PDA

View Full Version : PC Requirements Help! Please Respond!

jacklinderman
12-30-2013, 03:01 AM
Hey guys! Sorry I know this is a crappy first post, but I am going to buy AC4 on Steam, Since you can't get your money back, I wanted to make sure on this first. I know the requirements:
Operating System: Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q8400 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2 GB (4 GB recommended)
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or AMD Radeon HD 4870 (512MB VRAM with shader Model 4.0 or higher)
DirectX 11: DirectX June 2010 Redistributable
Disk Space: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers
Peripherals: Windows-Compatible keyboard and mouse required, optional controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows recommended)
Multiplayer: 256 Kbps or faster broadband connection

Now, I've seen them, and I don't need any fancy Ultra quality, I can use low or medium settings if needed, but I don't know if my laptop processor is better or worse than the one listed. Yes, I'm a laptop gamer. My laptop (HP Pavilion Notebook PC) runs The Elders Scroll V: Skyrim Legendary Edition perfectly fine and smoothly at medium settings. But I don't know about AC4. Here are my laptop specifications:
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics
RAM: 4GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 8400
DirectX: DirectX 11 (Comes with Windows 8.1)
Disk Space: 342.35 GB free
Sound Card: AMD High Definition Audio Device + Realtek High Definition Audio
Peripherals: Xbox 360 Controller for WIndows
Multiplayer: Average 300 (give or take) kbps. The fastest I've seen it is 700 (give or take) kbps

Phew. I hope this is enough info for someone to tell me if I'm ok to go. Like I said, I don't need any fancy settings, just want to run it without crazy lag. Thanks!

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 03:13 AM
I will say that Black Flag is not optimized for laptops at all, and are also not supported.

That being said, what's the model number of your laptop?

jacklinderman
12-30-2013, 03:24 AM
My model number is a n010us (I think that is what you want)
But I can run Skyrim perfectly on medium settings. I have a controller, so I should be able to play with the controls fine. So even though it isn't really optimized, would I still be able to run in without major lag?

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 03:28 AM
I can't tell you that. Skyrim and Assassin's Creed 4 are two different games with different optimization techniques. A common misnomer is comparing one game to another game. Even comparing AC3 to AC4 isn't any indication that 4 will run "well."

Let me do some research and get back to you on this.

jacklinderman
12-30-2013, 03:30 AM
Ok. Thank you so much for your help. I just got a lot of Christmas money and I'm really hoping I can get AC4!

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 03:40 AM
I cannot find any sort of information for your mobile card, except benchmark comparisons with it's desktop brother. That being said, the desktop version (8400GS) does rather poorly with AC4. According to GPUBoss, the mobile card is slightly better than the desktop card, but not by much.

Here's a video of 8400GS desktop card gameplay, and what you might expect with slightly higher framerates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzVePQH9GRE

This is a crapshoot and... I'm not sure what to do here. Perhaps someone else can chime in and assist you.

jacklinderman
12-30-2013, 03:46 AM
Well... I looked some videos of the 8400GS... And it's pretty crappy. I guess I'm just going to have to upgrade my CPU in my laptop to an A10 or A12. Thanks for the help! But if anyone can find something else, please say so!

Frag_Maniac
12-30-2013, 03:53 AM
No, not at all, laptops are not only unsupported as mentioned, your laptop spec is very low, much lower than the minimum required spec.

Also, there is no such thing as an HD 8400 laptop GPU, it's commonly referred to as 8400m or 8400g. HD versions are desktop variants that are clocked higher due to better cooling and sapce for heat dissipation. Also, when you have no direct way to compare your GPU to the one listed in min reqs, know that how much older a model it is, combined with the second digit it it's designation being significantly lower than that of the one listed (8400 vs 5850), means that your GPU is nowhere near as powerful as even the bare minimum required. And the 8400m is really at best a low to medium setting capable GPU for Skyrim, IF you want what most would consider playable frame rates.

A few ways to get a quick idea of how your spec compares to the listed min req GPU, is Google for the release date of yours and the one listed, then apply the second digit rule I pointed out, followed by verification on the Passmark site, which gives a raw GPU power score for just about everything out there. Just type the GPU model followed by Passmark into Google.

Sadly, your GPU scores only 58. An HD 8400 scores 348. The min req 5850 scores 2279. Interestingly, the min req Nvidia GPU (GTX 470), scores 3566. The only reason I can think the Nvidia GPU listed is so much more powerful is to facilitate the higher AO and physics you can run on Nvidia cards with this game, but many don't employ the latter (PhysX) due to being a resource hog.

Frag_Maniac
12-30-2013, 03:58 AM
Well... I looked some videos of the 8400GS... And it's pretty crappy. I guess I'm just going to have to upgrade my CPU in my laptop to an A10 or A12. Thanks for the help! But if anyone can find something else, please say so!

The 8400gs is another desktop variant. It's not nearly as powerful as the HD 8400, but about twice as powerful as your 8400m/g. None of the 8400 series are considered gaming GPUs though.

Your CPU is not all that powerful, but it's the video part of it that's really weak on your laptop. Laptops work OK for some games, but it's getting to the point where it's a gamble investing in them for such purposes, just due to the lack of support and the unknown of any tech problems, even if they ARE powerful enough.

Does your gaming HAVE to be on a mobile device? You can build a more powerful entry level desktop PC for around $600. An A10 is not going to suffice either, nor would likely even the A12, And I've yet to even see any of those on the market. Even the A10 with 8650g only has a Passmark score of 853, and as I said above, you need a min of around 2279, and that's with Ubi's exaggerated min spec. It's better to have more than that just for low settings.

The best you usually hear from people that play with A10 laptops is they can run games like WoW on High settings, but that's a pretty low resource game.

MnemonicSyntax
12-30-2013, 04:07 AM
AMD isn't my forte, thanks for chiming in Frag.

Frag_Maniac
12-30-2013, 04:15 AM
AMD isn't my forte, thanks for chiming in Frag.

No problem, those are APU chips he's referring to. AMD competes well with them in the budget arena. You get more bang for buck than via Intel's APU with HD 4000, but they're not robust enough for games this graphically intense.

I was going to say the entry level Steam Machine at $500 is a good alternative at a pretty good price, but it looks like he wants something now.