. Not paraphrase. Paraphrase incorrectly and stupidly for that matter

PedroAntonio2
01-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Ok. If you want to act like an idiot, ill speak to you like one. That is not like anything I have ever said.... ever. I Dont want to be able to CARRY multiple weapons. As of now, I don't get to even use those weapons as my main. I want options. Please READ the comments. Not paraphrase. Paraphrase incorrectly and stupidly for that matter

I wasn't even talking about you, bro. Relax...I'm just tired of people changing opinions so fast.

PedroAntonio2
01-01-2014, 02:00 AM
I just want the bow/arrow, now that ACIV included a Free Aim system, it would be nice seeing it with Bow and arrow.

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 02:14 AM
I wasn't even talking about you, bro. Relax...I'm just tired of people changing opinions so fast.

opps srry

Kagurra
01-01-2014, 02:45 AM

This. The weapon variety would be PERFECT in AC4 if they just gave us a short blade like in AC1.

Consus_E
01-01-2014, 03:34 AM
This. The weapon variety would be PERFECT in AC4 if they just gave us a short blade like in AC1.

Especially if I can use it as an alternative to the dual swords...

Kagurra
01-01-2014, 04:06 AM
Especially if I can use it as an alternative to the dual swords...

Nah, it would be as an addition. Just like in AC1. You have you sword/'s, short blade, hidden blades, and fists. Maybe they didn't want to give us another blade like a short blade because Edward had two swords and it would look like too much. Hopefully in the next game if we have one sword again we'll have a short blade.

funnyman44
01-01-2014, 04:11 AM
Welcome to Ubisoft

Making sure the campaign and other, major elements are great and then leaving everything else out to dry. It isn't bad by any means, but it makes it difficult to do multiple play throughs without getting bored. And the collectibles.

Edit: Kagurra I agree with you. Maybe dual wield axes or other options.

funnyman44
01-01-2014, 04:16 AM
Also: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/820060-Adding-more-weapons

EchoFiveKilo
01-01-2014, 05:47 AM
My only issue is that you cant equip knives or single swords. Axes have no place in an assassins armoury.

Honestly, ai am proud of ubi for decreasing the amout of weapons to the necessities. Many dudebro gamers want "MOAR WEAPONS AND MOAR GUNS AND MORE EXPLOSHUNS" but kudos to ubi for keeping it at the basics. You have your stealth hidden blade, your stealth ranged weapon (although berserk darts are cheap and OP) your non stealth melee swords, and your non stealth ranged pistols. Then you have a few extra tools like ropedarts and smokebombs. Keeps it very well balanced.

Unlike ACR which allows you to at one time equip hidden blades, sword, knife, throwing knives, hidden gun, poison blade, poison darts, crossbow, smokebombs, and three types of bombs. Not to mention the fact that you could just have your recruits kill everyone in the vicinity without you even having to draw a blade. THAT is much worse than a more restricted variety of weapons.

Heres an idea; how about use whatever you want? Why try to decrease the fun factor and variety just to suit your boring tastes? Everyone gets their weapons, you get just your necessities, and ignore the rest. Pretend like its not there.

And by the way, if you think Ubi decreased it to the necessities out of a 'difficulty' kind of mindset, youre wrong, it was plain laziness on their part, evident by the 80% recycling of combat animations.

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Heres an idea; how about use whatever you want? Why try to decrease the fun factor and variety just to suit your boring tastes? Everyone gets their weapons, you get just your necessities, and ignore the rest. Pretend like its not there.

And by the way, if you think Ubi decreased it to the necessities out of a 'difficulty' kind of mindset, youre wrong, it was plain laziness on their part, evident by the 80% recycling of combat animations.

I agree. Its more lazy than anything. It doesn't make the game harder at all. Just look how the Dual Wields destroy hordes of guards. They didn't decrease the number of weapons because of difficulty period. they are getting lazy. evidence is there when looking at AC3 as well

EchoFiveKilo
01-01-2014, 06:03 AM
I agree. Its more lazy than anything. It doesn't make the game harder at all. Just look how the Dual Wields destroy hordes of guards. They didn't decrease the number of weapons because of difficulty period. they are getting lazy. evidence is there when looking at AC3 as well

But AC3s combat was fantastic. It had ALL new animations, with the exception of the dagger, and the blunt weapon (which was understandable, considering a blunt weapon is swung in the same manner as an axe). The only disappointing thing was the dagger, but apart from that, the combat was amazing, and I'm kind of upset AC4 went 2 steps backwards.

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 06:22 AM
But AC3s combat was fantastic. It had ALL new animations, with the exception of the dagger, and the blunt weapon (which was understandable, considering a blunt weapon is swung in the same manner as an axe). The only disappointing thing was the dagger, but apart from that, the combat was amazing, and I'm kind of upset AC4 went 2 steps backwards.
i agree

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Does anybody else see that there is fewer to make u use their weapons
Be honest in AC three did you use all of your weapons
In my opinion AC4 gives you a reason to use the weapons

EchoFiveKilo
01-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Does anybody else see that there is fewer to make u use their weapons
Be honest in AC three did you use all of your weapons
In my opinion AC4 gives you a reason to use the weapons

Thats because theres barely any weapons in AC4. And yes I did use all of the weapons in AC3, the least used weapon for me was the blunt weapon, because I preferred to have a sword on Connor.

salman147
01-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Next time they should add:
Swords,axes,blades,knives,daggers,guns,pistols,car riable muskets,upgradable guns,customizable swords and weapons giving the option to change hilts,handles,length of the blade,changing sword grip with each factor affecting weapons etc.
Guns should have upgradable optios to change bullets,different gun powders,craftable bombs,upgradable smoke bombs etc.....forever.

marvinmaverick1
01-01-2014, 01:33 PM
You know what one of my least favorite things that AC should get rid of? I know they won't, but here's what they should do. Every Grenadier can parry every attack and you can only beat every grenadier by breaking their defense. Every elite troop (the ones with swords/pistols, I forgot what they're called) can only be killed by letting it attack you, countering it, kicking in the groin, and then killing with weapon. I wish they could at least do a little variety so that not every troop was killed the exact same. I actually appreciate how in AC3, they made Haytham's and Connor's attacking style different.

SixKeys
01-01-2014, 01:42 PM
AC3 had a ridiculous amount of weapons. Tomahawks, battle axes, daggers, swords, war clubs, rope darts, smoke bombs, tripwire bombs, guns, bow and arrow AND brotherhood recruits. If anything, I would love to see AC trim the fat and only allow us the bare necessities like AC1. AC4 was a step in the right direction. The ideal solution would be to allow the player to choose up to 4 different weapons and carry no more at any time. That way we would have to plan ahead.

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 03:53 PM
^this

dxsxhxcx
01-01-2014, 04:19 PM
the only weapons I need are a dagger, hidden blade, throwing knifes and maybe a unique weapon from the setting, the rest is disposable...

Thrawn2034
01-01-2014, 04:38 PM
I don't have a problem with the weapon selection. What bothers me is being stuck with a brig the whole game rather than upgrading to a bigger ship as the game progresses.

Kagurra
01-01-2014, 06:29 PM
I don't have a problem with the weapon selection. What bothers me is being stuck with a brig the whole game rather than upgrading to a bigger ship as the game progresses.

This isn't that big of a deal. It's his ship, they don't just want you scrapping it as it goes with his story and character. Maybe if Ubi ever makes that pirate game they mentioned you'll get something like that.

SENS0_7
01-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Agreed...i really miss having a dagger...

Rarely ever used the regular swords in AC1-ACR. Pretty much stuck to hidden blades and a dagger. BRING BACK THE DAGGERS/SHORT SWORDS!

EchoFiveKilo
01-01-2014, 10:36 PM
AC3 had a ridiculous amount of weapons. Tomahawks, battle axes, daggers, swords, war clubs, rope darts, smoke bombs, tripwire bombs, guns, bow and arrow AND brotherhood recruits. If anything, I would love to see AC trim the fat and only allow us the bare necessities like AC1. AC4 was a step in the right direction. The ideal solution would be to allow the player to choose up to 4 different weapons and carry no more at any time. That way we would have to plan ahead.

By 'step in the right direction' you mean laziness, then yes, by all means lets applaud Ubisofts decision of a small weapon array and reusing kill animations. Has it not occurred to you that people actually liked AC3's weapon variety?

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 10:39 PM

There is no such thing as too many weapons.That's a really weird kind of thinking as a gamer imo. I do believe that there is a such thing as being able to CARRY to many weapons at one time,but that is not the problem this thread is tackling. In AC4 THERE IS NO CHOICES. I can't permanently equip a single wield sword at the expense of using dual wields. I can't wield a knife. I can't carry ANYTHING. That's not fun. That's restrictive.

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 10:41 PM
By 'step in the right direction' you mean laziness, then yes, by all means lets applaud Ubisofts decision of a small weapon array and reusing kill animations. Has it not occurred to you that people actually liked AC3's weapon variety?
Exactly this. It sure isn't taken from fan feedback. Only idiots would ASK for less weapon choices.

AMS_AGENT_000
01-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Why trim the fat and give us bare bones in the weapons department? I and others are not asking to be able to carry a ton of weapons on our person at once but simply to have a larger variety of weapon types and weapons to choose from with varying appearances, roles, and stats as to customize our own fighting style.

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 10:43 PM
So you calling me an idiot

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Just because you want large amount of weapons doesn't mean all of us do
i 4one want less weapons so that I can use them more often
Why don't You not insult people

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 10:47 PM
And one more thing has it occurred to you that people didn't like AC3 variety

PedroAntonio2
01-01-2014, 10:51 PM
ACIII had a lot os useless weapons...I never used the sword, because I had the Tomahawk and the Hidden Blades.I never used the Smoke Bombs, because they removed that cool Free Aim they added in ACR. I only used Hidden Blades, Tomahawk, Pistols and the bow. I prefer ACIV weapons....Hidden Blade, Darts, Swords and Pistols.

Kagurra
01-01-2014, 10:51 PM

What?

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 10:55 PM

let me tell you why the notion is idiotic:

You want a small amount of weapons because you are afraid that if its too large you won't use them all? Lol what? So basically you want less weapons because you have little self-control. So instead of trying to use what you like rather than worrying about the other weapons you would rather limit EVERYONE else's playing experience because you have this weird need to use all of your weapons.... Your issue can be easily solved by limiting your own dam- self, and controlling your little bubble of existence. But that's no good enough for you. You'd rather everyone else partake in your idea of fun.

If we had lots of choices, everyone gets to do what they want. If we had a little bit of choices everyone gets to do what YOU want.

SixKeys
01-01-2014, 10:55 PM

Reusing kill animations is not a big deal to me, but I can understand some might be bothered by it. As for laziness, I disagree. It's laziness when devs give the player 2 million weapons and don't bother to upgrade the enemies. It's laziness when all you have to do is blow gently in the enemies' direction and they fall over dead. I want a challenge. I want the game to give me just a hidden blade and a blowpipe and tell me "go kill that guy over there protected by 100 bodyguards. It's up to you to figure out how". That takes creativity, patience and skill. Giving me a battle axe, a crossbow with unlimited ammo and 15 smoke bombs against one guy armed with only a sword - THAT is lazy mission design.

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 10:59 PM
ACIII had a lot os useless weapons...I never used the sword, because I had the Tomahawk and the Hidden Blades.I never used the Smoke Bombs, because they removed that cool Free Aim they added in ACR. I only used Hidden Blades, Tomahawk, Pistols and the bow. I prefer ACIV weapons....Hidden Blade, Darts, Swords and Pistols.

and there are a lot of people who used the sword instead of the tomahawk. Think about that. Some people used other things. You prefer the smaller weapon set because of what? You no longer have the choice to use more weapons? You are against the Option of more weapons. Do you know who that sounds to people who advocate for options and free-will. I'm starting to get disgusted with this community.

Would rather control other people's experiences than experiencing their own

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 11:01 PM
Why don't you not assume I have little self control I use weapons that I like
So next time don't act like an a hole

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Also noticed I didn't call you an idiot for wanting more variety

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 11:03 PM
I was not saying to limit the freaking weapons even more I'm just saying don't give us too much

EchoFiveKilo
01-01-2014, 11:05 PM
And one more thing has it occurred to you that people didn't like AC3 variety

But thats your own problem son. How about, when you open the weapon wheel on AC, how about just pretending that the weapons arent there? Cover one of your eyelids and just pretend it aint there, its pretty silly to try to limit other peoples experience, simply because you dont prefer a tomahawk, or whatever.

Do you see people on COD, Battlefield or whatever, crying to the devs to remove weapons? Its about VARIETY mate, it adds to the game, I seriously get more and more amazed with the complaints/arguments people have on this site everyday.

KingNova7
01-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Reusing kill animations is not a big deal to me, but I can understand some might be bothered by it. As for laziness, I disagree. It's laziness when devs give the player 2 million weapons and don't bother to upgrade the enemies. It's laziness when all you have to do is blow gently in the enemies' direction and they fall over dead. I want a challenge. I want the game to give me just a hidden blade and a blowpipe and tell me "go kill that guy over there protected by 100 bodyguards. It's up to you to figure out how". That takes creativity, patience and skill. Giving me a battle axe, a crossbow with unlimited ammo and 15 smoke bombs against one guy armed with only a sword - THAT is lazy mission design. Is lazy not to do that yourself. You don't need to limit all of those around you simply to let yourself have a challenge. Don't be lazy. CHALLENGE YOURSELF. You say they gave us 2 million weapons. I say they gave us 2 million options.

I don't want to be able to carry those options at once. I want to be able to choose my small arsenal, and play how I want. I don't want that arsenal chosen for me. If they let you carry a main weapon, a secondary small weapon and ONE choice of ranged weapon. I A PERFECTLY FINE WIT THAT. As long as I get to chose what weapons go in those limited slots. Maybe I want to use a machete for this mission. Maybe on the next mission I'll switch it out for a sword. THAT IS FREEDOM. THAT IS CHOICE. But you'd rather have them choose for you because you don't want the option to choose on your own. That is a mindset I do not respect.

EchoFiveKilo
01-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Is lazy not to do that yourself. You don't need to limit all of those around you simply to let yourself have a challenge. Don't be lazy. CHALLENGE YOURSELF. You say they gave us 2 million weapons. I say they gave us 2 million options.

I don't want to be able to carry those options at once. I want to be able to choose my small arsenal, and play how I want. I don't want that arsenal chosen for me. If they let you carry a main weapon, a secondary small weapon and ONE choice of ranged weapon. I A PERFECTLY FINE WIT THAT. As long as I get to chose what weapons go in those limited slots. Maybe I want to use a machete for this mission. Maybe on the next mission I'll switch it out for a sword. THAT IS FREEDOM. THAT IS CHOICE. But you'd rather have them choose for you because you don't want the option to choose on your own. That is a mindset I do not respect.

100%.

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 11:09 PM
Is what I do it's my friends though who pointed it out to me

EchoFiveKilo
01-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Reusing kill animations is not a big deal to me, but I can understand some might be bothered by it. As for laziness, I disagree. It's laziness when devs give the player 2 million weapons and don't bother to upgrade the enemies. It's laziness when all you have to do is blow gently in the enemies' direction and they fall over dead. I want a challenge. I want the game to give me just a hidden blade and a blowpipe and tell me "go kill that guy over there protected by 100 bodyguards. It's up to you to figure out how". That takes creativity, patience and skill. Giving me a battle axe, a crossbow with unlimited ammo and 15 smoke bombs against one guy armed with only a sword - THAT is lazy mission design.

This is by far one of the most asinine things I have ever read. Again, pretend that you have no weapons but a hidden blade and a blowpipe, and by all means, go and take out that guy. PRETEND that you dont have any other weapons.

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Who said he wants them to choose for him he's pretty much saying that AC4 had a good set as in guns for loud assassinations blowpipe was silent then it's up to you to decide how you use that

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Okay can we all just stop talking condescending to one another where all the assassins in the end. You don't know how we think we don't know how you think let's just leave it at that

killzab
01-01-2014, 11:19 PM

I'm sorry but, although your opinions on AC are definitely interesting, I can"t take anything you say about challenge and the combat system seriously after you said you were a button masher and that you didn't even know what the guard button was. Your arguments became invalid.

MnemonicSyntax
01-01-2014, 11:22 PM
This is by far one of the most asinine things I have ever read. Again, pretend that you have no weapons but a hidden blade and a blowpipe, and by all means, go and take out that guy. PRETEND that you dont have any other weapons.

I think you missed the point, mate. She's not saying she's upset about the weapon choices as much as the challenge of using said weapons, which I agree, there isn't much of any.

Mikeyf1999, would you kindly stop posting multiple times in a row? Go back and use the Edit Button and add or change your last post. You're double and triple posting and it's annoying. No offense to you, but it's unwritten forum netiquette.

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Nah it's not my fault it's this phone it's not showing my post even after I refresh it

TheDanteEX
01-02-2014, 12:20 AM
The more options the better. The problem with AC as it is now is there really is a lack of options when it comes to weapons. Of course there should be a limit to how many things you can carry but why should the choices that you can carry be limited? Even allowing the player to remove weapons helps in giving players new gameplay opportunities. Hell, I believe it's okay to have a pretty overpowered character as long as you have to put in the effort to upgrade that far and have the option of not being overpowered. Options matter in video games. That's what makes them feel alive.

mikeyf1999
01-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Exactly what I'm trying to say you don't have to fully lower down the weapons just don't make him to overpowered
Thought what the reason why people want Lower variety is then weapons don't feel too overpowers I mean let's be honest there's going to be that one overpowered weapon that overshadows all the other one at least in AC4 they made it to work most of the weapons are all equal so it makes a play want to use all of so maybe in the next AC they can use I don't know something like that

HiddenKiller612
01-02-2014, 06:57 AM
I'd like a variety of weaponry. While maintaining order. You want a challenge? Leave all but your hidden blades in your house/compound/villa/etc. You want to take on a target stealthy, bring along a bow, hidden blades, and throwing knives... Go in guns blazing, bring your pistols, rifle/blunderbuss, etc. You shouldn't have to be limited to 3 weapons if you don't want to. In the past I've used all the weapons given to me... but I also eventually levitated to certain weapons and stuck with them. As for challenge, you can easily take out a swath of guards with just your hidden blades, it's not about that at all really... It's about having the choice to carry certain weapons... but as I see it, you can't prepare yourself for a mission ahead of time... because you don't know what you'll be facing until you actually enter a mission.

dxsxhxcx
01-02-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry but, although your opinions on AC are definitely interesting, I can"t take anything you say about challenge and the combat system seriously after you said you were a button masher and that you didn't even know what the guard button was. Your arguments became invalid.

it's understandable why someone slash their way through the enemies like that, wait for them to attack can be a exercise of patience sometimes, it would really help the fluidity of the combat if the enemies attacked faster instead of just sit there waiting to be slaughtered, get a fight with a lot of enemies at the same time and just counter their attacks (without killing them) to see how much time each one take to attack you again, have things like this with the 7th game on the way is unacceptable, and the problem certainly isn't the lack of feedback (from what I can remember, for at least 3 games I've been adressing this issue, others probably did the same as well)...

SixKeys
01-02-2014, 10:46 AM

Imagine that, not everybody cares about combat in AC. Because it's always been easy to just button-mash your way through it, except in AC1. In AC1 you still had to learn some proper combo moves to break someone's guard or get out of a choke hold. Ever since AC2 you can just keep pressing a single button and insta-win. Why should I care about the combat when the game is that easy? It was the same thing in AC3, no matter what anyone says. You weren't forced to learn new moves, every enemy, even the so-called tough archetypes can be beaten simply by wailing on them long enough. The only enemy that required a different approach were the Jaegers and they could be countered with rope darts.

So please explain to me why I should care about memorizing all these other button combos when they're all 100% pointless.

marcbryan
01-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I just want the bow/arrow, now that ACIV included a Free Aim system, it would be nice seeing it with Bow and arrow.

Definitely agree! The mechanics worked well in Tomb Raider. Wish they would have incorporated it into ACIII.

KingNova7
01-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I want alot of weapon choices. I don't want to be able to carry all of them though. Give me a few weapon slots and alot of different options and the game actually becomes better

RinoTheBouncer
01-02-2014, 10:27 PM
I think ACIV wasted such a great opportunity to give us many weapons. We’re on a ship and the Captain’s Quarters can carry so many weapons, so we’d be literally carrying an armory with us, to whatever city we go to. We don’t have to find a store or go to the Homestead or the likes to get a weapon, we just go back to the ship, or get ready before we dock. Such a wasted opportunity as I doubt we’ll ever deal with ships again or any similar stuff where you can carry so many items as you explore.

I also think the Hidden Blade is becoming less relevant with each game since AC:Revelations. I love the Tomahawk and War Clubs of ACIII and the Dual Swords of ACIV but I wish we get to have more weapons and more techniques to kill.

mikeyf1999
01-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Edward is to beastto have a Armory on him

klisurov
01-03-2014, 01:35 AM
So you want something like ACI?. Me too, I miss the need to run away. now you can kill a hundred pursuers for 30 seconds and not take a single hit. But that should be made by increasing the damage you take, and making enemies harder to counter. Not by restricting the weapon choises.

MnemonicSyntax
01-03-2014, 01:39 AM
So you want something like ACI?. Me too, I miss the need to run away. now you can kill a hundred pursuers for 30 seconds and not take a single hit. But that should be made by increasing the damage you take, and making enemies harder to counter. Not by restricting the weapon choises.

You can do that in AC1 too. It's just knowing the timing, is all.

mikeyf1999
01-03-2014, 02:14 AM

Funny and how you say that because I slaughtered about 100 people in the AC one with ease without taking a hit

KingNova7
01-07-2014, 09:54 AM
I just think the more options the better

Consus_E
01-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Perhaps more emphasis on weapon specialization? I miss the dagger being a faster weapon, sword for damage, fists for versatility, ect. And bring back different counter windows...

pirate1802
01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Meh, I'm not bothered by the loss of a large number of essentially similar weapons. Oh yes, daggers are a little faster, swords do more damage etc. But in a combat system that doesn't challenge you all these slightly varying stats are meaningless. I think in my last AC2 playthrough I never used an axe or dagger once. Ofcouse you'd say FREEDOM!!!1!, but I'd say in a game where you don't have diverse situations which challenge you to use different weapons to survive, all those are meaningless. You can ofcourse still use them, but that's mostly for flavour difference. I'd agreed with SixKeys, even though her opinion got called asinine, mine is similar. I'd rather have a small selection of widely different weapons and levels which actually require me to use all of them. Than having a million weapons with slightly different stats in a game where you can sail through using a single weapon. In that regard, AC4 was a step in the right direction. Laziness is giving you a hundred weapons without tailoring the game to facilitate the use of those hundred weapons. I hardly ever used trip mines in AC3, why? ANd very rarely used swords. Because not once did I encounter a situation where I thought.. "hey! lets try something different!" So I'd not be crying if those and some other useless weapons were axed, pun intended.

Look at Tomb Raider. Just four weapons, but all of the so varied and the fights encourage you to use your entire arsenal. That should be how it should be in AC. By all means, give me a hundred weapons. But then make sure each of those hundred weapons actually feel unique, and not faster/tougher reskins of the other one.

And now before I'm called an idiot too, I'd like to escape from here. see ya!

RinoTheBouncer
01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Meh, I'm not bothered by the loss of a large number of essentially similar weapons. Oh yes, daggers are a little faster, swords do more damage etc. But in a combat system that doesn't challenge you all these slightly varying stats are meaningless. I think in my last AC2 playthrough I never used an axe or dagger once. Ofcouse you'd say FREEDOM!!!1!, but I'd say in a game where you don't have diverse situations which challenge you to use different weapons to survive, all those are meaningless. You can ofcourse still use them, but that's mostly for flavour difference. I'd agreed with SixKeys, even though her opinion got called asinine, mine is similar. I'd rather have a small selection of widely different weapons and levels which actually require me to use all of them. Than having a million weapons with slightly different stats in a game where you can sail through using a single weapon. In that regard, AC4 was a step in the right direction. Laziness is giving you a hundred weapons without tailoring the game to facilitate the use of those hundred weapons. I hardly ever used trip mines in AC3, why? ANd very rarely used swords. Because not once did I encounter a situation where I thought.. "hey! lets try something different!" So I'd not be crying if those and some other useless weapons were axed, pun intended.

Look at Tomb Raider. Just four weapons, but all of the so varied and the fights encourage you to use your entire arsenal. That should be how it should be in AC. By all means, give me a hundred weapons. But then make sure each of those hundred weapons actually feel unique, and not faster/tougher reskins of the other one.

Perfectly said. We donít only need new weapons, we need reasons to use them. I didnít use any weapons other than the Hidden Blades and Swords in ACII and didnít bother with bombs in AC:R unless i was asked to do so and I only used the Tomahawk in ACIII and the Dual Swords and Pistols in ACIV.

pirate1802
01-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Actually I used bombs a lot in Revelations. They are useful if you are trying not be be detected etc.. :p I hope they return in the future, in a relevant setting ofcourse.

EchoFiveKilo
01-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Yes, but its your own fault for not wanting to use the weapons. Every fight I change it up, this fight I'm gonna use hidden blades and snare, next I'll use sword and gun, then tomahawk and rope dart, then fists, maybe next Ill try axe and then musket. Its your own fault if you need to be 'encouraged' to use weapons. You ask for freedom and non linearity in games, and then you ask for encouragement and handholding? Please use your brain pirate.

And yes I think escaping is a good choice, I was being nice...

EchoFiveKilo
01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Perfectly said. We don’t only need new weapons, we need reasons to use them. I didn’t use any weapons other than the Hidden Blades and Swords in ACII and didn’t bother with bombs in AC:R unless i was asked to do so and I only used the Tomahawk in ACIII and the Dual Swords and Pistols in ACIV.

How about using the weapons because its your own damn preference. Use a sword because you like swords, tomahawks cause you like tomahawks etc. I guarantee if Ubi makes the idiotic decision of catering to people who present this argument by removing all the weapons, the first complaints to flood this forum will be "WHERE ARE THE WEAPON CHOICES?" And you know who the threads will be started by? You, Sixkeys, pirate1802 etc.

Do you play COD, BF or any FPS? Try thinking about asking the devs to remove guns and other weapons, thats how silly this complaint sounds.

dbzk1999
01-07-2014, 01:52 PM
How about using the weapons because its your own damn preference. Use a sword because you like swords, tomahawks cause you like tomahawks etc. I guarantee if Ubi makes the idiotic decision of catering to people who present this argument, the first complaints to flood this forum will be "WHERE ARE THE WEAPON CHOICES?" And you know the threads will be started by? You, Sixkeys, pirate1802 etc.

How about u stop swearing at other people because all he said was that he wants to use a lot of weapons but can't find a reason to use all of them

pirate1802
01-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Encouragement =/= handholding. Its creating a conducive environment where you are rewarded for using the whole arsenal of weapons and not just for aesthetic pleasure. For example, those sneaky sneaky areas encourage the use of stealth and blowpipes. But if the missions were so that they involve no stealth at all, why would you use the blowpipe, apart from maybe because you're bored? All the stealth mechanics that are in AC4 also was there in AC3. But the missions there hardly involved stealth. So I rarely used to whistle, corner cover etc. Its the same deal here.

KingNova7
01-07-2014, 06:21 PM

Perfectly said. We don’t only need new weapons, we need reasons to use them. I didn’t use any weapons other than the Hidden Blades and Swords in ACII and didn’t bother with bombs in AC:R unless i was asked to do so and I only used the Tomahawk in ACIII and the Dual Swords and Pistols in ACIV.

So since you don't use them no one should? Can't stand people like you too. You didn't find a reason to use other weapons? well that's because you liked the weapons you started out with duh. I liked daggers so I used daggers. Some people like heavy weapons so they used heavy weapons. It has nothing to do with whats the better weapon. it has everything to do with what people like to use. Stop being hidebound and selfish please and think about others rather than yourself

dbzk1999
01-07-2014, 08:32 PM
So since you don't use them no one should? Can't stand people like you too. You didn't find a reason to use other weapons? well that's because you liked the weapons you started out with duh. I liked daggers so I used daggers. Some people like heavy weapons so they used heavy weapons. It has nothing to do with whats the better weapon. it has everything to do with what people like to use. Stop being hidebound and selfish please and think about others rather than yourself

I cannot stand people like you you keep assuming that we are being selfish when voicing our opinions wtf is wrong with our OPINIONS it's not like we are saying get rid p all the weapons and give us only 1 we haven't insulted anybody who wants more weapons so u shouldn't insult us for wanting a LITTLE less
And all pirate was saying was that we need NEW weapons to use that are all equal like I said if you like all the weapons but can't find out the weapons you wan to use in certain situations (blowpipe for stealth and pistols for combat) there's no need to hate us when we haven't insulted you or anyone else and get it through that we don't think cause we don't use it no one should its getting on my nerves

EchoFiveKilo
01-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Encouragement =/= handholding. Its creating a conducive environment where you are rewarded for using the whole arsenal of weapons and not just for aesthetic pleasure. For example, those sneaky sneaky areas encourage the use of stealth and blowpipes. But if the missions were so that they involve no stealth at all, why would you use the blowpipe, apart from maybe because you're bored? All the stealth mechanics that are in AC4 also was there in AC3. But the missions there hardly involved stealth. So I rarely used to whistle, corner cover etc. Its the same deal here.

I always used corners, whistling, I also used the Bow to take out targets, waiting patiently for enemies to move out of the way, using hidden blades only. Not only that, AC3 was my first AC game, so I figured all this out on my own. Again, it was your own fault that you didnt utilise everything AC3 gave you.

EchoFiveKilo
01-07-2014, 09:31 PM
I cannot stand people like you you keep assuming that we are being selfish when voicing our opinions wtf is wrong with our OPINIONS it's not like we are saying get rid p all the weapons and give us only 1 we haven't insulted anybody who wants more weapons so u shouldn't insult us for wanting a LITTLE less
And all pirate was saying was that we need NEW weapons to use that are all equal like I said if you like all the weapons but can't find out the weapons you wan to use in certain situations (blowpipe for stealth and pistols for combat) there's no need to hate us when we haven't insulted you or anyone else and get it through that we don't think cause we don't use it no one should its getting on my nerves

Actually, you're all saying that because you didn't use all of the weapons, you're somehow deeply disturbed by the array of weapons in the game, and calling for their removal. I mean, damn Ubisoft to hell for giving us weapons to use right? Combat and weaponry is one of the key reasons I play AC, and because you cant use all of the things in the game, you want to have them removed, how about stop and think to yourself for a second, there are players out there who enjoy the vast array of weapons in the game. Like myself, KingNova, and countless others.

Go on youtube, do you see anyone with this complaint on AC videos? I mean, I will put up with the boring protagonist complaints, slow start to story, broken stealth, social events whatever, but this is just beyond anything...

Look at myself for example, in AC3, while I did enjoy the naval, I didn't play those missions ALL the time. But do I complain to ubisoft to remove the naval aspect? NO, because I realise there are other people out there that enjoy the Naval sections. Quit thinking about yourself please.

Also, you people dont have anything to gain if Ubisoft does make the stupid decision of removing weapons for you guys. You lose weapons, potential replay value, and variety, and if they stay, how does it affect you? Does it physically pain you to see weapons in the game that you dont use?

dbzk1999
01-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Actually, you're all saying that because you didn't use all of the weapons, you're somehow deeply disturbed by the array of weapons in the game, and calling for their removal. I mean, damn Ubisoft to hell for giving us weapons to use right? Combat and weaponry is one of the key reasons I play AC, and because you cant use all of the things in the game, you want to have them removed, how about stop and think to yourself for a second, there are players out there who enjoy the vast array of weapons in the game. Like myself, KingNova, and countless others.

Go on youtube, do you see anyone with this complaint on AC videos? I mean, I will put up with the boring protagonist complaints, slow start to story, broken stealthttp://m.download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-bit/3000-2250_4-10007677.htmlh, social events whatever, but this is just beyond anything...
Again do you see us saying to remove all the weapons no this is a thread where I thought we could our opinions thanks for proving me wrong I guess we all have to accept I vast array of weapons cause u say we think about ourselves but aren't u tdoibg the same thing we are all split and jus accept it
Look at myself for example, in AC3, while I did enjoy the naval, I didn't play those missions ALL the time. But do I complain to ubisoft to remove the naval aspect? NO, because I realise there are other people out there that enjoy the Naval sections. Quit thinking about yourself please.
I'm thinking about myself what does that make u ur saying thts how u played am I saying I want lower weapons yes
Do I want them to implement it and hinder everyone no
So please SHUT UP

EchoFiveKilo
01-07-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking about myself what does that make u ur saying thts how u played am I saying I want lower weapons yes
Do I want them to implement it and hinder everyone no
So please SHUT UP

lol. If you dont want them to implement it then why are you complaining about it saying they should implement it? Implying that they should?

dbzk1999
01-07-2014, 10:36 PM
lol. If you dont want them to implement it then why are you complaining about it saying they should implement it? Implying that they should?

Because I'd rather talk about it with others but like I guess I'm selfish for even wanting it if u even read what I said I'm not talking about them implementing I was talking about king insulting those who want it when they didn't insult him is that fair no
Like I said I want them to add it but I do care about what others think but of course U assume that I don't and that really pisses me off you don't know me so don't think I'm thinking about myself

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 02:36 AM

Show me where I said I dont want you to enjoy these weapons just because I didn't and I want them all removed just because I dont like 'em? All I said is because I was not a big fan of these, I'd not be losing my sleep if they were taken away. Which was the OP's point. The apocalyptic loss of weapons yada yada.. does it bother anyone? I said not me, because reasons. Thats all. Am I supposed to add my voice to the chorus because I'm not selfish? :rolleyes:

dbzk1999
01-08-2014, 04:54 AM
Show me where I said I dont want you to enjoy these weapons just because I didn't and I want them all removed just because I dont like 'em? All I said is because I was not a big fan of these, I'd not be losing my sleep if they were taken away. Which was the OP's point. The apocalyptic loss of weapons yada yada.. does it bother anyone? I said not me, because reasons. Thats all. Am I supposed to add my voice to the chorus because I'm not selfish? :rolleyes:

This man thank you for explaining it ButDon't worry let these guys assume whatever they want even though it's obvious they're wrong bout us

RoBg03
01-08-2014, 05:07 AM
I'd like to see a wide variety of weapons, but implement some kind of a skill tree system...where you could upgrade your proficiency with a dagger, or swords, dual wield, ranged, etc. the problem of course is the whole animus thing doesn't lend itself to multiple outcomes. seems like it'd increase replayability as well.

EchoFiveKilo
01-08-2014, 06:09 AM

The OP's originally suggested point was that ACIV is severely lacking in weaponry, and the re-using of kill animations is disconcerting. Then you guys decided to counter-act the OP's point by saying there are too many weapons, please remove them, in all the time I've been gaming since childhood, NEVER have I come across an argument like this. You can never have too many weapons in a game like Assassins Creed, which prides itself on freedom and variety.

I'm not a big fan of the sniper rifles in COD Ghosts, Infinity Ward please remove them.
I'm not a big fan of the Porsches in NFS, EA, please remove them.
I dont use a certain gun in Halo, Bungie please remove them!
KEYWORD: "I". Singular, individual.

This is what you guys are sounding like.

The reason why I am so annoyed, is that all of your complaints have already destroyed the combat (no more double kills, or made them near impossible to perform) and in Ubisofts frenzied attempt at making the combat more difficult, made it become just a mess, that is the only thing stoppping me from buying ACIV. Funny though, threads keep popping up about why there arent any double kills, so I can guarantee threads about this issue will pop up if for some reason ubi does decide to take this 'advice'. Future AC's will probably get to the point where we are fighting templars with our fists, and not just that, the reused fist animations too.

pirate1802
01-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Well, I never said please remove this and that weapon. This is what I sounded like (to me):

I didnt use the daggers, so I don't care if they were removed. they were useless (to me) anyway.

And I never had a problem with the removal of double kills either. I never asked them to remove them from AC III, but maybe I should go to its support thread a cry a bit, so that I don't appear as a selfish bastard who had a secret hand behind its removal. You can't fault me for Ubisoft listening to (if they even do) my preference, can you? Afterall, you guys are doing the same here. We all want the game tailored to our specific whims. If they listen to me and not you, well then tough luck I guess.

Btw, the CoD analogy.. it would be more appropriate if say CoD had ten sniper rifles which were ore or less reskins of each other. Then you can say I'd not lose sleep if nine of them were removed. Having these samey weapons is not creating freedom and choice, its an illusion at best. Remember a little game called Deus EX: Human Revolution? That is how weapons in a game about player choice should be like. And guess what? That game too didnt have a huge arsenal of weapons, just one weapon of each type. Not 3 rifles and 20 sniper rifles. But each one felt unique and the game gave you enough opportunities to use all. Heck look at Bioshock Infinite even. For all its boring combat, the guns actually felt different and performed different functions.

EchoFiveKilo
01-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Well, I never said please remove this and that weapon. This is what I sounded like (to me):

I didnt use the daggers, so I don't care if they were removed. they were useless (to me) anyway.

And I never had a problem with the removal of double kills either. I never asked them to remove them from AC III, but maybe I should go to its support thread a cry a bit, so that I don't appear as a selfish bastard who had a secret hand behind its removal. You can't fault me for Ubisoft listening to (if they even do) my preference, can you? Afterall, you guys are doing the same here. We all want the game tailored to our specific whims. If they listen to me and not you, well then tough luck I guess.

Btw, the CoD analogy.. it would be more appropriate if say CoD had ten sniper rifles which were ore or less reskins of each other. Then you can say I'd not lose sleep if nine of them were removed. Having these samey weapons is not creating freedom and choice, its an illusion at best. Remember a little game called Deus EX: Human Revolution? That is how weapons in a game about player choice should be like. And guess what? That game too didnt have a huge arsenal of weapons, just one weapon of each type. Not 3 rifles and 20 sniper rifles. But each one felt unique and the game gave you enough opportunities to use all. Heck look at Bioshock Infinite even. For all its boring combat, the guns actually felt different and performed different functions.

But if my opinion were to be listened to, it would hurt just you (and it isnt really hurting you, all you need to do is accept that its in game, and that you dont even have to use it) as opposed to removing it altogether and potentially pissing off a lot of players. And the analogy is wholly appropriate, as AC doesnt really have that many weapons in game, I like sword animations, I like tomahawk animations etc as it adds variety.

dbzk1999
01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
But if my opinion were to be listened to, it would hurt just you (and it isnt really hurting you, all you need to do is accept that its in game, and that you dont even have to use it) as opposed to removing it altogether and potentially pissing off a lot of players. And the analogy is wholly appropriate, as AC doesnt really have that many weapons in game, I like sword animations, I like tomahawk animations etc as it adds variety.
U don't get it we are saying we don't care what they do to the weapons it's hard for me to take u seriously when u assume we complained about double kills when I didn't at all
Here's advice: STOP ACTING LIKE U KNOW us

EchoFiveKilo
01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
U don't get it we are saying we don't care what they do to the weapons it's hard for me to take u seriously when u assume we complained about double kills when I didn't at all
Here's advice: STOP ACTING LIKE U KNOW us

Relax with the teenage "you dont know me" concept, I really dont care. And no one cares that you dont care what happens to the weapons, the large majority of people want them in game, if you didnt want them removed, then why are you voicing your concerns?

mikeyf1999
01-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Relax with the teenage "you dont know me" concept, I really dont care. And no one cares that you dont care what happens to the weapons, the large majority of people want them in game, if you didnt want them removed, then why are you voicing your concerns?

How do you know what the majority people want this is still what you want
If you don't care then why do you keep replying to how we really feel and calling us selfish
You basically retracted you own statement you're stating how we're selfish for less weapons and then when I say you don't know us
You assume it's a teenage concept it's not you don't know us so you don't know how we all think
Again I ask if people don't care then why does it concern you I still have a right to voice my concerns (oh I''m sorry is that not aloud on the forums do I always need to follow
the crowd)
I am dbz by the way

EchoFiveKilo
01-10-2014, 03:42 AM
How do you know what the majority people want this is still what you want
If you don't care then why do you keep replying to how we really feel and calling us selfish
You basically retracted you own statement you're stating how we're selfish for less weapons and then when I say you don't know us
You assume it's a teenage concept it's not you don't know us so you don't know how we all think
Again I ask if people don't care then why does it concern you I still have a right to voice my concerns (oh I''m sorry is that not aloud on the forums do I always need to follow
the crowd)
I am dbz by the way

Okay relax bro, I dont see how removing weapons furthers the game or franchise in any way. Removing them hurts people, simply keeping them there wont hurt anyone, if people would just learn to ignore them, it doesnt BREAK or hurt the game in any way. How about we complain about more pressing matters like glitches, reusing kill animations, etc?

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 05:14 AM
Okay relax bro, I dont see how removing weapons furthers the game or franchise in any way. Removing them hurts people, simply keeping them there wont hurt anyone, if people would just learn to ignore them, it doesnt BREAK or hurt the game in any way. How about we complain about more pressing matters like glitches, reusing kill animations, etc?

I know trust me right now I am relaxed u will know when I'm not
I'm not saying to remove weapons at all
I didn't experience any glitches (I played trough twice)
I could care less about them reusing kill animations

KingNova7
01-10-2014, 06:09 AM
I don't want to be an armory. I just want the freedom to plan, choose, and have fun.

Fatal-Feit
01-10-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm 50/50 with the limited array of weapons. I like the concept and I appreciate the attempt in balancing, but the game's still unbalanced and the lack of animations makes the lack of effort very apparent.

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm 50/50 with the limited array of weapons. I like the concept and I appreciate the attempt in balancing, but the game's still unbalanced and the lack of animations makes the lack of effort very apparent.

Let's face it it's always unbalanced when you get used to it

EchoFiveKilo
01-10-2014, 12:13 PM
I know trust me right now I am relaxed u will know when I'm not
I'm not saying to remove weapons at all
I didn't experience any glitches (I played trough twice)
I could care less about them reusing kill animations

I've only experienced minor glitches, but to me, that is a more serious matter than this. I mean some guy suggested removing the sword from the game, only because he didnt use it. I liked fighting with the sword, and all the other weapons, so that kind of bothers me.

And you do, or will care about them reusing kill animations in future, because it makes the combat tedious, and that youve been there done that. Plus, its Connor's distinct fighting style. Making two separate people perform the exact same bodily movements is kind of immersion breaking. Not to mention ACIV making the animation look worse.

Fatal-Feit
01-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Let's face it it's always unbalanced when you get used to it

Nope. AC:3 had a solid balancing, aside from the occasional glitches and dumb weapon menu. Every guard were unique and required a special way to defeat them.

EX: The Jagers couldn't be attacked or kicked. You were required to either perform a double tool kill or use a range tool to stun or knock them down.

I might make a solid video comparison of AC:3 and AC:IV's combat when I finish my current playthrough.

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Nope. AC:3 had a solid balancing, aside from the occasional glitches and dumb weapon menu. Every guard were unique and required a special way to defeat them.

EX: The Jagers couldn't be attacked or kicked. You were required to either perform a double tool kill or use a range tool to stun or knock them down.

I might make a solid video comparison of AC:3 and AC:IV's combat when I finish my current playthrough.
Like I said once u get used to it it's easy (at least for me)

EchoFiveKilo
01-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Just like every game though. Even AC1s templars were easy once you got the hang of it, people praise AC1s combat for being the most difficult, which it was, but after a few playthroughs its exactly the same as the other ACs.

Fatal-Feit
01-10-2014, 12:43 PM

Easy and Balance are different things.

mikeyf1999
01-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Just like every game though. Even AC1s templars were easy once you got the hang of it, people praise AC1s combat for being the most difficult, which it was, but after a few playthroughs its exactly the same as the other ACs.

Exactly people say the templars are hard to beat but you could easily either a) hidden blade counter or B) Kill them as soon as they start taunting

mikeyf1999
01-10-2014, 05:54 PM

By the way I almost forgot sometimes I didn't have to stun the Jagers to kill them I was able to still kill them in a killstreak

EchoFiveKilo
01-10-2014, 09:58 PM
By the way I almost forgot sometimes I didn't have to stun the Jagers to kill them I was able to still kill them in a killstreak

Only when they arent holding a weapon

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Only when they arent holding a weapon

No it was while they were holding a weapon

Kagurra
01-10-2014, 10:07 PM
No it was while they were holding a weapon

Then that only happened when they were already fighting somebody else or just recovered from a stun or something of that nature.

BATISTABUS
01-10-2014, 10:12 PM
I love it, and I hope they strip some more away with the next release. I hate when items become either completely obsolete or have no specific use. If a weapon doesn't have a unique function, why even bother putting it in the game? AC1 got it right.

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 10:14 PM
I love it, and I hope they strip some more away with the next release. I hate when items become either completely obsolete or have no specific use. If a weapon doesn't have a unique function, why even bother putting it in the game? AC1 got it right.

Don't say that cause then somebody will call u selfish and asse u don't care about other fans *cough* king

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Then that only happened when they were already fighting somebody else or just recovered from a stun or something of that nature.

No I think it could've just been a glitch or something of that nature

Kagurra
01-10-2014, 10:21 PM

AC1 did. Combat wise, I mean. I don't mind having slightly more than just 4 tools and that's it.

What I HATE about AC3 and 4's combat is that certain enemies, heavies, jagers, etc, are only killable with a certain process in combat. Forget ranged weapons for this example. You have to press A (or whatever) and then kill them, or if you're using another weapon, press A to stun them twice so they're knocked to the ground. Jagers were only kill-able if you stun-countered them. That's so cookie-cutter and boring, having to do the same thing over and over. And no, a headshot here or a ropedart there does not get rid of it.

Enemies should be challenging because they're a strong BA enemy, not somebody with an incredible invulnerability to specific tactics but a different specific tactic cuts them down in 0.5 seconds ALA stun > double sword slash to back. (heavies) It just gets boring. Currently in AC games, you are god. Unless there's a fluke and your character doesn't roll out of the way multiple times when a heavy tries to hit you for no reason even though you pressed the button, there's no threat, no matter how big the army is, which wasn't the case in AC1.

In AC1, it was somewhat challenging, and even if you had the timing down for everything, there were so many guards and it actually did overwhelm you because you couldn't kill 19 guys in 7 seconds. That needs to go. End of story. It's okay to backtrack Ubi. You're going to get the butthurt scrubs that go "Why is this Assassin such a whimp? I could kill hundreds of guys with Connor and Edward (and Ezio in B and R) but this guy just sucks. This isn't fun.", but screw those people. Focus on making a good game... with good combat.

BATISTABUS
01-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Honestly, AC4 would've been fine with just the dual swords (no sword upgrades), bare fists, the sleep dart, the pistols (no auto-aim), and possibly the rope dart (although that weapon could use a few tweaks). Although it might seem contradictory, limitations in difficult situations breed creativity.

Kagurra
01-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Honestly, AC4 would've been fine with just the dual swords (no sword upgrades), bare fists, the sleep dart, the pistols (no auto-aim), and possibly the rope dart (although that weapon could use a few tweaks). Although it might seem contradictory, limitations in difficult situations breed creativity.

There's no room for creativity with the current combat system.

LoyalACFan
01-10-2014, 10:24 PM
Don't say that cause then somebody will call u selfish and asse u don't care about other fans *cough* king

"Other fans" happen to agree with him. You can't just assume YOUR opinion is shared by everyone else outside of Batistabus...

Personally, I think he's right, we've had way too many unnecessary weapons in the past. Revelations the worst offender. Let's see... Sword, knife, hookblade, gun, poison blade, poison darts, crossbow, smoke bombs, throwing knives, tactical bombs, distraction bombs, and lethal bombs...? He's supposed to be an Assassin, not a walking weapons rack.

BATISTABUS
01-10-2014, 10:29 PM
There's no room for creativity with the current combat system.
I agree that the combat system needs a fundamental change.

I hope that one day we will get an Assassin that is actually an incompetent fighter; someone who gets destroyed in combat and must actually rely heavily on stealth except in one-on-one situations (where even those are difficult).

dbzk1999
01-10-2014, 10:47 PM
"Other fans" happen to agree with him. You can't just assume YOUR opinion is shared by everyone else outside of Batistabus...

Personally, I think he's right, we've had way too many unnecessary weapons in the past. Revelations the worst offender. Let's see... Sword, knife, hookblade, gun, poison blade, poison darts, crossbow, smoke bombs, throwing knives, tactical bombs, distraction bombs, and lethal bombs...? He's supposed to be an Assassin, not a walking weapons rack.

What are you talking about I agree with Bats and I could care less what others think but not when somebody is called selfish for thinking that way

Hans684
01-10-2014, 11:01 PM
I agree that the combat system needs a fundamental change.

I hope that one day we will get an Assassin that is actually an incompetent fighter; someone who gets destroyed in combat and must actually rely heavily on stealth except in one-on-one situations (where even those are difficult).

Or give the players an option to be "god" or "assassin" with a skill upgrade system and protagonist upgrade system. Sure the combat/stealth/navigation has to change for it function perfectly, but you gett the point. Your rules, your way & your game.

KingNova7
01-10-2014, 11:56 PM

here is a quick glimpse at whats wrong with society

KingNova7
01-10-2014, 11:58 PM

no it doesn't actually. That's factually incorrect. Options in restricted situations breeds creativity.

BATISTABUS
01-11-2014, 12:04 AM
no it doesn't actually. That's factually incorrect. Options in restricted situations breeds creativity.
Options in a restricted situation creates the illusion of creativity. Creativity is meaningless when there is no actual benefit from choosing one option over another. You're not forced to think critically, and any difference is purely aesthetic. When it comes to choosing between weapons, you might as well flip a coin.

KingNova7
01-11-2014, 12:18 AM
Options in a restricted situation creates the illusion of creativity. Creativity is meaningless when there is no actual benefit from choosing one option over another. You're not forced to think critically, and any difference is purely aesthetic. When it comes to choosing between weapons, you might as well flip a coin.
how the game is set up now, there is no creativity. Even with less weapons. Unless the restructure how they do things combats wise overall, then the limited weapons won't matter. I can go through the whole game with Dual wields, a gun and a hidden blade just as easily as I can go through the game with Dual Wields, a short sword, a bow, a blow dart, and bombs. Its not harder. Its playstyle.

I don't want to be a walking armory. I just want to choose what weapons I want to carry at any given time. No more than 3 imo. But I want to be able to choose those weapons. Maybe I'd rather use a knife than dual wields. That should be my choice. I don't use dual wields, i just use a knife IN PLACE OF IT.

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 12:19 AM

On the contrary, having sparse resources and options forces you to get creative with your approach. Which is more creative; "I don't have many weapons, so I'll sneak around the back way, take out that guy, use his body to attract another to walk past the hiding spot I'll be lurking in, etc. etc. etc." or "let's see, which of my 15 projectile weapons should I shoot this guy with?"

BATISTABUS
01-11-2014, 12:31 AM
how the game is set up now, there is no creativity. Even with less weapons. Unless the restructure how they do things combats wise overall, then the limited weapons won't matter. I can go through the whole game with Dual wields, a gun and a hidden blade just as easily as I can go through the game with Dual Wields, a short sword, a bow, a blow dart, and bombs. Its not harder. Its playstyle.

I don't want to be a walking armory. I just want to choose what weapons I want to carry at any given time. No more than 3 imo. But I want to be able to choose those weapons. Maybe I'd rather use a knife than dual wields. That should be my choice. I don't use dual wields, i just use a knife IN PLACE OF IT.
I just don't agree with that first paragraph. Even in its current form, limiting weapons certainly limits options, which makes things more difficult but more rewarding.

But wouldn't it be better for the depth of the game if there were a tactical reason to use the knife over the dual swords aside from "I feel like looking at a knife right now"?

KingNova7
01-11-2014, 12:35 AM
I just don't agree with that first paragraph. Even in its current form, limiting weapons certainly limits options, which makes things more difficult but more rewarding.

But wouldn't it be better for the depth of the game if there were a tactical reason to use the knife over the dual swords aside from "I feel like looking at a knife right now"?
i prefer the "use what you want" approach. If some weapons had advantages over others than most people will just use the most overpowered weapon. Those same people will come to forum and complain about the game being too easy. if all weapons are relativity equal but different in play style than people will use what they like the most

KingNova7
01-11-2014, 12:39 AM
On the contrary, having sparse resources and options forces you to get creative with your approach. Which is more creative; "I don't have many weapons, so I'll sneak around the back way, take out that guy, use his body to attract another to walk past the hiding spot I'll be lurking in, etc. etc. etc." or "let's see, which of my 15 projectile weapons should I shoot this guy with?"

except in no game of AC4 did we have more than 2 different long ranged projectiles. Bombs don't count. You could go through the whole game without using them outside of a tutorial mission. I never did. Plus are they truly projectiles?

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 12:47 AM
except in no game of AC4 did we have more than 2 different long ranged projectiles. Bombs don't count. You could go through the whole game without using them outside of a tutorial mission. I never did. Plus are they truly projectiles?

Obviously I was exaggerating for dramatic effect, but that's not the point. We had a crossbow, gun, throwing knives, poison darts, and bombs on our person at all times in Revelations. And yes, bombs count, why wouldn't they? So what if you didn't use them... That's just proving my point that AC has, in the past, had a bunch of useless weapons you don't need. And in the case of bombs, an entire gameplay loop built around one of those useless weapons.

BATISTABUS
01-11-2014, 12:53 AM
We had a crossbow, gun, throwing knives, poison darts, and bombs on our person at all times in Revelations.
Don't forget recruits, arrow storm, and factions you can send in.

KingNova7
01-11-2014, 12:54 AM
Obviously I was exaggerating for dramatic effect, but that's not the point. We had a crossbow, gun, throwing knives, poison darts, and bombs on our person at all times in Revelations. And yes, bombs count, why wouldn't they? So what if you didn't use them... That's just proving my point that AC has, in the past, had a bunch of useless weapons you don't need. And in the case of bombs, an entire gameplay loop built around one of those useless weapons.
and ACR is widely regarded as the worst offender of what you speak. EVERYONE agrees. Stop using the extreme to bolster your argument. Use a collective source, not point at arguable the worst game of the series.

NO ONE THINKS THAT WE SHOULD GO BACK TO THE ACR WEAPON SET UP> PLEASE BE QUIET ABOUT IT. I just want alot of OPTION. i don't want to be able to carry alll of them. Perhaps I have an armory that I have to physically go to in order to switch out weapons. that sounds a fun and realistic feature.

KingNova7
01-11-2014, 12:57 AM
Don't forget recruits, arrow storm, and factions you can send in.

NONE of which are in the most recent games. I just want my weapons back. I don't give a darn about being Overpowered. Because I do agree that limitations must be held. Have the limit of 3 weapons of your choice at any given time is realistic and provides breeding ground for strategic creativity. Not just simply taking all of the weapons out of the game.

SixKeys
01-11-2014, 01:03 AM
NONE of which are in the most recent games. I just want my weapons back. I don't give a darn about being Overpowered. Because I do agree that limitations must be held. Have the limit of 3 weapons of your choice at any given time is realistic and provides breeding ground for strategic creativity. Not just simply taking all of the weapons out of the game.

What are you talking about? AC3 had recruits and this time they even had LOTS of different powers. They could snipe your targets from afar, ambush them, lure them away, knock them out as your bodyguard and even get you into restricted places. AC4 had factions, including drunk pirates who would fight enemeis for you. The only one missing is arrow storm and you could argue that the sniper recruit option was AC3's version (albeit less overpowered) of that.

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 01:04 AM
and ACR is widely regarded as the worst offender of what you speak. EVERYONE agrees. Stop using the extreme to bolster your argument. Use a collective source, not point at arguable the worst game of the series.

NO ONE THINKS THAT WE SHOULD GO BACK TO THE ACR WEAPON SET UP> PLEASE BE QUIET ABOUT IT. I just want alot of OPTION. i don't want to be able to carry alll of them. Perhaps I have an armory that I have to physically go to in order to switch out weapons. that sounds a fun and realistic feature.

Actually yes, some people do want to go back to the Ezio trilogy style of a million weapons hanging off your character. But you obviously don't, so I'll leave that alone.

As for having to manually switch out your weapons at an armory... That would be a bad way to balance it. Imagine if we had every ranged weapon from ACR, except we could only carry one at a time. You'd still be just as overpowered, but you'd just have to be hassled with constantly running to and from your armory to pick up what you want.

KingNova7
01-11-2014, 01:14 AM
Actually yes, some people do want to go back to the Ezio trilogy style of a million weapons hanging off your character. But you obviously don't, so I'll leave that alone.

As for having to manually switch out your weapons at an armory... That would be a bad way to balance it. Imagine if we had every ranged weapon from ACR, except we could only carry one at a time. You'd still be just as overpowered, but you'd just have to be hassled with constantly running to and from your armory to pick up what you want.

Now did I say, lets have the weapons from ACR? And did I not just tell you to stop bringning up the horrible game? I just want this:

Heavy Weapon(removed from game)
Blunt Weapns(removed from game)
Daggers(removed from game)
Swords(replaced with Dual Wields)
Ranged Weapons

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 01:27 AM
Now did I say, lets have the weapons from ACR? And did I not just tell you to stop bringning up the horrible game? I just want this:

Heavy Weapon(removed from game)
Blunt Weapns(removed from game)
Daggers(removed from game)
Swords(replaced with Dual Wields)
Ranged Weapons

So basically, you just want more combat animations. Because that's the only difference between any of the weapon classes, they just have different animations. They don't require a different fighting technique, or one doesn't provide a tactical advantage over the other, they just look different when you fight. You can win literally any battle in AC with your fists.

In that case, just disarm AC4 guards to get axes and single swords. Problem solved.

KingNova7
01-11-2014, 01:33 AM
So basically, you just want more combat animations. Because that's the only difference between any of the weapon classes, they just have different animations. They don't require a different fighting technique, or one doesn't provide a tactical advantage over the other, they just look different when you fight. You can win literally any battle in AC with your fists.

In that case, just disarm AC4 guards to get axes and single swords. Problem solved.

ok then yea, i guess your right. I do want my old animations back.
So why can't I just KEEP a sword. I don't want to have to take a weapon every fight just so I can use my favorite animations. there was no reason to remove the melee weapons anyway considering the real problem with the franchise has been the over poweredness of the ranged weapons. that STILL CONTINUES in AC4. Blowdarts. Beserker. Instant win, for almost any assassination in the game. The melee weapons did not need removing. The ranged weapons are the the ones that were the problem yet we actually have more of those than melee weapons in ac4

EchoFiveKilo
01-11-2014, 07:57 AM

Notsureifsrs.

Obselete, for YOU. AC has always been about playing it the way you want, so dont think you are speaking for all fans.

LoyalACFan
01-11-2014, 08:16 AM
ok then yea, i guess your right. I do want my old animations back.
So why can't I just KEEP a sword. I don't want to have to take a weapon every fight just so I can use my favorite animations. there was no reason to remove the melee weapons anyway considering the real problem with the franchise has been the over poweredness of the ranged weapons. that STILL CONTINUES in AC4. Blowdarts. Beserker. Instant win, for almost any assassination in the game. The melee weapons did not need removing. The ranged weapons are the the ones that were the problem yet we actually have more of those than melee weapons in ac4

But the thing about the melee weapons is, they should be there for more than just a different animation set. If we get a bazillion weapon types with no purpose except a new animation set, that's a problem too. I agree that there weren't enough combat animations in AC4, but the solution for that isn't to just throw in a crapload of ancillary weapon types for no other reason than to look pretty.

As for berserk darts, I disagree that they're an instant win. They kill the guard, but they also attract all nearby guards from their post to fight him, which makes it more likely that the survivors will turn about in all directions and spot you, breaking your stealth completely. If anything, it's the sleep darts that are OP, since in their most upgraded state, they knock out enemies for quite a long time. Time enough to infiltrate wherever you're going and get out before they even begin to stir.

Kit572
01-11-2014, 10:17 AM

+111

:(

TexasToast712
01-11-2014, 11:27 AM
1. Stop making games set in the 16th and 17th century.
2. Get rid of powdered wigs, basket hilted swords, rapiers, and cutlass'.
3. Get rid of muskets, and flintlocks.
4. Bring back heavy weapons.
5. Bring back daggers and short swords.
6. Give us more traditional and badass looking swords and axes.
7. Give us fighting style options. (Choose between dual wield, and single and two handed.) Being forced to dual wield sucks.
8. Bring back throwing knifes.
9. Bring back cool armors and the armor health system.
10. Give us a silent bow and/or crossbow.
11. Let us pick one ranged based weapon, one fighting type weapon, and one grenade type.

Problem solved

DinoSteve1
01-11-2014, 11:28 AM
I miss the crossbow for long range silent kills.

TexasToast712
01-11-2014, 11:33 AM
They should give us a mini crossbow like the navigator in mp can get. Just one though. That would be boss.

Kit572
01-11-2014, 11:36 AM
9. Bring back armor

You lost me at this.

If they let you remove the armor, sure. But if it's forced like in Revelations, brotherhood, and 2? I'll jump off the empire state building and hope I land on a sword stuck in the ground thus impaling myself.

TexasToast712
01-11-2014, 11:38 AM
You lost me at this.

If they let you remove the armor, sure. But if it's forced like in Revelations, brotherhood, and 2? I'll jump off the empire state building and hope I land on a sword stuck in the ground thus impaling myself.
I wouldnt be against it being optional as long as it is an option.

DinoSteve1
01-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Having Armour all depends upon when the game is set, if its set after Black Flag it makes little sense to have armour.

Kit572
01-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I wouldnt be against it being optional as long as it is an option.

If they do that, then everybody will be happy which is a good thing.

Having Armour all depends upon when the game is set, if its set after Black Flag it makes little sense to have armour.

Agreed

TexasToast712
01-11-2014, 11:55 AM

Which is why I REALLY want them to go back in time. My least favorite part of history is the 17th and 18th century. I miss medieval times.

Kit572
01-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Which is why I REALLY want them to go back in time. My least favorite part of history is the 17th and 18th century. I miss medieval times.

Medieval times definately do seem darker (e.g. crusades), and one of the most interesting periods of time. I am personally interested in seeing Ancient Rome and Feudal Japan AC games.

Dev_Anj
01-11-2014, 12:07 PM
2. Get rid of powdered wigs, basket hilted swords, rapiers, and cutlass'.
3. Get rid of muskets, and flintlocks.
4. Bring back heavy weapons.
5. Bring back daggers and short swords.
6. Give us more traditional and badass looking swords and axes.
7. Give us fighting style options. (Choose between dual wield, and single and two handed.) Being forced to dual wield sucks.
8. Bring back throwing knifes.
9. Bring back cool armors and the armor health system.
10. Give us a silent bow and/or crossbow.
11. Let us pick one ranged based weapon, one fighting type weapon, and one grenade type.

Problem solved

What's wrong with basket hilted swords, rapiers and cutlasses? You can make good animations for those weapons.

Yes, they can reduce the involvement of guns, but when used in the right manner, it can make combat interesting.

Aren't heavy weapons there in Assassin's Creed 4? You could store them from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood onwards, but from what I've heard, they were clunky, slow and nearly useless.

Throwing knifes are there in Assassin's Creed 4. I think if they are brought back as a stored weapon, they would be need to be rebalanced so that they wouldn't kill everyone in one hit, nor be near useless against enemies. Also allow us to freeaim them.

Armours are alright as long as they don't make for ridiculous differences. What do you mean by armour health system, the health points being increased by armour? I'd prefer if armour would actually block hits and lower some injured effects.

If crossbows are to be brought back, I don't want them to be overpowered like in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Besides, doesn't the blow pipe offer the same sort of advantages as the crossbow?

DinoSteve1
01-11-2014, 12:44 PM
No there is no silent kill with the blow pipe. You are suppose to be an Assassin, if you can't kill your target without making any noise then you are a ****ty Assassin. The Crossbow should be brought back and it should always be a one hit kill.

jdowny
01-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Assassins have always been walking tanks with a vast array of weapons - though Revelations took that to new heights, AC IV still had the hidden blades, swords, pistols, throwing knives, axe, sleep dart, beserk dart, smoke bomb and rope dart. Already you get the impression that too many features are creeping back in.

Aside from the issues that the OP has stated, which frankly makes Ubisoft appear downright lazy, it's hard to care about weapon upgrades. I'm not even entirely sure what the differences are between the damage, speed and counter stats on swords or why I should care. And for a game that's about pirates you'd think that the weapons would be a lot more exciting. What we have are the same weapons with slightly different skins and slight variations in speed but the exact same animations. And this has always been a problem with the series.

In my opinion the series needs to take it right back to basics - back to Altair's limited but powerful arsenal. As you progressed through the game you learned different skills and abilities that gave you a sense of development. In AC III and IV the characters are immediately experts in every form of combat right from the start and there's no reward for getting better at combat.

Strip the arsenal back to perhaps four key weapons and you suddenly make each one important. Add lots of customisation options and you have given the player choices and a level of control that wasn't possible before - you also introduce an element of progression. If you reward players for playing how they want (stealthily, loudly or with as few kills as possible) instead of punishing them for not playing how you want (those damn optional objectives), then the customised weapons could become an incredibly important part of combat.

TexasToast712
01-11-2014, 02:03 PM
What's wrong with basket hilted swords, rapiers and cutlasses? You can make good animations for those weapons.

Yes, they can reduce the involvement of guns, but when used in the right manner, it can make combat interesting.

Aren't heavy weapons there in Assassin's Creed 4? You could store them from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood onwards, but from what I've heard, they were clunky, slow and nearly useless.

Throwing knifes are there in Assassin's Creed 4. I think if they are brought back as a stored weapon, they would be need to be rebalanced so that they wouldn't kill everyone in one hit, nor be near useless against enemies. Also allow us to freeaim them.

Armours are alright as long as they don't make for ridiculous differences. What do you mean by armour health system, the health points being increased by armour? I'd prefer if armour would actually block hits and lower some injured effects.

If crossbows are to be brought back, I don't want them to be overpowered like in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Besides, doesn't the blow pipe offer the same sort of advantages as the crossbow?
1. I think swords from 17 and 18th century look like decorative toys. I want to brutally mess someone up and see limbs flying. I dont want to poke someone to death with a decorative needle.

2. Im game for any guns other than their earliest forms because flintlock, wheel lock, blunderbuss, and muskets were all inaccuracte, ineffective weapons that you would be better off throwing at your target. I dont like the way they are portrayed in the Assassins creed series.

3. I want equipable heavy weapons again, There is no excuse to remove the feature. The Stocco was my favorite sword in Brotherhood and would just absoutely destroy everything. Plus it makes me feel badass.

4. Same goes for throwing knifes. They should have never been removed as a equipable option.

5. Armor looks badass. Just give me some armor dammit. I dont care if its present day. I want some badass armor.

6. Balance out crossbows by making you choose to have only one ranged weapon. Blow pipe, crossbow, longbow, throwing knives, or pistol. Make your pick, shouldnt be able to have all at once.

Dev_Anj
01-11-2014, 02:09 PM
1. I think swords from 17 and 18th century look like decorative toys. I want to brutally mess someone up and see limbs flying. I dont want to poke someone to death with a decorative needle.

Excuse me, does this look like a decorative needle?

http://cdn.mrcostumes.com/images/pz/2493/pirate-cutlass-sword-721415.jpg

TexasToast712
01-11-2014, 02:16 PM
Excuse me, does this look like a decorative needle?

http://cdn.mrcostumes.com/images/pz/2493/pirate-cutlass-sword-721415.jpg
A rare few from that time period werent bad. Im talking crap like this.
http://img0064.popscreencdn.com/133376454_antique-18th-c-french-gold-inlaid-court-sword-rapier-no-.jpg
or this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Different_Rapiers.jpg

DinoSteve1
01-11-2014, 02:29 PM
lol, thinking a sword is any less dangerous because of its size.

Kit572
01-11-2014, 02:46 PM
lol, thinking a sword is any less dangerous because of its size.

And claiming a toy cutlass is brutal...

Dev_Anj
01-11-2014, 02:53 PM
And claiming a toy cutlass is brutal...

How can you say that cutlass is a toy?

Kit572
01-11-2014, 02:55 PM
How can you say that cutlass is a toy?

Look closely. The Blade and handle are made entirely from plastic.

Plus, I once had a toy sword exactly like that one when I was a kid.

Dev_Anj
01-11-2014, 03:10 PM
By the way, here's an interesting article. It includes mention of some weapons requested, like daggers and crrosbows:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071223184117/http://www.geocities.com/captcutlass/Weap.html

BATISTABUS
01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Notsureifsrs.

Obselete, for YOU. AC has always been about playing it the way you want, so dont think you are speaking for all fans.
I'm completely serious. Are you?

Yeah, that's nice and all when your choices actually mean something. Having the freedom to choose only truly matters in gaming when there is a noticeable difference in consequence when choosing one option over another. I'd rather have 3 weapons that have a meaningful impact on my gameplay experience than 20 that only truly change animations.

EchoFiveKilo
01-12-2014, 11:41 AM

Yeah, that's nice and all when your choices actually mean something. Having the freedom to choose only truly matters in gaming when there is a noticeable difference in consequence when choosing one option over another. I'd rather have 3 weapons that have a meaningful impact on my gameplay experience than 20 that only truly change animations.

But different animations will surely be enough. It makes the combat more fun, if we cant have meaningful choices, the animations will do.

BATISTABUS
01-12-2014, 01:25 PM
But different animations will surely be enough. It makes the combat more fun, if we cant have meaningful choices, the animations will do.
That seems like a cheap thing to settle for.

"The combat is shallow and boring, but I'll let it slide since I can watch it happen a bunch of different ways."

And it's not like having a large variety of weapons can't work. In Red Dead Redemption, different guns actually feel different to use and have a notable change in effectiveness, providing a game-based incentive to upgrade. I just don't think it has worked or can work with Assassin's Creed without just making the game easier.

Shahkulu101
01-12-2014, 02:54 PM
I miss having heavy weapons and being able to throw them - nothing funnier than watching a guard fly ten feet with an axe embedded in his skull.

ziljn
01-12-2014, 07:39 PM

They don't to have mean anything at all. People have different tastes and like having choices. Period. It's not necessarily about having the most effective weapon for gameplay purposes, but having preferences. It's really no different than having 20 different costume options which are completely meaningless to the game but matter to the player because they prefer one look over another. For many, it's the same with the weapons. They just prefer one to another regardless of "meaning".

Personally, I like to switch it up and try different things to keep it interesting because using the same couple of weapons and seeing the same combat over and over just gets old and boring.

EchoFiveKilo
01-12-2014, 09:23 PM
I miss having heavy weapons and being able to throw them - nothing funnier than watching a guard fly ten feet with an axe embedded in his skull.

You can still throw the blunt weapon and heavy axe in AC3, just press Y, and he'll embed the axe in someones face.

dxsxhxcx
01-12-2014, 09:24 PM

I couldn't agree more... it scares me how many people are so easily pleased with anything they throw at them...

EchoFiveKilo
01-12-2014, 09:25 PM
That seems like a cheap thing to settle for.

"The combat is shallow and boring, but I'll let it slide since I can watch it happen a bunch of different ways."

And it's not like having a large variety of weapons can't work. In Red Dead Redemption, different guns actually feel different to use and have a notable change in effectiveness, providing a game-based incentive to upgrade. I just don't think it has worked or can work with Assassin's Creed without just making the game easier.

True, but I like to see new combat animations. Realising AC3 was basically 80% of AC3s animation was terribly disappointing. I mean yes AC3 had the best kills ever, but to reuse them, and make them look worse in ACIV is just a no go.

And it doesnt have to be the way you described in AC. I mean yes it would be nice, but its not a total requirement. Besides in AC3 you could upgrade your weapons as you progress, pistols that kill in 1 shot, swords that kill quicker, etc.

Kagurra
01-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Fighting 5+ armed guards with your bare fists shouldn't be as easy as it is. Like Batistabus said, things like fists can't just be an animation change.

AC5 needs a change in the combat system or I'm gonna be sad/mad.

Hans684
01-12-2014, 09:30 PM
Fighting 5+ armed guards with your bare fists shouldn't be as easy as it is. Like Batistabus said, things like fists can't just be an animation change.

Fist = more or less dead agains weapons. There, now it is balanced and Batman does it all the time.

TexasToast712
01-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Id kill to have a AC game with one of these in it.
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4583938226063497&pid=15.1

Roman weapons are awesome.

dxsxhxcx
01-12-2014, 09:44 PM
Fist = more or less dead agains weapons. There, now it is balanced and Batman does it all the time.

Batman's enemies use guns, that's a different story, IMO fists should have a a smaller counter window and maybe disarm should work more like a combo where the animation will require more buttons to be pressed in order to disarm the enemy..

LoyalACFan
01-12-2014, 09:44 PM

Honestly, if they just go back to the AC3 combat I'd be totally OK. Combat was the one thing AC3 nailed. The only things that needs to be changed are the OP fists, like you said, and adding more animations. I'm actually OK with melee weapon upgrades only being cosmetic like they basically always have been. The combat is easy and will probably never get harder, and I've come to accept that. The current combat system, with the counter-kill-centric mechanics and kill streaks to boot, isn't built for upgradeable weapons. The only way I could figure they could make stats meaningful is to have some weapons that could counter-kill/kill-streak elites and brutes, but that ridiculously OP.

Kagurra
01-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Honestly, if they just go back to the AC3 combat I'd be totally OK. Combat was the one thing AC3 nailed. The only things that needs to be changed are the OP fists, like you said, and adding more animations. I'm actually OK with melee weapon upgrades only being cosmetic like they basically always have been. The combat is easy and will probably never get harder, and I've come to accept that. The current combat system, with the counter-kill-centric mechanics and kill streaks to boot, isn't built for upgradeable weapons. The only way I could figure they could make stats meaningful is to have some weapons that could counter-kill/kill-streak elites and brutes, but that ridiculously OP.

Or they could limit the amount of killstreak kills you can get down to 1 for starting weapons, 2 for upgraded, 3 for max upgraded, etc. But I seriously think it needs to change the fundamentals of the combat. It's just really boring...

LoyalACFan
01-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Or they could limit the amount of killstreak kills you can get down to 1 for starting weapons, 2 for upgraded, 3 for max upgraded, etc. But I seriously think it needs to change the fundamentals of the combat. It's just really boring...

It's boring in AC4, but I always found AC3's to be pretty engaging. Maybe I'm remembering it through rose-colored glasses, but it seemed like guards were more aggressive and the elite archetypes weren't just annoying combo-breakers like the captains in AC4. AC3's had a much better flow.

Hans684
01-12-2014, 10:11 PM

Some love it, some hate it, some find it boring etc... That's why i had the idea that will balance it, but the player was the one who did it. Think Fallout but you don't change the character/story. What you change is the difficulty with the amout tools and skills you choose to have.

Kagurra
01-13-2014, 01:00 AM
Some love it, some hate it, some find it boring etc... That's why i had the idea that will balance it, but the player was the one who did it. Think Fallout but you don't change the character/story. What you change is the difficulty with the amout tools and skills you choose to have.

I'm not thinking Fallout when it comes to difficulty if that's what you mean... Churning up the difficulty setting in Fallout to anything higher than Hard makes everything a super unrealistic bullet sponge. Yes, you can stomp the difficulty with certain setups and perks, but it's just silly how many shots some enemies take.

gnosis_guyver1
01-13-2014, 01:15 AM
Fist were good in ac 2 to revelations especially the sand/dirt in the eyes trick geez why was that removed that actually makes sense when an unarmed assassin is surrounded or facing against a superior opponent. Assassins were so successful due to unconventional fighting aka dirty tactics. while soldiers of the era were stuck with what they were trained with assassins did what ever it took i miss the dirt in eyes trick.

Kagurra
01-13-2014, 01:20 AM
Fist were good in ac 2 to revelations especially the sand/dirt in the eyes trick geez why was that removed that actually makes sense when an unarmed assassin is surrounded or facing against a superior opponent. Assassins were so successful due to unconventional fighting aka dirty tactics. while soldiers of the era were stuck with what they were trained with assassins did what ever it took i miss the dirt in eyes trick.

I never really used it myself, but it was a neat concept. The problem was it took forever to do. You had to stand there holding down the button doing nothing else for a while, then he eventually threw the sand. They need to make it more responsive.