PDA

View Full Version : Viewpoints felt much more realistic in Assassin's Creed III...

phoenix-force411
12-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Since the beginning of AC, we've always had that wooden beam on most to every viewpoint which, I think, destroys the beauty of the structure we're currently on. I mean, it's the most distinct oddness on any structure it's present on. ACIII, didn't have any of that which made viewpoints feel much more integrated with the world. I don't know if it's part of the Assassin's Creed Lore in which assassins built those beams to help other assassins get a better view of their general area, but it's an odd feature. What do you guys think? I generally never really liked those odd beams.

eaglefan129
12-30-2013, 07:03 AM
meh viewpoints purpose are to reveal the map and be "oh look look how pretty are world is" not everything in a story has to have a reason for it

phoenix-force411
12-30-2013, 07:06 AM
meh viewpoints purpose are to reveal the map and be "oh look look how pretty are world is" not everything in a story has to have a reason for it
Yeah, that's what they're for, but when it comes to the lore of AC, those beams must have a reason to have existed for this long. These wooden beams are shown in AC arts and other things.

zgubilici
12-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Since the beginning of AC, we've always had that wooden beam on most to every viewpoint which, I think, destroys the beauty of the structure we're currently on. I mean, it's the most distinct oddness on any structure it's present on. ACIII, didn't have any of that which made viewpoints feel much more integrated with the world. I don't know if it's part of the Assassin's Creed Lore in which assassins built those beams to help other assassins get a better view of their general area, but it's an odd feature. What do you guys think? I generally never really liked those odd beams.

They never really bothered me - actually a lot of times when finally reaching them, they offered a sense of familiarity, so I was actually looking forward to "see" them :)
However I do agree that for some structures, the beams were oddly included in their architecture.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Disagree.. I think you need that bit of visual cue to indicate the place where to sync from. Anyway, I feel viewpoints now are about 9000 ties more useful than other games. Not only are they fast travel locations, they also show important places on the map. As I play without the hud, I find this extremely immersive. Dont change a thing about it UBI!

phoenix-force411
12-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Disagree.. I think you need that bit of visual cue to indicate the place where to sync from. Anyway, I feel viewpoints now are about 9000 ties more useful than other games. Not only are they fast travel locations, they also show important places on the map. As I play without the hud, I find this extremely immersive. Dont change a thing about it UBI!
Connor didn't have a problem since, it's always common sense to climb to the tallest part of the structure to sync with it. I wasn't talking about how viewpoints work in the game, but more about why do viewpoints have the wooden beam on them, especially on the structures that make the beam seem the most oddest.

phoenix-force411
12-30-2013, 07:17 AM

I think I confused you with the word "feature".

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Yeah that... you may notice that viewpoints do not infact require you to climb to the tallest point. In this scenario, you would be lost on where to sync from. Either way as someone said, I do not mind them, infact I like the sense of familiarity they bring, much like haystacks.

phoenix-force411
12-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Yeah that... you may notice that viewpoints do not infact require you to climb to the tallest point. In this scenario, you would be lost on where to sync from. Either way as someone said, I do not mind them, infact I like the sense of familiarity they bring, much like haystacks.

Lol, it's a wonder how Ezio survives falling into a rose bush in ACR. I do not mind the wooden beams, but they do at times feel misplaced on the architecture it's currently built on as @zgubilici said.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 07:26 AM
I remember searching for those wooden beams in some viewpoints n AC2 lol

Kagurra
12-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Only thing I miss is that BA sync animation where Connor stood up and put his arms out like "I'm so free" or something. It would have worked PERFECTLY with Edward and the pirate theme. One of the best additions in AC3, and they got rid of it. WTF. I hate that little crouched position you're normally in when you're looking straight on a viewpoint. That's why I always did it sideways.

Fatal-Feit
12-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Only thing I miss is that BA sync animation where Connor stood up and put his arms out like "I'm so free" or something. It would have worked PERFECTLY with Edward and the pirate theme. One of the best additions in AC3, and they got rid of it. WTF. I hate that little crouched position you're normally in when you're looking straight on a viewpoint. That's why I always did it sideways.

LOL! Me too. I wish Edward could get some cool new animations like how he steers the Jackdaw with one arm.

Kagurra
12-30-2013, 09:19 AM
LOL! Me too. I wish Edward could get some cool new animations like how he steers the Jackdaw with one arm.

I seriously can't imagine why they got rid of it. The only thing I can think of is they forgot to add it in, and when they saw me mention it on the forums a while ago they were like "Awwww dang... I liked that too."

SixKeys
12-30-2013, 12:12 PM
I was slightly disappointed that they got rid of all the viewpoint synch animations for Connor and only had one for Edward. In the live action trailer for AC4 we saw Edward standing straight up on top of his ship's mast, like Connor sometimes did on a church cross.

But it's a very minor complaint since they improved the viewpoints' usefulness tenfold over AC3.

adventurewomen
12-30-2013, 12:16 PM
In AC4, I missed the standing up during cinematics at Viewports. :(

ACfan443
12-30-2013, 12:50 PM

AC3's standing up animations looked incredibly stupid, and I was elated to see them gone.

Fatal-Feit
12-30-2013, 12:55 PM
I'd like to see future installments do something new and creative like in this screenshot.
http://www.push-start.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/AC4-kingston-windmill-gc.jpg

AdamPearce
12-30-2013, 02:59 PM
I'd like to see future installments do something new and creative

Yeah it would be awesome to have different animation at each Viewpoint. It would feel much more fluid an immersive.

Unfortunetly this will never happen since the devs don't have enough time to make their game proprely: Remember, 75% is ok.

oliacr
12-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Yeah it would be awesome to have different animation at each Viewpoint. It would feel much more fluid an immersive.

Unfortunetly this will never happen since the devs don't have enough time to make their game proprely: Remember, 75% is ok.

Different animations on each viewpoint? If we have 80viewpoints like in AC2 how can you do 80 animations for that? Standing, sitting, jumping, lying, dancing, shooting, shouting so on and so forth.

DinoSteve1
12-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Actually those beams would have been used to haul building materials up to the top of the structure during construction. Although they would be removed as builders worked there way up and finished the building. But you would still often see them on warehouses with 2 stories or more.

AdamPearce
12-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Different animations on each viewpoint? If we have 80viewpoints like in AC2 how can you do 80 animations for that? Standing, sitting, jumping, lying, dancing, shooting, shouting so on and so forth.

AC2 didn't have 80 viewpoits, stop the bs. It had around 60. But then, lets divide them per 20. 20 different animation, which they're would be only 3 similar viewpoints. And of course you can make variation of the different animations.

5 sitting
5 standing
5 looking
5 hanging

took me 15 sec.

pirate1802
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
AC2 had 72-73 viewpoints. True story. Don't know whats bs about it..

AdamPearce
12-30-2013, 03:51 PM
AC2 had 72-73 viewpoints. True story. Don't know whats bs about it..

With or without the DLC?

ACIDIC SWORDS
12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
In black flag i actually want to get the viewpoints because of the nice fast travel directly to the point. In ac2 i went most the game not caring about viewpoints.

Fatal-Feit
12-30-2013, 04:45 PM
With or without the DLC?

I'm pretty sure there are over 80 in Black Flag.

75+ locations and some includes more than a few.