PDA

View Full Version : Does Edward Undermine The Series' Other Playable Characters?

Gestahl
12-31-2013, 04:50 AM
I mean, Edward does everything that he does without any real training. Alta´r trained for years to become what he was. It was implied that Connor did the same after finding Achilles. Ezio... well, he was sort of a natural as well, but even he had to be taught things by the other characters. Edward? He just picks everything up naturally. Hidden blades? No problem. Climbing buildings? No problem. It doesn't seem like he had to earn any of his abilities, which just rubs me the wrong way. Alta´r was my favorite assassin, but at the rate these games are going, it's basically being implied that he was the least skilled of all of the characters. Edward accomplished in a few years what he spent his entire life perfecting.

Fatal-Feit
12-31-2013, 05:04 AM
Here we go again...

Edward was a skilled privateer. Climbing is something you have to get used to as a pirate. Like he told Stede ''Every finger's like a fish hook. That's how you tell a true privateer.'' And since when was parkour restricted to assassins? I'm a scrawny teenager but I can climb. My mother is old yet she can climb. It's natural for human beings. Edward is a talented grown man who can fight. Take that into account. And Hidden blades aren't a complicated mechanism, man. Tilt your hands upward and the blades will toggle. There are 12 years old on Youtube who've designed their own. Plus, Du Casse and Woods Roger even gave him some basic training.

Gestahl
12-31-2013, 05:29 AM
He didn't receive any basic training. Unless you call him being able to perform dummy assassinations so convincingly that fully trained templars were fooled into thinking he was a master assassin. As I've said, he was a natural at everything he did. And climbing ships is a heck of a lot different than climbing towers and them jumping off of them into bushes and haystacks. You don't learn that on a ship. It doesn't matter how "simple" things are in real life. Games aren't real. They have their own set of rules. Alta´r had to train. It makes no sense to me that Edward was perfect from the get-go.

MnemonicSyntax
12-31-2013, 05:45 AM
Because climbing a tower and jumping off of them into a haystack isn't anything like climbing a mast and jumping into the water though, huh.

I brought this up in another thread. Subject 16 asks Desmond why we have these 'gifts" and he then says It's in our blood. Considering Edward is an ancestor of Desmond, he also had those "gifts."

Gestahl
12-31-2013, 05:48 AM
Because climbing a tower and jumping off of them into a haystack isn't anything like climbing a mast and jumping into the water though, huh.

I brought this up in another thread. Subject 16 asks Desmond why we have these 'gifts" and he then says It's in our blood. Considering Edward is an ancestor of Desmond, he also had those "gifts."Jumping into the water is a lot different. It's a different technique. Completely. And even Desmond went through training. It's a big part of the assassin order. Eagle vision is passed along the bloodline. The ability to double assassinate using hidden blades isn't.

AdamPearce
12-31-2013, 05:48 AM

I brought this up in another thread. Subject 16 asks Desmond why we have these 'gifts" and he then says It's in our blood. Considering Edward is an ancestor of Desmond, he also had those "gifts."

I think 16 was refering to the Eagle Vision, thou it's true that Hybrid descendant are stronger, faster, more briliant and live longer.

pirate1802
12-31-2013, 05:50 AM

ahahahaha!

MnemonicSyntax
12-31-2013, 06:15 AM
Jumping into the water is a lot different. It's a different technique. Completely. And even Desmond went through training. It's a big part of the assassin order. Eagle vision is passed along the bloodline. The ability to double assassinate using hidden blades isn't.

Yes, completely different. A swan dive into a backbreaker over the water would probably cause Edward to desync for a week.

Desmond went through "training" to turn on some switches. There was no combat training involved whatsoever.

I think 16 was refering to the Eagle Vision, thou it's true that Hybrid descendant are stronger, faster, more briliant and live longer.

Clay said "gifts." Desmond gained his abilities through the bleeding effect, but whose to say that they weren't dormant the entire time? Maybe the bleeding effect is those abilities of the Assassin are there the entire time and only awoken via training, in some sort of duress or they just eventually come forth.

Desmond's bloodline is special, there's no doubt about that.

SpectralEntity
12-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Kidd mentions to the Assassin leader that Edward has the gift or vision, or something to the effect that he somehow inherently possesses Assassin abilities.

Gestahl
12-31-2013, 06:30 AM
Desmond went through "training" to turn on some switches. There was no combat training involved whatsoever.I'm talking about his backstory. Before he ran away from the assassins. He went through years of training. He may have hated every moment of it, but every assassin needs to be trained.

I know these games are coming out every year and that they want to cut back on the real training sequences because they feel too much like tutorials, but they could at least show a montage of him learning these skills in cutscenes or something.

MnemonicSyntax
12-31-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm talking about his backstory. Before he ran away from the assassins. He went through years of training. He may have hated every moment of it, but every assassin needs to be trained.

I know these games are coming out every year and that they want to cut back on the real training sequences because they feel too much like tutorials, but they could at least show a montage of him learning these skills in cutscenes or something.

Okay, but they didn't do that with Desmond either.

You said it was a game, chalk it up to suspension of disbelief.

pirate1802
12-31-2013, 06:58 AM
I must be the only one who felt Edward was improvising as he went along. Like he was guessing how it was supposed to work.

imdreamin
12-31-2013, 09:55 AM
Huh i thought the same thing. When they ask him could you show us your moves or something he does say Uhhhhh Yeah of course or something like that i dont remember that much :D

imdreamin
12-31-2013, 10:02 AM
Plus Du Casse and Rogers do actually say the moves he needs to do before doing them so he could have easily improvised the entire thing plus he does have that special Assassin blood in him so entirely possible.

pirate1802
12-31-2013, 10:12 AM
It was all laid out before him. A person with the slightest bit of brains would figure out what was expected of him. You don't need years of training to know that that.

D.I.D.
12-31-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm talking about his backstory. Before he ran away from the assassins. He went through years of training. He may have hated every moment of it, but every assassin needs to be trained.

I don't think that's even it. I think it's much more basic and immediate as a story thing, and they're not avoiding tutorials so much as avoiding The Karate Kid. I don't want to have to see that every time. It can only go one of two ways: the trainee is an attentive student who learns their lessons well, or (more likely) the trainee butts heads with the master and is humbled later. It's dull. I also don't want to have to deal with the master's death. It's boring, and I've seen it a ton of times in games, films and TV.

I don't mind if we have to do these storylines sometimes, but if we do them every time they lose any power they might have had.Granted, I would have liked to have seen Edward needing to tail other assassins without their knowledge and then learn their tricks by watching them, but maybe they've got that one ear-marked for AC5 or 6.

misterB2001
12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Jumping into the water is a lot different. It's a different technique. Completely. And even Desmond went through training. It's a big part of the assassin order. Eagle vision is passed along the bloodline. The ability to double assassinate using hidden blades isn't.

Imagine if it were real life.... A guy with double hidden blades walks up behind 2 guards are you seriously saying he wouldn't be able to work out for himself how to take them both out at the same time? Seriously? Lol.

D.I.D.
12-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Imagine if it were real life.... A guy with double hidden blades walks up behind 2 guards are you seriously saying he wouldn't be able to work out for himself how to take them both out at the same time? Seriously? Lol.

The narrative where the young guy gets incrementally better at jumping off a cathedral into a bush could be quite funny though.

ze_topazio
12-31-2013, 11:14 AM
When he became a privateer, he, most likely receive some sort of training, that's why he could climb and fight, if you look at his fighting style you can see that is far from refined, Altair and Ezio killed as fast as possible, but Edward uses a lot of wasted movements, you don't have to be a genius to hide in bushes and behind walls nor to learn how to use the hidden blades, and yes he clearly was a natural born talent.

dxsxhxcx
12-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Altair fought the hardest enemies (gameplay wise) if compared to the other games, this makes Altair the most skilled one... lol

DinoSteve1
12-31-2013, 02:18 PM
I dunno if I'd agree with that.