PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Revelations story talk

Dev_Anj
12-30-2013, 09:39 AM
So, I've noticed a lot of discussion about the stories of the Assassin's Creed games in this forum, and one thing seems to be not discussed much, which is the way Ezio disregarded the tenets of the Creed in Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Did it not bother anyone that Ezio learned about Altair and how he fought for the Creed and tried to protect it and lead it in the right direction, yet in Constantinople, he immediately instigates people to riot against the Ottomans simply to get access to the Arsenal, without even trying other methods and thus putting innocent people in danger. Later on, he burns an entire fleet just to leave Constantinople, which would likely have brought a bad name to the Assassin order in Constantinople. And in Cappadocia, he fills up the city with fumes and again puts innocent people to danger just to get at a target who isn't even much of a threat. In my experience, very few people have brought these points up. Any reason why?

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 09:45 AM
I took it as Ezio being a tired old man now and just wanting to be done with it rather than ensuing that something is done with care and not violating the Creed. I liked this aspect of his personality, why I liked him more than his previous two incarnations.

Tzeentch_859
12-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah it has been discussed, back when the game came out which was 2011. Anyway I do agree, it was against the creed.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Actually, in a few different threads this was brought up, I believe by SixKeys.

The rioting was going to happen anyway, he just made it more controlled I believe. Him actually being there was good for them, because he provided protection. Yes, I know he enticed them as part of the mission, but the way it was going, it was only a matter of time anyway.

I'm pretty sure the fleet was a blockade and unless he destroyed it, there was no way he would make it to Cappadocia.

However, the smoke out was no excuse, at least as far as I can recall.

Dev_Anj
12-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Actually, in a few different threads this was brought up, I believe by SixKeys.

The rioting was going to happen anyway, he just made it more controlled I believe. Him actually being there was good for them, because he provided protection. Yes, I know he enticed them as part of the mission, but the way it was going, it was only a matter of time anyway.

I'm pretty sure the fleet was a blockade and unless he destroyed it, there was no way he would make it to Cappadocia.

However, the smoke out was no excuse, at least as far as I can recall.

But the way it was presented, he made the people riot because he wanted to enter the Arsenal. Wasn't that sloppy? Couldn't he have just got a ladder and used it to scale the wall? It couldn't be that, especially when the Arsenal's walls don't even have that many archers.

Also there were ways he could've dealt with the blockade, he could've sneaked through some ships and maybe stolen one of the ships from the blockade, then put up some obstacles for the following ships? It'd be hard, but also less messy.

Of course there's no excuse for the fire in Cappadocia.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure, but I don't think Ezio was much of a sailor, as Piri Reis was the one that took him to Cappadocia in the first place. I don't think stealing a ship would have been something he was capable of doing alone.

Of course, he could have just used a gondola to get to Cappadocia XD

I don't know about the Arsenal. I mean, a ladder sounds fairly comical as is, but like I said it was a matter of time before the citizens revolted.

Plus, it sent a message.

Hans684
12-30-2013, 10:42 AM
It's not about the creed, it's about sending a messsage.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Guise, Ezio couldnt have used a ship in the harbous because we didn't have navel back then!

Your Captain Obvious comment for the day.

Dev_Anj
12-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Guise, Ezio couldnt have used a ship in the harbous because we didn't have navel back then!

Your Captain Obvious comment for the day.

I mean, Ezio is already overpowered, you need to give him a ship now? With cannons and everything?

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Godzio can never be too powerful!

But nah, I meant that he had to destroy the blockade first to get through, otherwise the other ships would have followed hi. He couldn't have just got on one and sped away, AC4 style.

Dev_Anj
12-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Godzio can never be too powerful!

But nah, I meant that he had to destroy the blockade first to get through, otherwise the other ships would have followed hi. He couldn't have just got on one and sped away, AC4 style.

And that couldn't have been done through a cutscene? You could play till you captured a ship, and then you could show Ezio speeding away and threatening pursuers with Greek fire. Why would that not work?

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Because it was Piri Reis' ship they used. Piri Reis, while a sailor (oh hey, there's the connection!) probably couldn't just steal a huge naval ship, as it would require a crew. With his own ship, he probably didn't even need a crew.

It wasn't like Ezio killed innocents when he destroyed the blockade either.

Dev_Anj
12-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Because it was Piri Reis' ship they used. Piri Reis, while a sailor (oh hey, there's the connection!) probably couldn't just steal a huge naval ship, as it would require a crew. With his own ship, he probably didn't even need a crew.

It wasn't like Ezio killed innocents when he destroyed the blockade either.

How can you be sure there were no innocents in those ships?

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Because they were all sailors/soldiers. AC has always took a rather lenient view on killing soldiers.

Dev_Anj
12-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Might I even tell you that historically, Cappadocia can't be accessed from the ocean? They sure didn't do much research and just wanted to put that mission in.

SixKeys
12-30-2013, 11:29 AM
I don't buy that Ezio couldn't have gotten through the blockade by any other means than burning it down. Why not sneak up to one of the ships and take out some of the crew, take their clothes and tell the assassin recruits to wear them as disguises. Then one of them could pretend to deliver a message from the captain that Ezio had been caught and the blockade was no longer necessary and have all other ships disperse. Before people caught on, sail one ship out of the harbour, done.

Dev_Anj
12-30-2013, 11:55 AM
I don't buy that Ezio couldn't have gotten through the blockade by any other means than burning it down. Why not sneak up to one of the ships and take out some of the crew, take their clothes and tell the assassin recruits to wear them as disguises. Then one of them could pretend to deliver a message from the captain that Ezio had been caught and the blockade was no longer necessary and have all other ships disperse. Before people caught on, sail one ship out of the harbour, done.

But look at all these ships burning! How would you get that?

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 04:16 PM
How can you be sure there were no innocents in those ships?

How can you be sure there were?

The biggest clue I have is that for all, all the ships are hostile that I have to destroy and are also firing back at me.

How would you play your Assassin recruit doing that though? You couldn't.

And at this late in the game, I'm sure some proof would have been needed.

AdamPearce
12-30-2013, 04:27 PM

Here's a good reason: Boom boom explosions boom boom look kids AC have more explosions than CoD AC is better come and buy our game.

that's it.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Here's a good reason: Boom boom explosions boom boom look kids AC have more explosions than CoD AC is better come and buy our game.

that's it.

I think we're trying to figure it out from a story/Creed perspective, hence the title and not just the superficial reason.