PDA

View Full Version : most accurate air combat historical book ?

Hristo_
02-06-2004, 04:50 AM
What is, in your opinion, the most accurate book, regarding description of air combat, ACM, relative aircraft strengths, tactics, etc. ?

I've had it with all-romance-general-public novels, where Focke Wulfs outturn Ratas and Zeros outdive Hellcats just because author thought it would be more fun.

Got anything accurate ?

Hristo_
02-06-2004, 04:50 AM
What is, in your opinion, the most accurate book, regarding description of air combat, ACM, relative aircraft strengths, tactics, etc. ?

I've had it with all-romance-general-public novels, where Focke Wulfs outturn Ratas and Zeros outdive Hellcats just because author thought it would be more fun.

Got anything accurate ?

JorBR
02-06-2004, 05:11 AM
Are you talking about romances? Can´t help on this subject.
About history with some combat in it I have at least 3 personal favorites: "The might eight"; "Half a wing three engines and a prayer"; "Terror in the starbord seat".
The RC-BS series is always interesting also.

"Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty but the pig enjoy it!"

[This message was edited by JorBR on Fri February 06 2004 at 04:26 AM.]

SUPERAEREO
02-06-2004, 05:24 AM
Robert L. Shaw (the author of "Fighter Combat", which is the bible of air fighting theory) might be working on a history of fighter tactics, AFAIK.

Otherwise J. E. Johnson's "Full Circle: The Story of Air Fighting" is very general but quite readable.

S!

S 8
02-06-2004, 05:32 AM
I´ve recently read Jane´s "Battles with the Luftwaffe".Great book.First time I´ve read about rammj¤gers.Imagine takeing off with none or just one 13mm machinegun with 50 rounds.I got enlightend and surprised by this book in many cases.

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_113_1073048715.jpg

SUPERAEREO
02-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Oh, I was forgetting: "Combat Kill the Drama of Aerial Warfare in World War 2 and the Controversy Surrounding Victories" by Hugh Morgan and Jürgen Seibel is also good, and has good photos and some nice colour drawings too.

S!