PDA

View Full Version : AC4Ending Confusion [Spoilers?]

LieutenantRex
12-28-2013, 06:46 AM
I was replaying the AC4 ending when I realized something that really confused me. Haytham's mother is never mentioned, and it is implied that Edward really loved his daughter, so the game sublety tells you that Edward bedded his own daughter which led to Haytham. Kinda creepy to know that about Edward being a slight... well, pedophile. I guess it was just the way of the times. I was really confused by it and wanted to know if anyone else picked up on it.

MnemonicSyntax
12-28-2013, 06:54 AM
Uh. WTF? No.

Edward married a woman named Tessa years later. It's in the Forsaken novel.

xryanx28
12-28-2013, 07:05 AM
only a pedophile could think that the ending of ac4 implied that edward banged his own daughter and had a child with her! wtf man wtf...

I-Like-Pie45
12-28-2013, 07:16 AM
He's my brother AND my son!

An Assassin detective hired to expose an adulterer finds himself caught up in a web of deceit, corruption and murder

A neo-noir drama

Welshtown

Coming to a next-gen console and PC near you soon

MnemonicSyntax
12-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Sounds like Burial at Sea.

pirate1802
12-28-2013, 10:23 AM
Wait what??? Now I've seen everything.

oliacr
12-28-2013, 10:28 AM
In the end he told Haytham when his arms are tired they will leave that posh gig and go to his mother. Since Jenny was there, she couldn't be his mother :D And yes in forsaken it was mentioned that his mother is Tessa Kenway plus you can read it on AC wikia.

pirate1802
12-28-2013, 10:55 AM
When he mentioned the White's it brought back buried memories.. :(

roostersrule2
12-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Hahahahaha wtf?

killzab
12-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Well, it's a translation issue.

The guy's not crazy at all, many people understood this.

We had the same problem in the french version. My girlfriend screamed in horror at that scene.

In the french version, Edward says "we'll go have chocolate with your mother" and is looking at Jenny the moment he's saying it, hence the confusion.

oliacr
12-29-2013, 12:00 AM
I can imagine that Edward and Jenny.... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Open only if you finished AC4...
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131119013918/assassinscreed/images/0/09/AC4_Kenway_Family_Opera_House.png

MnemonicSyntax
12-29-2013, 12:07 AM
Okay, just stop. Generally this is not something you discuss, especially in public. Edward was married to a woman named Tessa, and she is Haytham's mother.

Not Jenny.

Topic needs to be closed.

SixKeys
12-29-2013, 12:13 AM
I wonder the testicle...

Atair0000
12-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Edward actually married Tessa and had Haytham. The other way wud be just creepy

ze_topazio
12-29-2013, 12:29 AM
I can imagine that Edward and Jenny.... :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Open only if you finished AC4...
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131119013918/assassinscreed/images/0/09/AC4_Kenway_Family_Opera_House.png

Poor Jenny is so ugly.

killzab
12-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Okay, just stop. Generally this is not something you discuss, especially in public. Edward was married to a woman named Tessa, and she is Haytham's mother.

Not Jenny.

Topic needs to be closed.

Why not, it's real life, it happens... No need to censor anything.

MnemonicSyntax
12-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Why not, it's real life, it happens... No need to censor anything.

For one, the maturity rating of this forum is a "General" rating.

And two, it may happen but it's usually kept in secret if so, because it's a social taboo.

guardian_titan
12-29-2013, 01:21 AM
As was stated, Haytham's mother is Tessa Kenway, not Jenny, which is in the novel Forsaken. You can discover this just by reading the AC Wiki on Haytham and Edward.

This is also eluded to in the AC4 novel (which I managed to get my little paws on and read recently). Edward states being setup with the Stephenson-Oakley family in London which is Tessa's family thus eluding to how he met her.

Incest does happen and unfortunately it happens more frequently than people want to admit to. It wasn't that long ago that uncles and aunts could marry their nieces and nephews. In some places, you can still marry your first cousin. Monarchs are often notorious for being intimate with their siblings and relatives. Egypt was certainly bad about it. Tutankhamen either married his sister or his niece (depending on if he was Akhenaten's brother or son). Ramses II was said to have married some of his daughters. Cleopatra was married to her brother. I know there's cases similar to it in other monarchies, too.

When you look at it, if your family has remained in the same place for over a century and the town is not that large, chances are you're related to a good part of the population. Longer your family has been in an area, the more likely you're related to a good part of the town. Also when you think about it, you go far enough back and we're all related. Those in Britain likely have a common ancestor much like those in Europe have one and those in Asia and North America. A guy in the 1700s might have something like 6000 descendants today. A guy who lived around the 1000s might have a million or more. Go back to maybe 10,000 BC and chances are there's a guy in there with a billion or better descendants today. But, frankly, this topic is irrelevant. We know full well who Haytham's mother is and it's not Jenny.

It was a folly on Ubisoft's part to not include Tessa at all, but they probably didn't want her to detract from Edward, Jenny, and Haytham. Might have been felt putting her in might have resulted in more confusion especially with Jenny there. Unfortunately, things do get lost in translation. But there is an easy enough solution to that:
1.) Read the tie-in novels. They're often available at your local library. If not, libraries often let you request a book. So no excuse not to read it.
2.) Read the AC wiki. It's free. No excuse not to at least read this.
A little research can often clear up many misconceptions ... and avoid bringing up topics that will cause the forums to get irritated with you.

LieutenantRex
12-29-2013, 02:21 AM
Oh, haha. I feel like an idiot. I read Forsaken before, but missed the part about Tessa.