PDA

View Full Version : Best innovation from each game?

SixKeys
12-31-2013, 04:47 PM
If you could only pick one new feature/innovation from each AC game so far, what would be the best from each title?

AC1: Since it was the first, everything was pretty innovative, but I would have to go with the parkour/verticality. No other game to date has matched AC's level of freedom when it comes to navigating your environment.
AC2: Crowd blending.
ACB: Brotherhood recruits.
ACR: Bombs.
AC3: Naval.
AC: Liberation: Personas/disguises.
AC4: Seamlessness.

funnyman44
12-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Improved naval for AC4.
Warehouses, convoys, ships, etc: being able to raid what you wish when you wish and how you wish.

x___Luffy___x
12-31-2013, 06:11 PM
yup, the freedom to navigate the awesome world however we want is the core and the best feature AC has. there is no open world game comes to mind which excels AC in this department.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-31-2013, 09:58 PM
AC1 was innovative for its parkour and verticality? LOL Someone Didn't play Prince of Persia ;)

AC1: Not being a 3D platformer, hack and slash, or a shooter in a world full of success chasing developers.
AC2: Cinematics (IMO Best to date in an AC game)
ACB: Fort/Restricted Area Captures
ACR: Combat
AC3: Fluent Organic World
AC4: Open World Exploration

roostersrule2
01-01-2014, 04:45 AM
AC1: Climby stuff.
AC2: Tombs/Economic system.
ACB: Recruits/MP.
ACR: Hookblade/Cinematics. (IMO best to date in an AC game)
AC3: Animations.
AC4: Boats.

Consus_E
01-01-2014, 05:19 AM
AC1: Assassin's Creed...
AC2: Improvement of the core mechanics, Economy, Tombs
ACB: Multiplayer/Apprentices/Side Activities
ACR: Tools (though a lot of the tools were redundant), Dens (not den defense but the concept of maintaining assassin dens)
AC3: Natural Environments, Sloped Surfaces (that functions perfectly in combat), Animations, Seasons
AC4: Seamless World, Side Activities, Naval

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 05:28 AM
Surprised people didn mention how in ac2 you can swim

EzioAssassin51
01-01-2014, 06:47 AM

I guess people are finding things more innovative than swimming, however, I agree that was a big improvement.

AC: Introduced the whole series, something new and fresh that hadn't really been done before.
AC2: Economy System/Upgrading the Villa - This formed the basis for the economic and upgrading systems of future games like upgrading Rome or upgrading the Jackdaw
ACB: Chain kill combat which carried into later games
ACR: Strategic Bombs
AC3: Tree Running/Frontier Gameplay
AC4: Naval - I know it was in AC3, but it really took a big leap in AC4 so I'll give it that.

EchoFiveKilo
01-01-2014, 06:56 AM
AC1 - time period/setting, story, freedom
AC2 - Economy system
AC3 - Combat, animations, parkour

ProletariatPleb
01-01-2014, 07:01 AM
I'll be taking innovation as a whole and not, "innovative for this game of franchise X"

AC1 - EVERYTHING OBVIOUSLY
AC2 - Will have to go with blending.
AC:B - Nothing comes to mind.
AC:R - Same as above.
AC3 - Same as above again.
AC4 - Naval&Land integration

oliacr
01-01-2014, 12:28 PM
If you could only pick one new feature/innovation from each AC game so far, what would be the best from each title?

AC1: Since it was the first, everything was pretty innovative, but I would have to go with the parkour/verticality. No other game to date has matched AC's level of freedom when it comes to navigating your environment.
AC2: Crowd blending.
ACB: Brotherhood recruits.
ACR: Bombs.
AC3: Naval.
AC: Liberation: Personas/disguises.
AC4: Seamlessness.

I can agree with you.

pacmanate
01-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Cba to do all of them BUT AC3's new animations and water are a big plus to this franchise.

Shahkulu101
01-01-2014, 12:57 PM
AC: Well...everything. An originally exciting concept, back in the day.

AC2: Transition into more cinematic experience. Lowering barriers allowing the franchise to become a blockbuster property.

ACB: The Brotherhood element. More focused, fleshed out side missions.

ACR: Bombs... Maybe.

AC3: New engine. Tree running.

AC4: Improved naval. Seamless open world.

ProletariatPleb
01-01-2014, 01:20 PM
AC3: New engine.
http://i.minus.com/iAEjt5DK0E4zO.jpg

SixKeys
01-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Maybe I should have specified that I meant innovative for the AC series, not gaming in general. Obviously a lot of features can be found in one form or another somewhere else.

I don't know how I forgot multiplayer for ACB. Definitely the best innovation for that game.

The lack of swimming never bothered me in AC1. It was nice for AC2 considering much of the game took place in Venice, but hardly essential.

AC1 was innovative for its parkour and verticality? LOL Someone Didn't play Prince of Persia ;)

PoP's verticality was more limited in the sense that you couldn't grab hold of anything that looked like a foothold, there was a set path through every structure. AC introduced a climbable world that looked natural.

Shahkulu101
01-01-2014, 01:37 PM
http://i.minus.com/iAEjt5DK0E4zO.jpg

What is funny?

ProletariatPleb
01-01-2014, 01:50 PM
What is funny?
That there is no "new" engine, they modified Scimitar more and rebranded it. That leaked cow screenshot for AC3 proved it, it still said Scimitar.

SixKeys
01-01-2014, 02:38 PM
That there is no "new" engine, they modified Scimitar more and rebranded it. That leaked cow screenshot for AC3 proved it, it still said Scimitar.

Cow screenshot? What?

ProletariatPleb
01-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Cow screenshot? What?
There was a screenshot that got leaked for AC3, it had Connor standing near a cow.

On the bottom right it said something like x_scimitar_final.xex

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 03:50 PM
If it never bothered u then u must have never ran into drunks

SixKeys
01-01-2014, 04:00 PM
If it never bothered u then u must have never ran into drunks

Part of AC1's challenge was finding alternate routes. If there were drunks in your way near water, you could look for routes that would make it easy to avoid them. It was also possible to simply punch them in the face and they would run off crying.

pacmanate
01-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Part of AC1's challenge was finding alternate routes. If there were drunks in your way near water, you could look for routes that would make it easy to avoid them. It was also possible to simply punch them in the face and they would run off crying.

The ******s were the worst. The amount of times they made me fail stuff or push me into water :@

poptartz20
01-01-2014, 04:28 PM
AC1: Can't judge really because there is nothing previous to base it off of? Other than that it was a new innovative game.

AC2: Blending, mystery, economy (combat at the time was better than AC1 IMO) tombs, desmond story

ACB: Umm... yeah You get to ride a horse into town? Drawing a blank..

ACR: Constantinople was beautiful? I can't think of anything...

AC3: Best combat to date (IMO) Also a great story (IMO as well) Cleaned up HUD. Tree running, new animations, cinimatics new engine, improved stealth mechanics (not that they were used that well in the game but still) Frontier stuff.

AC4: True open world, seemlessness, most places, largest map

AssassinHMS
01-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Hmm…let me see. Navigation? No, not really, it only became worse. Combat? No, no, it sucks now. Social stealth perhaps? No, now it’s pretty useless and even dumber.

What innovations would I choose then? The inclusion of (more or less) fleshed out side activities (especially assassination missions) in AC2, although the main missions became linear, full of action and quite scripted in return. The ability to replay missions in Brotherhood (I could also have chosen the awesome side missions but I don’t really think they’re that innovative). I can’t really see any big innovation in ACR except for bombs and Den defense so it’s not like I have much choice here. AC3, AC3….I don’t really know. The game was so “innovative” and yet I don’t have one good thing to say about it (except for, maybe, the close connection with the Templars). The new animations perhaps. As for AC4 there is only one thing that I consider both innovative and good for the franchise, the seamlessness.

I wonder if there is ever going to be a real innovative AC, you know, one that actually improves the core and doesn’t sell for something it is not…perhaps AC5.

Hans684
01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Hmm…let me see. Navigation? No, not really, it only became worse. Combat? No, no, it sucks now. Social stealth perhaps? No, now it’s pretty useless and even dumber.

Don't want to argue or anything or sound rude(never mean to in the other discussion, so if you tought that. Sorry) but do use stealth in the recent games? I mean you say everything about this series is ****ed up now(more or less).

AssassinHMS
01-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Don't want to argue or anything or sound rude(never mean to in the other discussion, so if you tought that. Sorry) but do use stealth in the recent games? I mean you say everything about this series is ****ed up now(more or less).

Ahah, I guess I do sound pessimistic. Well, I mentioned social stealth in particular and not stealth in general. But I do reckon that there have been improvements to stealth overall (stalking zones, vaulting and..........................well that's all I can think of. Is there any other improvement to stealth? I feel like I'm missing something.) , social stealth has become worse and its usefulness has diminished a lot since AC1. Besides, enemy AI was a lot better in AC1, not telepathic but not dumb either. And, although AC1 wasn’t exactly hard, it was a lot more challenging than recent AC games and stealth had more purpose there.

Hans684
01-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Ahah, I guess I do sound pessimistic. Well, I mentioned social stealth in particular and not stealth in general. But I do reckon that there have been improvements to stealth overall (stalking zones, vaulting and..........................well that's all I can think of. Is there any other improvement to stealth? I feel like I'm missing something.) , social stealth has become worse and its usefulness has diminished a lot since AC1. Besides, enemy AI was a lot better in AC1, not telepathic but not dumb either. And, although AC1 wasn’t exactly hard, it was a lot more challenging than recent AC games and stealth had more purpose there.

This is something i can fully agree on. As for the stealth improvements i it's as you said stalking zones, vaulting but i would like to add sosial stealth from AC3(yes, there was little but it was more suble(Donts over the head connected to every possible person(opinion))), wristle(AC3/4), bombs(distraction & stealth), disquises(AC3L), ships(it does sound crazy but you can use stealt either scripted(more or less) & free roam that's all i can think of. Sosial stealth has it's ups and downs but at least they try something, but it is been less used since AC1. They could go to a setting & time period where many died but there was not much historical accurate Hollywood action. Agree on the AI. AC1 games have never really been hard but in AC they at lest fough more back.

PedroAntonio2
01-01-2014, 08:58 PM
ACI - Open-World with a great parkour system
ACII - Economic System/ More weapons/ Glyphs
ACB - Borgia Towers/ Recruit Missions
ACR - Bombs and Hookblade
ACIII - Tree Navigation/ Naval gameplay/ Animals to hunt More interaction with the city
ACIV - Naval Open-World, Underwater Missions, Crafting System.

PedroAntonio2
01-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Combat and Navigation worse ? I can agree with Social Stelath, but I had a lot of fun with ACIII-ACIV combat system and the Navigation is fun too. The only problem is when I want to keep running through a door and Connor/Edward climb THE DOOR.

ACfan443
01-01-2014, 11:00 PM
AC1: Everything, seeing as it was the first game. Navigation in particular, I too enjoyed the freedom and the heights the parkour allowed you to reach. It was a very polished and tactile system.
AC2: Blend groups/Tombs/Economy
ACB: Recruits
ACR: Hookblade, but that's stretching it.
AC3: Naval
ACBF: Seamlessness

mikeyf1999
01-01-2014, 11:34 PM
You know bro they need to take the hard way lol

semkovo
01-02-2014, 09:37 PM
AC1: Climby stuff.
AC2: Tombs/Economic system.
ACB: Recruits/MP.
ACR: Hookblade/Cinematics. (IMO best to date in an AC game)
AC3: Animations.
AC4: Boats.
"Boat? I see no boat here. Do you?" :cool:

reddragonhrcro
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
"Boat? I seen no boat here. Do you?" :cool:

Well played.

oliacr
01-02-2014, 09:57 PM
"Boat? I seen no boat here. Do you?" :cool:

"Its a simple one Jenny, a ship can carry a boat, but a boat cannot carry a ship."

RinoTheBouncer
01-02-2014, 10:02 PM
AC1: Story
AC2: Story + First Civilization + Protagonist
AC:B: Modern Day Missions and their connection to the historical portion of the game
AC:R: Cisterns + Hookblade and Desmond’s Journey
ACIII: Tomahawk and War Clubs, Modern Day missions improvements and tree climbing
ACIV: Improved Naval Battles. The rest wasn’t so innovative