PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with the Aveline DLC?

Garrison64
12-29-2013, 05:48 AM
It's fairly short, offers no character growth, and ends very abruptly with no further explanation. Is this a lead in to another game or a possible DLC? Have the developers said anything about why they offered this DLC or is this just a gimmick to get PS3/PS4 owners to feel like they got something extra. It was ok but the abrupt ending was disappointing.

DanPenfold
12-29-2013, 06:04 AM
They have not said anything about this at all. But they should in the end so do not worry.

guardian_titan
12-29-2013, 06:56 AM
The Aveline DLC was either:
1.) A reminder of the Liberation game and a connection to the HD version out next month. Some of the missions are being reworked in Liberation HD apparently so maybe the AC4 Aveline DLC makes more sense with the tweaks. Bit of a kick in the teeth to those who have the original Vita version if that's the case, though.
2.) A clue to AC5.
3.) A hint at another game possibly coming with her starring.
4.) Just something Sony asked to have as an exclusive to their console. Aveline was (until next month) a Vita exclusive and she shortly won't be anymore. Although the Aveline DLC for AC4 being a PS3/PS4 exclusive is rather pointless once Liberation HD is out.

Who's to say what the connection is except Ubisoft and like they're talking. Guess we'll find out soon enough, although somehow I doubt there is one.
Not particularly thrilled that Aveline seems to be getting more air time than Connor, though. With 2 rumored AC games for 2014, begs the question if the second is just Liberation HD or if it's an entirely new game. Can't say I'm really following that discussion, though. Don't want to get overly hyped only to end up very disappointed. I just watched a video of the DLC and found it rather flat myself. You learn pretty much nothing. All we get is that Aveline is apparently working under Connor by 1784 ... which makes you wonder why Aveline didn't just kick Connor to the curb and have him working under her. She's older and the more experienced Assassin. A female mentor might be interesting. Aveline's step-mother was a female Templar Grand Master.

We'll probably figure out if there is any connection by March or April or if the DLC was just because. Can't really say I take any of the AC4 DLC seriously unless the next game happens to follow Aveline and/or Adéwalé. They just seem to be there just because with no real purpose beyond playing as another character and point out that the story is no longer connected to Desmond alone. If Aveline or Adéwalé do happen to be the star(s) of the next game(s), can't say I'll be thrilled. I want complete stories. Not half done ones. My friend made a comment it's the job of the fanfic writer to fill in the blanks and fix inconsistencies, but there's a point where it becomes ridiculous. I have no intention of supporting a series that doesn't complete their stories. Bad enough games are coming out these days riddled with bugs, so many plot holes the game's story resembles swiss cheese, bad stories in general, or their gameplay and/or length are something to be desired.

Suppose I wouldn't be so irritated if Juno didn't make a comment at the end of AC3 that Connor still had more to do which eluded to another game. And then we get told he's been brushed under the rug and smashed to smithereens because he's seen as boring. :mad: I found Altair boring yet he got like 2.5 games and a book actually on him ... not his father. Really wish companies would stop putting in threads that end up ultimately going no where and just lead to confusion and irritation. I'd rather they just leave something out if it's only going to get half done. Put the effort into something that will be seen through to the end. Not something that gets cut halfway through. :mad:

oliacr
12-29-2013, 12:30 PM
The Aveline DLC was either:
1.) A reminder of the Liberation game and a connection to the HD version out next month. Some of the missions are being reworked in Liberation HD apparently so maybe the AC4 Aveline DLC makes more sense with the tweaks. Bit of a kick in the teeth to those who have the original Vita version if that's the case, though.
2.) A clue to AC5.
3.) A hint at another game possibly coming with her starring.
4.) Just something Sony asked to have as an exclusive to their console. Aveline was (until next month) a Vita exclusive and she shortly won't be anymore. Although the Aveline DLC for AC4 being a PS3/PS4 exclusive is rather pointless once Liberation HD is out.

Who's to say what the connection is except Ubisoft and like they're talking. Guess we'll find out soon enough, although somehow I doubt there is one.
Not particularly thrilled that Aveline seems to be getting more air time than Connor, though. With 2 rumored AC games for 2014, begs the question if the second is just Liberation HD or if it's an entirely new game. Can't say I'm really following that discussion, though. Don't want to get overly hyped only to end up very disappointed. I just watched a video of the DLC and found it rather flat myself. You learn pretty much nothing. All we get is that Aveline is apparently working under Connor by 1784 ... which makes you wonder why Aveline didn't just kick Connor to the curb and have him working under her. She's older and the more experienced Assassin. A female mentor might be interesting. Aveline's step-mother was a female Templar Grand Master.

We'll probably figure out if there is any connection by March or April or if the DLC was just because. Can't really say I take any of the AC4 DLC seriously unless the next game happens to follow Aveline and/or Adéwalé. They just seem to be there just because with no real purpose beyond playing as another character and point out that the story is no longer connected to Desmond alone. If Aveline or Adéwalé do happen to be the star(s) of the next game(s), can't say I'll be thrilled. I want complete stories. Not half done ones. My friend made a comment it's the job of the fanfic writer to fill in the blanks and fix inconsistencies, but there's a point where it becomes ridiculous. I have no intention of supporting a series that doesn't complete their stories. Bad enough games are coming out these days riddled with bugs, so many plot holes the game's story resembles swiss cheese, bad stories in general, or their gameplay and/or length are something to be desired.

Suppose I wouldn't be so irritated if Juno didn't make a comment at the end of AC3 that Connor still had more to do which eluded to another game. And then we get told he's been brushed under the rug and smashed to smithereens because he's seen as boring. :mad: I found Altair boring yet he got like 2.5 games and a book actually on him ... not his father. Really wish companies would stop putting in threads that end up ultimately going no where and just lead to confusion and irritation. I'd rather they just leave something out if it's only going to get half done. Put the effort into something that will be seen through to the end. Not something that gets cut halfway through. :mad:

It's in Freedom Cry not in Aveline. Aveline DLC is just for small bonus, and a reminder for AC Liberation HD.

adventurewomen
12-29-2013, 01:08 PM
There are some nice hints from the Aveline DLC that opens up for Liberation HD next month.

The Aveline DLC is worth playing, imo.

oliacr
12-29-2013, 04:04 PM
There are some nice hints from the Aveline DLC that opens up for Liberation HD next month.

The Aveline DLC is worth playing, imo.

I know nothing about AC Liberation (just the characters, and the time and the city) that's why I don't know those hints.
Its worth playing. Really liked that. It gave a little AC3-ish feeling.

AdrianJacek
12-31-2013, 12:18 PM
The fact that "Connor still had more to do" may have just been a nod to The Tyranny of King Washington. While most of the DLC only happens inside Connor's and George's heads the events are still important because it's thanks to Connor GW didn't want to be a King. Think about it - if it wasn't for Connor Washington would have turned the USA into a monarchy and also wanted to conquer England. So either England would've ceased to exist or the USA.

adventurewomen
12-31-2013, 12:57 PM
I know nothing about AC Liberation (just the characters, and the time and the city) that's why I don't know those hints.
Its worth playing. Really liked that. It gave a little AC3-ish feeling.
Well you'll find out more about Liberation next month. :)

The fact that "Connor still had more to do" may have just been a nod to The Tyranny of King Washington. While most of the DLC only happens inside Connor's and George's heads the events are still important because it's thanks to Connor GW didn't want to be a King. Think about it - if it wasn't for Connor Washington would have turned the USA into a monarchy and also wanted to conquer England. So either England would've ceased to exist or the USA.
Actually the ToKW episodes are Connor's dream sequences that happen after the events of AC3. Dreams are significant to Native Americans, I'm Mohawk btw.