PDA

View Full Version : Environmental and Graphical Upgrades For ACV

Wolfmeister1010
12-28-2013, 04:41 AM
The level of detail in AC4 is inspiring, but there are some things that are..well, its kinda dumb for them not being in.

Graphical Upgrades Needed in AC5

1. Blood. I will say it again. Blegh. Need blood that puddles and does not look like confetti. When you shoot bodies, more blood should appear. Visible wounds should also appear where enemies are shot or stabbed.

2. Draw distance. This is one of the thing that has always been an issue of AC. No matter which generation you play AC4 on, the grass still looks like clay from a distance. Sid, if you are reading, you should post that ac3 picture of haytham with the ugly hills in the background to show what I mean.

3. NPC character models. Something that has also been an issue in all games.

4. Natural Geography. Those big rocky islands that jut the sea of AC4 are pretty ugly, even on next gen. There is some graphical term that goes with it....I can not remember. But they are very jagged (graphically) and low res.

Other than that, AC, at this point, has amazing graphics in nearly every other category. The water and rain are the best I have seen in any video game in history, the textures hold up nicely in most scenarios, and the lighting of next gen AC4 is the first game to surpass AC1's magnificent lighting.

Environmental upgrades

1. Things from AC3 that were missing in AC4, like blending animations, climbable rocks, and moving haycarts and carriages should return. I bet that the rocks were unclimbable in AC4 so that people can not go past the boundaries of the roamable areas of the islands, but it is unlikely that this situation will return in the next game..so.. Also, please go back to the AC3 style of blending, with the circle above the head, not the ugly AC2 greying.

2. More destruction. It would really really add immersion if there were more destructible environments in AC5. Like, maybe wood would splinter from gunshots and stone would get a visible bullet impact crack. Windows get bullet holes, lanterns you shoot shatter and spread fire.

3. Reactive environments. Water should actually react and splash to bullets and
other projectiles. Same with any other surface. If thrown harpoons make the water splash, then so should lead bullets.

As you can see, I am Pretty peeved that the only surfaces that react to bullets are live enemies. If you shoot at anything else, the bullet apparently disappears into thin air.

Sound effects

1. Pistol sound effects are still ****e, even though there were some amazing effects from the havana stealth demo that never made it in. Jesus where is that signature hidden blade sound? It used to be a staple of the game! Now you would be lucky for it to happen once out of every 10 air assassinations!

Also, yeah the weapon sound effects definitely need work. They are not as satisfying as they should be, like in ACR

ProletariatPleb
12-28-2013, 04:45 AM
Sid, if you are reading, you should post that ac3 picture of haytham with the ugly hills in the background to show what I mean.
http://i.minus.com/iQeNf03cQ4G6g.jpg

4. Natural Geography. Those big rocky islands that jut the sea of AC4 are pretty ugly, even on next gen. There is some graphical term that goes with it....I can not remember. But they are very jagged (graphically) and low res.
Geometry.

Wolfmeister1010
12-28-2013, 04:49 AM
Thank you Sid. That picture is disgusting

Kagurra
I agree with most of everything, especially blood and wounds, but the rain is not that spectacular. I know it's not out yet, but even in 2012 Watch Dogs had the best weather I'd seen. If you go back and replay the first sequence the rain doesn't look all that great. I like the moving foliage and what not, but it's not dynamic like Watch Dogs.

Water looks spectacular in AC4, until you get into it. The water doesn't react to your character, or any character very well. And I would agree with you on the blending thing before I played the game, but after playing it, it's not all that bad. The little dots over the heads were distracting. I would love it if the greying got removed, but they kept the blending texture on the ground of the groups.

The grey makes sense in the crowd. It's supposed to be like how the guards see you, as just another person the crowd, that's why they all grey and blend together, but it's stupid in other cases. Why do you turn grey in stalking zones? There's no other people lol.

I have high hopes for the next, next-gen AC though.

I-Like-Pie45
I agree the game should be more violent and bloody

for example, maybe we can fire arrows at people and we actually see their eyeballs go pop-pop or teeth fly out when punched in the face
or maybe heads will actually start caving in the more one hits them with a club
slash someone across the belly with a sword and their innards start to fall out

Kagurra
12-28-2013, 04:50 AM
I agree the game should be more violent and bloody

for example, maybe we can fire arrows at people and we actually see their eyeballs go pop-pop or teeth fly out when punched in the face
or maybe heads will actually start caving in the more one hits them with a club
slash someone across the belly with a sword and their innards start to fall out

No...

AdamPearce
12-28-2013, 05:25 AM
They also need an overall physic engine, it's nice to have amazing textures but if your objects does not have any impact then it's useless. Here I mostly refer to the NPCs which looks like stick character, all of them. I mean, the guards looks like starving farmers, when they should be bodybuilt soldiers. To this day, AC1 still have the best physic in term of NPCs. The impacts are wonderfull, when Altair strikes his sword in the neck of his enemy, you really feel like he is striking a sword trought the neck of his enemy. They need to make them more Heavy, to make it feel like a real body, not an empty bag. The Last of Us is the perfect example, the NPCs model for soldiers and survivors feels heavy and pact, when the Infected like Runners or Clickers are quick and lighter. Tho the Big Fat Infected really feels like a Big Fat Infected. But since AC's combat system is totally different from the one of TLoU, I'll reffer to Ryse, that fits perfectly what I picture to be an excellent NPC model for AC.

But this brings up another problem: the sound effects. Since AC3, it seems like the devs don't know how to deal with it anymore. In ACR the sounds were perfect, the blades shocking into each other, the swords passing trougth the bellys, the broken bones, the only thing that was needed for it to be perfect is a better NPCs model that would seem more 'heavy'. Now whit AC3, they've killed the hidden blades (no more epic TCHIIIING), the guns feels like shouting smoke, the sword could have been sticks the result would have been the same and the Tomohawk is ok, cause it's actually the only one to have a proper and developed sound effects.

ProletariatPleb
12-28-2013, 05:29 AM
They also need an overall physic engine, it's nice to have amazing textures but if your objects does not have any impact then it's useless. Here I mostly refer to the NPCs which looks like stick character, all of them. I mean, the guards looks like starving farmers, when they should be bodybuilt soldiers. To this day, AC1 still have the best physic in term of NPCs. The impacts are wonderfull, when Altair strikes his sword in the neck of his enemy, you really feel like he is striking a sword trought the neck of his enemy. They need to make them more Heavy, to make it feel like a real body, not an empty bag. The Last of Us is the perfect example, the NPCs model for soldiers and survivors feels heavy and pact, when the Infected like Runners or Clickers are quick and lighter. Tho the Big Fat Infected really feels like a Big Fat Infected. But since AC's combat system is totally different from the one of TLoU, I'll reffer to Ryse, that fits perfectly what I picture to be an excellent NPC model for AC.

But this brings up another problem: the sound effects. Since AC3, it seems like the devs don't know how to deal with it anymore. In ACR the sounds were perfect, the blades shocking into each other, the swords passing trougth the bellys, the broken bones, the only thing that was needed for it to be perfect is a better NPCs model that would seem more 'heavy'. Now whit AC3, they've killed the hidden blades (no more epic TCHIIIING), the guns feels like shouting smoke, the sword could have been sticks the result would have been the same and the Tomohawk is ok, cause it's actually the only one to have a proper and developed sound effects.
This, so much this.

Wolfmeister1010
12-28-2013, 05:34 AM

Sound effects are the thing that have bothered me the most, pistol effects in AC3 are ****ing awful. And I wasSOOO looking forward to the awesome pistol sound effects shwn in some trailers for AC4 but no! They had to scrao those and stay with the ****ty ones from AC3. I really ****ing miss the "shhiing" sound effect of hidden blades. That was like, its thing! Now it rarely ever happens.

AdamPearce
12-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Sound effects are the thing that have bothered me the most, pistol effects in AC3 are ****ing awful. And I wasSOOO looking forward to the awesome pistol sound effects shwn in some trailers for AC4 but no! They had to scrao those and stay with the ****ty ones from AC3. I really ****ing miss the "shhiing" sound effect of hidden blades. That was like, its thing! Now it rarely ever happens.

It never happens, ever.

Also, on this point, what was the deal with the 10cm Hidden Blades in the first place? Like omg what are those? AC1-2-B-R blades sounded majectic, they were freaking long and strong. Now they look like tinny stick, they ain't even longer that Edward's finger, when they used to have 2-hand size!

Plus, the must remake the assassination's animation, they just awfull to watch, even AC1 did hella better, and god knows how crappy it was. I never get the back stab thing, I mean, sure a blade in the lower back hurts...but to the point that it can kill you...nah. And where are the amazing active cameras we used to have, you know the ACR's slow-mo with the little sound effect and the camera angle, I miss that.

Kagurra
12-28-2013, 05:57 AM
It never happens, ever.

Also, on this point, what was the deal with the 10cm Hidden Blades in the first place? Like omg what are those? AC1-2-B-R blades sounded majectic, they were freaking long and strong. Now they look like tinny stick, they ain't even longer that Edward's finger, when they used to have 2-hand size!

Plus, the must remake the assassination's animation, they just awfull to watch, even AC1 did hella better, and god knows how crappy it was. I never get the back stab thing, I mean, sure a blade in the lower back hurts...but to the point that it can kill you...nah. And where are the amazing active cameras we used to have, you know the ACR's slow-mo with the little sound effect and the camera angle, I miss that.

I don't know about you, but I really really love the hidden blade design in AC4. They're thicker and unique looking compared to the other games.

AdamPearce
12-28-2013, 06:02 AM
I don't know about you, but I really really love the hidden blade design in AC4. They're thicker and unique looking compared to the other games.

yeah they are fat thick short, they sound like really cheap hidden blades. However if they where 10cm longer I wouldn't have said a thing, but with the actual model..naah. Can't get my word for it, they really seem 'pirate' but idk, I just don't get the same feeling with those one.

Kagurra
12-28-2013, 06:08 AM
yeah they are fat thick short, they sound like really cheap hidden blades. However if they where 10cm longer I wouldn't have said a thing, but with the actual model..naah. Can't get my word for it, they really seem 'pirate' but idk, I just don't get the same feeling with those one.

Well, I think they were successful with the design. :I And honestly, if they are thicker, that means they're stronger. They were pretty thin in Ezio games, and he smacked them around like they were indestructible. A tiny bit silly.

Dev_Anj
12-28-2013, 06:17 AM
Well, I think they were successful with the design. :I And honestly, if they are thicker, that means they're stronger. They were pretty thin in Ezio games, and he smacked them around like they were indestructible. A tiny bit silly.

I never really minded the design of the Hidden Blade itself in the previous games, although I haven't seen the Hidden Blades for Assassin's Creed 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 up close, but honestly they always seemed utterly impractical for combat. The way Ezio swung them made them feel more like swinging two static knifes to be honest. What bothered me most was the overtly thick bracers for Ezio. They just seemed to draw too much attention to a weapon that was supposed to be hidden from plain sight.

Kagurra
12-28-2013, 06:39 AM
I never really minded the design of the Hidden Blade itself in the previous games, although I haven't seen the Hidden Blades for Assassin's Creed 3 and Assassin's Creed 4 up close, but honestly they always seemed utterly impractical for combat. The way Ezio swung them made them feel more like swinging two static knifes to be honest. What bothered me most was the overtly thick bracers for Ezio. They just seemed to draw too much attention to a weapon that was supposed to be hidden from plain sight.

The bracer's where a big obvious, especially the Assassin one. They're pretty hidden in AC4, at least with Edward's default robes.

Consus_E
12-28-2013, 07:10 AM
The bracer's where a big obvious, especially the Assassin one. They're pretty hidden in AC4, at least with Edward's default robes.

At least Ezio had his cape to cover it...