PDA

View Full Version : [Black Flag] Fixing the "FPS drops from 60 to 30 when Vsync is enabled" issue?

i3lueTest
12-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Having some trouble using PCGaming Wiki's fix for the FPS drop problem.

The wiki, linked here (click me) (http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_IV:_Black_Flag#FPS_drops_from_60_ to_30_when_Vsync_is_enabled), recommends using D3DOverrider, which I've used before on another machine for Dead Space, but I can't get the software to load on a Win 7 64bit PC.

Anyone manage to get it working correctly?

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Yes. I am using the same OS and it works very well.

I do get a "warning buzz" noise when I launch AC4, but another member and I think it has to do with Windows wanting to deny Triple Buffering as D3D forces it regardless of what Windows wants.

Rallehrol
12-30-2013, 11:02 PM

I do get a "warning buzz" noise when I launch AC4, but another member and I think it has to do with Windows wanting to deny Triple Buffering as D3D forces it regardless of what Windows wants.

That sound is actually the correct one that D3D uses when it works.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 11:06 PM

Really? Because I get a positive sounding "Ding!" on other games.

But then again, other games I play don't really need it... >.>

Thanks for the info!

i3lueTest
12-31-2013, 12:53 AM

Where did you get the D3DO program then because neither of the two I have will launch?

I click the .exe but nothing happens. The process is listed in Windows Task Manager but the program window never shows up.

MnemonicSyntax
12-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Did you look in the task bar?

i3lueTest
12-31-2013, 01:59 AM
Did you look in the task bar?

I have, yes.

Does it matter what directory it's in?

I've tried D3DOverrider DX11 & D3DOverrider, neither seems to work.

I've used D3DO on another machine, as stated in the OP, without issue.

Frag_Maniac
12-31-2013, 02:02 AM

Uh, no, I have used Direct3D Overrider on numerous titles and it always makes (I'll call it the elephant trumpet sound) when it enables. This is the only game I've seen it make that sound then the low blunt one right after. If you leave Fraps running as an FPS meter though, you will clearly see that the triple buffering is working, as the game is no longer capped to 30 FPS when the frame rate dips below 60.

Just make sure you only use D3DO for Triple Buffering on this title, because external VSync gives no better performance and you probably have a better chance of it not being blocked by the game. Windows doesn't block triple buffering though, it only makes the sounds when it detects a program trying to block it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's successfully blocked.

i3lueTest
12-31-2013, 09:41 PM
I've tried all kinds of compatibility mode settings & "run as admin" but still no go (it's not showing up in the system tray).

I've used the software before without issue on a Vista 64bit rig for Bioshock 1 & Dead Space 3, so I'm familiar with it, don't know what the issue is.

Frag_Maniac
12-31-2013, 10:04 PM
(it's not showing up in the system tray)

Are you saying you can't even launch D3DO? Are you able to configure it at all? Note that it can be set to launch with the GUI showing or minimized, and once the GUI is showing, if you close it vs minimize it, it will shut down the app.

Also, make sure the icon isn't set to hidden in the Notification Area for taskbar icons:
http://imageshack.com/a/img854/3711/kav0.jpg

...after a bit of searching, I found this...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=335601