PDA

View Full Version : I miss the old lock-on system

MaceoniK
12-30-2013, 08:32 AM
When I say old, I'm mainly referring to AC3 as I can't exactly remember how the system worked in the previous games without replaying them.

I feel like when they 'straight up' swapped the lock-on system for free aim, AC4 lost a certain element of uniqueness that I had grown used to from playing every other game in the series, and it just doesn't feel right.

In AC3, I liked how the lock-on system would change the perspective by zooming in slightly and the camera would follow the locked on target (worked well with tailing missions)...
You could toggle the reticle from left to right shoulder by clicking the right thumb stick...
The lock-on system allowed you to throw smoke bombs from a distance...
You could still 'kind of' free aim (but your weapon wasn't draw as you did it, and you couldn't aim at specific body parts).

When you think about it, there was no need for them to completely scrap the lock on system for AC4, as effectively all you are doing is HOLDING the old 'lock-on' button (left trigger xbox) to enter free aim, so there's seemingly no reason why they couldn't have just added the free aim to the already well established lock-on system.

Is anyone with me on this? or are some of you happy to see the back of the old 'lock-on system'?

Have I written 'lock-on system' too many times in this post? one more time...... lock-on system!!!

Kagurra
12-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Only thing I miss about it is not being able to kill civilians with my blade weapons/fists.

I only used it for targeting anyways, not to "keep track" of somebody. The camera zooming in on the weird angle messed with me. And now that we have freeaim (mostly) we don't need it anymore.

Fatal-Feit
12-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Still play around with it a lot in AC:3. When I'm unlocking fast travels underground, I like to keep it toggled and pretend it's Amnesia. Hehe =P

MaceoniK
12-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Don't you think it would be better to have both?... One doesn't cancel out the other (control mapping wise), i.e - if you want to lock on to a target, just press left trigger, but if you have a projectile weapon equipped, you can hold left trigger to enter free aim.

Kagurra
12-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Don't you think it would be better to have both?... One doesn't cancel out the other (control mapping wise), i.e - if you want to lock on to a target, just press left trigger, but if you have a projectile weapon equipped, you can hold left trigger to enter free aim.

But then that means you have to unequip your ranged weapon to use it. And what if you had a lock-on on somebody, and then you switch to a ranged weapon? See? Complicated stuff as far as programming goes.

MaceoniK
12-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Plus, don't you find it annoying that you can't toggle the shoulder view while in free aim, and also that you can't throw smoke bombs (from a distance ) any more?... I probably wouldn't miss it as much if you could just do these two things.

MaceoniK
12-30-2013, 09:26 AM
But then that means you have to unequip your ranged weapon to use it. And what if you had a lock-on on somebody, and then you switch to a ranged weapon? See? Complicated stuff as far as programming goes.

No, you could still lock on to someone while you have a ranged weapon equipped, but you would have the extra option of holding left trigger to enter free aim if you wanted to aim at a specific part of the body.

Fatal-Feit
12-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Plus, don't you find it annoying that you can't toggle the shoulder view while in free aim, and also that you can't throw smoke bombs (from a distance ) any more?... I probably wouldn't miss it as much if you could just do these two things.

I agree. It would make the lack of tools so much more convenient.

Kagurra
12-30-2013, 09:43 AM
I do agree you should be able to switch sides.

On a related note, they need to fix not being able to use ranged weapons when you're leaning on a wall to the left. I guess right hand advantage is really too strong, just didn't think that would affect AC.

MaceoniK
12-30-2013, 09:55 AM
On a related note, they need to fix not being able to use ranged weapons when you're leaning on a wall to the left.

You could do this in AC3, because you could switch shoulder view, seems the AC4 devs really dropped the ball with this one.

If you really want to kill civilians with your blade weapons/fists, it can be done, watch this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoqf32EOoic

Kagurra
12-30-2013, 10:09 AM
You could do this in AC3, because you could switch shoulder view, seems the AC4 devs really dropped the ball with this one.

If you really want to kill civilians with your blade weapons/fists, it can be done, watch this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoqf32EOoic

Lol. I'll have to try that tomorrow. Thanks. Still shouldn't have to do that. I should just be able to smash my sword into them like in AC2 days if they get in my way and mess up whatever I'm doing.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 10:12 AM
yeah.. I miss not having to resort to gimmicks like these to kill civilians :/

MaceoniK
12-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Lol. I'll have to try that tomorrow. Thanks. Still shouldn't have to do that. I should just be able to smash my sword into them like in AC2 days if they get in my way and mess up whatever I'm doing.

I know... what was wrong with desyncing when you killed too many civilians?... They had so many fun aspects and systems they could of used from previous games, but completely neglected them, i.e - it would of been cool if they included the throw dust in the face thing from AC2 and the throwing axe's from ACB

oliacr
12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
I liked that when I locked onto a guy and the camera followed him. It helped me a lot in chase and tailing.

Consus_E
12-30-2013, 08:50 PM
yeah.. I miss not having to resort to gimmicks like these to kill civilians :/
I miss the days of beating minstrels with brooms :(